PDA

View Full Version : My mom.....

lilmegahertz
05-06-2010, 02:37 PM
My mom was 87 and in Feb broke her hip She was a fiercely independant woman that did things her way. To be in a hospital, not moving around was hell for her. She was doing great way ahead of schedule and was supposed to come home on the 5th of this month. But then she got pnemonia while in the hospital in Elk City OK.
Thurs she began to get worse and they took her to Oklahoma City. Mom had always told us to promise to never ever let her be hooked up to machines. She never believed in that. She told us that when the time comes, people should be allowed to go out gracefully. We all promised. Again just a few weeks ago we all swore to her that as it is her wish we would do as she wants. Present day: We went to OKC Fri and my oldest brother had come in from California and met me. We sat with mom for a bit and she was on respirators and they were having trouble keeping her blood pressure up but otherwise stable. So my bro went to their hotel and we came on home. The next morning before dawn my bro calls me to say that mom had a stroke in the early morn hours and was now on life support. We rushed to the hospital and it was horrible. All those machines. Around noon the dr told us mom was going into septic shock because her kidneys had failed and her other organs were going. My bro called everyone but it was not until 430 that we could talk to the youngest as he had to work. After he got all our approvals, he told the dr to do what was her wishes. The other sibs could not make it but to said go ahead and end her suffering. He and I wanted to be alone with her until......you know so our spouses went outside to wait. we talked with her and prayed and then at 520 she took her last breath. We waited a couple mins then had the dr come in to confirm ......I went outside to tell our spouses and told Danny to just put on the car radio. I needed to hear a song, any song before I went back inside to face reality. the Kentucky Derby was on. I kept looking at the clock and as it said 531, they were off and running. I listened to the race. When it was Super Saver that had won, I thought how appropriate. My mother was the best one ever to find the best bargains. She came from nothing and we always had nothing yet mom always managed to save money. Right after the race I took Danny's hand and we went inside to my bro, his wife and my mom. All the time I kept thinking it was a beautiful day. A beautiful day and my mom is gone. Not in her yard like she would have been but gone. We came home I got my things together and went to stay with my brothers and my sister when she got in from Washington. We had her services yesterday at 1000 and visited her graveside telling mom stories the whole week. We got her a mother's day card, all of us kids signed it with a little message to her, and placed it with her so she could have it. My mom was a character. She had the funniest sayings and had a great sense of humor. Her life was no bed of roses, she had to struggle the whole time. She raised 7 kids while dad took off to start a new family. She was a WAC during WWII, and prior to that was a Rosie the Riveter. Yet she always had her humor. One story is the time we took her to visit the cemetary. She liked looking at old tombstones [thats where I got it] and saw one and pointed it out. She said " Why thats Ms so n so. She was the biggest gossip around. Well, [as she points at the headstone] that'll shut her up." Just off the wall remarks. But we loved her for it because that was mom. Her grandchildren really took this hard as they worshipped her. They thought she was the greatest thing ever and loved going over to visit her.
I loved telling about when mom came on chat that one time and was just hilarious. Mom was a true orignal and we will miss her terribly. Mom would always say " Look at old so n so. All they do is float around in a cadillac." The hearse that took her to her final resting place was a cadillac one. All us kids said to mom " well mom...there you go. Floating around town in a cadillac." Mom could take it as well as dish it out. We learned to look hardship in the face and laugh at it because of her.

Thank you all for the prayers, flowers and cards. We really appreciated them. They helped us get thru knowing that mom had people pulling for her and us. Time will heal our hearts and we have all just went thru one of the hardset things in life, but we did it with humor as mom would have done. Thank you. Brenda

Grits
05-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Lmgh, your mom raised seven children--alone without husband or father.

I can't know about your siblings, but she did an outstanding job with the one who has written this tribute.

I'm so sorry for you all, I know you will miss her greatly. She sounds like a woman who had, and KNEW SHE HAD far more than money could ever, ever buy.

You're to be very much envied.

Take care. She'll be with you always!!

johnhannibalsmith
05-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Very nice Lilmegahertz... You have my sympathy and empathy...

46zilzal
05-06-2010, 03:43 PM
They have a great effect on lives which we don't often realize until years after. Glad to hear yours was a positive one.

hazzardm
05-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Condolences :(

Greyfox
05-06-2010, 06:46 PM
A very moving story and certainly my condolences are with you.
My Mom is in her 90's and she prayed to God to take her as she was in considerable pain from a broken rib. She told me that she had lived long enough and it was time. She had outlived all of her friends and husband, my Dad.

Unfortunately, she had a stroke. She can no longer speak or do most activities that are necessary for daily living. So we had to put her in a nursing home. They have been told "Compassionate Care Only" -no extraordinary procedures when her time comes. Her quality of life is poor. But it hasn't been God's will yet to take her.

You only get one Mom and one Dad. Everything else you can have multiples of.
She'll be with you forever. Be grateful for the quality time you had with her.

NJ Stinks
05-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Beautifuly written, Lilmegahertz.

And I agree with Grits. Your Mom will be with you always.

sandpit
05-06-2010, 11:14 PM
There is no greater tribute than when you can bring tears and a smile at the same time...beautifully written.

I lost my mom nearly 20 years ago to a brain hemmorage, far too young at age 53. My son, who was born several years after she died, looks just like her and has the exact same easy, caring disposition...I swear I think God felt sorry for me and gave me him to ease the loss.

cj's dad
05-07-2010, 12:45 AM
Sorry to hear of your mom's passing. Your post is well written and from the heart.

The fact that you posted such a deep and moving tribute to her is proof that she loved you dearly as you do her.

God Bless You in this difficult time.

PaceAdvantage
05-07-2010, 12:57 AM
Brenda, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and feelings during this deeply personal time. You have my sympathies as your grieve the loss of your mom.

The wonderful memories you've shared here with us will no doubt help you through all of this...

ElKabong
05-07-2010, 01:11 AM
Blessings to you and yours.

Market Mover
05-07-2010, 01:11 AM
My mom was 87 and in Feb broke her hip She was a fiercely independant woman that did things her way. To be in a hospital, not moving around was hell for her. She was doing great way ahead of schedule and was supposed to come home on the 5th of this month. But then she got pnemonia while in the hospital in Elk City OK.
Thurs she began to get worse and they took her to Oklahoma City. Mom had always told us to promise to never ever let her be hooked up to machines. She never believed in that. She told us that when the time comes, people should be allowed to go out gracefully. We all promised. Again just a few weeks ago we all swore to her that as it is her wish we would do as she wants. Present day: We went to OKC Fri and my oldest brother had come in from California and met me. We sat with mom for a bit and she was on respirators and they were having trouble keeping her blood pressure up but otherwise stable. So my bro went to their hotel and we came on home. The next morning before dawn my bro calls me to say that mom had a stroke in the early morn hours and was now on life support. We rushed to the hospital and it was horrible. All those machines. Around noon the dr told us mom was going into septic shock because her kidneys had failed and her other organs were going. My bro called everyone but it was not until 430 that we could talk to the youngest as he had to work. After he got all our approvals, he told the dr to do what was her wishes. The other sibs could not make it but to said go ahead and end her suffering. He and I wanted to be alone with her until......you know so our spouses went outside to wait. we talked with her and prayed and then at 520 she took her last breath. We waited a couple mins then had the dr come in to confirm ......I went outside to tell our spouses and told Danny to just put on the car radio. I needed to hear a song, any song before I went back inside to face reality. the Kentucky Derby was on. I kept looking at the clock and as it said 531, they were off and running. I listened to the race. When it was Super Saver that had won, I thought how appropriate. My mother was the best one ever to find the best bargains. She came from nothing and we always had nothing yet mom always managed to save money. Right after the race I took Danny's hand and we went inside to my bro, his wife and my mom. All the time I kept thinking it was a beautiful day. A beautiful day and my mom is gone. Not in her yard like she would have been but gone. We came home I got my things together and went to stay with my brothers and my sister when she got in from Washington. We had her services yesterday at 1000 and visited her graveside telling mom stories the whole week. We got her a mother's day card, all of us kids signed it with a little message to her, and placed it with her so she could have it. My mom was a character. She had the funniest sayings and had a great sense of humor. Her life was no bed of roses, she had to struggle the whole time. She raised 7 kids while dad took off to start a new family. She was a WAC during WWII, and prior to that was a Rosie the Riveter. Yet she always had her humor. One story is the time we took her to visit the cemetary. She liked looking at old tombstones [thats where I got it] and saw one and pointed it out. She said " Why thats Ms so n so. She was the biggest gossip around. Well, [as she points at the headstone] that'll shut her up." Just off the wall remarks. But we loved her for it because that was mom. Her grandchildren really took this hard as they worshipped her. They thought she was the greatest thing ever and loved going over to visit her.
I loved telling about when mom came on chat that one time and was just hilarious. Mom was a true orignal and we will miss her terribly. Mom would always say " Look at old so n so. All they do is float around in a cadillac." The hearse that took her to her final resting place was a cadillac one. All us kids said to mom " well mom...there you go. Floating around town in a cadillac." Mom could take it as well as dish it out. We learned to look hardship in the face and laugh at it because of her.

Thank you all for the prayers, flowers and cards. We really appreciated them. They helped us get thru knowing that mom had people pulling for her and us. Time will heal our hearts and we have all just went thru one of the hardset things in life, but we did it with humor as mom would have done. Thank you. Brenda

God bless your Mom lilmegahertz. Thanks for sharing such a personal story. All the best to you and your loved ones.