PDA

View Full Version : Why does California have the highest cost to maintain a horse?

Igeteven
05-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Why does California have the highest cost to maintain a horse?

I think it costs around $3300.00 per month to maintain a horse here is California.

I would like to know where is the lowest and if there is a State higher then California.

Any trainers ,owners or player would like to take a stab at this.

andymays
05-09-2010, 11:43 AM
The Politicians in Sacramento! :bang: :ThmbDown:

Igeteven
05-09-2010, 11:44 AM
The Politicians in Sacramento! :bang: :ThmbDown:

Hi, Andy, right on :)

Lester

Horseplayersbet.com
05-09-2010, 11:45 AM

I think it costs around $3300.00 per month to maintain a horse here is California.

I would like to know where is the lowest and if there is a State higher then California.

Anyone know?
I would imagine a track like Beulah and Thistledown have the lowest day rates in North America.
Here is the cost in Ontario (Woodbine is higher than Fort Erie, but both are lower than California):
http://cangamble.blogspot.com/2010/03/cost-of-owning-thoroughbred-in-ontario.html

Bruddah
05-09-2010, 12:22 PM

As Uncle Jed and Gov. Arnold would say, "Because it's Kal-EE-forn-EE-Ya. The land of swimming pools and Movie Stars."

andymays
05-09-2010, 12:24 PM
As Uncle Jed and Gov. Arnold would say, "Because it's Kal-EE-forn-EE-Ya. The land of swimming pools and Movie Stars."

And it costs extra for the reverse osmosis watering system at "you know where". ;)

Dave Schwartz
05-09-2010, 01:55 PM
A contributing factor is that they have what must be the highest workmen's comp rates in the nation.

ronsmac
05-09-2010, 02:02 PM
That .5% increase in the exotic takeout a few yrs ago was supposed to lower the workers comp and bring new owners and increase field size. Then the artificial surfaces were mandated for safety and to increase field size. From what I see, they're running three to four 5 and 6 horse fields a day. So I guess they're doing a great job in So Cal.

Fager Fan
05-09-2010, 02:47 PM

I don't think it's by state, but instead by trainer. $3,300 a month doesn't seem unusual, not when top owners across the country figure that it costs them $50,000 a year to have a horse in training.

If your horse is with one of the big trainers on the East Coast, the day rate's going to be $100 and up, and I'd guess it's similar to the big trainers on the West Coast. Go to the smaller tracks and you'll find trainers who are $85 down to $50 a day.