PDA

View Full Version : ever know a pro athlete? neighbor, friend, etc

Zippy Chippy
05-14-2010, 06:50 PM
Just wondering if anyone ever went to school or was a neighbor of a pro athlete.

My neighbor my whole life was Eddie pellegrini. Played for red sox, cardinals. And was good friends with Jim Carey hockey goalie my entire childhood. I know someone can beat out those 2 gems.

GaryG
05-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Jason Witten, grew up here and his brother is now the hs football coach. He is a fine young man who never got above his raisin'.

kenwoodall2
05-14-2010, 06:57 PM
My high school gym teacher, said the played pro wrestling in the 1963 Boston Patriots uniform, because in the on season he was on of their offensive lineman.

Greyfox
05-14-2010, 07:17 PM
I coached several athletes who have gone on to greater things including the Olympics.
But I'll mention one here who some of you might know from his football career in Florida and the NFL in Texas.
I coached Alonzo Highsmith briefly who was an outstanding athlete as a kid and knew his father Wally well. I think Alonzo is a scout for Green Bay now, but I'm not certain. He tried boxing for awhile after football, but that didn't go far.
Personally, I always thought Alonzo's younger sister Robin would be an Olympian as she was even more gifted than him. I moved, they moved, and we never kept in touch.

Zippy Chippy
05-14-2010, 07:22 PM
I coached several athletes who have gone on to greater things including the Olympics.
But I'll mention one here who some of you might know from his football career in Florida and the NFL in Texas.
I coached Alonzo Highsmith briefly who was an outstanding athlete as a kid and knew his father Wally well. I think Alonzo is a scout for Green Bay now, but I'm not certain. He tried boxing for awhile after football, but that didn't go far.
Personally, I always thought Alonzo's younger sister Robin would be an Olympian as she was even more gifted than him. I moved, they moved, and we never kept in touch.

I remember that he tried boxing

RaceBookJoe
05-14-2010, 09:16 PM
I remember that he tried boxing

My brother-in-law is on the coaching staff of the Carolina Panthers, not sure if that counts. Female beach vollyballer Rachel Wacholder is a relative through marriage. In the mid -late 80's i used to hang out with Mike Tyson, and in the 90's i would hang out with wwe star Ron Killings ( R-Truth ). rbj

Rise Over Run
05-14-2010, 09:54 PM

He's been a scout for the Packers for quite a while, at least the last 5 years. I don't remember seeing him on ESPN during this years draft, but I have seen him referenced in the past.

Dave Schwartz
05-14-2010, 11:58 PM
I went to high school with Bucky Dent, although he transferred from my high school to Hialeah the year I left school. (yes, I was a high school drop out - who went to college a little early.)

I also knew a bunch of his teammates from all the lunches we had together with the Yankees when they visited in Anaheim. Boy, I could tell you stories...

Because of my minor connection to the Angels, and playing winter ball with a few of them I knew some of the Angels, but none enough to call "friend."

Can't forget Sparky Lyle (who taught me how to laugh at Reggie Jackson), Charley Lau (who taught me how to hit - but a little late to help me go anywhere) and Al Downing (who taught me how to teach pitching and more than a little about sports medicine).

Dave Schwartz

PS: Do umpires count?

Greyfox
05-15-2010, 12:36 AM
He's been a scout for the Packers for quite a while, at least the last 5 years. I don't remember seeing him on ESPN during this years draft, but I have seen him referenced in the past.

Thank you for the post. Let me mention a conversation that I had with his Dad who also played in the NFL.
(Alonzo was an athlete for sure.)

Alonzo's Dad Wally Highsmith also played in the NFL. We were friends when we were younger.

(The early 1970's,....Alonzo and Robin were kids.)

Wally Highsmith was huge. I mean huge. He stood 6'6".
Wally had once met Muhammad Ali (Cassius Clay) in a social situation.
Wally told me:
"They's lyin. I met Ali...they said he was 6 foot 4 inches...
I'm 6'6" and I was lookin' up to 'im.
Ali is big....I mean big...
He is a big man."

(circa 1974 conversation.)

njcurveball
05-15-2010, 02:01 AM
My daughter sat next to Myron Rolle in first grade. All I heard every day after school, was Myron did this, Myron did that, etc. Now the "kid" is on the Tennessee Titans.

http://myronrolle.com/

Hope he does well. :ThmbUp:

46zilzal
05-15-2010, 02:11 AM
Kareem Abdul Jabar was in three classes with me.....Worked for the 49ers for years so I got to meet a lot of them and their rivals: Steelers. Rams, Oilers, Falcons, Jets, Giants, Raiders, Vikings, Cards, Cowboys, Bears,etc.

Best all around guy was Jim Plunkett a true gentleman

rastajenk
05-15-2010, 06:35 AM
Dave, isn't that guy's name Bucky F******* Dent? That's what I've heard. :eek:

Dave Schwartz
05-15-2010, 10:15 AM
Rasty,

Are you from Boston?

eastie
05-15-2010, 11:39 AM
had a bunch of classes with Reggie Lewis at Northeastern, he loved french fries, but unfortunately like to cook it up. Bobby Carpenter was on the cover of Sports Illustrated in our High School hockey uniform at St John's Prep. First American player to score 50 goals. and of course, everyone knows where Jerome Wiggins is from. I bet more people know his hometown than Tom Brady's or Joe Montana.

surfdog89
05-15-2010, 01:12 PM
I went to High School with the SF Giant pitcher the Moon Man Greg Minton and was in gym class with Dempsey I guy who kicked the longest field goal in NFL history when he was a Saint.......... I think the record is broken now

http://handicapperscorner.blogspot.com/

illinoisbred
05-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Kareem Abdul Jabar was in three classes with me.....Worked for the 49ers for years so I got to meet a lot of them and their rivals: Steelers. Rams, Oilers, Falcons, Jets, Giants, Raiders, Vikings, Cards, Cowboys, Bears,etc.

Best all around guy was Jim Plunkett a true gentleman
Didn't he go by the name Lew Alcindor back then? He changed his name so he could evoke religous reasons for dodging the draft during the Vietnam War.

kingfin66
05-15-2010, 01:40 PM
I umpired minor league baseball from 1989-1991 and, thus, knew many players and managers. I have a few friends who are Major League umpires and have met many other umpires who have been on their crews.

As a child, I met Mike Flanagan (1979 Cy Young) in 1978. My uncle and his then girlfriend were in Seattle visiting. The Orioles were in town playing the Mariners. My now aunt said that she knew one of the Orioles pitchers from their college days and was able to send a note to the clubhouse. Flanagan came out 5 minutes later, saw Lori, RAN to the stands, and they kissed! It turns out that Flanagan was her college boyfriend. My uncle was a good sport about the whole thing.

We went out after the game (he got shelled) and he bought us a late dinner at the Space Needle. He was a super nice guy and talked about trying for a million dollar contract.

Zippy Chippy
05-16-2010, 06:47 PM
I went to High School with the SF Giant pitcher the Moon Man Greg Minton and was in gym class with Dempsey I guy who kicked the longest field goal in NFL history when he was a Saint.......... I think the record is broken now

Tom Dempsey.,. NO toes...

Elam tied it.. 63 yards.

cj's dad
05-16-2010, 06:54 PM
I've been (hang out) in an area known as Federal Hill and there are many bars and restaurants there. Boog Powell (O's) frequents a Sushi place there and he is one nice guy. Rick Dempsey is a regular guy (O's WS MVP '83) who has a monster handshake; many Ravens players come by and besides being huge - guys like Jarrett Johnston, Ray Lewis, Michael Oher, most are friendly.

Michael Phelps who frequents the late night scene south of downtown Baltimore is from what I have heard from the younger set (girls) is totally unapproachable. I have seen him up close and without money and fame he has ZERO going for him.

skate
05-16-2010, 09:04 PM
I've been (hang out) in an area known as Federal Hill and there are many bars and restaurants there. Boog Powell (O's) frequents a Sushi place there and he is one nice guy. Rick Dempsey is a regular guy (O's WS MVP '83) who has a monster handshake; many Ravens players come by and besides being huge - guys like Jarrett Johnston, Ray Lewis, Michael Oher, most are friendly.

Michael Phelps who frequents the late night scene south of downtown Baltimore is from what I have heard from the younger set (girls) is totally unapproachable. I have seen him up close and without money and fame he has ZERO going for him.

oh boy...huge:eek:

surfdog89
05-17-2010, 08:54 AM
We both attended San Dieguito High in Encinitas Ca.

No toes and a club foot and hand........... Tom was a Great Wrestler and a mellow guy

cj
05-17-2010, 11:22 AM
Not sure if these count, but I graduated with Jim Schwartz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Schwartz) and Rico Chiapparelli (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rico_Chiapparelli). I played football with Schwartz and he was a great guy. I remember a guy from the "chain gang" doing something wrong and Jim wound up taking the pointed end in the calf and missing a lot of time one year. They are flat now, but this was the early 80s.

I just read that Rico was born in January of 1964. We were classmates, and he was three years older. That is a little weird, but he really was a good guy.

NJ Stinks
05-17-2010, 11:46 AM
I played high school football for four years with Franco Harris. I remember thinking at the time if Franco can't make the pros, who the hell does?

And I was in Mount St. Mary's College for two years with Freddie Carter. Freddie had this habit of playing poker a little short of cash. Sooner or later he was going to be "light" in his last hand but - not to worry - he "was good for it". We all knew otherwise but nobody really cared. Freddie was beloved on that all-male campus - and not just because the guy could play basketball. Although it clearly helped. :)

cj's dad
05-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Not sure if these count, but I graduated with Jim Schwartz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Schwartz) and Rico Chiapparelli (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rico_Chiapparelli). I played football with Schwartz and he was a great guy. I remember a guy from the "chain gang" doing something wrong and Jim wound up taking the pointed end in the calf and missing a lot of time one year. They are flat now, but this was the early 80s.

I just read that Rico was born in January of 1964. We were classmates, and he was three years older. That is a little weird, but he really was a good guy.

He probably went to public school !!

Hanover1
05-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Trained horses for Arnold Palmer, Whitey Ford. Worked briefly with Billy Cesare a TB trainer who played for the TB Bucs. 2 of the guys were real gentlemen......

proximity
05-17-2010, 09:49 PM
Not sure if these count, but I graduated with Jim Schwartz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Schwartz) and Rico Chiapparelli (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rico_Chiapparelli). .

well, if they don't count, let's just say that i wouldn't want to be the one to have to tell rico!!;)

cj's dad
05-18-2010, 07:37 PM
Rico Chiapparelli (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rico_Chiapparelli)

Craig,

I'm guessing it was his parents or grandparents that owned the restaurant by the same name in Little Italy ???

ElKabong
05-18-2010, 11:31 PM
played football against....

DB...Raymond Clayborn (patriots)
WR... Mike Renfro (cowboys, oilers)
RB... Greg Hawthorne (steelers)
TE.. Donald Bass (Cincy bengals)
K ...Uve von Schamaan (don't recall nfl team(s)
k Tony Franklin (Iggles)

Mike Nelms was a HS teammate of mine (redskins), short, quick but not fast, but tough and knew the game inside and out.

Lot of friends of mine payed vs Earl Campbell in his Jr yr at John Tyler HS...They (and darrell royal) said he was the best MLB they ever saw or played against. He delivered hits harder than what he gave out at RB...And was usually the guy that helped others off the ground after plays....an all around good athlete and competitor that played the game clean.

Played against a LOT of kids that played minor league beisball. Some, I don't know how they missed the bigs. Kid named Quency Hill threw harder than anyone I ever played against (including David Clyde) and didn't have control problems. A HS teammate fo his at Bryan Adams was almost as tough to hit. Think his name was Duckworth.

A kid that played football on our front yard several times as a HS kid, played for the Giants. Karl (spider) Lockhart. His dad did odd jobs for our family, would bring some of his kids over when he had jobs in the neighborhood. Karl was quite an athlete. Kids in our neignborhood took to him immediately. Karl was my brother's age, several yrs ahead of me. His dad (Gert) would finish his work, sit down for coffee or tea w/ my dad and say "all my kids are gonna do well in life instead of THAT boy right there" (looking out in the yard at Karl playing football). "He don't do nuthin but play ball. My other kids do well in school, but not him".......funny stuff....Karl was a good kid back then, raised by a good family.

cj
05-19-2010, 12:08 AM
Uwe played for the Dolphins for maybe 5 or 6 years. I don't think he played for anyone else.

ElKabong
05-19-2010, 01:02 AM
Hell, I almost forgot about the Dineens. I played ice hockey in FtW for 6 years as a kid. My Sr year of HS I played hockey yr round and quit football. Bill Dineen was the coach of the Houston Aeros at the time, he had 4 sons (i think it was) and a daughter named Rose-- who Mr Dineen referrred to as "The Rose among the thorns"....his sons were the supposed "thorns". (all were really good kids).

Shawn was a frosh that played Jr's (age group 17-19) for the Houston Metro Jr's, one level above the norm for a 15 yo. He still was a force at that age. Our travel team would "billet" on road trips. To save the association money, we'd have players stay in homes of opposing family's. When they played in FTW, we'd reciprocate.

Shawn stayed at our house in 1974 for a week. That spring I stayed in his folks house. I can't tell you how intimidated I was when I met Bill Dineen-- the guy that coached Gordie Howe for cripes sakes! I shook his hand and didn't look him in the eye until he said hello, etc....I was in total awe....just a dumb 17 yo kid that thought I was meeting with God.

Shawn played for Minnesota briefly, I think. But his younger brothers did well too. One of the middle aged Dineens was a captain for Hartford. Didn't play vs the middle aged kids, just Shawn. His youngest bro was a goalie at the time, not sure if he played in the nhl or not.

Shawn was a great kid, the Dineen's were a great family....and Mrs Dineen was a hottie of the HIGHEST order.

PeteKoch
05-30-2010, 04:02 PM
Back in the late 60s, I used to chase women with Joe Namath. Joe let me have the fat ones.

Rookies
05-30-2010, 10:21 PM
Went to Grade 8- Year 1, University with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Murphy_(ice_hockey_b._1950)

Went to High School with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Uteck

Beat up this kid on my street playing Ball Hockey ( not any more ;) ) who is son of a good friend/neighbour:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Clune

proximity
06-01-2010, 04:47 AM
Back in the late 60s, I used to chase women with Joe Namath. Joe let me have the fat ones.

i take it you're no relation to the pete koch who played for the raiders and also played the big swede in clint eastwood's heartbreak ridge?

Space Monkey
06-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Trained horses for Arnold Palmer, Whitey Ford. Worked briefly with Billy Cesare a TB trainer who played for the TB Bucs. 2 of the guys were real gentlemen......

Don't tease us Hanover. Who was the jerk? My guess was that it was Cesare. I've never met any of them but by making that comment and not saying who you didn't like, only casts doubts on the other 2. Thats unfair to them.