PDA

View Full Version : Dosage and the Derby

WinterTriangle
05-08-2010, 01:46 AM
It held again this year. :)

16 dosage points or less is a no-no for the derby. And it held again this year.......the one's with 16 or less not only didn't win, but they didn't hit the board:
Conveyance 8
Deans Kitten 14
Dublin---10
Sidneys Candy 10
American Lion16
Line Of David 16
Stately Victor 16
Homeboykris 14
Backtalk 16

kenwoodall2
05-08-2010, 03:26 AM
And 6 of 8 of Super Saver's Great Grandparents had dosage indexes of 2.85 or less!

Robert Goren
05-08-2010, 06:50 AM
Anymore, you need off track ability in your pedigree if your going win the Derby.;)

LemonSoupKid
05-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Due to people's desire for the "quick fix", "simple solution" and other such acculturations, Dosage has become the most misunderstood metric. I've posted extensively in the past in succinctly recently regarding this phenomenon.

Dosage is very valuable. Period.

As with any metric, however, you have to know how to use it.

Does any single thing tell you who is going to win? Of course not.

But you would think horse players would be smart enough to realize that like every other useful tip/tactic they utilize in handicapping a race, the inherent value in each of them (if there is one) is that each increases the probability that they will correctly predict the race.

Now read that again and let's all get better at what we like doing --- picking winners.

WinterTriangle
05-08-2010, 12:51 PM
As with any metric, however, you have to know how to use it.

Does any single thing tell you who is going to win? Of course not.

Yes, I have a spreadsheet for the derby that graded on about 20 other pedigree angles.

Don't really have time to go over every one, most all of them "worked", actually. It would take a paper to cover it though. :)

Picked one that was more obvious.

joanied
05-08-2010, 06:46 PM
And 6 of 8 of Super Saver's Great Grandparents had dosage indexes of 2.85 or less!

Right...and hey....WINTER T...thanks for posting those 'numbers'...I keep saying SS has a wonderful pedigree...if one looks through it all, for lack of better words...everything just clicks.
I would not count him out for the TC just yet...he has the bloodlines, the dosage, IMO, the conformation, and he obviously has a good mind...and the right running style, now that Borel was able to get him to rate...it's all there:ThmbUp: