PDA

View Full Version : Nicanor runs today

098poi
05-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Just before the big race.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/56988/nicanor-draws-post-13-in-dixie-stakes

joanied
05-15-2010, 11:28 AM
I'll be rooting for him :jump:

I hope 'they' don't dwell on Barbaro today...I'm scared they will show his breakdown...hope they have enough brains not to do that...especially after the spill in the BES yesterday.

eastie
05-15-2010, 11:30 AM
scratch of the 11 helps him .... :13::12::5::9: tri box

joanied
05-15-2010, 11:45 AM
Good, eastie... This is THE one day a win by Nicanor would be super cool:ThmbUp:

SmartyParty
05-15-2010, 01:44 PM
2:12 I'll be rooted to my set to see Nicanor win!

joanied
05-15-2010, 03:41 PM
2:12 I'll be rooted to my set to see Nicanor win!

Me too:jump:

098poi
05-15-2010, 05:29 PM
NBC you are a bunch of Mother******'s. My nephew is home from college and I knew the Dixie Stakes would be on T.V. right?!! NBC feels it is more important to go over and over about the second leg of the triple crown and BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. Man what a lame decision to not show the race. They had a great human interest story right there and they blew it!

I saw the replay on Youbet and I guess Nic tried today but he may be out of his league.

toussaud
05-15-2010, 05:35 PM
seriously.. i don't know what to say.

it would be bad enough if they just did not show the dixie, considering alot of these horses will be in breeders cup races later this year.

how do you not show the dixie stakes, with barbaro's full brother in the race, 1 hour before the preakness in which he broke down in, I have no idea.

that is literally snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

You could not draw up a better storyline than that.

Valuist
05-15-2010, 05:36 PM
NBC sucks.

slew101
05-15-2010, 06:38 PM
They probably had no idea.

how do you not show the dixie stakes, with barbaro's full brother in the race, 1 hour before the preakness in which he broke down in, I have no idea.

that is literally snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

You could not draw up a better storyline than that.

cuzimahustler
05-15-2010, 06:54 PM
Your all right...Hype up the horse more than he already is just to get defeated.

JustRalph
05-15-2010, 08:13 PM
they are running that horse too long if you ask me.......

joanied
05-16-2010, 11:02 AM
Hey, I'd much rather see an interview with a skier than the Dixie:rolleyes: ...unbeleivable.
Nicanor ran pretty poorly, but no one knew that before the race...why they didn't show it is beyond me!

JustRalph...you may be right...Matz need to try a flat mile...on turf. Me thinks they could get another 5 or 6 full sibs to Barbaro, but will never come up with one nearly as good.

Nikki1997
05-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Hey, I'd much rather see an interview with a skier than the Dixie:rolleyes: ...unbeleivable.
Nicanor ran pretty poorly, but no one knew that before the race...why they didn't show it is beyond me!

JustRalph...you may be right...Matz need to try a flat mile...on turf. Me thinks they could get another 5 or 6 full sibs to Barbaro, but will never come up with one nearly as good.

The brothers are not miler types at all .

The distance is not the problem--the problem is that of all three that have run on the track, Nicanor is the most aggressive and rank, and burns himself out fighting the riders .

He did best with Rosie Napravnik, who was firm but polite with him .

He is a decent animal, but no Barbaro, and needs some more work on his acceptance to handling .

Matz is aware of his aggression issues .

-----------------Mikki

racefinder2
05-16-2010, 06:35 PM
Not showing the race was kind of strange, considering they DID show the big Turf race before the Ky Dby--why not this one???

But then Im still trying to figure out ESPN-not only did they blow off the BE Susan on Friday, but no undercard races on Saturday, zippo. They used to have almost all of them...

Stillriledup
05-16-2010, 07:18 PM
What happened?

Nikki1997
05-16-2010, 10:01 PM
Nicanor jumped up in class to a G2 and ran into old back class horse Strike A Deal--an almost million dollar winner and graded on turf .

He gave chase for a mile and tired to finish 6th .

Behind him were some OK horses though .

Not quite ready for prime time, and still has some attitude issues, but in this instance, he was more than likely outclassed .

It was annoying that the race was not televised and I have not yet seen a video of it ...

---------------------------------------M

Cardus
05-16-2010, 10:10 PM
I'll be rooting for him :jump:

I hope 'they' don't dwell on Barbaro today...I'm scared they will show his breakdown...hope they have enough brains not to do that...especially after the spill in the BES yesterday.

Had NBC covered the race and had a pre-race segment, not covering the "Barbaro" angle of Nicanor running in the race would have been irresponsible journalism.

cj
05-16-2010, 10:24 PM
Had NBC covered the race and had a pre-race segment, not covering the "Barbaro" angle of Nicanor running in the race would have been irresponsible journalism.

If only they had done something half as interesting. I don't know if I have seen a worse hour and a half of television before the race. Barbaro and the prerace coverage both should have been put down.

Cardus
05-16-2010, 10:29 PM
If only they had done something half as interesting. I don't know if I have seen a worse hour and a half of television before the race. Barbaro and the prerace coverage both should have been put down.

I didn't see anything race-related until about 20 minutes to post to the Preakness, but I knew that NBC had not covered the Dixie. I would not have assumed that NBC was going to cover it if I had needed to watch it.

However, Joanied's notion that NBC should not have had "the brains" to cover Barbaro's breakdown if it had shown the race was utterly faulty. It would have been newsworthy.

toussaud
05-16-2010, 11:06 PM
the horse airs it out with rosie on his back, then he goes to a different jock, and he stops winning. that's brilliant.

every race this horse has won is with rosie on her back.

Dahoss9698
05-16-2010, 11:23 PM
the horse airs it out with rosie on his back, then he goes to a different jock, and he stops winning. that's brilliant.

every race this horse has won is with rosie on her back.

Yeah, that's it. Forget about the competition he was facing. He's run two mediocre races now because Napravnik isn't riding him. :lol:

toussaud
05-16-2010, 11:33 PM
dude are you like 5?

NO one is saying that the compitition isn't better but why mess up a good thing. She aired when she was on his back and gets taken off. it's screwed up is all i'm saying.

dude, seriously.

Dahoss9698
05-16-2010, 11:46 PM
dude are you like 5?

NO one is saying that the compitition isn't better but why mess up a good thing. She aired when she was on his back and gets taken off. it's screwed up is all i'm saying.

dude, seriously.

I don't know if she was really taken off. When he ran at Delaware, where Napravnik rides, she was on him. There is nothing screwed up about it.

YOU are the one that made a ridiculous statement. Not me. He would have finished where he did regardless of who was riding him. He's not very good on turf. I think he's better on dirt, but on turf he is an allowance horse at absolute best.

He aired because he faced bad horses. Now that he is on with better competition he is struggling. These are basic concepts.

Audioslavery
07-10-2010, 05:12 PM
I didn't feel the need to make a new thread for this but I really hope Nicanor does well today!

jognlope
07-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Wow this was a difficult thread to trace, let me know where he raced today and how he did please.

FenceBored
07-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Wow this was a difficult thread to trace, let me know where he raced today and how he did please.

Del 10 - Sussex Stakes (off the turf); finished 3rd of 4.

bigmack
07-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Del 10 - Sussex Stakes (off the turf); finished 3rd of 4.
Nooooooooooooo

http://www.insidesocal.com/greenspirited/tissue_box.jpg
:cool:

jognlope
07-10-2010, 07:39 PM
He does that a lot, too bad.

BluegrassProf
07-10-2010, 08:58 PM
He does that a lot, too bad.Question: "He does what, jognlope?"
Answer: Exactly.

;)

jldonah
07-10-2010, 11:44 PM
Short fields all day. I think the horse did pretty well on/in mud and the trainer could very easily have scratched him with justification. None of the the fans who seemed to be there just to watch Nicanor run were very disappointed, as far as I could tell. I bet against him but he's a game horse.

GlenninOhio
07-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Short fields all day. I think the horse did pretty well on/in mud and the trainer could very easily have scratched him with justification. None of the the fans who seemed to be there just to watch Nicanor run were very disappointed, as far as I could tell. I bet against him but he's a game horse.

No argument.

They bred La Ville Rouge (Barbaro's dam) back to Dynaformer in 2006 (Nicanor), 2007 (Lentenor) and 2009 (a yearling named Margano).

In addition, the mare was barren in 2008 and slipped in 2010. We'll never know for sure, but they may have bred her back to Dynaformer for 5 years in a row.

I am by no means passing judgment on their choices - I may well have chosen to do the same thing in their shoes - but it does set up some very high expectations for the offspring.