PDA

View Full Version : Desormeaux defends his stretch ride.

andymays
05-10-2010, 07:07 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/article/112841.html

Excerpt:

"It's only from ignorance or lack of communication where you can make the accusation," Desormeaux said Saturday between races at Belmont Park.

The accusation made by some handicappers, media members, and even the horse's trainer, Dale Romans, is that Desormeaux did not ride Paddy O'Prado to the wire in the Derby, and he was caught for second by Ice Box in the final strides. Inside the sixteenth pole, Desormeaux stopped whipping Paddy O'Prado after he had hit him six times inside the eighth pole. Desormeaux then looks under his right shoulder and when he notices someone coming he throws a cross at the horse and vigorously hand rides him to the wire.

andymays
05-10-2010, 07:10 PM
For the record I've been DQ'd on more than one Kent Desormneaux mount.

Especially in big races.

The Wicked North was one of the worst.

Tons of talent but .................. :bang:

Excerpt:

John Veitch, the former trainer who is now Kentucky's chief state steward, told the Louisville Courier-Journal last week that Desormeaux's actions "really didn't alter the outcome" of the Derby and said there was no need for sanctions.

However, Veitch went on say that Desormeaux "has the reputation for doing that, but we looked at it and it was very marginal."

senortout
05-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Look I know a passel of jockies who don't always ride out to the wire with enthusiasm after seeing that they cannot take the top spot.

Its one of the reasons I prefer racing in Southern California....they ride out nearly every mount, with few exceptions.

Give credit where credit is due!

senortout

PhantomOnTour
05-10-2010, 07:26 PM
I am convinced now more than ever that Kent is going to ride Calvin's ass in the Preakness. Paddy and Super Saver shouldn't be more than a length off each other the whole way. Don't know who will go to the front (Ike? Yawanna Twist?) but these two will be stuck together.....can someone sneak up on them?

As for his explanation, in light of all the flak he gets from Cali players and NY players alike, it's a tough sell. Here are some stats though:

Bel spring/summer meet 2008: BEST ITM % at 57%
Bel spring/summer meet 2009: 2nd best ITM% (Ramon at 55%-Kent at 54%)

Sar 2007 meet: 2nd best ITM% (Gomez-45%, Kent-44%)
Sar 2008 meet: 5th best ITM% at 41%
Sar 2009 meet: 2nd best ITM% (Ramon-52%, Kent-44%)

Draw your own conclusions.

bisket
05-10-2010, 08:31 PM
i always have a rooting interest in jocks or trainers that cut their teeth on the md circuit. desormeaux is one of the exceptions. classic desormeaux decision making. pound a poor horse into submission that clearly has a race won, and stop riding when the race is still in question. if there's a wrong decision to be made in a big race you can bet desormeaux will make it. i'll never forget the owners of sweetnorthernsaint paid for desormeaux to fly in to work their horse derby week, and kent slept through the morning of the work then got on a plane and returned to new york to ride. :mad: idiot!! gomez is looking to be the same way.

Ejmenz
05-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Watch Kent's ride on Unrivaled Belle vs Rachel, I made a nice bet on Kent and I was fabulously happy he threw three or four crosses but only hit the filly one time, IMO he out rode Calvin in that race.

I can't praise him one day for a great ride, then rip him the next day because my wife had the derby exacta until the last strides. His rides were very consistent with his style, I try to be consistent with my criticism.

My wife on the other hand..... :mad:

Tom
05-10-2010, 11:22 PM
I thought Kent rode him perfectly in the Derby. Perfectly. Since I had IB in my ex. :D

Market Mover
05-11-2010, 02:55 AM

Excerpt:

"It's only from ignorance or lack of communication where you can make the accusation," Desormeaux said Saturday between races at Belmont Park.

The accusation made by some handicappers, media members, and even the horse's trainer, Dale Romans, is that Desormeaux did not ride Paddy O'Prado to the wire in the Derby, and he was caught for second by Ice Box in the final strides. Inside the sixteenth pole, Desormeaux stopped whipping Paddy O'Prado after he had hit him six times inside the eighth pole. Desormeaux then looks under his right shoulder and when he notices someone coming he throws a cross at the horse and vigorously hand rides him to the wire.

Has anyone ever read Desormeaux's comments and wondered if "flights of ideation" have ever been brought up to his psychiatrist?

"It's only from ignorance or lack of communication?"...could someone tell me how these two points that Desormeaux's trying to correlate have any relevance with each other?

So if I'm launching the accusation, then I must be ignorant, Kent. But lack of communication with whom?

I don't get this guy. I just don't get him.

WinterTriangle
05-11-2010, 03:36 AM
Look I know a passel of jockies who don't always ride out to the wire with enthusiasm after seeing that they cannot take the top spot.

And if Des used up the horse needlessly, knowing he was going in the Preakness, they would have criticized him for that. :rolleyes: Not sure you take huge chances on a real sloppy track?

Paddy was a solid bottom of a trifecta bet. Perfect for that, and that's how he came in.

I really like this horse, but not better than I liked SS and Ice Box.

Cardus
05-11-2010, 08:34 AM
And if Des used up the horse needlessly, knowing he was going in the Preakness, they would have criticized him for that. :rolleyes: Not sure you take huge chances on a real sloppy track?

Paddy was a solid bottom of a trifecta bet. Perfect for that, and that's how he came in.

I really like this horse, but not better than I liked SS and Ice Box.

So urging for a few more strides -- however he would have done it -- in the Derby would have "used up the horse needlessly"? This is foolish. (And I am not weighing in on his ride here.)

There is no scenario -- other than in your mind -- in which ANYONE would have said what you suggested above had Paddy O'Prado run second in the Derby.

This is gibberish.

And nice job using this flawed opinion as a platform to remind us who you liked more in the Derby.

Dahoss9698
05-11-2010, 09:45 AM
And nice job using this flawed opinion as a platform to remind us who you liked more in the Derby.

He was a solid bottom of tri bet, just not before the race. Easy game I tell you....after the fact of course.

Tier 1: The only horses I like are Lookin at Lucky, Ice Box, Devil May Care, Dean's Kitten.

Tier 2: (If I had to pick 4 more for exotics they would be Awesome Act, Mission Impasible, Super Saver, Sidney.)

I'll make up an exacta and tri with the top ones in the win and show positions, and the 2nd ones in the place position. Small wager.

Hoping Zito win the KY Derby though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

woops, forgot to add Noble's Promise, I like him a little too.

9 horses and no Paddy O' Prado. Woops.

andymays
05-11-2010, 09:57 AM
DESORMEAUX’S DEFENSE

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/desormeauxs-defense/

statepierback
05-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Kent is a talented rider. I deal with these issues be betting him win only.

Stillriledup
08-13-2010, 05:20 AM
He defends this ride and then keeps doing the same thing. Kent caught AGAIN at the wire for a board spot after he stopped riding (just 'showing' the horse the stick) in the featch yesterday at the Spa.

This is a hard guy to bet and a harder guy to root for.

TheBid9
08-13-2010, 08:12 AM
I followed Kent during Real Quiet's 98' assault on the Triple Crown. IMHO, he fell asleep on the horse and stopped riding in the Belmont. Stevens commented Kent had RQ in a "blind" situation and gave Stevens and Victory Gallop a one stride opportunity to pass him. That race cost me a month's night sleep. I sincerely believe Kent has some problem, somewhere! I really don't believe all the cylinders are firing.

Greyfox
08-13-2010, 10:06 AM
Baffert kicked Desormeaux off his mounts years ago for this same problem.
However, Ice Box was coming like a freight train and Desormeaux did the best he could do on the steed he had. Whipping wouldn't have helped. In fact it may have slowed the horse even more. Not guilty.

Hanover1
08-13-2010, 06:31 PM
However, Ice Box was coming like a freight train and Desormeaux did the best he could do on the steed he had. Whipping wouldn't have helped. In fact it may have slowed the horse even more. Not guilty.

We have an old saying: "When yer whipped, yer whipped".

Stillriledup
08-13-2010, 06:50 PM

I dont think its the whipping that has people miffed, its the lack of a poweful hand urge. If he put the whip away very late and just got down in the crouch and pumped hard and showed a vigorous urge, people wouldnt be questioning it. Its not the whipping, its the lack of a hard hand ride.

Guilty.

Greyfox
08-13-2010, 08:08 PM
I dont think its the whipping that has people miffed, its the lack of a poweful hand urge. Guilty.

Not guilty and don't forget it cost Desormeaux thousands of $$$$$.
He wanted second probably more than any poster on this board.
Ice Box wouldn't have been bested even if Desormeaux had four hands to urge with and was wearing a Superman cape.

JustRalph
08-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Ice Box wouldn't have been bested even if Desormeaux had four hands to urge with and was wearing a Superman cape.

yeah, but he would have looked cool as hell in the cape

winningponies
08-14-2010, 05:23 AM

Yea I agree. I even think Ice Box would have won that race if he didn't have one of the worst trips imaginable (although Lucky had a terrible trip as well). Plus, I would have cashed a much bigger Oaks/Derby Double.

Stillriledup
08-14-2010, 03:20 PM

I respectfully disagree with you Fox. Kent is found guilty and its all there on VIDEOTAPE. He stops riding the horse, its on tape, you can't argue something that's on tape for all to see.

NOW, what you CAN argue is that if he urged hard or not it sill wouldnt have made the horse go faster, which might be the argument that you're making.

At any rate, horseplayers don't care to 'wonder' if Kent's mounts might have had higher board spots than they did if he really urged with all his might. Personally, i'd prefer that he urged with 4 hands instead of sitting up and 'showing' the horse the stick while sitting motionless in the last few strides of the race.

Kent's philosophy is "well, i've urged all the way down the lane, this is all the horse has, he's going as fast as he can, why beat him up late?". My philosphy is that board spots sometimes are decided by 1/100th of a second or even 1/1000 of a seconds, one extra 'push" could be the difference. It doesn't seem like it at the time, but it can and usually does make a difference.

Stillriledup
10-28-2010, 01:53 PM
So, anyway , here we are, the 2nd race at Keeneland on OCt 28th. I take a gander at the a....form and see a good looking closer name Moneigh. I figure, in a race with a lot of cheap speed, she can move wide and crush em. But, then i see the rider and i'm like 'gulp' do i really want to bet on mr not ride em out hard? Well, i see his record that he does actually have 5 seconds and 4 thirds at the meet. You would think that is odd considering that if this guy doesnt win he usually grabs up and makes no effort to get minor placings.

Guess what happens guys? I see this guy standing up and easing this horse in the lane.

Lesson Learned. I won't be betting this guy anymore, scouts honor. :eek: