PDA

View Full Version : Help in Identifying Quirin Angle

Overlay
05-14-2010, 06:06 PM
I was reading a handicapping text that made shorthand references to five of the angles or spot plays that Quirin discussed in Winning at the Races. I recognized four of them, but I was having difficulty matching the fifth one up to a page reference in Quirin's book. The four that I recognized were "bid but hung", "surprise early speed", "taxing stretch drive", and "two moves". The one that I wasn't sure about was described as "closer to lead". Could anyone elaborate on that or give me a page reference in Quirin to refresh my memory on which angle is being referred to there? (It sounds similar to "surprise early speed", but that must not be it, since it would be a duplication.)

46zilzal
05-14-2010, 06:33 PM
Improving early speed was what I got out of that.

PhantomOnTour
05-14-2010, 06:44 PM
In his book Thoroughbred Handicapping: State Of The Art he defines 'closer to the lead' as:

"Restricted to horses entered in a sprint today that had sprinted in both
of their latest two starts, we demand that the animal had been 'closer
to the lead' at both the 2nd and 3rd call. By this we mean in the front
half of its field and within 5 lengths of the lead in its most recent start,
after having been in the rear half and more than five lengths from the
lead in tis previous start."

That's your definition verbatim. The ROI on the angle when he did the study is as follows:

250 races---17.2% wins---37.2% ITM---impact value 1.59---$2.40 roi/$2 bet

In other words, exactly what 46zilzal just posted.
Much better returns if horse comes back within ten days, but that doesn't happen much anymore. Hope this helps.

illinoisbred
05-14-2010, 06:46 PM
I have the book handy and the chapter in question is #9-pages 94-102. There are 5 angles discussed,but not listed is the one you're questioning.The 5th one is "the stretch gain'.

Overlay
05-14-2010, 06:49 PM
Thanks all. Much appreciated.