PDA

View Full Version : DISH NETWORK VS CABLE

GARY Z
05-13-2010, 05:16 PM
I finally convinced my wife to allow us to switch from cablevision despite her lovefor the Yankees . Dish does not carry the YES station.

My objective was to get HRTV and a better feed which IS the case
with Dish(except for bad weather), but I have experienced identical problems
with Cable , so I'm not concerned about this "bump"

HRTV Commentators are well informed, clear, and best yet aren't offering the insane chatter of pick3/4/6/ supers as the case with TVG.

Best yet is I get the BEL feed, all KY, Fla, Ca etc in addition to
TVG if I decide to view a non televised track on HRTV.
I know HRTV is available on the web, but I had issues with stalled
feeds etc..

As an FYI , Cablevision charges and add'l 5.00 per month for TVG,
which is not the case with Dish .

Anyone able to live without the Yankess on the YES station
(they also are on local stations at various points) might want
to consider this change of life.

:jump: :jump: :jump:

Not

slew101
05-13-2010, 05:22 PM
If she really wants the Yankees and you want your horses, you could add MLB Extra Innings, which would give you all the Yankees games. I'm pretty sure it's available on Dish, and it's not that expensive in the big picture.

Directv has exclusive rights to NFL Sunday Ticket, but the other leagues game packages are avialble from cable and Dish.

I actually tried to get Dish simply for HRTV, but they couldn't make it work in my yard with the trees. Yet, Directv works with the same setup. Turns out, it was good, because twinspires.com came along and I got all the racing from Gulfstream and Santa Anita that I wanted.

slew101
05-13-2010, 05:27 PM
I'm wrong, Dish recently dropped MLB Extra Innings. The package is available for $19.99 per month on your computer.

GameTheory
05-13-2010, 05:28 PM
You can also get the MLB internet package and watch games on-line. The quality is quite high, and can be streamed to your TV with a newer computer or a Roku box (google it).

JimG
05-13-2010, 06:09 PM
The quality is quite high, and can be streamed to your TV with a newer computer or a Roku box (google it).

I watch baseball on the roku and it is real nice. I wish they would develop a roku app for hrtv now that they stream online.

I ditched cable and use antenna only and use the roku for netflix and a couple of shows on Amazon on demand.

Jim

delayjf
05-13-2010, 06:14 PM
You can get HRTV and TVG with Fios - I wish it was available where I live.

Lasix67
05-13-2010, 06:17 PM
I have a AITech component that I connect between my computer and Tv and it has a great picture. I use it with TwinspiresTV and the picture is as good as TVG and HRTV, which I have both of with Dish and I wouldn't change a thing.

Dave Schwartz
05-13-2010, 07:29 PM
Here is the service we have had up until now:

1. Television: Charter Cable - Cost $176 per month
Just about every channel imaginable. The just added HRTV.
Multiple DVRs

2. Internet: Integra T1 - cost: $650 per month
1.5mb up and down
Almost dead-on, perfect service for 8 years.
Total down time in 8 years: 4 outages, only one longer that 15 minutes.

3. Telephone: Integra - cost: included with #2 above
About $125 additional for long distance charges.
6 lines.

4. Horse Racing: Race Track Network - cost: $100
40 channels of horse racing. No HD, but great service.
Includes HRTV.

YouBet video only - $25 per month.

Here is what we are in the process of installing right now:

1. AT&T Uverse for #1, #2 #3 - cost: $203
TV: Almost the same package we had at Charter but only 3 TVs. Includes "Red Zone."
Internet: 30mb down, 3mb up. 5 static IPs (1 block).
Phones: 2 lines. Unlimited long distance.

We will continue with RTN. That is just a fantastic service.

We dumped YouBet.

$1,076 Total cost before
303 Total cost after (up $60 after 1 year)

$ 773 Total savings

Most important: Every race track I can possibly handle.

Lasix67
05-13-2010, 07:59 PM

Multiple DVRs

1.5mb up and down

6 lines.

Includes HRTV.

TV: Almost the same package we had at Charter but only 3 TVs. Includes "Red Zone."

We dumped YouBet.

$1,076 Total cost before

$ 773 Total savings

I had RTN for a year and loved it. The only reason I dropped it is because I use it at home only and I could get the same tracks with the AITech from my computer to TV and it was free as opposed to the $99 a month. Now Dish was suppose to pick up the RTN feed about 9 months ago, but it has been delayed for several months and I don't know if it will ever happen now even though the people at RTN said it will eventually and if so it will only cost about $40 a month.

The Hawk
05-13-2010, 09:05 PM
You may also be able to watch Yankee games somehow through Yesnetwork.com. I remember seeing ads during the games, but I'm not sure of the details (I zone out every time Kay forms more than one sentence).

thespaah
05-13-2010, 10:34 PM
If she really wants the Yankees and you want your horses, you could add MLB Extra Innings, which would give you all the Yankees games. I'm pretty sure it's available on Dish, and it's not that expensive in the big picture.

Directv has exclusive rights to NFL Sunday Ticket, but the other leagues game packages are avialble from cable and Dish.

I actually tried to get Dish simply for HRTV, but they couldn't make it work in my yard with the trees. Yet, Directv works with the same setup. Turns out, it was good, because twinspires.com came along and I got all the racing from Gulfstream and Santa Anita that I wanted.It wouldn't matter if Dish had MLB EI . The OP lives in the NYY territory and thus all Yanks games on EI would be blacked out.
The best course of action would be to have Directv to one tv in the home and subscribe to MLB EI then place the Directv system on "pause" ($5 per month) until the next MLB season.

JustRalph
05-14-2010, 01:04 AM
You can get HRTV and TVG with Fios - I wish it was available where I live.

FIOS. Has a great picture
The Internet is great

The DVR and controller box is a piece of shit

Dave Schwartz
05-14-2010, 01:09 AM
RTN said it will eventually and if so it will only cost about $40 a month.

Supposedly, that deal is dead.

GARY Z
05-14-2010, 04:24 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, especially about the Yankess on the net!

Dave , at this point you are my idol, but if I ever followed your lead
I'd undoubtedly go bankrupt betting horses 24/7 :)

Best,

Gary

CBedo
05-14-2010, 02:42 PM
Supposedly, that deal is dead.I emailed RTN yesterday actually, and their company line is "last we heard is early July, but nothing is confirmed."

Dave Schwartz
05-14-2010, 02:54 PM
I spoke to someone at DishNet a couple of months ago and they said there was an issue with space on th satellites and that there was no allocation showing in th next 6-12 months.

CBedo
05-14-2010, 03:38 PM
I spoke to someone at DishNet a couple of months ago and they said there was an issue with space on th satellites and that there was no allocation showing in th next 6-12 months.I know the consumer piece isn't probably a big piece of the business, but they are costing themselves money. I, for one, have been trying to give them money for sometime now.

Dave, do you have more than one receiver, or just switch channels back and forth?

senortout
05-14-2010, 04:44 PM

Multiple DVRs

1.5mb up and down

6 lines.

Includes HRTV.

We dumped YouBet.

$1,076 Total cost before

$ 773 Total savings

Dave, wow, that T1 line.....holy cow I get by just fine with premium att&t dsl service at 45.00/month and I stream videos from Twinspires nice as pie using that. Of course, I realize you are trying to run a business but ok, good that you are making some changes costwise. Incidentally, I cannot reach your web site as we speak....something amiss during the changeover no doubt.

senortout .....Dave pm me with your skype info, I seem to have lost that!

Dave Schwartz
05-14-2010, 05:43 PM
Well, we have good news and bad news.

First, the good news... We got the internet installed. It took hours because the installer only knew how to do a wireless connection and we needed a static connection. Ultimately, my tech guy and the installer's tech guy figured it out.

We're still working on changing addresses, but the primary website/BBS should be up soon.

Now the bad news. Seems when they say, "Fiber Optics" they don't mean everything is fiber optic. They mean there is fiber optic to the nearest central office. Since the nearest C.O. to me is over 3,000 feet away I cannot get all the bandwidth they promised me. Apparently not enough to support my internet needs, 4 HD television channels and telephone lines.

So, we've got internet. 25mb down and 2.5mb up.

Tuesday we get conventional phones. (A better deal for us, really.)

We keep our cable TV but have shrunk the package down by $100.

For today, I am happy. I'll be happier on Tuesday.

spiketoo
05-16-2010, 09:31 AM

First, the good news... We got the internet installed. It took hours because the installer only knew how to do a wireless connection and we needed a static connection. Ultimately, my tech guy and the installer's tech guy figured it out.

Kinda scary - the guy couldn't config an ethernet from the wall to you router.

garyoz
05-16-2010, 10:26 AM
We have DirecTV, just think it is a better service than DISH (plus the NFL, MLB, and Setanta (now Fox Soccer) for Premier League Football). Better HDTV service IMHO.

Don't have HRTV--but I have gotten used to the track feeds from Twinspires. Great except for weekend afternoons. Used to have a DISH subscription (base of $360 a year I think) just for HRTV. Still have both dishes (DirecTV and DISH) on the house. I find the banter on both TVG and HRTV a major distraction. I usually have the TVG audio on only for the races.

Used to have RTN, but don't play enough to justify it. This was 8 years ago, and had terrible problems with signal interruption, plus a large dish. They probably fixed that now.

Get internet through the Cable Company. Had them out for a service call and they replaced the line from the utility pole to our house. He said there was squirrel damage. Downstream speed went to north of 8mb from 2mb. Upstream still sucks at <1mb.

Has anyone used Slingbox??? I'm thinking of getting one so that I can watch the TV from laptap PCs via my router. More for watching sports on my pc than racing. Reviews of Slingbox-HD seem really good.

andicap
05-16-2010, 11:16 AM
Dave,
was that AT&T deal a temporary promotional offer or the long-term price?

I've priced U-verse before and it didn't seem like a great savings compared to cable.

delayjf
05-16-2010, 11:53 AM
I have a AITech component that I connect between my computer and Tv and it has a great picture

Would this be cheaper than a 1080p monitor?

thespaah
05-16-2010, 12:03 PM

We're still working on changing addresses, but the primary website/BBS should be up soon.

Now the bad news. Seems when they say, "Fiber Optics" they don't mean everything is fiber optic. They mean there is fiber optic to the nearest central office. Since the nearest C.O. to me is over 3,000 feet away I cannot get all the bandwidth they promised me. Apparently not enough to support my internet needs, 4 HD television channels and telephone lines.

So, we've got internet. 25mb down and 2.5mb up.

Tuesday we get conventional phones. (A better deal for us, really.)

We keep our cable TV but have shrunk the package down by $100.

For today, I am happy. I'll be happier on Tuesday.
25 down ,2.5 up isn't bad. Welcome to the difference between "fiber to node" (what UVerse is) and "Fiber to home" which is FiOS' delivery system.
When you get down to brass tacks, UVerse is still much faster than even the fastest Cable Co delivered internet.

RE:RTN..On occasion I check a site which allows me to get news on the latest Dish Network satellite uplinks...here's the site....http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-uplink-center/..
if you wish to post questions, register(free)....
I check this to see if there is any forward movement on the RTN issue.

Lasix67
05-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Would this be cheaper than a 1080p monitor?
If I remember the component cost about $75 and I run it to a Sony 25" SD Tv that I have below my Vizio HDTV that is hung from the wall outside on my back porch. It works great and you can google it to get more info., but have to say I love mine.

Dave Schwartz
05-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Update: I am currently seeing .5mb up... not enough. I will have them change that or find a new provider.

GameTheory
05-16-2010, 01:37 PM
Get internet through the Cable Company. Had them out for a service call and they replaced the line from the utility pole to our house. He said there was squirrel damage. Downstream speed went to north of 8mb from 2mb. Upstream still sucks at <1mb.

Has anyone used Slingbox??? I'm thinking of getting one so that I can watch the TV from laptap PCs via my router. More for watching sports on my pc than racing. Reviews of Slingbox-HD seem really good.You will need much better upstream to enjoy the slingbox...

Millpond68
05-16-2010, 05:18 PM
Went to Walmart to find a 15 prong RGB adapter and they said they did not carry them. So I went to Radio Shack and got one for about $25. Connected it and it works well. I went back to Walmart a week later and was looking for something else and noticed they had the adapter and it was only $15. Oh Well

delayjf
05-17-2010, 08:10 PM
Can someone tell me, given all the tracks one can get from twinspires for free, what would be the advantage of paying for the Race track network?

BillW
05-17-2010, 08:43 PM
Can someone tell me, given all the tracks one can get from twinspires for free, what would be the advantage of paying for the Race track network?

They are only "free" if you play tracks not available to you for rebate to build credit for the "free" video. ;) Of course, depending on your TV viewing habits, TVG and HRTV could cost money too.

GARY Z
05-17-2010, 09:53 PM
I'm on a high speed cable service, have a desktop with all
and whistles. but for some insane reason, when watching
twinspires, my screen would freeze during the critical parts
of the race(1st 2 fg, rounding the final turn, stretch drive).

Drove me nuts, and now , as stated before, I'm in simulcast heaven.

That said, I now have the ability to pick and choose races
from both TVG and HRTV which actually has helped my ROI

thespaah
05-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Update: I am currently seeing .5mb up... not enough. I will have them change that or find a new provider.Yep. If you are uploading anything of consequence 500 kbps is too slow.
To check your speed whenever you want, use www.speakeasy.org (http://www.speakeasy.org)

jimmy m
05-18-2010, 03:27 PM
I had Dish Network from 01-04 then switched to Direct tv for the Football package Baseball Yes Network for Mike and the Mad Dog.Then Mike and the Mad dog broke up the football package was too expensive and i missed watching Gulf and Oaklawn on TV.Went back to Dish i like it better.the only thing is i miss the baseball package but i have xm im the only one i think that likes baseball over the radio i can sit in the backyard and listen for hours plus i discovered the NFL RED ZONE.After you watch the NFL red zone channlel you will not be able to watch a football game again No commercials they switch to games when they move inside the 30 yard line it is awsome.

Dave Schwartz
05-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Update: They raised the cap on my upload and I am now getting 1.45. However, I have it in writing that I will get a minimum of 2.2mb.

The guy is here installing my analog phones. He appears to be totally inept.

Thus far he has taken my internet down twice. He appears to be trying to install a VOIP phone even though the order calls for analog.

This is why I kept paying the big bucks... qualified people.

Dave Schwartz
05-18-2010, 08:19 PM
This was a true debacle today.

The technician was the worst I have ever seen at anything. Eventually another guy came to help. He was awesome!

I am not kidding when I say that the guy looked like he might go postal without warning. I actually sent my wife away from the house for the day. (No joke.)

Eventually, around 4pm, he started to berate me because I would not allow him to move my telephone base station to a jack on the other side of the room. At 4:15 he told the other guy, "I've had enough," and walked out for the day. The other finished about 20 minutes later.

Dave

PaceAdvantage
05-19-2010, 04:02 AM
Dave, just ran a test at speedtest.net for my speed here at home (Optimum Boost service, which comes in around $55/mo if I'm not mistaken) :

http://www.speedtest.net/result/819254318.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

dlgreg
05-19-2010, 06:00 AM
Same test for Comcast Chicago:

thespaah
05-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Dave, just ran a test at speedtest.net for my speed here at home (Optimum Boost service, which comes in around $55/mo if I'm not mistaken) :

http://www.speedtest.net/result/819254318.png (http://www.speedtest.net)That's fast!!!!
I wish i could get that. But there is no such service in my area. Even TW's Roadrunner Business Class tops out at 12 down and 1.5 up.
And that's like $70 per month.

Dave Schwartz
05-19-2010, 09:44 PM
You guys are killing me!

I'm getting 16 down and 1.4 up.

PaceAdvantage
05-20-2010, 07:23 PM
For another $55/mo (roughly $100/mo total) you can get:

101Mbps down and 15Mbps up...

Dave Schwartz
05-20-2010, 08:19 PM
PA,

Not at my house.

InsideThePylons-MW
05-20-2010, 09:32 PM
29.33 download

3.49 upload

$29.99 a month

GameTheory
05-20-2010, 09:40 PM
Test results from Comcast and others are highly exaggerated because they have the "powerboost" feature where a large file will START fast, but then the speed will be severely throttled after a few seconds. So it does not so your true streaming speeds.