PDA

View Full Version : Stars provide relief $$$ to Nashville

sandpit
05-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Taylor Swift, who is not even of legal drinking age, donated $500,000 of her own money to the relief effort in Nashville. Incredible generosity, but even more incredible she has that kind of coin to dispose.

Meanwhile, the NFL and their players association, who you would think have a lot more money than Ms. Swift, came with $400,000, and half of that came from the Titans owner Bud Adams. I bet the sight of his stadium with water in it was amazing.

From a local blog: The LP Field that our Tennessee Titans play in only suffered minor flood damages. The tornado last weekend caused so much damage that the owners are just now doing observations of the stadium. While a few service areas have only 2-inches of water, in a few spots, the whole field is completely covered.

Tom
05-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Taylor...sa-lute! :ThmbUp:

NFL.....:rolleyes:
10% of their bail money would have been better.

Overlay
05-08-2010, 10:07 AM
Taylor Swift, who is not even of legal drinking age, donated $500,000 of her own money to the relief effort in Nashville. Incredible generosity, but even more incredible she has that kind of coin to dispose.

sandpit,

I'm happy for her, and I'ma let you finish this thread, but has Kanye West indicated whether Beyonce is going to donate her proceeds from one of the best music videos of all TIME?!

sandpit
05-08-2010, 12:53 PM
I remember Randy Moss saying one time after he got fined $10K, "What's $10,000, it don't mean s*** to me." Kinda laughing about it.

So, if every NFL player gave their "don't mean s***" money, that would be:

$10,000 x 32 teams x 53 players = $16,960,000.

jballscalls
05-08-2010, 01:32 PM
I remember Randy Moss saying one time after he got fined $10K, "What's $10,000, it don't mean s*** to me." Kinda laughing about it.

So, if every NFL player gave their "don't mean s***" money, that would be:

$10,000 x 32 teams x 53 players = $16,960,000.

i'm sure Randy was probably pissed about the fine and just trying to act like a bad ass.

your statements are eerily similar to what many on the left seem to think. Hey they have the money, lets tell them how to spend it

sandpit
05-09-2010, 09:18 AM
i'm sure Randy was probably pissed about the fine and just trying to act like a bad ass.

your statements are eerily similar to what many on the left seem to think. Hey they have the money, lets tell them how to spend it

I'm sure he was mad about it...it was right about the time when he got some press for a fender bender with a cop and had a little marijuana on him.

I have no desire to tell anybody how they should spend their money; I certainly don't want anybody telling me what to do with the little I have. I was just pointing out a statistical fact.

cj's dad
05-10-2010, 09:55 AM
I find it strange that in the last several months the U.S. has endured the massive flooding in the New England states, the oil rig explosion in the Gulf of Mexico which seriously endangers the United States economy, and the recent flooding in Tennessee, yet there is no as in in zero criticism of Barack Obama by the mainstream media.

I assume that only if damage involves New Orleans and there were a Republican President in charge would there be a public outcry regarding a lack of action on his part !!!!

PhantomOnTour
05-10-2010, 10:02 AM
I find it strange that in the last several months the U.S. has endured the massive flooding in the New England states, the oil rig explosion in the Gulf of Mexico which seriously endangers the United States economy, and the recent flooding in Tennessee, yet there is no as in in zero criticism of Barack Obama by the mainstream media.

I assume that only if damage involves New Orleans and there were a Republican President in charge would there be a public outcry regarding a lack of action on his part !!!!
How lame. It's not about chipping in and helping folks in Tennessee, rather it's about wondering why no one is blaming Obama...? Come again? Are you mad that folks aren't mad at Obama? Or are you still upset that folks didn't like Bush and the way he handled Katrina???

You 'assume'...... :ThmbDown:

Robert Goren
05-10-2010, 10:21 AM

I assume that only if damage involves New Orleans and there were a Republican President in charge would there be a public outcry regarding a lack of action on his part !!!!Not even Fox has not been able to find someone in Tennessee who has anything bad to say about the Federal response to their flooding. Could that be because there are people in charge who know what they are doing instead of failed businessmen who used some political influence to get their jobs? JMO

cj's dad
05-10-2010, 10:29 AM
How lame. It's not about chipping in and helping folks in Tennessee, rather it's about wondering why no one is blaming Obama...? Come again? Are you mad that folks aren't mad at Obama? Or are you still upset that folks didn't like Bush and the way he handled Katrina???

You 'assume'...... :ThmbDown:

New Orleans is still a mess in certain areas. Whose fault is that ??

Maybe it's all about the people (locals) and not about the leadership; just maybe ??

Tom
05-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Could it be the people of Tenn are more willing to help themselves than whine about Bush?

cj's dad
05-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Could it be the people of Tenn are more willing to help themselves than whine about Bush?

Ladies and Gents, we have a winner, "move to the head of the class" Tom.

PhantomOnTour
05-10-2010, 11:32 AM
New Orleans is still a mess in certain areas. Whose fault is that ??

Maybe it's all about the people (locals) and not about the leadership; just maybe ??
Absolutely correct. New Orleans is corrupt beyond corrupt, and folks are having to be kicked out of their FEMA trailers (or start paying rent) simply because they haven't gotten back up on their feet yet...laziness...gov't dependence.

However, what does this have to do with Obama? The credit/blame lies more with local gov't officials and FEMA execs. I brought up Bush and Katrina because you alluded to it when wondering why Obama wasn't getting slammed in the elusive and legendary MSM. This is just another non-Obama topic that took exactly 7 posts before someone tried to bring him into the conversation.....OBSESSION!

Tom
05-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Rename NO Greece!

cj's dad
05-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Absolutely correct. New Orleans is corrupt beyond corrupt, and folks are having to be kicked out of their FEMA trailers (or start paying rent) simply because they haven't gotten back up on their feet yet...laziness...gov't dependence.

However, what does this have to do with Obama? The credit/blame lies more with local gov't officials and FEMA execs. I brought up Bush and Katrina because you alluded to it when wondering why Obama wasn't getting slammed in the elusive and legendary MSM. This is just another non-Obama topic that took exactly 7 posts before someone tried to bring him into the conversation.....OBSESSION!

No, it honestly is not obsession on my part. I do however find it offensive that a man who I considered to be a decent and honorable man (GWB) was taken to task at every opportunity for his supposed failures including Katrina.

Obama on the other hand seems to get a pass no matter the circumstance.

Just once, I would like to see him called on the carpet, so to speak, for his alledged shortcomings, and IMO there have been many to date.

Just once.

jballscalls
05-10-2010, 01:29 PM
No, it honestly is not obsession on my part. I do however find it offensive that a man who I considered to be a decent and honorable man (GWB) was taken to task at every opportunity for his supposed failures including Katrina.

Just once, I would like to see him called on the carpet, so to speak, for his alledged shortcomings, and IMO there have been many to date.

Just once.

how does he get a pass? his approval ratings have been sinking, he's been torched by news and media people on a daily basis for his shortcomings, he's torched back here multiple times per hour, what do you want?? if you are wanting channels like MSNBC or places like the NY Times to torch him, probably isn't going to happen. Go read any poll on AOL news and everyone torches the guy, he's hated by tons of people.

i would assume if he continues his shortcomings, his time will come. if not in the public eye or via the media, it will come at the polls.

i mean some people are going to like him no matter what cause they think he's the savior, that he's a smart guy, and that he's not GWB, who many think was not an honorable and decent man

Bettowin
05-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Hopefully Alan Jackson's $36 million home didn't get hurt by the flood. It's for sale if you want to buy it.

http://www.showcasebyagent.com/sba/index.php?sbo=r0s0614&tab=vt&mu=

JustRalph
05-10-2010, 04:35 PM
Hopefully Alan Jackson's $36 million home didn't get hurt by the flood. It's for sale if you want to buy it.

http://www.showcasebyagent.com/sba/index.php?sbo=r0s0614&tab=vt&mu=

Damn, all that behind the same 4 chords in almost every damn song.......... :bang: :bang: and he plays them in the same damn order...... :bang: :bang:

Dad, don't you know that disasters only happen to people of color ?

Get with it............ :ThmbUp:

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_050710/content/01125110.guest.html

cj's dad
05-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Damn, all that behind the same 4 chords in almost every damn song.......... :bang: :bang: and he plays them in the same damn order...... :bang: :bang:

Dad, don't you know that disasters only happen to people of color ?

Get with it............ :ThmbUp:

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_050710/content/01125110.guest.html

I would wager that if a disaster happened in Cheyenne Wy., Salt Lake City Ut., Fargo N.D. or Boise, Id. the cities mentioned would be up and running with minimum government involvement. Anyone care to wager as if it were possible to prove. Just a hunch on my part, but I stand by it, and no one will convince me otherwise- no one !!

jballscalls
05-10-2010, 10:50 PM
I would wager that if a disaster happened in Cheyenne Wy., Salt Lake City Ut., Fargo N.D. or Boise, Id. the cities mentioned would be up and running with minimum government involvement. Anyone care to wager as if it were possible to prove. Just a hunch on my part, but I stand by it, and no one will convince me otherwise- no one !!

what is it about those cities that you think would make them be more efficient post disaster? just curious, i've been to all of them all, can't imagine going back to any of them, but they all seemed like fine american cities.

JustRalph
05-10-2010, 10:58 PM
http://fieldnotes.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2010/05/10/2299135.aspx

IN NASHVILLE, HOPE SPRINGS AMONG THE TEARS
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 2:54 PM
By Mary Murray, NBC News Producer

NASHVILLE, TN – A week after severe storms and flooding wrecked havoc across this city, I watched as families living along Delray Drive, on the west side of town, ripped their homes down to bare nails, throwing out lifetimes of memories along with every possession they own.

The torrential storms and flooding killed 23 people across Tennessee and caused more than $1.5 billion in property damage in the Nashville area alone.

But what has surprised me most is how few tears I have seen flowing; instead, I’ve seen the uncompromising courage and tenacity of the people living here.

more at the link

Tom
05-10-2010, 11:41 PM
what is it about those cities that you think would make them be more efficient post disaster? just curious, i've been to all of them all, can't imagine going back to any of them, but they all seemed like fine american cities.

Guessing here....run by democrats?

Robert Goren
05-10-2010, 11:54 PM

Just once. There must be at least 3 threads a day here on Obama. Fox spends the better part of most evenings raking him over the coals. We are only a little over a year in to Obama's first term. After the first year of Bush's first term almost the whole nation was behind him as he entered the war in Iraq. It was not till it became known that he was wrong about WMDs, that some of country started to turn on him. Bush's legacy will not be Katrina or the Iraq war but his Supreme court appointments. The Judges who think corporations have the rights as human American Citizen. You really got to wonder what kind perverted logic that Roberts and company will come up next. JMO

cj's dad
05-11-2010, 08:16 AM

The populations of these cities are made up primarily of people who are self sufficient. In other words they work for a living, do not expect the government to be their sole provider and savior, and simply put, would buckle down and go to work to fix that which needed fixin'. IMO.

jballscalls
05-11-2010, 10:16 AM
The populations of these cities are made up primarily of people who are self sufficient. In other words they work for a living, do not expect the government to be their sole provider and savior, and simply put, would buckle down and go to work to fix that which needed fixin'. IMO.

interesting. my housemate is from Boise and the guy works his butt off at work, and doing yard work, etc, maybe they have something in the water there :)

i just find it hard to believe that most cities wouldnt be able to rebound after disaster. i mean, most big cities unemployment rates are 10 to 20% right now, so that still leaves atleast 80% who are working and i'd say a majority of those folks are self sufficient. So wouldnt basically every city be made up of people who are 'primarily self sufficient'?

i'm not doubting that those cities listed arent made up of great folks, i guess since i've lived in big cities that you didn't list, and have met so many amazing people in them, i can't fathom that a place like Portland wouldnt band together to work themselves out of the crisis. statistics don't show the heart of a town

GaryG
05-11-2010, 10:25 AM
I would wager that if a disaster happened in Cheyenne Wy., Salt Lake City Ut., Fargo N.D. or Boise, Id. the cities mentioned would be up and running with minimum government involvement. Anyone care to wager as if it were possible to prove. Just a hunch on my part, but I stand by it, and no one will convince me otherwise- no one !!Here is an example. I know a lot of people in Cheyenne and you are right about that one as well.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2010/0319/What-Fargo-N.D.-goes-through-to-contain-Red-River-flooding

Robert Goren
05-11-2010, 10:33 AM
what is it about those cities that you think would make them be more efficient post disaster? just curious, i've been to all of them all, can't imagine going back to any of them, but they all seemed like fine american cities. It is the size of the disaster compared to size of the city. As bad as the Nashville floods are, they are not the same as Katrina that hit La and Miss. Some times the disaster is so big that no matter how well run the area is the locals do not have ability to handle it. I will say this that Fla does handle Hurricanes better than what La and Miss did with Katrina, but they have more experience too. JMO

cj's dad
05-11-2010, 08:43 PM
My point is this ---

If you have spent a big part of your life being supported by the Federal Government, it would seem to me that "taking care of business" so to speak would be a foreign concept to you. This is not a black or white thing, but a conditioning thing which would make one think that you merely have to sit back and let the government "fix" things. In the real world, the government is nothing but a money source. The real recovery comes from within. And my belief is that the folks in NO are waiting for someone other than themselves to fix things and "that ain't happenin"!!