PDA

View Full Version : Triple Crown

OFFandRUNNING10
05-12-2010, 11:08 PM
I am sure this topic has come up before in years past... but I was wondering what peoples opinions are this year on Super Saver winning the Triple Crown. Are you cheering for him? Are you routing against him? Do you care either way?

In my personal opinion, I really want the next Triple Crown winner to be a horse that I really feel deserves and earns it. Others may feel differently on this topic. Some may agree... while some may just want to see another Triple Crown winner as soon as possible no matter who it might be. I am by no means against a Triple Crown winner. However, I really want it to be a "super horse".

I was routing against Big Brown two years ago going into the Belmont. I felt he was a good horse but really just felll into a good year to be in the running for the Triple Crown. I felt the competion was lacking overall at the time... now looking back I still feel that way.

This year I look at Super Saver and at this time, I still have a bit of a similar feeling. The competition overal seems to be lacking. The majority of the horses are rather questionable. Whether it be distance, track surface, ... or whatever other reasons there seems to be pretty questionable issues regarding a majority of horses.

When I look at Super Saver, I really do not think in my mind the next Triple Crown winner after 32 years.

So I am really curious... what are your opinions on the Triple Crown overall. Do you care who wins it next? Are you in favor of Super Saver? Do you think he is really true Triple Crown caliber?

riskman
05-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Supers pedigree points to the facts he has the goods to be a TC winner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Saver_%28horse%29

Super Saver is an American Thoroughbred race horse, best known as the winner of the 2010 Kentucky Derby. His ancestors include damsire A.P. Indy, winner of the 1992 Belmont Stakes, 1957 Preakness Stakes winner Bold Ruler, 1964 Kentucky Derby winner Northern Dancer, and Triple Crown winners Secretariat (1973) and Seattle Slew (1977). He is also descended from superstud Mr. Prospector, whose descendants have won numerous Triple Crown races. His sire Maria's Mon, was also the sire of 2001 Kentucky Derby winner Monarchos, and his dam Supercharger is a full sister to the dam of Bluegrass Cat.

point given
05-12-2010, 11:35 PM
Eskendereya was it for me this year, I don't see SS as the goods for the TC.

OFFandRUNNING10
05-12-2010, 11:48 PM
[QUOTE=riskman]Supers pedigree points to the facts he has the goods to be a TC winner.
QUOTE]

I am not at all questioning if he Can win the Triple Crown. It is more about does he deserve to win it. Is he true Triple Crown caliber. In my opinion his pedigree has nothing to do with this. It is strictly about on race track performances and competition. His pedigree provides him with ability to perform but has no impact on who I think or want should win the Triple Crown. I do not look at a sire or dam of a horse and say "Nope, his dam isnt triple crown caliber. Therefore I do not want this horse to win."

Market Mover
05-13-2010, 01:22 AM
[QUOTE=riskman]Supers pedigree points to the facts he has the goods to be a TC winner.
QUOTE]

I am not at all questioning if he Can win the Triple Crown. It is more about does he deserve to win it. Is he true Triple Crown caliber. In my opinion his pedigree has nothing to do with this. It is strictly about on race track performances and competition. His pedigree provides him with ability to perform but has no impact on who I think or want should win the Triple Crown. I do not look at a sire or dam of a horse and say "Nope, his dam isnt triple crown caliber. Therefore I do not want this horse to win."

Triple Crown winners often distinguish themselves at the head of competition as 2 year olds. There is a level of invincibility, of total domination when it comes to the competition. The TC winners of the 1970s didn't necessarily have to run very fast times (unless your name was Secretariat), but they completely dominated the competition and stood out way before they even competed in the Derby (in Affirmed's case, he and Alydar stood out).

Super Saver has come to the fore of the competition from just this one Derby race. Yes, his time was on a dead slow wet track of 2:04 and change, but he will not win the TC because he is not worthy, no matter what Calvin thinks (remember the guarantee that MTB wins the Belmont?)...

His Preakness challenge will be extremely tough. It will be dry. They will clog the rail (at least GoGo will make sure of it). They will not part the waters for Calvin (and I don't believe Calvin will secure the rail at Pimlico on Saturday). This is an opportunity for horseplayers to get a good win price on some very good contenders because so much sentimental money will be on Super Saver. Remember, Calvin is the king of CD, not the king of tracks other than CD. How Calvin performs at CD has no bearing on how he performs at Pimlico or Belmont. But obviously, the racing novice won't think this. They are just rooting Triple Crown...

Did anyone think Monarchos had a shot at the Crown? Look at his Derby winning time...didn't he look more formidable in the Preakness? (and note how Point Given toyed with the field..)

Super save your money. Think no TC this year. Don't worry, there will be others to come along...

riskman
05-13-2010, 01:26 AM
Do you care who wins it next? Are you in favor of Super Saver? Do you think he is really true Triple Crown caliber?

Super Saver won the Derby. The colt beat the competition offered on that day. A lot of luck is needed to win the Derby with a 20 horse field. The " best" horse does not always win the Derby. Two recent examples are:

2001 Point Given Won Preakness/Belmont 5th Derby (Monarchos) Won Derby

2005 Afleet Alex Won Preakness/Belmont 3rd Derby (Giacomo) Won Derby

If Super Saver wins the Preakness, yes, I will be pulling for him to win the TC, because he beat the competition offered in the first two TC races. You can only deal with what is offered in 2010.

joanied
05-13-2010, 12:38 PM
I mentioned this very thing in one of my posts...somewhere...when a horse finally takes down the crown, I wanted him to be a charismatic horse, and horse with 'it' written all over him...a horse that we have watched since his 2yr old season...until LaL pulled the one hole in the Derby...I thought he was the one. And I am damned disappointed he didn't win the Derby...

Super Saver hasn't had enough time to show us whether or not he is a worthy TC winner...of course now we can read a little of what he was like before the Derby...according to the folks that were at the farm as he grew up, they say he was always in charge, ran ahead of the colts he was pastured with, was easy to deal with, very intelligent, and his connections now say he's a very nice horse to be around, calm, cool and collected and has a nice personality...
I recently saw a head shot photo of him, and my thoughts were that he had a very intelligent look, with a kind eye, and in the photo he held his head like a horse that knows he's a good one.

I thought by this time, just a few days before the great "Preak on" :) I would be feeling a definite positive 'vibe' about him...I am leaning that way...and I think maybe my feelings about Lookin at Lucky are getting in the way...nothing would have made me happier than seeing Baffert & Pegram take down another Derby...and of all the trainers running a horse in this TC series, I would want Baffert to be the one that gets the TC.

Super Saver has all the 'goods' to get it done...a deep look into his pedigree says it all...and he is a good looking individual...but he does lack in 'star power'...so I guess I still can't answer the question...which leaves me feeling sort of on the outs...I just don't know...although one thing I think we can all agree on...having a horse come into the Belmont with a TC on the line will be great for racing, and for Belmont Park...if he wins the Preakness, the wave will continue on for another 3 weeks...but...I would rather have Lucky win the Preakness if the racing Gods don't plan on 2010 being a TC year.

Damned if I do, damned if I don't....that kinda sums it up for me;)

OntheRail
05-15-2010, 03:39 AM
Would it not be something though. Pletcher with that Derby monkey finely off his back. :faint: Takes the Holy Grail in his first swing at it. :jump:

With the way things are in the World.... Super Saver seems fitting for a 2010 Triple Crown Winner. ;)

joanied
05-15-2010, 11:07 AM
I was thinking the same thing...24 tries to get a Derby win...wouldn't it be something if Pletcher takes down the entire crown:eek: :jump: :eek: