PDA

View Full Version : How old are you?

CBedo
05-13-2010, 11:02 PM
Just interested to see the demographics of P.A, and wondering how it compares to the thoroughbred handicapping fan base as a whole.

How old is the average horse player you think?

thespaah
05-13-2010, 11:13 PM
Just interested to see the demographics of P.A, and wondering how it compares to the thoroughbred handicapping fan base as a whole.

How old is the average horse player you think?44.

BluegrassProf
05-13-2010, 11:18 PM
How old is the average horse player you think?When I was in Lexi, I'd probably have guessed the average age to be around 40 (though distribution was pretty wide, given that Lexington is, after all, Lexington).

'Round here (read: IN), it's about 94. In the OTBs, maybe 128.

Regional variation at the local level, methinks. ;)

gheuks
05-13-2010, 11:23 PM

ManeMediaMogul
05-13-2010, 11:32 PM
I think your poll will be lopsided toward an older demographic.

No self-respecting young person would want to hang out here with a bunch of geezers laying around on their sofas wearing nothing but old faded Pink Floyd T-shirts and their draw string cinched "lounge pants", falling asleep in front of their computer screens and dreaming about the days when they had a full head of hair and all races were run on dirt.

BillW
05-13-2010, 11:35 PM
old faded Pink Floyd T-shirts

It's surprising how many 20 YO's I've seen lately wearing Pink Floyd Tees :)

Robert Goren
05-13-2010, 11:38 PM
Old enough to know better and too young to care. I have no idea what that means, but it sounded cool.:confused: :)

Learned Hand35
05-13-2010, 11:46 PM
Thanks CeBedo. The options in the poll just reinforced a fact that have yet to come to terms with. I can no longer say I am in my early 30s.

sigh.

GameTheory
05-13-2010, 11:47 PM

No self-respecting young person would want to hang out here with a bunch of geezers laying around on their sofas wearing nothing but old faded Pink Floyd T-shirts and their draw string cinched "lounge pants", falling asleep in front of their computer screens and dreaming about the days when they had a full head of hair and all races were run on dirt.Usually when we do this, it skews young just like everything else on the internet. The 80 year olds aren't quite as hip to computer forums (in general).

Bruddah
05-14-2010, 12:46 AM

No self-respecting young person would want to hang out here with a bunch of geezers laying around on their sofas wearing nothing but old faded Pink Floyd T-shirts and their draw string cinched "lounge pants", falling asleep in front of their computer screens and dreaming about the days when they had a full head of hair and all races were run on dirt.

So you're the one who has been peeking into my windows at night. :eek:

JustRalph
05-14-2010, 12:49 AM

I showed this post to my wife and she laughed, she wanted to know if you have been looking in my window

CBedo
05-14-2010, 01:06 AM
When I was in Lexi, I'd probably have guessed the average age to be around 40 (though distribution was pretty wide, given that Lexington is, after all, Lexington).

'Round here (read: IN), it's about 94. In the OTBs, maybe 128.

Regional variation at the local level, methinks. ;)Same in Denver OTBS. The average age is at least 25 years older than those I see when at Arapahoe (which isn't young by any means).

CBedo
05-14-2010, 01:08 AM
Thanks CeBedo. The options in the poll just reinforced a fact that have yet to come to terms with. I can no longer say I am in my early 30s.

sigh.Ha! At 40 years old, I must admit that I had to play with the age bins so that I got into one that still included some thirty somethings! ;)

CBedo
05-14-2010, 01:09 AM

No self-respecting young person would want to hang out here with a bunch of geezers laying around on their sofas wearing nothing but old faded Pink Floyd T-shirts and their draw string cinched "lounge pants", falling asleep in front of their computer screens and dreaming about the days when they had a full head of hair and all races were run on dirt.As crotchety as we all get sometimes here at P.A. some might have thought that we were all too old for Pink Floyd! HA! :lol:

Dave Schwartz
05-14-2010, 01:10 AM
Not sure why anyone would care but I am 59 going on 22.

Maverick58034
05-14-2010, 01:23 AM

JustRalph
05-14-2010, 01:30 AM
how many in this thread have seen pink floyd live ?

I did....... but can't remember shit about it.......... :bang:

ManeMediaMogul
05-14-2010, 03:03 AM

If you remembered it, you didn't have the full "comfortably numb" experience.

thorobasePA
05-14-2010, 05:18 AM

illinoisbred
05-14-2010, 07:02 AM
54. Never saw Pink Floyd live-was more of an REO Speedwagon,Allman Bros.,Foghat guy, but Dark Side of the Moon will always be a classic album.

tucker6
05-14-2010, 07:43 AM

Hey, do you know me or somethin'?? LOL.

Apparently, you are incorrect. The demographics as I type are fairly even across the board. I would have guessed as you did before taking the poll. I'm surprised so many here are in their 20's and 30's.

Horseplayersbet.com
05-14-2010, 09:38 AM
7 squared.

CBedo
05-14-2010, 09:42 AM
7 squared.14?--Oops, sorry, that's racetrack management math (Takeout of 14 out of the 49...)

jballscalls
05-14-2010, 10:31 AM

BlueShoe
05-14-2010, 10:41 AM
Who, or what, is Pink Floyd?

Bettowin
05-14-2010, 11:00 AM

I thinks he is dating Taylor Swift.

DJofSD
05-14-2010, 11:05 AM
If you had asked how long I had been betting on horse racing, I'd answer that. But to the question 'how old am I', I'm with the detective -- none of your business.

KidCapper
05-14-2010, 11:06 AM
40 .....arghh... Just realized my nick KidCapper was an on-air radio nick given to me more than 10 years ago when I started my career as a public handicapper!! Maybe need to change it to not-so-kidcapper!! lol

johnhannibalsmith
05-14-2010, 11:52 AM

He was the slightly effeminate gentleman that cut Andy and Opie's hair.

http://www.hss.caltech.edu/~chambers/floyd.jpg

CBedo
05-14-2010, 11:57 AM
If you had asked how long I had been betting on horse racing, I'd answer that. But to the question 'how old am I', I'm with the detective -- none of your business.That was a logical next question. Either that, or something along the lines of "at what age were you introduced to (and hooked on) handicapping and racing?"

And I don't really care about anyone's specific age, I just want to see the distribution of the overall PA group (so I hope you voted since no one can see your vote).

A. Pineda
05-14-2010, 12:03 PM

Haven't seen Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Blues Bros., Savoy Brown, The Average White Band, or Green Day, but I did see Red Skelton live. He never sang one note, though.

windoor
05-14-2010, 12:03 PM

Rings of truth when I read this. I still have my hair, but everything else is sagging or hurts.

I still have my Jimmie Hendrix shirt somewhere.

Regards,

Windoor

v j stauffer
05-14-2010, 12:09 PM
51 aka near death

DJofSD
05-14-2010, 12:13 PM
Hey, Vic, don't ya know, the 50's are the new 40's?

BlueShoe
05-14-2010, 12:25 PM
(A) Deceased, or (B) It wont be long now.

Cardus
05-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Usually when we do this, it skews young just like everything else on the internet. The 80 year olds aren't quite as hip to computer forums (in general).

I'm 78 and I handle myself just fine here, and with computers generally.

joanied
05-14-2010, 12:47 PM
I don't have a Pink Flloyd or Hendrix tee-shirt :D but I went to alot of concerts, remember most, although I don't know how;) ...from the Rolling Stones to...Woodstock...so how old am I...makes ya wonder?

Hedevar
05-14-2010, 12:48 PM
60. No Pink Floyd but The Who and Led Zeppelin back in the day.

CBedo
05-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Haven't seen Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Blues Bros., Savoy Brown, The Average White Band, or Green Day, but I did see Red Skelton live. He never sang one note, though.What about Whitesnake, Blues Traveler, The Yellow Moon Band......

johnhannibalsmith
05-14-2010, 01:43 PM
...so how old am I...makes ya wonder?

ohoh...I guess I gave my age away...yep...I am 62 years old...but going on 30

Do I win? :)

tzipi
05-14-2010, 02:24 PM
29 yrs old.

BluegrassProf
05-14-2010, 03:48 PM
What about Whitesnake, Blues Traveler, The Yellow Moon Band......What about the unsurpassed divinity of Scorpions' "Wind of Change?" Oh my damn, how I luuuv that song. :D

Deepsix
05-14-2010, 04:02 PM
One of us is getting old! Ha! This song I listened to while sitting in my dorm room Freshman year of college. About a year later I had dropped out of school and was in the military. My how time does fly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntLsElbW9Xo&feature=related

GaryG
05-14-2010, 04:23 PM
I have seen Cream, Velvet Underground, Airplane, Who, Jeff Beck, Doors and others, but that period is a little bit fuzzy.....:eek:

plainolebill
05-14-2010, 04:50 PM
67, if I'm not mistaken.

letswastemoney
05-14-2010, 04:55 PM
uhhh hmmm....I've seen blink-182 live. Anyone like them>!>!?

garyoz
05-14-2010, 05:45 PM
[QUOTE=windoor]
I still have my Jimmie Hendrix shirt somewhere./QUOTE]

Saw Jimmy Hendrix at Cobo Hall in Detroit (complete with the lighter fluid and match on the reminants of his guitar) in 1968, saw The Airplane, The Doors, The Stones (too many times). Savoy Brown was the house band (it seemed) at the Grandee Ballroom and later at the Eastown. Rod Stewart and the Small Faces, you bet. Cream--yes--probably '68, maybe '67. Clapton too many times after that. All the trios (Blue Cheer--can you hear me now?--turn it up) It was several life times ago. Locally in Detroit--The MC-5 (kick out the jams m*****f****r), the Psychedlic Stooges (Iggy Pop) and Bob Seger both played at my high school during 66-69 at what we used to call "dances"

This thread is highly depressing (LOL). But, one thing that has been consistent in my life since I was nine is that I have played the races, and have certainly spent too much time handicapping.

Hanover1
05-14-2010, 07:25 PM
Humble Pie,Richie Havens, 3Dog Night, Zep, Yes, ELO, Rlack Sabbath with Ozzy onboard, Peter Frampton, ect......list is/was to long. Sure I forgot some, as recreational favors were cheap and plentiful in Vegas and Florida. A misspent youth I never regretted.........

Tampa Russ
05-14-2010, 07:36 PM

TJC
05-14-2010, 08:08 PM

JustRalph
05-14-2010, 08:14 PM
Gary, Bob Seger played at your high school ?

In Ohio ? I know they were big on the OSU campus for a few years.......

I used to work with Seger's ex wife.......met him once. Saw him in concert in 78 ? Stranger in Town had just come out......... neat band live. Back then anyway.

[QUOTE=windoor]

Saw Jimmy Hendrix at Cobo Hall in Detroit (complete with the lighter fluid and match on the reminants of his guitar) in 1968, saw The Airplane, The Doors, The Stones (too many times). Savoy Brown was the house band (it seemed) at the Grandee Ballroom and later at the Eastown. Rod Stewart and the Small Faces, you bet. Cream--yes--probably '68, maybe '67. Clapton too many times after that. All the trios (Blue Cheer--can you hear me now?--turn it up) It was several life times ago. Locally in Detroit--The MC-5 (kick out the jams m*****f****r), the Psychedlic Stooges (Iggy Pop) and Bob Seger both played at my high school during 66-69 at what we used to call "dances"

This thread is highly depressing (LOL). But, one thing that has been consistent in my life since I was nine is that I have played the races, and have certainly spent too much time handicapping.

garyoz
05-14-2010, 08:26 PM
Gary, Bob Seger played at your high school ?

I used to work with Seger's ex wife.......met him once. Saw him in concert in 78 ? Stranger in Town had just come out......... neat band live. Back then anyway.

[QUOTE=garyoz]

Eastside of Detroit, Denby High School. I grew up at Hazel Park and DRC. Also forgot to mention The Amboy Dukes (Ted Nugent). Detroit had an incredible rock scene in the 60's--high energy music--pre-punk. I'm 59 (but don't believe it)-- other groups with recording contracts in the 60's--SRC and Savage Grace. I'm certain there are more.

The racing scene was dominated by Marion Van Berg, and Larry Snyder as a jock. Wayne Catalano was a huge rider in the '70's.

Audioslavery
05-14-2010, 08:33 PM
My parents are horse fanatics, I'm 19 but really started to appreciate the sport around Barbaro/Zenyatta coming into the limelight. I live relatively close to SA and my childhood was filled with a number of visits to the track every year.

The 2007 Triple Crown was the one that really got me on board too, watching Rags to Riches duel it out with Curlin down the Belmont stretch was one of my favorite races that i've seen during my lifespan. Zenyatta at the BCC live was just a tad bit better ;)

Dan H
05-14-2010, 08:55 PM
54 ... but I still check my birth certificate every month for an expiration date.

The Guess Who on 8 track - in my buddy's AMC Pacer - we called it the "no sugar tonight mobile."

Hedevar
05-14-2010, 09:13 PM
[QUOTE=JustRalph]Gary, Bob Seger played at your high school ?

Eastside of Detroit, Denby High School. I grew up at Hazel Park and DRC. Also forgot to mention The Amboy Dukes (Ted Nugent). Detroit had an incredible rock scene in the 60's--high energy music--pre-punk. I'm 59 (but don't believe it)-- other groups with recording contracts in the 60's--SRC and Savage Grace. I'm certain there are more.

The racing scene was dominated by Marion Van Berg, and Larry Snyder as a jock. Wayne Catalano was a huge rider in the '70's.

I remember Catalano as a rider he used to come in to Sportsmans in Cicero, before Bidwell ruined it, for good things on occasion.

Sericm
05-14-2010, 09:38 PM

Saw Dr. Fager win the Californian at Hollywood Park. Beat Rising Market the Horse that got me into racing.

Fager was the best ever.

John Fogerty & Creedence Clearwater.

Sericm:jump:

only11
05-14-2010, 09:43 PM
[QUOTE=windoor]

Who was the better guitarist hendrix or stevie ray vaughn?

cpitt84
05-15-2010, 01:04 AM

johnhannibalsmith
05-15-2010, 01:38 AM
[QUOTE=garyoz]

It depends on whether you've been dropping acid or blowin' coke.

DeanT
05-15-2010, 01:41 AM
I'm 78 and I handle myself just fine here, and with computers generally.
Cool.

JohnGalt1
05-15-2010, 07:34 AM
Barry McGuire sang "Eve of Destruction" at my high school.

Change a few words and it's still relevent.

Also reflects my handicapping some days.

raybo
05-15-2010, 07:40 AM
[QUOTE=garyoz]

61 this month, saw them both, and, SRV was the better guitar player.

brdman12
05-15-2010, 07:52 AM
59..and while we are at it...Neil Young..

only11
05-15-2010, 07:59 AM
[QUOTE=only11]

61 this month, saw them both, and, SRV was the better guitar player.
Wow..i have argued this with many...Hendrix was great...SRV was EXTRAORDINARY

illinoisbred
05-15-2010, 08:00 AM
59..and while we are at it...Neil Young..
Is he still searching for a heart of gold....man,he's getting old. I remember buying his Harvest album back in the early 70's-seems like just a few blinks of the eye ago.

BIG HIT
05-15-2010, 08:02 AM
I'am 63 never thought would be the age of people that didn't want to hang with when younger.Now no choice as you can't runfrom your self. LOL

Shelby
05-15-2010, 08:27 AM
I'm 35 and I'm addicted to the ponies.

Oh wait wrong forum ;)

wisconsin
05-15-2010, 10:14 AM

joanied
05-15-2010, 10:35 AM
Do I win? :)

By default ;) ...I'd forgotten I posted my age :bang:
Good find, dude:ThmbUp:

gm10
05-15-2010, 10:42 AM

There are some tools available that allow to venture a guess.

For example, this is the quantcast analysis of my site

http://www.quantcast.com/latekick.com

69% male
52% are >50
79% have no kids

nativenova
05-15-2010, 12:46 PM
One way out of finding someone's age is ask them who George Forman is ?

Yeah he is the one that sell's those George Forman grills........

CBedo
05-15-2010, 12:52 PM
One way out of finding someone's age is ask them who George Forman is ?

Yeah he is the one that sell's those George Forman grills........I found another way last night at the poker tables. This young kid next to me starts telling me about this "new" game he learned the night before where you get four or five cards that noone can see and then throw some away and get some more. I asked him "was it five card draw?" He got excited and said "that's it! What a fun new game." :lol:

Ahh, the holdem generation.

CBedo
05-15-2010, 12:53 PM
uhhh hmmm....I've seen blink-182 live. Anyone like them>!>!?Hard to believe it's been more than 15 years since their first album!

JustRalph
05-16-2010, 01:25 AM
I found another way last night at the poker tables. This young kid next to me starts telling me about this "new" game he learned the night before where you get four or five cards that noone can see and then throw some away and get some more. I asked him "was it five card draw?" He got excited and said "that's it! What a fun new game." :lol:

That is funny

Robert Goren
05-16-2010, 10:10 AM
Wonder what he will say when someone tells him about wild card games.

tzipi
05-16-2010, 11:30 AM
I found another way last night at the poker tables. This young kid next to me starts telling me about this "new" game he learned the night before where you get four or five cards that noone can see and then throw some away and get some more. I asked him "was it five card draw?" He got excited and said "that's it! What a fun new game." :lol:

:lol: Yeah sure. "What a fun new game!" Was he wearing glasses and a pocket protector too?" ;)

Eddie W
05-16-2010, 11:33 AM
53 and counting away

illinoisbred
05-16-2010, 11:38 AM
Even though there's approx. 250 responses, racetrack execs. would have to look at the graphic bar display and be afraid-very afraid for the future.

Steve 'StatMan'
05-16-2010, 11:52 AM
Maybe the great thing about online forums is that people can be as old as they are inside and how they post - not in how old they look to one another.

DJofSD
05-16-2010, 12:00 PM
Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional. ~Chili Davis

tzipi
05-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional. ~Chili Davis

:D . Always show a smile. Always put out a laugh and never compain about the small stuff. No one ever will know your age ;)

CincyHorseplayer
05-16-2010, 07:16 PM
Old enough to know better,too young to care,and able enough to fight you for it if you disagree!!:)

Bettowin
05-16-2010, 10:49 PM
:D . Always show a smile. Always put out a laugh and never compain about the small stuff. No one ever will know your age ;)

Kinda like don't sweat the petty stuff just pet the sweaty stuff:)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

kenwoodall2
05-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Since I first saw your results the 0-34 groups have only increased 1 and the % has gone down- but the % of horseplayers 35+ has gone up! Your survey crowd reflects real-life racing!!

GameTheory
05-17-2010, 11:59 AM
Since I first saw your results the 0-34 groups have only increased 1 and the % has gone down- but the % of horseplayers 35+ has gone up! Your survey crowd reflects real-life racing!!"Real-life" would skew even older, I think. Racing will always skew old -- maybe we actually DON'T need young fans. Maybe it picks up people in middle-age, like golf traditionally has done...

cj
05-17-2010, 12:01 PM
"Real-life" would skew even older, I think. Racing will always skew old -- maybe we actually DON'T need young fans. Maybe it picks up people in middle-age, like golf traditionally has done...

Exactly right. How many "young" people have money to blow on horse racing?

kenwoodall2
05-17-2010, 12:15 PM
I'll have to answer your question in just a minute- Spring break is on MTV and the 18+'s at the frat party bought enough booze and brought back to their hotel roomss and are about drunk enough to play "Rachael Alexandra and Zenyetta Post Parade" with a good looking blonde after their senior "track vet" inspects the girls!!!!

DJofSD
05-17-2010, 12:15 PM
"Real-life" would skew even older, I think. Racing will always skew old -- maybe we actually DON'T need young fans. Maybe it picks up people in middle-age, like golf traditionally has done...
I resemble that remark, except in my situation, I seem to be handicapping races less and working on my handicap more.

Grits
05-17-2010, 12:36 PM

Very, very good point, GT. The young do have less income (and, time as well). Regardless of how they talk. Theirs is taken by monthly expenses, along with children to raise. Still, its difficult to get racing marketeers to understand this. Any afternoon spent at Keeneland would be a testament. Young people (unless they're trust fund babies) have no money; they're busy looking for others that do.

My age, by the way, unlike Red Knave recently said, is not 39 and holding. Didn't tell him that, don't know why he thought it.:lol: I'm 58.

The upside to this--is the pretty good likehood of being in a position to be able to wager more than a 25 or 35 year old.
(Sometimes, age ain't all bad.)

Red Knave
05-17-2010, 05:18 PM
My age, by the way, unlike Red Knave recently said, is not 39 and holding. Didn't tell him that, don't know why he thought it.:lol: I just assumed you were the same age as me. ;)

Bullet Plane
05-17-2010, 05:24 PM
Racing is alot like church. You don't see many young people there.

To enjoy racing, you have to study. When I was young, man did I ever hate to study. Got in the way of drinking and the parties.

garyoz
05-17-2010, 05:43 PM

Article in Friday's Wall Street Journal that young people are missing from the golf course too. I'm around college students, and I think it is as much a question of time and technology permeating their life as it is money. Younger people have very full lives--whether or not you agree with their priorities.

Grits
05-17-2010, 07:13 PM
I just assumed you were the same age as me. ;)

LOLOL Don't I wish!!! If I ever venture down the cougar path, RK, you're the first one I'm gonna stalk . . . . .

joanied
05-17-2010, 07:18 PM
LOLOL Don't I wish!!! If I ever venture down the cougar path, RK, you're the first one I'm gonna stalk . . . . .

:lol:

I notice that the majority here are over 50...we can start our own Old Folks Home...build it right near a major race track, and we're good to go:jump:

Tampa Russ
05-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Racing is alot like church. You don't see many young people there.

To enjoy racing, you have to study. When I was young, man did I ever hate to study. Got in the way of drinking and the parties.

I studied in college (Shippensburg PA). Spent many, many nights at the library sifting through miles of race results on microfiche after reading Andy Beyer's picking winners. Made my own track variants. Would go to Penn or CT depending upon which night it was. I remember hitting my first $100+ double using a fig I had on a maiden shipped to Penn from TDN. Not exactly an "I'm king of the world" moment, but that was beer money about 2 months back then.

Fingal
05-17-2010, 08:10 PM
I have seen Cream, Velvet Underground, Airplane, Who, Jeff Beck, Doors and others, but that period is a little bit fuzzy.....:eek:

It probably is for them too. I just remember something about some kind of a white rabbit....................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WANNqr-vcx0

Grits
05-17-2010, 08:35 PM
:lol:

I notice that the majority here are over 50...we can start our own Old Folks Home...build it right near a major race track, and we're good to go:jump:

You got it Joanie, maybe we can get our DRF in "large print" edition.

Too, you and I can run the bingo game on dark days. It damn sure beats bridge and canasta. (I wouldn't be caught dead playing either.)

CJ'sd and Ralph can run the poker game, harrass the nurses, and line up the wheelchair relays.

Winter can drop in on us to conduct weekly sessions with therapy dogs, along with any other creatures she deems capable of benefitting us.

On a side note . . . . . didn't anyone here EVER see the Eagles or Fleetwood Mac?

GaryG
05-17-2010, 08:53 PM
This MUST be played at max volume. The Velvets were incredible and I believe that Lou Reed is still rockin. This was 44 years ago, clearly the NY punks were listening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOmZimH00oo

kenwoodall2
05-17-2010, 09:41 PM
There has been a few horse racing songs over the years. The Ice Cream truck still plays "Camptown Races"; I remember "The Race Is On".

illinoisbred
05-17-2010, 09:47 PM
There has been a few horse racing songs over the years. The Ice Cream truck still plays "Camptown Races"; I remember "The Race Is On".
Run For The Roses-Dan Fogelberg-smaltzy,but pretty good.

miesque
05-18-2010, 12:12 AM
A jaded and implacable 38 years old.

CBedo
05-18-2010, 12:55 AM
Exactly right. How many "young" people have money to blow on horse racing?Judging by the poker room, I'd say plenty!

Tee
05-18-2010, 01:16 AM
Where do you usually play?

Judging by the poker room, I'd say plenty!

joanied
05-18-2010, 10:54 AM
You got it Joanie, maybe we can get our DRF in "large print" edition.

Too, you and I can run the bingo game on dark days. It damn sure beats bridge and canasta. (I wouldn't be caught dead playing either.)

CJ'sd and Ralph can run the poker game, harrass the nurses, and line up the wheelchair relays.

Winter can drop in on us to conduct weekly sessions with therapy dogs, along with any other creatures she deems capable of benefitting us.

On a side note . . . . . didn't anyone here EVER see the Eagles or Fleetwood Mac?

Sounds good to me:lol:

I saw so many great groups, including Woodstock...but never did see Fleetwood Mac in person (one of my all time favorites)...and really had no desire to see the Eagles...although, I see a few here on the farm almost everyday:D

RockHardTen1985
05-18-2010, 07:05 PM
24....3/11/86

Red Knave
05-19-2010, 08:48 AM
I just assumed you were the same age as me. ;)Actually I was right. :)
:eek:

You would have to be a LOT older to be a cougar to me. :D

CBedo
05-19-2010, 06:15 PM
It's somewhat interesting to me that when the poll was started, most of the data bins were fairly equal, but the longer the poll runs, the older it seems to skew.

Does that mean the the younger you are, the more likely you are to check your online communities more often (more computer interaction?)?

Just an observation.

WeirdWilly
05-19-2010, 06:37 PM
54. Never saw Pink Floyd live-was more of an REO Speedwagon,Allman Bros.,Foghat guy, but Dark Side of the Moon will always be a classic album.

Pink Floyd Ummagumma is clasic Halloween music. Used to blast "Astronomy Domine" and "A Collection Of Small Furry Creatures Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict" and watch how the kids (and their parents) would avoid our house.

More candy for us!

Hanover1
05-20-2010, 01:04 PM
25 or 6 2 4 Will you still need me, will you still feed me? when I'm 64......

onefast99
05-20-2010, 04:49 PM
55 on Haskell Day!

DJofSD
05-20-2010, 05:07 PM
Happy B-day, Eddie.

deathandgravity
05-20-2010, 05:16 PM
308.... in dog years

tampahorseplayer
05-20-2010, 05:40 PM
Longtime lurker so this is my first post, lifelong horseplayer at 30. How many of you were introduced into racing by a family member and kind of grew into it?

domino1891
05-20-2010, 05:44 PM
Les Brown's Sentimental Journey was the Billboard #1 song on the day I was born.

point given
05-20-2010, 06:00 PM
Les Brown's Sentimental Journey was the Billboard #1 song on the day I was born.

Geez....... you must be older than dirt .:rolleyes:

CBedo
05-21-2010, 03:22 AM
Longtime lurker so this is my first post, lifelong horseplayer at 30. How many of you were introduced into racing by a family member and kind of grew into it?me for sure, by my grandfather. Another telling statistic about horse racing's stellar marketing that probably most of us were introduced by family and some by friends, not because of "Go Baby Go!" or other supposed marketing campaigns.

domino1891
05-22-2010, 08:05 AM
Geez....... you must be older than dirt .:rolleyes:

yep, older than dirt or synthetic

CBedo
05-23-2010, 01:09 AM
Over 300 responses. Thanks guys (and gals).

Hajck Hillstrom
05-23-2010, 10:55 PM
Over 300 responses.With a demographic pretty similar to what we see at the race track.... and similar to the attendance number as well on any given week-day.

bitter
05-24-2010, 09:26 AM
this poll shocks me, in a good way

never thought there would be soo many tech savy 60+ year olds out there... hats off seriously

raybo
05-24-2010, 08:34 PM
this poll shocks me, in a good way

never thought there would be soo many tech savy 60+ year olds out there... hats off seriously

I was lucky, I guess (?), and joined the USAF in 1970 and received the equivalent of approximately $250K of electronics training on one of the first "smart" weapons delivery systems ever built, the A7D attack and close ground support bird. Also trained and worked on the B57G, F4C's and D's, and the C130 Gunship (Spectre gunships, 13th SOS). All but the F4s had basically the same computerized weapons delivery/navigational avionics packages.

So, with all that computer training and experience, jumping to PCs after the military was a no-brainer.

jefftune
05-24-2010, 10:41 PM
Never saw Pink Floyd but saw practically everyone else back in the day. Hendrix was the best hands down and whoever said Stevie Ray is better is still smokin sumthin. That's like saying Big Brown was better than Secretariat.

JustRalph
05-24-2010, 11:00 PM

Renowned and all.......great song............

WinterTriangle
05-25-2010, 02:54 AM
racetrack execs. would have to look at the graphic bar display and be afraid-very afraid for the future.

Actually, you are correct.

The most sought-after consumers, from a marketing perspective, is the Gen Yer's. They represent a HUGE market segment, way larger than baby boomers, and will dictate the future of business and buying power (as huge numbers of boomers retire). In other words, they hold the cards.:)

They were brought up with technology, which has formed and changed them. They are very unlike baby boomers. Urgency, stimulation, shorter attention spans, etc. They are also very consumer-savvy, know how to shop, and how to get deals.

they love small, are entreprenureal, and love companies that are humble, and that cater to them and treat them well......Zappos online store, which sells shoes, and who I have bought from for years, is an example. They are HUGELY successful!!! (If you call and order shoes, you will know why. :) ) Zappos over-delivers in so many ways and is very *friendly*.

So, all these things, to me, don't bode well for GenYer's getting interested in horseracing.

Track execs need to do marketing research the way the real marketers do. The racing model, as it currently stands, is not going to work. Jockeys being on facebook does help, etc.

miesque
05-25-2010, 10:39 PM
Actually, you are correct.

The most sought-after consumers, from a marketing perspective, is the Gen Yer's. They represent a HUGE market segment, way larger than baby boomers, and will dictate the future of business and buying power (as huge numbers of boomers retire). In other words, they hold the cards.:)

They were brought up with technology, which has formed and changed them. They are very unlike baby boomers. Urgency, stimulation, shorter attention spans, etc. They are also very consumer-savvy, know how to shop, and how to get deals.

they love small, are entreprenureal, and love companies that are humble, and that cater to them and treat them well......Zappos online store, which sells shoes, and who I have bought from for years, is an example. They are HUGELY successful!!! (If you call and order shoes, you will know why. :) ) Zappos over-delivers in so many ways and is very *friendly*.

So, all these things, to me, don't bode well for GenYer's getting interested in horseracing.

Track execs need to do marketing research the way the real marketers do. The racing model, as it currently stands, is not going to work. Jockeys being on facebook does help, etc.

The most interesting facet of Generation Y for me has been how much money they were collectively spending when they collectively were not old enough to have what I consider lucrative jobs to afford such expenditures. Its called being spoiled rotten and brought up with no real discipline, no work ethic, way too easy to chew up and spit out. :D But their Baby Boomer parents are having a bit of a wakeup call as they approach retirement with far less net assets relative to their spending then the parents of the Generation X'ers whom everyone seems to have forgotten.

Foolish Pleasure
05-26-2010, 11:48 AM
1/4 of the people appear to be <=41yo.

As usual that completely flies in the face of the typical portrayal of racing demographics where 90% of the customers are supposedly in their 60's.

Seniors love to gamble, the population is aging-

how anyone can be negative on any form of gambling is mind numbing.

RichieP
05-26-2010, 02:37 PM
49 but dreaming of 69 :faint:

domino1891
05-26-2010, 02:59 PM
Even though there's approx. 250 responses, racetrack execs. would have to look at the graphic bar display and be afraid-very afraid for the future.

If you put this exact poll up at another popular racing forum, I think the demographics would change a lot.

raybo
05-26-2010, 08:10 PM
If you put this exact poll up at another popular racing forum, I think the demographics would change a lot.

Yeah, if the poster wanted to know the demographics, industry wide, he picked the wrong forum. Many members here have been at it for most of their lives and are intelligent enough to realize that the endeavor can be fruitful and extremely challenging, so, why quit once they reach their golden years?

That said, industry wide, I think the demographics are very much skewed toward older, rather than younger, players due to the older players having been there in it's heyday. We keep hoping those days will return, but if not, we'll probably "keep on keepin on", anyway.

kenwoodall2
05-26-2010, 11:26 PM
1/4 of the people appear to be <=41yo.

As usual that completely flies in the face of the typical portrayal of racing demographics where 90% of the customers are supposedly in their 60's.

Seniors love to gamble, the population is aging-

how anyone can be negative on any form of gambling is mind numbing.
The typical crowd is found at tracks and OTB's, and if you knew the number of young bettors vs older that spend enough time online on other than social networking sites you might be surprised, too! Ask ADW's for the demographics!

Thomas Roulston
05-29-2010, 04:44 AM
Not as old as my username would suggest.

Bruddah
11-14-2010, 09:09 PM
Mentally 24, Chronilogically 64. Still above the roots and having a good time. :D

keithw84
11-14-2010, 09:38 PM
26, became a fan during the 2008 Triple Crown

karlskorner
11-15-2010, 10:54 AM
85. Walking to the Paddock daily, just a little slower

mountainman
11-15-2010, 11:12 AM
53, but look and act 52.

Steve R
11-15-2010, 11:46 AM
67...I still remember watching Native Dancer on TV when I was 10...A little later, Swaps and Nashua.

tubesockshakur
11-15-2010, 03:59 PM
49....saw the who at anaheim stadium 1976, plus prob. every band from aerosmith to zep.

raybo
11-15-2010, 04:49 PM
Anybody else see "Love Me Tender" at the movie theater? I think that was the name of Elvis' first movie, it was a western. I was just a kid then so don't remember too much about the movie, except that my parents thought it was a big deal. Must have, because we were dirt poor and that's the only movie I ever remember going to before I was a teenager.

Dang, that was a long time ago!

mrhorseplayer
11-15-2010, 05:23 PM
42 and still a kid

Trotman
11-15-2010, 05:28 PM
:6: :5: and OH SO ALIVE :ThmbUp:

CryingForTheHorses
11-15-2010, 05:53 PM
:6: :5: and OH SO ALIVE :ThmbUp:

Give me a V
Give me a I
Give me a A
Give me a G
Give me a R
Give me a A

What do you get.... :lol:

Zippy Chippy
11-15-2010, 06:11 PM
36/but act 16 still..

raybo
11-15-2010, 06:17 PM
42 and still a kid

Don't doubt it. At 42 I was still playing baseball, not softball, baseball. Finally had to give it up at 44, due to 2 pulled hamstrings and throwing my shoulder out. Just took too long to heal.

toussaud
11-15-2010, 06:31 PM

tubesockshakur
11-15-2010, 06:48 PM
thats why this sport ( excluding toussaud ) is dying a slow and painful death.....its all old people, need to find a way to attract young gamblers.

appistappis
11-15-2010, 08:46 PM
I'm 55.....my cougars have blue hair.

Linny
11-15-2010, 09:44 PM
I'm 47 and female, fan since 1973, bettor since 1978 (other than the $2 increments my Dad bet for me!) and employed in the industry since 1998.

thaskalos
11-15-2010, 10:19 PM
I will be 49 later this week...

Where has the time gone?