PDA

View Full Version : Digital TV Sound

Pell Mell
05-08-2010, 09:28 PM
This isn't a computer question but I didn't know where else to ask.

I have several TVs in my home. I don't have cable or satellite just antennas. Since the switch to digital I have had a problem with sound volume.

I have a large screen digital tv that the volume has gotten lower. I had 3 nice virtually new small tvs for the bedroom. These are not digital and use a converter box.

I hooked one up and it was fine for several months and then the sound started to die to the point it could hardly be heard. I switched to another tv and it worked fine for a couple of months and the sound started to gradually get weaker. I am now on the third tv and after working fine for a couple months the sound is getting weaker.

Any idea what is going on? :confused:

JustRalph
05-08-2010, 09:56 PM
change the battery in your hearing aid

wilderness
05-08-2010, 10:48 PM
I've had a similar problem (lower volume on the non-HD channesl) in contrast between HD channels and non-HD channels with two providers.

The providers say it's a TV problem, and the TV maker says its a provider broadcast problem.

I'm sure there is a configuration setting in one or the other that controls the sound levels, however I've not been able to locate it.

Pell Mell
05-09-2010, 07:10 AM
I've had a similar problem (lower volume on the non-HD channesl) in contrast between HD channels and non-HD channels with two providers.

The providers say it's a TV problem, and the TV maker says its a provider broadcast problem.

I'm sure there is a configuration setting in one or the other that controls the sound levels, however I've not been able to locate it.

I feel it's a broadcast problem. My wife watches the Fox channel, especially American Idol, and Fox comes in on channels 39-1 and 39-2 in our area. The sound is twice as loud on one channel as the other but same program on both. :bang:

Pell Mell
05-09-2010, 07:13 AM
change the battery in your hearing aid

I've tried lip reading but that's too loud, hurts my eyes.;)

DJofSD
05-09-2010, 09:36 AM
A little more information here: http://broadcastengineering.com/audio/turn-down-volume-0110/

Pace Cap'n
05-09-2010, 11:05 AM
In our home, and our daughter's as well, a different sort of audio problem exists. We have Dish, and she has Direct, and each has a large screen HDTV.

When watching a movie on any of the pay channels, spoken words border on the inaudible. The music soundtrack comes through loud and clear, and every bomb and gunshot and tire screech will knock you out of your chair, but it's darn near impossible to hear what the actors are saying. Turning the volume up or down makes no difference. The sound is coming directly from the TV, i.e. no sound system.

Has anyone else experienced this?

GameTheory
05-09-2010, 12:22 PM
In our home, and our daughter's as well, a different sort of audio problem exists. We have Dish, and she has Direct, and each has a large screen HDTV.

When watching a movie on any of the pay channels, spoken words border on the inaudible. The music soundtrack comes through loud and clear, and every bomb and gunshot and tire screech will knock you out of your chair, but it's darn near impossible to hear what the actors are saying. Turning the volume up or down makes no difference. The sound is coming directly from the TV, i.e. no sound system.

Has anyone else experienced this?Try playing with the Dolby settings on the sat box -- on Dish goto menu/system setup/dolby digital and try "RF Mode" vs "Line Mode" and see if that helps. Also play with any surround settings (or simulated surround) settings on your TV. I'm assuming you are connected via HDMI cable? If not, you may have some cables not in the optimal configuration.

In any case, if you DID have an external surround system you could correct for this because you can control the volume of each channel and pump up the center dialogue track yourself. It is a common problem with mixes on modern movies. Explosions way too loud, so you turn it down and can no longer hear the dialogue scenes...

JustRalph
05-09-2010, 03:25 PM
I've tried lip reading but that's too loud, hurts my eyes.;)

Nice retort! Literally made lol

I spent five years standing around airplanes in the air force. Wore the ear plugs I am guessing 95 percent of the time, it's the other five percent I am regretting........ I feel your pain. I have started relying on headphones/earbuds more. They work pretty well

Pell Mell
05-09-2010, 05:45 PM
Nice retort! Literally made lol

I spent five years standing around airplanes in the air force. Wore the ear plugs I am guessing 95 percent of the time, it's the other five percent I am regretting........ I feel your pain. I have started relying on headphones/earbuds more. They work pretty well

Yes, and I drove stock cars for 30 yrs. but my wife is the one that complains the most.
I have since checked with some other people and others have the same problem.

It seems that once the volume reaches a certain level no matter how high you turn it up it just doesn't go beyond a certain level. There is a difference between some channels.

I read the article that another poster put up and as far as I can figure they may be keeping commercials below a certain level but the difference between the programs and commercials remains the same.

There was mention of an echo problem also and my wife thought the speakers in the new TV were going bad because she hears a booming vibration.

I think this digital bullshit is like the synthetic track stuff; they always jump into the deep end of the pool before they know how to swim. :bang: