PDA

View Full Version : Bad WinStar Decision

egreen
05-15-2010, 12:01 AM
I thought Winstar was pretty savvy to have a "name the half-brother" to Super Saver contest. But these scums changed the terms of the contest after it was underway. It's pretty obvious that they are hoping to capitalize on the potential Triple Crown implications. This blows for the folks who entered initially. Shame on Winstar!

PaceAdvantage
05-15-2010, 12:09 AM
Details?

egreen
05-15-2010, 07:25 AM
It's on Winstar's site. They started the contest with a deadline of today and changed the rules after they started, due to "popular demand," as their site states, which is absolutely absurd.

depalma113
05-15-2010, 09:31 AM
Extending the deadline is not a bad decision. The contest is designed to get people to go to their website, seems like a very smart business move to me. Besides, if your entry is good enough to win, it will still be good enough to win on Tuesday.

joanied
05-15-2010, 11:49 AM
As long as everything is on the up & up...I don't care that they changed the deadline...I thought it was a fun thing, so sent in a name suggestion.
:)

Stillriledup
05-15-2010, 07:50 PM
Seems like they have different rules for different people. One set of rules for people who submitted their name before the original deadline and those who submitted after. Submitting after gives you a better chance because you have more time. Also, depalma said it would be good enough to win on Tuesday and it won't matter, well, i think that you have less of a chance with the new rules because there is more entries. Regardless of how good your entry looks, you have less of a chance to win just because there's more competition.

Hedevar
05-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Changing rules in the middle of a contest is akin to changing horses in the middle of a stream. It is not a good idea,

Valuist
05-15-2010, 09:41 PM
It wasn't their only bad decision. I said right after the Derby the right thing for Winstar to do would be to race Rule, as well as Super Saver, in the Preakness.

Fager Fan
05-15-2010, 11:14 PM
Seems like they have different rules for different people. One set of rules for people who submitted their name before the original deadline and those who submitted after. Submitting after gives you a better chance because you have more time. Also, depalma said it would be good enough to win on Tuesday and it won't matter, well, i think that you have less of a chance with the new rules because there is more entries. Regardless of how good your entry looks, you have less of a chance to win just because there's more competition.

No offense, but do you really care that much? If there's a name there they like well enough they'll name the horse that, regardless of whether they got the name suggestion in the first hour of their contest or 200 entries later.

WinterTriangle
05-15-2010, 11:34 PM
If any decison was stupid, it was asking for a name before the Preakness.

Most of us were busy handicapping cards for the weekend.

Now, I just might have some breathing time on sunday to think up a name.:jump:

joanied
05-17-2010, 04:33 PM
I still don't give a crap if they changed the rules...wasn't a good thing to do...but yey, life is too short to get your undies twisted over a contest...like someone mentioned...regardless of the time a name is submitted...if they see one they like...it's a winner!

Anyone bold enough to type in the name they sent in?
Mine was; 'All Charged Up'
:)

the little guy
05-17-2010, 04:54 PM
Wait until Dahoss finds out.

Bullet Plane
05-17-2010, 05:08 PM
My suggestion was "Silas Marner."

Stillriledup
05-17-2010, 05:08 PM
No offense, but do you really care that much? If there's a name there they like well enough they'll name the horse that, regardless of whether they got the name suggestion in the first hour of their contest or 200 entries later.

No, i don't really care all that much.

Spalding No!
05-17-2010, 05:11 PM
It wasn't their only bad decision. I said right after the Derby the right thing for Winstar to do would be to race Rule, as well as Super Saver, in the Preakness.

According to the DRF, Rule isn't in full training. Not sure he was in proper condition to run in the Preakness.

eastie
05-17-2010, 06:42 PM
I went with Superdoubletriple.

Ocala Mike
05-17-2010, 11:29 PM
Some of the names I came up with (one of which I actually submitted):

Gold Chargecard
Power Up Gold
Gold Visa
Pedal To The Medal
Espresso Eccelente

Ocala Mike

joanied
05-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Does anyone know when they will announce the winning name?

Ocala Mike...your Gold Visa name could be something like...Visa D' Gold ?

It's not as easy as some might think to find a good name...especially with some stallion names that are all but impossible to include within a name...like med D' Oro...that one's a bitch...so is a name like Curlin...then ya get a name like Tiznow and you can come up with all sorts of good names :)

Ocala Mike...have you lived in Ocala very long? I loved living down there...many moons ago!!

Cardus
05-18-2010, 12:02 PM
Still think my rationale for "Golden Shower" -- a Megdalia D'Oro whose half-brother won the Derby in a downpour -- was solid.

egreen
05-18-2010, 12:17 PM

It's not as easy as some might think to find a good name...especially with some stallion names that are all but impossible to include within a name...like med D' Oro...that one's a bitch...so is a name like Curlin...then ya get a name like Tiznow and you can come up with all sorts of good names :)

Ocala Mike...have you lived in Ocala very long? I loved living down there...many moons ago!!

Medaglia D'oro is an expresso, so it really isn't that difficult to play with. Curlin will be tough. He was named for the slave grandfather or great grandfather of original part-owner Shirley Cunningham. I suspect folks will stay away from that connection.

Kimsus
05-18-2010, 12:17 PM
When I read the title, I thought this thread was more on the decision to race Super Silver off of 2 weeks rest, yeah I know the derby winner doesn't pass on the Preakness but what a terrible angle it is with Pletcher horses, who require weeks, months, years in some cases to run back at a peak level off the meds.

Cardus
05-18-2010, 12:52 PM

Ocala has changed a lot since "many moons ago."

There is a Kwik Mart on Route 200 now.

Ocala Mike
05-18-2010, 02:24 PM
joanied, been in Ocala for 15 years, and born and raised in Brooklyn (Williamsburgh) like you. Yes, Ocala has changed a lot, even since I've come down here. We're on a small horse farm around 15 miles from the "strip" that Route 200 has become, and we like it fine. Tried breeding thoroughbreds for a few years, and even got a few to the track, but we basically "went broke trying."

Ocala Mike

joanied
05-18-2010, 04:44 PM
Medaglia D'oro is an expresso, so it really isn't that difficult to play with. Curlin will be tough. He was named for the slave grandfather or great grandfather of original part-owner Shirley Cunningham. I suspect folks will stay away from that connection.

oh, well, maybe you're right...guess you could come up with quite a few names about coffee...although, I think because it's Winstar and Super Charger is their mare, they'd like the name to reflect her...but yeah, Curlin is a toughie, and no doubt, you'd sure want to stay away from the origins of Curlin's name:eek: ...I happened to latch onto him when he first came around because I had a friend named Curlin...not too many around:)

joanied
05-18-2010, 05:15 PM
joanied, been in Ocala for 15 years, and born and raised in Brooklyn (Williamsburgh) like you. Yes, Ocala has changed a lot, even since I've come down here. We're on a small horse farm around 15 miles from the "strip" that Route 200 has become, and we like it fine. Tried breeding thoroughbreds for a few years, and even got a few to the track, but we basically "went broke trying."

Ocala Mike

Wiiliamsburg....that's practically NYC :) ...I was south of there in Bensonhurst...watched them build the V-Narrows Bridge...that was something to behold!! I do miss the old neighborhood and hope to get back one day...dragging my husband...he hasn't been east of the Mississippi :eek:

No doubt Ocala has changed...I lived down there in the 70's for a while...it's where I fell in love with mares & foals...worked on a farm and loved it. But it was a small town back then, and I think half the TB farms are gone now...I beleive RT 200 was a two lane highway, not traveled much...I have looked at Ocala maps and just can't remember the highway that our farm was on...I know that along that h'way was Bo Bett farm, Bent Tree farm, Happy Valley farm & Harbor View (my ex brother in law, and ex husband galloped horses at Harbor View) and ...you'd turn left at an intersection to get to our farm, and a few miles past us was Hooper Farm. I'm not sure if we used Rt 200 or W. H'way 328 or maybe H'way 40...I just can't remember...I have an album full of photos, but I can shoot myself for never writting in it, at least the address of the farm...Elias Bros. farm...nothing special...we stood a son of Native Charger and a son of Intentionally...
I can understand you guys going broke trying to raise TB's on a small scale...it's hard as hell...it's a tough enough business to get into...and if you don't have a lot of $$, then you need a lot of luck to break even, let alone make a profit.
But...if at least some of Ocala is a nice as it was back then...you are a lucky dude to live there....I keep telling my husband we need to sell our farm, move to Ocala and grow coconuts:lol: ...well, maybe not, but Pecans is a good business...we had dozens of huge pecan trees on the farm down there!

Thanks, Williamsburg...this was s nice stroll down memory lane:)