PDA

View Full Version : 'Blogging' from the Preakness

OTM Al
05-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Wanted to relimber my writing skills before Saratoga season starts up, so thought I'd start up a little Preakness 'blog' from the scene of the second jewel.

We made it down in nice time this afternoon. Staying a bit south of Baltimore in Columbia at the Sheraton. Took a few minutes to get the wireless running, but all's well now. Nice place right on the river, which is full of ducks and a few egrets. Think I even saw an oriole as well. Going to take it easy tonight as two big days at the track and beyond are coming up, which reminds me I better put some money in my account!

Passed by Delaware Park on the way down which got me to thinking how many tracks must there be just a few miles off I-95 all the way from Maine (Scarborough Downs, trotters I know but OTB locations are few and far up there!) to Miami. Hoping to hit Delaware Park on the way back on Monday, so if anyone knows cheap yet clean lodgings in the area, chime in. Of course this is contingent on not going broke the next 2 days.....

So anyone attending the old Bawlmor hilltop in the next couple days, chime in with your thoughts as well, or even if you have a question, recommendation, or comment. Got the iPad with me as well, so will be doing some updates from the track. Maybe a little taste for those not lucky enough (or perhaps too smart!) to be there in person.

bisket
05-13-2010, 08:26 PM
al go to phillips seafood restaurant downtown at the inner harbor, and get the crab imperial. best dish in town. directions to phillips: from where you are 95 north to 395 downtown. stay right when the exit splits. go past camden yards on your left and make a right onto pratt street (pratt street is your 3rd light). stay to the right on pratt and make a right onto light street. park at the hotel on your right i think its the hyatt. take the pedestrian bridge over light street and phillips is right there. call ahead and reserve a table. are you going to stay somewhere different the night before going to delaware or are looking to stay somewhere after delaware?

Bobzilla
05-13-2010, 08:27 PM
I've stayed at the Christiana Hilton in the past while competing in tournaments held at Delaware Park. It's conveniently located just down the road, no more than a five minute drive. It's a nice hotel, clean, good breakfast buffet and every evening they take a group down to the pond to feed their swans. There are restaurants close by such as the Olive Garden. Here is a link from the Delaware Park website that lists nearby accomodations. Good luck this weekend and have a safe and fun trip.

http://www.delawarepark.com/dir_hotels.php

Shelby
05-13-2010, 08:47 PM
I can't wait to read your updates :)

slewis
05-13-2010, 09:26 PM
Hey Al.....

Feel free to stop by and say hello...
We have CC's PAL running in the Black Eyed Susan....Although they gave us a
fancy table in the fancy dining room, you'll find us in tee shirts and jeans lerking in the Grandstand... (hey, we know our roots)..

Check for us at some of the bar area's ...Derek Ryan usually drags us there.. (without much resistance....since he knows HIS roots too!:lol:

cj's dad
05-13-2010, 09:50 PM
Hi Al,

I'll call you tomorrow and let you where on the apron I and Justin are sitting.

Avoid Philips like the plague- all of their dishes are pre - packaged and frozen and then defrosted on site.

I know you are going to the O's game Friday or is it Saturday ??

Anyway, i'll see you tomorrow and say hi.

I'll PM you w/ my cell #'s and seat locations.

take care --- D

PhantomOnTour
05-13-2010, 10:07 PM
If you can find the Mt. Washington Tavern stop in for a bite. Nice horseracing themed decor upstairs, but kind of a college drinking scene downstairs. Have no idea where it is as I only went once, but had a great time. Look it up or maybe CJ's Dad or another local can help you out. Man I'm jealous...I will have to live this years' Preakness vicariously through you. Have a great time and post as often as you can. I'll be reading.

OTM Al
05-14-2010, 07:29 AM
Friday morning, 7am. Been up for a bit. Sky looks pretty gloomy. Haven't checked the weather yet, but not liking what I'm seeing. Really hate waking up this early, especially when I don't have to, but always seem to. Sign of pending old age? Had my dinner last night around 5 as well. The evidence mounts. Oh well, beats the alternative.

Looking forward to some fun today. Pulled down the PPs onto the iPad for today's card. Looks pretty good on the gadget. Card should be good too as long as it doesn't get wet. One of Kathy's favorites is running today in the race right before the feature, Lights Off Annie. Too bad that MEI hemorrhaged so much cash that they had to cancel the Pimlico Special again. Wouldn't mind seeing some good older males (there are a few of those left aren't there?) running in a Gr1.

Time to get cleaned up and hit that "free" breakfast buffet. Got a taste for eggs. Don't have them often anymore because of needing to lower the cholesterol count, but hey, I'm on vacation!

cj's dad
05-14-2010, 07:42 AM
Hi Al,

My seats are on the Apron- Grandstand Box I-4 and K-9.

I'll be getting there around 2:30 or so, and I'll call you then.

Tom
05-14-2010, 09:49 AM
Jimmy's for seafood.
Great place - great atmosphere.

Every morning, fresh from the Bay...shrimp come in on the tug boats,
and crabs come in on the Captain's Dinghy.

PhantomOnTour
05-14-2010, 10:19 AM
Jimmy's for seafood.
Great place - great atmosphere.

Every morning, fresh from the Bay...shrimp come in on the tug boats,
and crabs come in on the Captain's Dinghy.
Funny man Tom!
Reminds me of when me and some fellas were going on a fishing trip in the Gulf of Mexico and one of our young lady friends wanted to come along. She asked, "Will I catch any fish?" To which I replied, "No, but you will come home with a red snapper."

OTM Al
05-14-2010, 10:48 AM
Prepping to head out to the track in an hour or so. Breakfast was quite good. Eggs were skipped though they had an ommelette man. I had forgotten we are almost south here so how could I not have the biscuits and gravy?

The sky has cleared some, though storms are threatened. Looks like we may need to put the O's game off til Sunday though. Saw a couple herons skimming over the river a few minutes ago. I love watching birds. Mom told me once that they knew all was well with my sight when i was a baby when they saw me watching a bird fly across the sky.

Have to arrange my Preakness purse. Those that know me know I go nowhere without my purple backpack/man purse, but underneath the big NO on the back of my tickets it says "backpacks". I hate this rule as there will be women going into the place with bags larger than my luggage for the trip. Last year I bought a tote bag at the gift shop to carry my stuff, which I will forever use in such circumstance as my Preakness purse. They did this when I went to Churchill for the BC a few years ago. Silly thing was you could buy backpacks in their gift shop. Bought one of those little stuffed horsie backpacks they make for kids. Had to retire him though as he was just a little small. He proudly hangs from his own peg in my apartment though.

Not much to start with in the bag today. iPad, a couple pens, the current Latin piece being read, Ovid's Metamorphases, pretty much it to start. Will have to buy today and tomorrow's forms, (I know I can go fully electronic, but still like to spread out the pages, and besides I like to read the stories and look at the pictures), and I'll probably buy something silly, at the least that god awful signature drink, so I'll throw the empty glass in there as well.

Time to get moving. Back again soon.

Oh, should mention that I am in box I33 on first floor of the clubhouse each day for anyone that wants to say hi.

OTM Al
05-14-2010, 02:20 PM
Here at last. Decent crowd. The ladies are out giving the glad hand. Perhaps a few things can be hooked up. Nice stretch dual in the 5th. Some bumping but didn't look horrid. Wasn't liking much early on the card, so going to meander a bit and get one of those awful drinks.

bisket
05-14-2010, 04:51 PM
actually the best seafood would be at costa's on northpoint blvd. they have the best crabs in town by far. the costa's also have their own stable which included a few years back, hero's reward. phillips isn't frozen food. you can purchase takout meals that you can cook which are frozen, but the food they prepare is some of the best in town.

OTM Al
05-14-2010, 05:46 PM
12th coming up. Been hanging with cj's dad an Justin for the last couple hours. A few beers drank and a few bets made, makings of a fine day. Weather has held well today and actually quite nice at the moment.

For myself, did hit the triple for a buck in the 10th, so good for the day in that respect.

Ceremony right now for breast cancer survivors with the Komen Foundation. This is a great charity, so whenever you can, its well worth what you can spare.

18 minutes to post in the Black Eyed Susan. Speaking of which, the drink was much better this year. Almost had a second! The pick, #2 with an exacta box with the #5

bisket
05-14-2010, 06:17 PM
what's the scoop on leparoux?

Grits
05-14-2010, 06:24 PM
Walked up the steps to the jock's room. Seemed fine.

bisket
05-14-2010, 06:29 PM
thanks it apears he's on his mount for the 13th

bisket
05-14-2010, 06:31 PM
correction garcia has his mount.

OTM Al
05-14-2010, 06:49 PM
We were actually more worried about Kent as the track announcer said Julien was up pretty soon after the race, but heard he's ok.

Trying to get out right now. Just passed a guy trying to go the wrong way on a one way and he seemed to be angry at the other drivers.

Well, not too bad. All free and clear now and heading downtown. Dinner at Tio Pepe's. Spanish restaurant. That means from Spain if you think Taco Bell is Spanish....its ok, I'm a fan of the 89 cent bean burrito myself.

As for me, not bad. The triple was all I hit but up about 45 bucks on the day. While I'm thinking of it, my Preakness pick is Yawanna Twist underneath. Take what you want on top, got nothing to say about that, but think this one is in the money.

PaceAdvantage
05-14-2010, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the real time updates Al...can't wait to read tomorrow's installments...

bisket
05-14-2010, 09:06 PM
i live approximately 10 miles from pimlico, and we didn't get any rain at all. i don't think the track received any rain either. so for anyone handicapping tomorrows cards. track will be fast and more importantly the turf will remain firm. there are still some storms in the vicinity, but none are heading towards the baltimore area. good luck everyone, and hope al has a nice meal.
one other thing the track may be playing differently tomorrow. don't just assume it will be speed favoring. i'm sure they gave the surface a good hard base with the storms coming, but tomorrow they may cut it a littler deeper. they try to make the track as fair as possible for the preakness. wait to see how the first 3-4 races are run to see if its any different.

OTM Al
05-15-2010, 12:06 AM
It did actually start raining just before the last race, though I don't think it amounted to much. The turf course looks to be rock hard and faster than lightning.

Tio Pepe was outstanding. Perhaps better this year than last as we weren't eating with a bunch of jockeys. If you never had, take my word, it's not pretty. Had oysters Rockefeller and the oysters with crab meat for aps. They were huge and just incredible. Also discovered a beer I'd never had before that was quite tasty and making typing this a little difficult, Estrella Galicia. The main course was Pollo y.......whatever the word for lobster tail and a wonderful lobster sauce with rice on the side. I'm still bursting.

Got back to the hotel a few minutes ago and went for a night cap, but alas, the hotel bar had already called last call. Ah dear boy, you are not in Oz anymore but you are out in America. Probably for the best as it will be another big day tomorrow.

So goodnight you kings of New England, you Princes of Maine (hope I got that ref right). See you in the morning.

bisket
05-15-2010, 01:09 AM
actually the best seafood would be at costa's on northpoint blvd. they have the best crabs in town by far. the costa's also have their own stable which included a few years back, hero's reward. phillips isn't frozen food. you can purchase takout meals that you can cook which are frozen, but the food they prepare is some of the best in town.
race 4 #9 :ThmbUp: lone speed?

Shelby
05-15-2010, 08:05 AM
Hey Al.....

Feel free to stop by and say hello...
We have CC's PAL running in the Black Eyed Susan....Although they gave us a
fancy table in the fancy dining room, you'll find us in tee shirts and jeans lerking in the Grandstand... (hey, we know our roots)..

Check for us at some of the bar area's ...Derek Ryan usually drags us there.. (without much resistance....since he knows HIS roots too!:lol:
I was cheering so hard for CC....maybe next time.

OTM Al
05-15-2010, 08:07 AM
A bright and beautiful morning. Those Gallic stars as only shining dimly in my head......good thing I decided to lay off that second black eyed Susan.

Can't say enough about how good dinner was last night. So to give a much more sober review, the primary dishes are seafood based and most things are served with rice. It is a Spanish restaurant after all. Kathy had a curried prawn dish. Now my favorite curry is actually Burmese curry. This is much like the Indian curry that the Brits exported to Europe and was the basis of what Kathy had. I didn't try it, but it really smelled wonderful. Even had a slice of some sort of wonderful chocolate cake that had layers of cream. It is a little pricy, dinner for the four of us was about $250 but a visit to 10 E Franklin in Baltimore will not be regretted.

Always good to get that shower when one is, shall we say, a bit groggy. Hotel showers always befuddle me. There is always some sort of fancy handle to turn them on that rarely seems to have an arrow or letters on it telling you which way is hot. You figure it out eventually, but you always fear that ice cold blast.

Speaking of odd appliances I would be remiss if I did not mention the ATMs at Pimlico. Now I always try to avoid these things at the track as I think they have a higher take out than Penn National. But I found myself wanting a beer and being a bit short so I used one. One bill came out, so my first thought was where's the rest? Except the machine dispensed hundreds. This Pimlico is a serious betting place I think.

Well, time for some breakfast I think. Hope they have that biscuits and gravy again. Its medicinal properties will be appreciated.

Shelby
05-15-2010, 08:16 AM
Lol, Al! I'm at a hotel right now and it took me eons to figure out how to turn the damn shower on!

Loving your updates.

Did leparoux get thrown off yesterday? I'm betting at the track in tulsa so I can't hear the commentary at pimlico.

We also hit the dollar tri in the tenth. Nice $160. Oh and also hit the first race I think it was $150.

Did they let you wager on who would win the jockey challenge?

bisket
05-15-2010, 08:52 AM
if the 8th goes like i think it will, its probably gonna be a whopper. a field full of horses with name recognition that i think won't run all that well. look at this one hard because i think if anyone gets it right its gonna be a whopper. good luck; this is what i see right now but could change a horse by race time
2$ tri box
:4: :5: :8: :9: i'll play an exacta box here also. i'll decide later
tio peps is my mothers fav restaurant. you made a good choice. good luck today

Grits
05-15-2010, 09:38 AM
Good luck today Al. Your blog's fun reading.

And Lord! Stay away from the biscuits and gravy, honey . . . not a southerner I know with a grain of sense will go near 'em. It'll take your arteries a month to recover.

bisket
05-15-2010, 12:08 PM
those flaky breaded delights are good with gravy, and hopefully good at picking some winners today ;)

OTM Al
05-15-2010, 12:13 PM
And we are there! Got going a little late as both ladies were busily working this morning, but made good time and traffic wasn't bad. It's a perfect day. Cool and windy.

Sitting on the grandstand side right now. Starting to fill up, but comfortable right now. Always like to walk around a track. Sometimes you notice things off the beaten track. Here at Pimlico they have a nice little museum display with items from the old course. Perhaps will swing by there in a couple minutes as I don't really care much for the 4th race coming up.

Saw slewis on the way in. Must say he looked pretty classy today! Of course I am also wearing jacket and tie today. Second time this week. That probably hasn't happened in several years! Anyway, good luck to him and the connections of Schoolyard Dreams. I think you can't leave him off tickets, though I doubt I play him for the top spot.

Ok, going to wander a bit. Love the Preakness logo this year, but don't think I'll souvenir any as don't see anything that catches the eye. Back after bit.

bisket
05-15-2010, 12:24 PM
wooohoo!! the flaky bread guy did ok on that one!!!

illinoisbred
05-15-2010, 12:27 PM
This has been an enjoyable read. Hope you have a great day on, and off track later.

OTM Al
05-15-2010, 12:46 PM
Back at the seats now. The ladies are here accompanied by a certain little guy. The drink of the day is determined and it is Pepsi.

Have discovered bathing about the iPad. Can hardly see the screen in the sun. Perhaps some setting change can help with that. So forgive bad spelling today.

The staff very nicely allowed me to go into the museum though it was technically closed off along with the dining area. They have the signed agreement there for the Seabiscuit vs War Admiral match race. Also had on display the program page for Secretariat's Preakness. Trivia question for those playing at home. How many did he run against, and other than Sham, who were they?

Have a 1-5 exacta box on the 5th. 12 min to post!

surfdog89
05-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Have a Great Day

http://handicapperscorner.blogspot.com/

bigmack
05-15-2010, 01:15 PM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/5_15_10_10_10_33.pnghttp://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/5_15_10_10_12_40.png

rEOlWDz2KBw

Rookies
05-15-2010, 01:18 PM
Al ,never been to Pimlico. Can you tell me is it a nice looking place ? I've been to some awful dumps over the years and that's why I appreciate places like the Spa, Santa Anita or even Woodbine. If I was ever to go the Preakness, that would be one of the draws.

bisket
05-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Al ,never been to Pimlico. Can you tell me is it a nice looking place ? I've been to some awful dumps over the years and that's why I appreciate places like the Spa, Santa Anita or even Woodbine. If I was ever to go the Preakness, that would be one of the draws.
the race :D

joanied
05-15-2010, 01:28 PM
:ThmbUp: Thanks for the Secretariat Preakness...his move down the backstretch has to be one of the greatest power moves of all time...I still get giant goosebumps when I see that...just takes your breath away:jump:

OTM Al
05-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Sorry about the lapse. Thought the sunshine problem was taken care of by turning the screen brightness all the way up. What I didn't count on was the sun was hot enough to trigger the automatic shutdown.....iPad just a little less magical. Glad to say the ac is real nice inside, though it really isn't all that hot today.

I had started to opine on the legend of the tight turns here. They really aren't and in fact on this very board someone used satellite imagery to show Churchill is actually tighter. What these turns are are very flat. There's some bank, but not much, and this is the most narrow track I've been at other than the Union County fairgrounds in Maine. (never play trotters but that day I could not lose. Unfortunately there was only about $200 in each pool)

Rookies, Pimlico is an old track in an old neighborhood. It is a bit worn, though I must say they look to have done a lot to spiff it up for this weekend. Not bad at all and I do think the neighborhood is on the improve. People around here are trying, but they have a tough climb. I would say though that you should see it. I say the same thing about Fenway Park. It's worn out pretty bad too, but if you are a baseball fan, you really should see it. There is history on these grounds.

Before last race they had the Budweiser Clydesdales do a lap. They are quite large. They didn't have the dog with them though.

Tried the lone non speed angle in the last with a small bet on the 6. Unfortunately he had no speed at all!

Seems I like the fav in the next....might let that one go. Back in a bit.

joanied
05-15-2010, 02:19 PM
OTMAl...enjoying your blow by blow...thanks:ThmbUp: ...I have HRTV on so I can watch all the races...did the Clydesdales pull the wagon arounf the track? They are such cool horses...several years ago they came to where I live here in Wyoming...we farm here and we grow malt barley for Budweiser...they had (this one time:faint: ) a grower appreciation day at the place where we deliver the malt barley...and I got to 'meet' the big horses up close...they are fantastic animals...

have a wonderful day, and keep us posted:jump:

bisket
05-15-2010, 03:16 PM
well the 8th paid pretty good. unfortunatley i didn't have the two longshots that came in 2nd and 3rd. hopefully someone else did. i didn't like the :3: because he only ran good races on hard winterized tracks.

joanied
05-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Speaking of Maryland.... maybe bisket can reply :) ...are the Apple Fritters in Maryland still the best in the USA?
When we drove from NY down to Florida for the Winter meet, we stocked up on Apple Fritters...I cannot recall where we'd stop...but man, oh, man...YUMYUM!!

Hey...Gomez won with Blame...way cool:cool: he has a nice older horse now...pretty damned impressive run from this colt coming in from a long layoff:ThmbUp:
and he's going to go to the Stephen Foster:jump:

OTM Al
05-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Having a 3G problem right now though managed to tag an open wifi network. Ah the magic is gone.

No luck yet, though I did skip the 8th. Rainbow View looks awful good here.

Air Force did a flyover with an F-22, an F-16, and what I think was a P-51 Mustang. Pretty cool. The parachute jump got cancelled though because of the wind.

Had a pulled pork sandwich a bit ago. Best of racetrack stand food IMO.

Looking around for the bugler.....

OTM Al
05-15-2010, 03:50 PM
Forgot to mention.

Pimlico seems to have some chippy blond on their handicapping show. Before las race she turned into tlg. Oh the tragedy, oh the humanity. At least the picks were probably good.....

bisket
05-15-2010, 04:00 PM
thats trainer howard wolfendale's daughter.

OTM Al
05-15-2010, 04:12 PM
The Woodlawn Vase has been escorted in by the Army. I thought this was nice pageantry until they said the thing was worth about a million bucks and they were taking it to the infield. Do not leave your posts lads, you are in hostile territory.

There are way too many woooooooo girls here today. You know the kind, the ones that are just a little too drunk and scream woooooooooooo a lot. Back in college that may have been considered some sort of ritualistic mating call, but now it just hurts my ears.

All is right with the world. Tlg has just turned back into the blond.

Going with Ravalo in this over the 1 and 9.

Shelby
05-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Imma liking the 11 over the 1,2,9 and then rolling it . *crosses fingers*

joanied
05-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Having a 3G problem right now though managed to tag an open wifi network. Ah the magic is gone.

No luck yet, though I did skip the 8th. Rainbow View looks awful good here.

Air Force did a flyover with an F-22, an F-16, and what I think was a P-51 Mustang. Pretty cool. The parachute jump got cancelled though because of the wind.

Had a pulled pork sandwich a bit ago. Best of racetrack stand food IMO.

Looking around for the bugler.....

:ThmbUp: I was rooting for Rainbow ...great stretch run & Julien ride!!

OHWOW...that fly over must have been sooooo coooool...I just love that stuff...maybe NBC will show it...they'll be taking over soon from HRTV...
do they have any Apple Fritters there?

Say, OTMAl...if you're still around cj's dad...please tell him Joanied says "hey"...he is a so very nice person:)

OTM Al
05-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Planes have been flying over all day with banners. We are now being informed by one that there is free admission to Larry Flynt's Hustler Club with Preakness ticket stub. Evidently said establishment was also advertising earlier to come there to see Tiger's 11th hole.....and you guys thought "get your Preak on" was a little too Randy.

joanied
05-15-2010, 04:57 PM
NBC now...I ain't coming back here til after the Preakness...some of you are ahead of me time wise...

but after the fantastic opening story on Calvin & Pletcher...I hope they win the Triple Crown...if they do...I see another race movie in the making...what a fabulous story!
Go Calvin, GO:jump:

OTM Al
05-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Ouch. Had the four over eight in the exacta and over eight and nine in the tri. That would have paid nice. Thought the four was going by for a second there. Racing is a trying thing......

And now the long wait begins.....

Shelby
05-15-2010, 05:23 PM
Remind me never to post my picks here again lol

bisket
05-15-2010, 05:42 PM
i lost money on strike a deal on several occassions, and it was tough to pass him over. you always know he's capable of beating horses like these, but he's very unpredictable. tough beat al

OTM Al
05-15-2010, 06:09 PM
The buzz is building. I lost connectivity again for a while there but thankfully all better now. Once again I have ignored God telling me not to make those bets.....

For the record I can't get around the two faces on top. Have Yawanna, Schoolyard, and Jackson underneath in tris and the first two under on an exacta.

They are coming out now. Should pass within about twenty feet.

Oh Christmas Tree singing in the background to a smattering of applause.

They are doing the turn right in front of me. All look good, but the one does have the old butt sweats.

Going to watch a race now!

Rookies
05-15-2010, 06:15 PM
Had a tip ( many hands via the owner) that a horse in the 9th at WO was ready to go.

Like all tips from good friends, I... went in with both hands. :lol:

It was a great one and nothing showed as the horse went off at 30-1! Then, the bad news: Bodychecked at the start by the chalk ( Maidens) and roars up from last to finish 4th. by less than a length. :bang:

But, the 9 who did the bodychecking gets DQed and the tip is moved up to 3rd. and pasys $16. I had 30 across so that was ok.

Sad though, as I've got Exs with the moved up winner 4 and Tris with th same 2 and the horse that finsihes second. THAT Tri paid $1100. I'm sure with the flip it would ave paid close to 4k... :bang: :bang:

A h well, let's get some Boxcars here Al !
I've got Exs with the 4 who

OTM Al
05-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Not too loud here. Polite applause. Not as quiet as it went at Belmont when Big Brown stopped.

Garcia just rode by. His smile is brighter than the afternoon sun. Good call by the connections.

Last call for black eyed susans, but not for me. Back later.

OTM Al
05-15-2010, 06:46 PM
The trophies are being awarded and the weather vane painted. A lone groom just walked by leading a horse that was well in need of a bath. He was almost close enough for the crowd to touch, but few even gave him a second look as they stared at tote boards looking at what they could have won if....But for a bad post draw in Kentucky, maybe they would have seen him go by and recognized a chance at history in the making, looking for any clue if there was enough strength left in his body to run farther than he ever would again. Instead a tired horse is going home to have a bath and a well deserved dinner.

OTM Al
05-15-2010, 06:48 PM
Hey, I think I like the ten in the last race!

OTM Al
05-15-2010, 08:06 PM
Live from the scene of the post-Preakness party. Food is mostly gone and can't get near the bar. Pretty much the whole horseworl here. Trainers holding court, management talking to management, Gary Stevens even slipping through the crowd. Turns out we didn't even need the bugler to get in, though we did find him. Can't say we're staying long. Pretty much tracked out but do feel a little better after hitting the last race even though the odds drpped to a sterling 5-2...,beats losing I guess.

JPinMaryland
05-15-2010, 08:21 PM
That was a fun read. I think outsiders would think this is totally boring, but I liked it. :ThmbUp:

Rookies
05-15-2010, 09:59 PM
Nope, it was very good. Great idea for the Spa...:ThmbUp:

cj's dad
05-15-2010, 11:48 PM
For those of you who have never met OTMAl, he is one very nice, laid back guy. He had a few nice hits on Friday which kept him on top for the day and he even bought me a beer.

I think that moving around Pimlico, he found it not as bad a place as some on this site would have you believe. Of course some here would criticize racing if it were held at the Taj Mahal.

Al talked of going to Tio Pepe's restaurant in downtown Baltimore. It is a fine dining experience. If any here visit B'more, it is highly recommended.

The crowd at Pimlico friday was not so bad. As Al said the Bk. Eyed Susan drinks ( I had one saturday) are pretty good, and he's right.

I've been to Belmont and Saratoga and now Pimlico with Al and he keeps mentioning a WIFE. I have yet to meet her so I'm starting to get a little suspicious.... if you know what I mean. He did talk about some bar he's ben hanging out in downtown Manhattan with some gay guys.... not there's anythiing wrong with that !!!

WinterTriangle
05-15-2010, 11:54 PM
Of course some here would criticize racing if it were held at the Taj Mahal.

Especially if it was the Taj Mahal. That would make it euro racing. ;)

BLUE CRABS.

Thats all I thought about during the whole Preakness card.

Whats the best place for those?????????????

Greyfox
05-15-2010, 11:56 PM
:ThmbUp: Good thread. Good post cj'sdad.
(But I don't want to go to the bar mentioned later. :lol: )

cj's dad
05-16-2010, 12:51 AM
Especially if it was the Taj Mahal. That would make it euro racing. ;)

BLUE CRABS.

Thats all I thought about during the whole Preakness card.

Whats the best place for those?????????????

Jimmy's on Holabird Ave.
Costa's on North Point Blvd.
Seaside on Crain Hwy.

all within 30 minutes of downtown B'more

and honestly there are many more - it is our specialty though some have managed to screw it up...

OTM Al
05-16-2010, 08:16 AM
I've been to Belmont and Saratoga and now Pimlico with Al and he keeps mentioning a WIFE. I have yet to meet her so I'm starting to get a little suspicious.... if you know what I mean. He did talk about some bar he's ben hanging out in downtown Manhattan with some gay guys.... not there's anythiing wrong with that !!!

You've never met her? I guess I'd just assumed you had at Saratoga. Well we'll rectify that this summer. And yes, I do hang out in the Village with some gay guys. I work at New York University, so about half of the guys that work there are. Good place we go to once in a while called Julius' over near 7th Ave. Old school looking corner bar with the oak and brass and back wall covered with black and white 8x10s of legendary sports figures including most of the TC winners. Has a grill right there in the bar and they make some of the best burgers I've ever had. Kicker is that the beers are only three bucks and that's just recently up from two fifty. More often than not in the summer they've got a ball game on tv, so I'm good there.

Still Preakness weekend though. Heading to the ball park this afternoon and tomorrow on the way home we'll have another report from the track, but this time from Delaware Park. Talk again soon.

joanied
05-16-2010, 10:15 AM
OTMAl....:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: great job...a good fun thread. Thanks for the blow by blow...and look forward to your blog when the Spa runs.

And, once again...no TC...the guys at Belmont must have gotten an instant headache...well, maybe the crowds will show up for the Belmont anyway!!

Rookies
05-16-2010, 12:23 PM
Following CJs Dad's lead...

You've never met her? I guess I'd just assumed you had at Saratoga. Well we'll rectify that this summer.

Translation: BEARD :lol:

And yes, I do hang out in the Village with some gay guys. I work at New York University, so about half of the guys that work there are.

Translation: CONFIRMATION :ThmbUp: :)

Hope to see you this summer at the Spa Al. Again, very good job here...

OTM Al
05-16-2010, 12:55 PM
You guys thought I was done just because the race is over? Oh, no not the case at all. Sitting in left field side seats at Camden Yards right now. Had to pay for the tickets but the Orioles kinda stink and the Indians stink worse, so they were cheap. Nice place. Wanted to come here for a long time and finally made it. Got duped into parking a little too far away, so guess I am a tourist.

Wish I was hungry because Boog's BBQ smells better than I imagined possible.

I would also like to thank the Maryland Jockey Club for leaving open a live wifi signal inside Pimlico. Would never been able to make some of my posts yesterday without them.

Now let's play ball!

OTM Al
05-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Game rolling along quickly. Already through five, Indians up 3-0. Quite entertaining really. Before the game the mascot set up little rubber bases and had a wiffle ball and bat and proceeded to pitch to little kids. He would always play some trick on them when they were running to second. Child torture is quality entertainment.

Then they had some American Idol reject sing the anthem. He didn't butcher it too bad, though there seems to be some odd tradition here in Baltimore that when the line "...flag was still there" they all point and say 'there' which I guess it once was!

cj's dad
05-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Missed the line Al, when the "Star Bangled Banner" hits "O" say does that star spangled banner yet wave"

the fans YELL "O" which is annoying to everyone that is not an O's fan

If fans are pointing and saying "there" that is a new "tradition" which I am not aware of.

cj's dad
05-16-2010, 06:32 PM
BTW Al,
I forgot to mention re: Del Park,

Use valet parking and you will go in thru the main entrance.

Take the escalator and go to the second floor. There is a nice bar there and you can go to the overhanging balconies and view the saddling rings from there. Very nice view of the paddock and you can also walk outside and watch the race. Del. Park is very fan friendly and the tellers are very
accommodating and know what they are doing - still, as always, check your tix. have fun and get back and let us know how your day went.

OTM Al
05-16-2010, 08:34 PM
Rookies, the wife is Irish like you, so now you must realize that you are in danger of a serious beat down from that comment. However, you likely also realize that if you bring her a beer, she just might forgive you! See you at Saratoga!

Cj's dad, maybe that was it then. The singer was going on and on and I was a bit surprised by it. Must say what I thought they said was more clever and civically minded though.

We are most definitely going to Delaware Park tomorrow. Staying at the Christiana Hilton. This place is really nice. Their restaurant was outstanding. Excellent beef. Had a nice prime rib. There is a special rate here if you tell them you are going to the track that is half normal price, so even with the dinner splurge we are below that level. They also threw in free valet parking passes. Know it probably isn't worth a lot, but still nice. Besides, since she got cut off, a part of your bill is no longer going for Paris' botox treatments. Time to read a little Ovid and get some sleep.

OTM Al
05-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Now joining you from the Terrace at Delaware Park. Card is standard weekday fare, full of claimers, and a big departure from the weekend's races. Claimers are not my forte, but barring scratches, I may have a couple decent picks.

We came in early just to check out the place. They blend the slot area well with the racing area. The whole slots thing just melts the mind though. They seem to go on and on. At least they aren't loud like in Vegas. Not sure, but someone more knowledgable may know if these machines are VLTs or actual slots.

Speaking of slots, I don't want to hear it from the people arguing about takeout that slots are a better deal than the races in terms of take. Kathy and I played a contest on how long it would take to go bust, each on a twenty, in the quarter slots machine, with the deal if one could just double the twenty, we would quit. Neither of us ever got above the initial level, and I won, tapping out in less than ten minutes. Would have had a much better chance on an odds on favorite. One spin of the slots does not equal one bet on the track. The spiny wheels will suck you dry and leave your eyes bleeding. Needless to say the wheelchair crowd was already well represented when we got there. And the ATMs spit hundreds here too.....

The paddock here is beautiful. All outdoor amongst the trees and flowers with old brass lampposts surrounding. The majority of the racing offices are in an old house next to the paddock and there is a nice picnic area right there too. Kathy gave the glad hand and said the staff couldn't be nicer.

Well, about to give scratches, so let's see if we can get a little racing luck today.

PaceAdvantage
05-18-2010, 05:03 AM
Missed the line Al, when the "Star Bangled Banner" hits "O" say does that star spangled banner yet wave"

the fans YELL "O" which is annoying to everyone that is not an O's fanactually, it scared the shit out of me my first and only time at an O's game a few years back...closing day of the season...when the Yankees were in town (who else?)

Total silence from the crowd during the anthem, until that point when everyone (except me it seemed) screams "O" at the top of their lungs...yeah...I jumped... :lol:

slewis
05-18-2010, 09:39 AM
Al.....this was a really great blog.....GREAT JOB.

Glad we ran into each other...twice...and thanks for the dibs on the attire..lol.

What you failed to tell everyone is that along with the jacket and CK shirt was a pair of old jeans....lol...so I wasn't winning any fashion contests.
(Heck after wearing a suit and tie every day to Manhattan for 20yrs, not Derby nor Preakenss is gettin' one back on me..lol)

Crowd was bearable....not nearly as bad as when I went for Spectacular Bid's Preakenss win.

Owners tents on the infield were spaced out nicely..lots of room...but the food was COLD.. and for $475 per person was NOT worth it...(Even though it was open bar).

Best part of the cuisine..... Cold Stone Creamery set up... all the Ice Cream you can eat complete with a choice of all their toppings mixed for you on cold slate...must of made 3 trips!!! (gained at least 4 lbs)
Anyway...off to do some sit-ups..

Tom
05-18-2010, 11:31 AM
Jimmy's on Holabird Ave.
Costa's on North Point Blvd.
Seaside on Crain Hwy.

all within 30 minutes of downtown B'more

and honestly there are many more - it is our specialty though some have managed to screw it up...

Jimmy's....mmm mmm mmm.
Just down the street, Tastey Cakes, Chocolate Juniors for desert! Woo Hoo.

I gotta say, I LOVE Baltimore. One of my favorite places to visit.

BillW
05-18-2010, 11:44 AM
actually, it scared the shit out of me my first and only time at an O's game a few years back...closing day of the season...when the Yankees were in town (who else?)

Total silence from the crowd during the anthem, until that point when everyone (except me it seemed) screams "O" at the top of their lungs...yeah...I jumped... :lol:

Hmmm, the night I was there the crowd was sparse - I guess I didn't notice :blush:

joanied
05-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Jimmy's....mmm mmm mmm.
Just down the street, Tastey Cakes, Chocolate Juniors for desert! Woo Hoo.

I gotta say, I LOVE Baltimore. One of my favorite places to visit.

What about Apple Fritters? When we used to drive through Maryland from NY to Florida, we always stocked up on Apple Fritters... talk about yummy...I have not had an AF as good since those days.
Now I want some :jump:

OTM Al
05-18-2010, 06:35 PM
I once heard all good stories must have an end, so I put together something over the last few days. It's not Grantland Rice, but hopefully it's no dark and stormy night either. I'll be at the Belmont for both days so maybe I'll do it again, though I'm sure I'll be put to work as well.

OTM Al
05-18-2010, 06:38 PM
The morning dawned bright and clear. The sun had burned off the fog and clouds and the breezes had blown away the humid air of the day before. It seemed as if God himself had intervened, granting a perfect day to herald the coming of a new champion.

In the ancient world Poseidon, god of the waters, was also was the god of horses. One seems to have little to do with the other until one considers the impression a herd of horses roaring across the plains of central Asia must have had on early man when he first witnessed it. The fact that Poseidon was also god of the earthquake makes sense in this context too, as those ancient herds must have made it feel as if the earth was moving as they passed by.

The crowd arrived slowly, but steadily. Players mixed with partiers in numbers only seen once each year on the old hilltop. Hats with bright summer dresses and cold drinks were the order of the day. Prime spots were quickly snatched up in the grandstand as evidenced by the time honored tradition of programs left placed on each seat.

The excitement and pageantry built throughout the day as race after race sped around the Pimlico oval. Army sergeants, white gloved in full dress uniform, escorted the Woodlawn vase into the infield, faces fixed in concentration as if they were made of stone, not unlike the jockey of the favorite would be as he rode in the post parade a few hours later. Air Force fighters representing the new and the old, a reflection of the crowd itself, passed low over the track. A Navy chorus sang the state song to the same melody as another song of a far different season. And then there was the lone bugle call, a call that once summoned all the buglers to wake so they in turn could play another familiar call to summon the troops to rise and greet the dawning of other days.

In a long file the competitors paraded down the length of the grandstand, the riders sitting straight in the saddle, deep in concentration on the task to come. Individuals in the crowd called out encouragement and luck to their favorites as the excitement built in a crescendo of sound. And then they were away at a quick trot, warming limbs for the hard run to come.

The Pimlico track is very narrow, which limits the number of starters to only fourteen. Even with only twelve starters, the line across the track as they entered the gate seemed too tight, a feeling confirmed as the outside horse bolted to the side when the gates opened, causing an outrider pony to scamper to get out of the way. His race was all but over even before it began but near disaster was averted.

The pack of men and horses raced the swell of sound down the grandstand. As they extended into the clubhouse turn, they were not accompanied by the roar and rattle of the earthquake, but rather they seemed to glide by, almost soundless, and then they were past, eleven racing against the others and one chasing ghosts.

Too fast. Too fast. Dreams had been pinned on Kentucky's champion, but he had reverted back to old tricks and was running after a leader who would cause him to tire well before the tallest pole could be passed for a second time. In a flash he is enveloped by a wave of color and mane. Victor, now vanquished. The Cajun could bring himself east, but his magic rail remained in the shadow of the twin spires.

The smallest member of the field was showing that he may have the biggest heart as he once again was duking it out with the leaders. But it takes more than heart to win, it takes four sound legs and muscles and sinews built of supple iron. And it takes luck.

It was luck that took the day. The colt named for it finally was not plagued by it as he found clear running at last to sweep around the front runners and take what maybe should have been his two weeks before. Not a decisive victory, but a nose is just as good as 31 lengths.

There was no roar, no rumble heard or felt from the crowd or the ancient god of the horse. Polite applause from most with a few scattered whoops from those going home with a little more money in their pockets than they started with was all that greeted the returning riders. Though there was some joy, the exaltation the crowd wanted was absent. The competitors would each go their own way, in much the way they straggled back, one by one, with the race run. Today's prizes were won, but the great jewel would once again remain unclaimed. At last the victorious partnership returned, and though the cheers were muted, the rider's smile shone more brightly than the sun now sinking behind the old grandstand.

A blanket of painted flowers was thrown across the victor, his laurels. Left to his own devices, he likely would have taken more pleasure eating it than wearing it. His human counterparts rushed to the winner's circle to receive the silver prize. A basket rose in the air holding a man armed with brush and paint so that the old weather vane might bear witness for the next long year to what happened today. Words were spoken, hands were shook.

A lone groom walked past the crowd, leading a horse well in need of a bath. He was almost close enough for the crowd to touch, but few even gave him a second look as they stared at tote boards, looking at what they could have won if....But for a bad post draw in Kentucky, maybe they would have seen him go by and recognized a chance at history in the making, looking for any clue if there was enough strength left in his body to run farther than he ever would again. Instead a tired horse headed home to have his bath and a well deserved dinner.

The crowds began to shuffle off. The diehards cheered on a small field making one last turn around the oval. A party had begun in the backstretch. A joyous owner appeared carrying the flowers that so briefly had adorned his colt. He paused for pictures. A few petals fluttered to ground like sparks from the dying sun. A boy stooped to pick one up, a memory stored away safe in his pocket. As with all flowers, and memories, it will fade, assuredly quicker than the smile on the face of the little jockey from California.

joanied
05-18-2010, 09:26 PM
OTMAl....:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: Fantastic ending of your Preakness Blog...Bill Nack would be proud:) ...hope you'll do the same at Belmont...this was a ton of fun :jump:

Shelby
05-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Excellent write-up! Thank you so much for sharing. You made me feel like I was there!

Cat Thief
05-19-2010, 04:17 PM
I don't think it could have been written any better by anyone. Great story. Wish for more.

bisket
05-19-2010, 09:54 PM
good job al :ThmbUp:

ShenanigansGirl
05-28-2010, 05:42 PM
I am prompted, for the first time ever, to respond to the board. Well done, Otmal. The WIFE. :)

BillW
05-28-2010, 06:43 PM
I am prompted, for the first time ever, to respond to the board. Well done, Otmal. The WIFE. :)

I hope you're getting at least a fifty for that! :lol:

joanied
05-28-2010, 07:06 PM

hello to 'The WIFE' :) ....your other half is very talented, everyone really enjoyed his blog :jump: