PDA

View Full Version : They Call the Horses

SmartyParty
05-14-2010, 02:43 AM
My first book was just printed yesterday and is on its way to the bookstores! It is about eleven of the top track announcers in the US:

http://www.mcfarlandpub.com/book-2.php?id=978-0-7864-4769-5

Dave Schwartz
05-14-2010, 02:50 AM
Congratulations!

You must be feeling pretty good today!

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

SmartyParty
05-14-2010, 02:56 AM
Thanks, Dave. It is the first book I have ever written so I am pretty thrilled.

LottaKash
05-14-2010, 03:24 AM
Thanks, Dave. It is the first book I have ever written so I am pretty thrilled.

Good LUck with your "New Book"...Smarty Pants...:jump::ThmbUp:

best,

jballscalls
05-14-2010, 09:28 AM
can't wait to read it! congratulations!

Grits
05-14-2010, 09:33 AM
SmartyP, this is outstanding!!!!

Thrilled for you. What a fine achievement. I'm sure it will be a great read!

Hoping many copies are sold, and that you have much good luck.

SmartyParty
05-14-2010, 10:12 AM
Thanks, everyone! It really was fun meeting these announcers. They all have such passion for what they do.

Tape Reader
05-14-2010, 10:25 AM
Looking forward to purchasing it. Best of luck!

SmartyParty
05-14-2010, 10:33 AM
I sure realize how fortunate I was to spend those four hours with Luke Kruytbosch in his booth at Turf Paradise! He was patiently answering my endless questions in between calling the races!

Steve 'StatMan'
05-14-2010, 10:40 AM
Congratulatons Smarty! Looking forward to reading it.

johnhannibalsmith
05-14-2010, 11:07 AM
Congratulations... and thank you... it's nice to see people still dedicate time and effort to keep racing alive on the shelves... :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

v j stauffer
05-14-2010, 11:08 AM
Congrats your accomplishment. Looking forward to reading it. Works out well I just bought a #12 jersey. Best of luck!!

Cardus
05-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Good luck with the book, which I intend to buy and read vigorously.

You chose the 11 best announcers without question.

It should be a fascinating, informative read.

Spalding No!
05-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Works out well I just bought a #12 jersey.

Because your post is the 12th of the thread?

Cardus
05-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Congrats your accomplishment. Looking forward to reading it. Works out well I just bought a #12 jersey. Best of luck!!

You're a Joe Namath fan like me?

Vinnie
05-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Congratulations Smarty Party:

I am totally pumped for you on your new book. What a wonderful feeling that must be.

I wish you much success. :)

Cardus
05-14-2010, 11:14 AM

Sharp post!

v j stauffer
05-14-2010, 11:14 AM

You're pretty clever for a guy who makes basketballs.

johnhannibalsmith
05-14-2010, 11:15 AM
... Works out well I just bought a #12 jersey...

Record number of different riders in a year?

(sorry, as long as everyone was playing, I couldn't help it...)

v j stauffer
05-14-2010, 11:16 AM
You're a Joe Namath fan like me?

And a Suzy Kolber fan.

Spalding No!
05-14-2010, 11:20 AM
You're pretty clever for a guy who makes basketballs.

When you see an opportunity in a low post, it's best to "post up".

Thanks for dribbling.

SmartyParty
05-14-2010, 11:22 AM
can't wait to read it! congratulations!

this is my little blog address, i kind of just ramble about my life and racing, but stop on by and say hello!

I sure will! I can never get enough chats about my passion: horse racing!

v j stauffer
05-14-2010, 11:24 AM
When you see an opportunity in a low post, it's best to "post up".

Thanks for dribbling.

Very nice "post up". You've come a long way since you got away from Judge Smails.

Spalding No!
05-14-2010, 11:26 AM
Very nice "post up". You've come a long way since you got away from Judge Smails.

Gambling is illegal at PA, sir...and I never slice.

Cardus
05-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Smarty, can you give us a snippet: what was the most unanticipated story or quote from those you interviewed?

Also, from start to finish, how long did the project last?

v j stauffer
05-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Smarty, can you give us a snippet: what was the most unanticipated story or quote from those you interviewed?

Wouldn't how long did the project last "mean" from start to finish? I'm curious how long did it last from 32% into it to finish?

v j stauffer
05-14-2010, 11:33 AM

Just asked my wife to fix me breakfast. She said. " You'll get nothing and like it"

Dahoss9698
05-14-2010, 11:35 AM
Congrats Smarty. Unfortunately I see Vic is going to try and make this thread all about him, but it's a great accomplishment.

KirisClown
05-14-2010, 11:36 AM
Well done.. :ThmbUp:

Looks like an interesting read..

v j stauffer
05-14-2010, 11:42 AM
Congrats Smarty. Unfortunately I see Vic is going to try and make this thread all about him, but it's a great accomplishment.

I'm totally not trying to do that. I just read back and can see why you'd say that. Just was having some fun. If it comes across that way I'm very very sorry. Not my intention. Was being honest when I said that I was looking forward to the read.

cj
05-14-2010, 11:45 AM

A Jerry Rice jersey may have been more appropriate.

I'm looking forward to the book. Nice job!

SmartyParty
05-14-2010, 11:52 AM

Wow, Cardus! Those are great questions! Kurt Becker was the first announcer that I interviewed and that was in October 2005. I met every single announcer in person which took some time, but sure was fun. I even met Dave Johnson at Starbucks in midtown Manhattan!

So one unanticipated comment was that when I asked these men if they thought announcers should be included in the Hall of Fame, both Tom Durkin and Dave Johnson were emphatic that they shouldn't be!

Cardus
05-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Wow, Cardus! Those are great questions! Kurt Becker was the first announcer that I interviewed and that was in October 2005. I met every single announcer in person which took some time, but sure was fun. I even met Dave Johnson at Starbucks in midtown Manhattan!

So one unanticipated comment was that when I asked these men if they thought announcers should be included in the Hall of Fame, both Tom Durkin and Dave Johnson were emphatic that they shouldn't be!

Was Kurt Becker as unassuming as his announcing is understated? (His style is perfect for Keeneland.)

Cardus
05-14-2010, 12:31 PM

Very revealing.

SmartyParty
05-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Was Kurt Becker as understated as his announcing? (His style is perfect for Keeneland.)

Yes, Cardus, he pretty much was. He was the perfect one for my very first interview. We met on his day off at Keeneland, and he gave me lots of time. I was SO nervous! And then he let me come up to his booth the next day to watch him call a race. I had to pinch myself as I got to take it all in from The Best Seat in the House.

Cardus
05-14-2010, 12:41 PM
Yes, Cardus, he pretty much was. He was the perfect one for my very first interview. We met on his day off at Keeneland, and he gave me lots of time. I was SO nervous! And then he let me come up to his booth the next day to watch him call a race. I had to pinch myself as I got to take it all in from The Best Seat in the House.

Was that your first visit to Keeneland, by the way? I am guessing it was not, but I ask anyway.

SmartyParty
05-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Was that your first visit to Keeneland, by the way? I am guessing it was not, but I ask anyway.

Yes, it was. I could not believe the wallpaper in the bathrooms and those huge Rolex clocks! And I was in heaven that I could walk through the barn area without a pass!

Cardus
05-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Yes, it was. I could not believe the wallpaper in the bathrooms and those huge Rolex clocks! And I was in heaven that I could walk through the barn area without a pass!

Do you describe Keeneland at all in the book, or did you stick tight to Becker and his story?

SmartyParty
05-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Do you describe Keeneland at all in the book, or did you stick tight to Becker and his story?

I talked about the track, for sure. It is one of a kind! Are you located nearby? And what is your favorite track? I'm fairly close to Santa Anita, as close as you can be going from northern Nevada to southern California. It was the track that got me started with this passion. I have visited almost twenty racetracks; so much fun!

Cardus
05-14-2010, 02:02 PM
I talked about the track, for sure. It is one of a kind! Are you located nearby? And what is your favorite track? I'm fairly close to Santa Anita, as close as you can be going from northern Nevada to southern California. It was the track that got me started with this passion. I have visited almost twenty racetracks; so much fun!

Did you mention that huge black barn that is off in the distance as you look out onto the track from the seats? Every time I go to Keeneland, I could sit there and look at it all day.

Other than interviewing Johnson, did you go to a track to interview each of the announcers?

SmartyParty
05-14-2010, 02:14 PM
Did you mention that huge black barn that is off in the distance as you look out onto the track from the seats? Every time I go to Keeneland, I could sit there and look at it all day.

Other than interviewing Johnson, did you go to a track to interview each of the announcers?

Cardus, I didn't mention the barn; oops! Turf Paradise was closer to Elko for me than Churchill so that's where I interviewed Luke. I timed Terry Wallace for The Rebel at Oaklawn. I got to see Lost in the Fog at GGF, and I talked to Michael Wrona again at Bay Meadows. I really wanted to go there before they shut it down. So much history! Robert Geller and I became great friends so I've seen him at both Emerald and Sunland. He's even been to Elko! (But not for our races.) I saw Larry Collmus at both Gulfstream and Monmouth. I was there for the Haskell and saw Curlin and Hard Spun. And on the backside I got to see Any Given Saturday. I want to Saratoga for the first time to interview Tom Durkin and got to watch a steeplechase race from the roof! John Dooley talked to me at Arlington, and Dave Rodman at Pimlico. In fact, it was this website that convinced me I had to go see that historical track.

Grits
05-14-2010, 02:23 PM

Cardus, that huge black barn you're talking about has been there a long, long time. It, the land surrounding it, and the small white farm house to the right of it was the home of trainer, John Ward, Jr. He grew up in that house. Keeneland was his back yard. Today, his and Donna's offices and training barn, foaling barn, paddocks, and the land that surround them are still right there on Rice Road, across the street from Keeneland's backside. Fine folks.

http://www.keeneland.com/racing/Biography%20Library/Ward-John.pdf

Grits
05-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Cardus, I didn't mention the barn; oops! Turf Paradise was closer to Elko for me than Churchill so that's where I interviewed Luke. I timed Terry Wallace for The Rebel at Oaklawn. I got to see Lost in the Fog at GGF, and I talked to Michael Wrona again at Bay Meadows. I really wanted to go there before they shut it down. So much history! Robert Geller and I became great friends so I've seen him at both Emerald and Sunland. He's even been to Elko! (But not for our races.) I saw Larry Collmus at both Gulfstream and Monmouth. I was there for the Haskell and saw Curlin and Hard Spun. And on the backside I got to see Any Given Saturday. I want to Saratoga for the first time to interview Tom Durkin and got to watch a steeplechase race from the roof! John Dooley talked to me at Arlington, and Dave Rodman at Pimlico. In fact, it was this website that convinced me I had to go see that historical track.

Sp, in your descriptions of your tasks, they read like a true labor of love. You should be so very proud. Again, I'm so pleased for you.

I remember when you posted here about traveling to Laurel or Pimlico. I was so concerned about your driving in such heavy traffic because you said you weren't accustomed to it. After your trip, and a bit of advice, you wrote me a pm and told me, all worked out well............and obviously, it sure did.

Now, start lining up book signings, darlin'. SELL THOSE COPIES by the table full, scheduling them on BIG DAYS. The role of writer, needs to now turn to the role of businesswoman--a Saratoga book signing with Durkin seated next to you, along with one with Collmus, Dooley, Becker, Wallace, and on and on.

Take your book out front, create those sales while its new and fresh off the press, and keep those wheels turning, planning for your next one.;)

SmartyParty
05-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Sp, in your descriptions of your tasks, they read like a true labor of love. You should be so very proud. Again, I'm so pleased for you.

I remember when you posted here about traveling to Laurel or Pimlico. I was so concerned about your driving in such heavy traffic because you said you weren't accustomed to it. After your trip, and a bit of advice, you wrote me a pm and told me, all worked out well............and obviously, it sure did.

Now, start lining up book signings, darlin'. SELL THOSE COPIES by the table full, scheduling them on BIG DAYS. The role of writer, needs to now turn to the role of businesswoman--a Saratoga book signing with Durkin seated next to you, along with one with Collmus, Dooley, Becker, Wallace, and on and on.

Take your book out front, create those sales while its new and fresh off the press, and keep those wheels turning, planning for your next one.;)

Grits, once again you have great advice! I am hoping that my announcers will autograph the book too. Or even sign it as the buyers got to come up to the booth. These men have been so easy and accomodating with their time and memories. And I really feel that the reason that this book has flowed so easily, is because it's not about me: it is about these men and the recognition they deserve.

offtrack
05-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Hope to see you behind a table full of books at Saratoga this summer. Many authors have scheduled a signing at the track, and at local bookstores in the past.

SmartyParty
05-14-2010, 03:33 PM
Hope to see you behind a table full of books at Saratoga this summer. Many authors have scheduled a signing at the track, and at local bookstores in the past.

Offtrack, I knew last year that I had to return to Saratoga as soon as possible. I love the atmosphere there not to mention the Ben&Jerry's chocolate ice cream! NYRA needs to stay afloat, because I have my reservations for the first week in August. No tickets yet, but a place to stay and the planes booked.

Cardus
05-14-2010, 03:54 PM

A nice guy at a nice (weather-wise) venue.

Do you have a quick Collmus story?

SmartyParty
05-14-2010, 05:24 PM
A nice guy at a nice (weather-wise) venue.

Do you have a quick Collmus story?

He was great in that he let me spend HOURS up there in his booth at both tracks. Again, I was in heaven! He and I were both convinced that Curlin was going to win the Haskell. But ... I have seen Curlin race twice in person and both times he lost. (2009 BC Classic.) Rats!

But, I've seen Zenyatta race twice and you know the rest of the story!

cj
05-14-2010, 06:02 PM
Larry is a great announcer. Handicapper, not so much.

SmartyParty
05-14-2010, 06:50 PM

Thanks, Vic. I was at Hollywood Park when you called Lava Man home in the Gold Cup. And your earthquake call "shook" me up!

Tape Reader
05-14-2010, 06:59 PM
A book signing at Saratoga? Yes!

This is where I was first introduced to Pace Advantage. I think it was at Brookstone, in Saratoga, at a book signing by Steven Crist.

He told me that a lot of "smart people" hang out at Pace Advantage.com.

Thank you Steven and thank you Pace!

SmartyParty
05-14-2010, 07:16 PM

This is where I was first introduced to Pace Advantage. I think it was at Brookstone, in Saratoga, at a book signing by Steven Crist.

Now that's sure good to know!

Peter Berry
05-14-2010, 07:23 PM
Vic didn't crack your top 11?

SmartyParty
05-14-2010, 07:42 PM

Your friend Michael Wrona did! He's chapter 4.

Peter Berry
05-14-2010, 07:46 PM
Vic wasn't included because he's not my friend?

Eleven seems such a random number. Why not 10 or 12? What is the significance of 11?

cj
05-14-2010, 07:50 PM

She didn't say the book was THE top 11, just 11 of the top.

SmartyParty
05-14-2010, 08:00 PM
She didn't say the book was THE top 11, just 11 of the top.

Exactly, CJ.

Peter Berry
05-14-2010, 08:07 PM
That may be so but it doesn't explain the randomness of 11 entries. Perhaps she interviewed many more but found their stories less interesting. Was Vic's story left on the editing floor?

Peter Berry
05-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Exactly, CJ.

Do you believe each of the announcers you interviewed to be top-notch announcers?

Grits
05-14-2010, 09:34 PM
That may be so but it doesn't explain the randomness of 11 entries. Perhaps she interviewed many more but found their stories less interesting. Was Vic's story left on the editing floor?

One can only hope Smarty ignores you, sir.

With these questions you've posed, she owes you no acknowledgement, no response, no explanation on her choice regarding announcers she interviewed, the content value of their stories or anything else written and contained between the front and back covers of her new book.

Your beyond tasteless questions are out of line. And the poor judgement you've shown in posing them is something that shouldn't be up for debate on this website--free speech or not. This accomplishment by this woman is one to be celebrated, not to be nitpicked by the likes of one with an apparent agenda.

If you're interested, do by all means, purchase her book. If not, find another thread to read and comment on, please. No one wants to see someone grilled. This is wrong.

Peter Berry
05-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Why is it unfair to ask the author if she interviewed more than 11 announcers then chose the best 11 because they made for the most entertaining reads? Perhaps if I had posed the question using a non-de-plume I would not have been accused of having an agenda. Please respond using your real name.

PaceAdvantage
05-14-2010, 09:54 PM

Thank you Steven and thank you Pace!I'm sure by "alot" he meant just The Little Guy... :lol:

Peter Berry
05-14-2010, 10:12 PM
Grits,
I sincerely apologize to you, and to Edie, for my inappropriate line of questioning regarding her book. I most certainly could have better phrased those questions. (I'm also sorry about that last quip I made about using your real name). In all honesty, though, I have no agenda whatsoever, and I hope the book becomes a best seller.

Grits
05-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Grits,
I sincerely apologize to you, and to Edie, for my inappropriate line of questioning regarding her book. I most certainly could have better phrased those questions. (I'm also sorry about that last quip I made about using your real name). In all honesty, though, I have no agenda whatsoever, and I hope the book becomes a best seller.

Mr.Berry, I accept your apology, indeed, and I thank you for it. I, too, hope very much that Smarty's book becomes a bestseller. I don't know her at all, but I applaud her work, and look forward to reading it.

I'm sorry for my post to you as well.

Robert Goren
05-14-2010, 10:33 PM
Next Question Why aren't there very many women calling races?

SmartyParty
05-15-2010, 12:31 AM
I missed a lot of the posts tonight because my girlfriend and I were out celebrating the book. I have to say that this is a very fun forum. I'm in!

illinoisbred
05-15-2010, 07:45 AM
That's a good question. I'm not aware of any-are there any that do? Not to sound sexist,but I suppose the deeper male voice broadcasts more efficently than a females,which may blend in too much with the extraneous crowd noise.Again,I hope that doesn't sound sexist-didn't intend that.

Cardus
05-15-2010, 09:37 AM

He was just joking with you.

bdownes
05-15-2010, 10:10 AM
I would buy the book just to read Luke's chapter. :)

SmartyParty
05-15-2010, 10:17 AM
[QUOTE=bdownes]I would buy the book just to read Luke's chapter. :)[/QUOT

That is sure good to hear! He was the one who told me about London to a Brick On that's about Australian announcers, and how they get more respect there than here. That was what I wanted: to put the spotlight on these well-deserving race callers in our country.

craigbraddick
05-15-2010, 10:49 AM

I want to try and get a woman announcer at Arapahoe Park as a guest this summer. So if you know any ladies who fancy a go at the job, let me know!

Craig

craigbraddick
05-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Luke was right in that many racecallers get more respect overseas than they do in the USA.

However, racecalling developed down different avenues overseas than in the USA. In the USA, it went from just name and position to portraying a dramatic account of a race and around the world it went fron name and position into describing the race in more descriptive terms.

It seems as if US racecalling is now starting to evolve from the dramatic description (which is not my cup of tea, but that's only my personal prejudice showing having been raised in another culture) to a more descriptive style of calling.

The USA (just my opinion here) has not yet produced someone like Peter O'Sullevan or John Tapp who could combine both styles so effortlessly and then keep it going for decades and the ones that approach that in their style at the moment seem to have been born overseas. This is not a put down of US racecallers, many of whom are my friends and I have huge respect for. Just an opinion on what I see as the way racecalling has evolved in different areas of the world.

That said, everyone must realize both O'Sullevan, Tapp and others in their class did not just start racecalling the way they are now renowned for. It took them many years to nail it down though it was always obvious the potential was there.

My guess is one of the younger/newer Announcers in ten years time will have found that combo, be the leading exponent of it and become the figurehead for a new generation of US racecallers. Maybe it will be me? It certainly is an ambitious goal and will take a lot of work and effort from whoever achieves it - they will deserve every plaudit they receive.

However, I hope this book is a big seller and wish everyone concerned great success with it!

GameTheory
05-15-2010, 11:40 AM
I want to try and get a woman announcer at Arapahoe Park as a guest this summer. So if you know any ladies who fancy a go at the job, let me know!
Yeah, I realized I have NEVER heard a woman call a race. Has there ever been a woman as the regular race-caller at any track?

craigbraddick
05-15-2010, 11:44 AM
Yeah, I realized I have NEVER heard a woman call a race. Has there ever been a woman as the regular race-caller at any track?

Not in the USA or the UK. There was one (who was actually quite good in NSW in Australia) but I am not sure the culture was open to her developing that as a career.

That said, I would happily set aside for a race to give a female who wants to follow a career in sports journalism a crack at calling a race. Women Football Announcers work well and I see no reason a female racecaller cannot work well.

If I do not succeed, maybe I will wear a dress and don some lipstick and call a race that way. At the very least, I will post a picture on the forum! ;)

Craig

SmartyParty
05-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Luke was right in that many racecallers get more respect overseas than they do in the USA.

However, racecalling developed down different avenues overseas than in the USA. In the USA, it went from just name and position to portraying a dramatic account of a race and around the world it went fron name and position into describing the race in more descriptive terms.

It seems as if US racecalling is now starting to evolve from the dramatic description (which is not my cup of tea, but that's only my personal prejudice showing having been raised in another culture) to a more descriptive style of calling.

The USA (just my opinion here) has not yet produced someone like Peter O'Sullevan or John Tapp who could combine both styles so effortlessly and then keep it going for decades and the ones that approach that in their style at the moment seem to have been born overseas. This is not a put down of US racecallers, many of whom are my friends and I have huge respect for. Just an opinion on what I see as the way racecalling has evolved in different areas of the world.

That said, everyone must realize both O'Sullevan, Tapp and others in their class did not just start racecalling the way they are now renowned for. It took them many years to nail it down though it was always obvious the potential was there.

My guess is one of the younger/newer Announcers in ten years time will have found that combo, be the leading exponent of it and become the figurehead for a new generation of US racecallers. Maybe it will be me? It certainly is an ambitious goal and will take a lot of work and effort from whoever achieves it - they will deserve every plaudit they receive.

However, I hope this book is a big seller and wish everyone concerned great success with it!

Super post, Craig! And i just bookmarked your website. My daughter lives near Boulder, and I've been wanting to get to Arapaho for several years now. I know I could look it up, but you're right here. What are the dates of your meet this year?

craigbraddick
05-15-2010, 11:58 AM
SmartyParty:

You must be reading my mind as I was about to email you.

Would you like to come out to Arapahoe Park during our meet as my guest for the day (bring the family) and I will take care of lunch in the clubhouse for you guys. You can come and visit with the booth and have a great day. Our meet runs from Saturday, Sunday and Monday 29th May to August 22nd (racing every Friday, Saturday and Sunday) after opening weekend. Three more days than last year and about $850k more in purse money as well.

Also, I would like it if you would do a booksigning at the track and i would be happy to promote the book on our simulcast show.

If you are interested, drop me an email britishracecaller@gmail.com

Take care,

Craig.

SmartyParty
05-15-2010, 12:49 PM
SmartyParty:

You must be reading my mind as I was about to email you.

Would you like to come out to Arapahoe Park during our meet as my guest for the day (bring the family) and I will take care of lunch in the clubhouse for you guys. You can come and visit with the booth and have a great day. Our meet runs from Saturday, Sunday and Monday 29th May to August 22nd (racing every Friday, Saturday and Sunday) after opening weekend. Three more days than last year and about $850k more in purse money as well.

Also, I would like it if you would do a booksigning at the track and i would be happy to promote the book on our simulcast show.

If you are interested, drop me an email britishracecaller@gmail.com

Take care,

Craig.

Craig, what a fantastic invitation!

Thanks!
Edie

Peter Berry
05-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Will you extend her an invitation to call a race?

craigbraddick
05-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Will you extend her an invitation to call a race?

Edie has not stated any interest in doing so and I am not sure she has any broadcasting aspirations, least of all in racecalling.

Craig

thespaah
05-15-2010, 05:34 PM
You should be in the book as well. JMHO.

thespaah
05-15-2010, 05:37 PM
And a Suzy Kolber fan.You too, huh?
She does her job well. Professional. And of course she's very easy on the eyes.

thespaah
05-15-2010, 05:40 PM
DAMN!!!!
Greatest one word tirade in movie history!!!!

thespaah
05-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Just asked my wife to fix me breakfast. She said. " You'll get nothing and like it"
"All right you can owe me!".....

thespaah
05-15-2010, 05:45 PM
A Jerry Rice jersey may have been more appropriate.

I'm looking forward to the book. Nice job!
Unfotunately Jery is wearing his golf scores.
He tried again to play in a Nationwide Tour event and shot 92-82 .Then was Dispqualified because his caddy unwittingly used a range finder to determine yards to the hole..
Rice promised to never attempt a Nationwide Event again.
Good for him. Wise decision.
Even though I was never a Niners fan, IMO Rice was one of the greatest to put on the pads.

thespaah
05-15-2010, 05:48 PM

So one unanticipated comment was that when I asked these men if they thought announcers should be included in the Hall of Fame, both Tom Durkin and Dave Johnson were emphatic that they shouldn't be!Becker is a bit of an anamoly. Not only does he announce the races at Keeneland, a fine assignment, he also does radio PBP for NASCAR races via MRN.
Of course you know that. Can't wait to get my copy. Congrats!!!!!!

thespaah
05-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Offtrack, I knew last year that I had to return to Saratoga as soon as possible. I love the atmosphere there not to mention the Ben&Jerry's chocolate ice cream! NYRA needs to stay afloat, because I have my reservations for the first week in August. No tickets yet, but a place to stay and the planes booked.Will you be at Saratoga in Mid August?
That's the week I am planning my annual trip. Hope to see you there!!!!

thespaah
05-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Next Question Why aren't there very many women calling races?Good question. Why are there not so many female PA announcers at major sporting events/venues?

craigbraddick
05-15-2010, 06:05 PM
Good question. Why are there not so many female PA announcers at major sporting events/venues?

I just think it has been a tradition to have male announcers. No reason a good female announcer could not do the job.

Craig

SmartyParty
05-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Edie has not stated any interest in doing so and I am not sure she has any broadcasting aspirations, least of all in racecalling.

Craig

You are right on, Craig! Talking to these men has shown me how incredibly hard it is to call a race! They spent HOURS practicing calling into tape recorders before they EVER called a live race.

SmartyParty
05-16-2010, 08:18 PM
This has been such a welcoming forum that I thought some of you might be interested in my website for the book:

http://ediedickenson.homestead.com/speedy.html

On the second page there are some calls and interviews of Luke, Trevor, Dave, etc. Sure hope you enjoy it!

SmartyParty
05-25-2010, 03:15 PM
I wanted to let you know about three radio shows that are coming up where I'll be talking about the book. Craig is having me on his show this coming Thursday afternoon. On Saturday I'll be on Dave Johnson's Sirius/XM 243 Down The Stretch radio show around 11AM Eastern. And on Sunday Joe Withee invited me to be on his Emerald Downs show around 11:30AM Eastern. It's going to be fun promoting a book that promotes horse racing and its announcers!

craigbraddick
05-25-2010, 03:34 PM
And to add to Edie's post. The show is online at www.castlerockradio.com, 4pm MST on Thursday!

Craig.

Cardus
05-25-2010, 03:37 PM
I wanted to let you know about three radio shows that are coming up where I'll be talking about the book. Craig is having me on his show this coming Thursday afternoon. On Saturday I'll be on Dave Johnson's Sirius/XM 243 Down The Stretch radio show around 11AM Eastern. And on Sunday Joe Withee invited me to be on his Emerald Downs show around 11:30AM Eastern. It's going to be fun promoting a book that promotes horse racing and its announcers!

I haven't read the last page or two of the thread.

Have you been on Steve Byk's "At The Races" on Sirius/XM radio?

SmartyParty
05-25-2010, 03:55 PM
I haven't read the last page or two of the thread.

Have you been on Steve Byk's "At The Races" on Sirius/XM radio?

No, I haven't, but the photographer Tom Ferry who has about 20 of his pictures in the book, listens to him religiously. My problem is that the only time I get XM radio is when I'm in my truck.

SmartyParty
05-25-2010, 04:40 PM
"My" announcers are so generous! I've been getting replies from them that they would be happy to sign copies of the book at the various racetracks. It is THEIR signature that the fans want! How cool!

thespaah
05-26-2010, 02:28 PM
I wanted to let you know about three radio shows that are coming up where I'll be talking about the book. Craig is having me on his show this coming Thursday afternoon. On Saturday I'll be on Dave Johnson's Sirius/XM 243 Down The Stretch radio show around 11AM Eastern. And on Sunday Joe Withee invited me to be on his Emerald Downs show around 11:30AM Eastern. It's going to be fun promoting a book that promotes horse racing and its announcers!OUTSTANDING!!!!
I will try to listen in then!

Kelso5Time
05-29-2010, 11:15 AM
I hope everyone enjoys this book as much as I did. I have known Edie for about 5 years now, and have been "along for the ride" so to speak. I am so proud and excited that the book is here, and I know I would love it even if I wasn't her friend. This is a subject that certainly needed to be addressed, and I think she did an excellent job. I learned so much about the men behind the voices and have a deep admiration for each and every one of them.

Kelso5Time
06-21-2010, 08:11 AM
Just wanted to add that Edie will be on HRTV this Wednesday (June 23rd) via telephone discussing her book. Time is 12:15 EST. Don't miss it! :)

SmartyParty
06-21-2010, 10:10 AM
I hope everyone enjoys this book as much as I did. I have known Edie for about 5 years now, and have been "along for the ride" so to speak. I am so proud and excited that the book is here, and I know I would love it even if I wasn't her friend. This is a subject that certainly needed to be addressed, and I think she did an excellent job. I learned so much about the men behind the voices and have a deep admiration for each and every one of them.

Wow! I just now saw your great post! Thanks, Kelso5Time! Here's to Operation Saratoga!

kenwoodall2
06-21-2010, 11:27 AM
I too congratulate you!!

SmartyParty
06-21-2010, 06:02 PM
I too congratulate you!!

Thanks, kenwoodall2. I watch HRTV religiously so I'm excited and nervous about the interview on this Wednesday on their Race Day America.