PDA

View Full Version : Racing commission to consider race for Arabians at Keeneland.

andymays
05-11-2010, 10:21 AM
http://www.kentucky.com/2010/05/10/1259291/racing-commission-to-consider.html#ixzz0nd7y5MLl

Excerpt:

"We are thrilled to have the ongoing support of our existing racecourse partners such as Newmarket, Ascot, Paris and Moscow, as well as introduce the series at highly prestigious racetracks such as the Curragh and Keeneland," said Taleb Al Muhairi, EEF general secretary, in a release.

The series also is designed to promote Abu Dhabi and the United Arab Emirates as a tourism destination, and so at each race Etihad Airways and the Abu Dhabi Tourism Authority will give away a trip for two to Abu Dhabi.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2010/05/10/1259291/racing-commission-to-consider.html#ixzz0ndAMDZRL

andymays
05-11-2010, 10:22 AM
It's hard not to throw up on this one. :ThmbDown:

The synthetic geeks never stop.

diabolical :ThmbDown:

illinoisbred
05-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Can camels be far behind?

andymays
05-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Can camels be far behind?

Why not? Nothing surprises me anymore. :D

It'll be da bomb! :confused:

OTM Al
05-11-2010, 12:39 PM
Care to explain why you think this would be so awful?

Robert Goren
05-11-2010, 12:48 PM
One race might be OK. My big fear is that tracks who have them will start putting them in them in the middle of the card like what happens with QH races in some mixed meets. JMO

lamboguy
05-11-2010, 12:49 PM
i didn't know the arabians like the pollytrack, but maybe they can get the best arabians to compete there if they throw enough money at them. only problem i see is the people in the arabian game don't really care about purse money. i hope they don't care about racing surfaces either so keeneland can count on the arabians to make up with the problem of filling their fields with thoroughbreds.

46zilzal
05-11-2010, 12:53 PM
IF we do not start breeding back to a new gene pool (thoroughbreds original basis of The Darley Arabian, the Byerly Turf and the Godolphin Barb) and some point the breed will be doomed for lack of variability akin to first cousins marrying and having children.

This is a good thing and a place to start in considering a mix of the blood.

elhelmete
05-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Didn't Bill Veeck have Roman chariot races at Suffolk Downs a while back?

Tom
05-11-2010, 12:56 PM
They have run Arabians at Delaware for years. I saw them - and bet them there a long time ago. A little shocking when they come into the paddock and you don't know they are Arabian.....pretty small. I was thinking they were State Breds.:D

wisconsin
05-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Arlington, early 80's, once had an Arabian race going 1 5/16th miles. No biggie, adds novelty. Run a full field of these instead of 5 or 6 running for Optional Claiming.

Remeber, no one is going to force you to bet the race....

nearco
05-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Lot of tracks race Arabians, Delaware, Sam Houston, Los Al spring to mind.
This is different, it's just one race, probably for a lot more money than Arabians are used to running for as those other tracks. But it's rally just a gimmick, they did the same at Longchamp, as part of the sponsorship package for the Arc they had to include a race for Arabians on the undercard. Kind of a novelty thing, doubt you'll see Arabian races as being a regular feature at places like Keeneland and the Curragh.
Still don't understand why they race Arabians over TB distances, they are so slow. Above 8 or 10 miles is where they excel.

Cardus
05-11-2010, 02:38 PM
What is the race's condition: "Non-perpertrator of one terrorist act other than..."?

BluegrassProf
05-11-2010, 02:57 PM
What is the race's condition: "Non-perpertrator of one terrorist act other than..."?For crissakes. *Facepalm*

Re: Keeneland...I'm fairly confident that KEE will do a classy job of whatever endeavors they undertake, Arabians included. Keeneland does what it does in a way that, IMO, few other tracks can claim: aesthetics and ambiance are key, and make the place what it is. If anyone's not done so, I recommend spending some time there - you'll appreciate it. Quickly.

What Keeneland has going for it is the romance of the sport, and almost moreso, of the horse...I'm certain they can capture this with Arabians in their own way as they do w/ thoroughbreds.

I'm also fairly confident they could give two flips for what we think. They've still not used my free PA member admission suggestion.

Yet.

Robert Goren
05-11-2010, 03:03 PM
What is the race's condition: "Non-perpertrator of one terrorist act other than..."?:lol: :lol: :lol:

andymays
05-11-2010, 04:32 PM
Care to explain why you think this would be so awful?

No!

It's a beef with Keenland thing. ;)

JustRalph
05-11-2010, 04:48 PM
What is the race's condition: "Non-perpertrator of one terrorist act other than..."?

inappropriate for the thread, but damn funny :lol:

What's the big deal.....it's one race.

Btw, 1st cousins only have a 4-7 percent chance of something going wrong.....There are worse things...........

Just ask Jerry Lee Lewis.......... :lol:

kenwoodall2
05-11-2010, 05:28 PM
"Tourism Authority will give away a trip for two to Abu Dhabi."
This is the best part of the story and should be used to promote racing to the general public, with inventive contest promotions.

WinterTriangle
05-11-2010, 09:41 PM
IF we do not start breeding back to a new gene pool (thoroughbreds original basis of The Darley Arabian, the Byerly Turf and the Godolphin Barb) and some point the breed will be doomed for lack of variability akin to first cousins marrying and having children.

This is a good thing and a place to start in considering a mix of the blood.

I was thinking that myself all week, then realized the jockey club would have a heart attack. :)

Aga Khan thinking out of the box statement was something much discussed on breeding forums and blogs, and some people put forth same ideas as you have.

So, are you saying you hope a few get loose on the track and hook up with a TB? :D

Pace Cap'n
05-12-2010, 03:20 AM
The series also is designed to promote Abu Dhabi and the United Arab Emirates as a tourism destination, and so at each race Etihad Airways and the Abu Dhabi Tourism Authority will give away a trip for two to Abu Dhabi.

Second prize is a trip for four to Abu Dhabi.