PDA

View Full Version : Poetic license gone amuck

46zilzal
05-06-2010, 02:14 PM
I hear that in the new movie Secretariat, Sham somehow wins the Wood Memorial......How can movie makers be that dumb?

Tom
05-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Animal Planet doing it?
They re-wrote the BC.

Spalding No!
05-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Doesn't it make the Secretariat-Sham Triple Crown races more of a "rivalry" that way?

They probably embellished all the financial difficulties Penny Chenery had to overcome, so why not that.

FenceBored
05-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Doesn't it make the Secretariat-Sham Triple Crown races more of a "rivalry" that way?

They probably embellished all the financial difficulties Penny Chenery had to overcome, so why not that.

"I may have to mortgage the farm to enter him in that little ole race, but I have faith in him."

Horseplayersbet.com
05-06-2010, 02:44 PM
I hear that in the new movie Secretariat, Sham somehow wins the Wood Memorial......How can movie makers be that dumb?
Makes it not worth watching.
Here is the 1973 Wood:
Hv6nIZP6plg

Secretariat looked like an average horse in that race.

JPinMaryland
05-06-2010, 02:50 PM
wasnt he bothered by or tried to bite that other horse that was next to him in the stretch?

Its neat that you can tell Sec. from the pronounced bobbing of his head is that uncommon?

cj
05-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Lots of things were either changed, omitted, or embellished for the movie Seabiscuit (no mention of Kayak II, for example) yet I still find it pretty entertaining.

46zilzal
05-06-2010, 03:40 PM
If you read Nack's book, there was MUCHO bad blood between the Cheneries and the owner of Angle Light (Whittaker) so it is not surprising that HE was deleted.

tzipi
05-06-2010, 04:19 PM
I hope that's not true. That's just bad. You know they are then going to talk about Sham winning the Wood Memorial and him being the top horse going in then for a good amount of time in the movie. Doesn't make sense. Not the true story.

Overlay
05-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Secretariat looked like an average horse in that race.
wasnt he bothered by or tried to bite that other horse that was next to him in the stretch?

Didn't he have an abscess under his lip that was bothering him in the Wood, but which then broke prior to the Derby?

JPinMaryland
05-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Man if they cant even get this right...Well I dunno. I saw the Seabiscuit movie and loved it; thought it the best horsie movie I had seen. The story seemed to work you know: there's this horse, there's this old trainer; there's this conflict, there's resolution.

Lots of stories dont really work out on screen because some of these elements are lacking.

bigmack
05-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Later, trainer Lucien Laurin revealed that an abscess inside Secretariat's mouth must have caused the horse serious discomfort, possibly accounting for the defeat.

But some hard-boiled handicappers had another theory: they said Secretariat's problem was his sire wasn't noted for passing along the kind of stamina needed for distance racing. ;) The Wood was 1 1/8 miles, and the Derby was another furlong farther.

The general public didn't want to see their hero dismissed that way. Nevertheless, there was that doubt as Secretariat, Angle Light and Sham all headed to Louisville for the Kentucky Derby.
http://www.secretariat.com/races/Wood_Memorial.htm

46zilzal
05-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Didn't he have an abscess under his lip that was bothering him in the Wood, but which then broke prior to the Derby?
Yes Turcotte said he had no reign on him because of that.

joanied
05-06-2010, 05:25 PM
They did change quite a few things for the Seabiscuit movie...thye also decided War Admiral would be better off if he was 17h rather than the 15h he really was...
but, although I realize this Secretariat movie is going to have many changes from the real true story...changing the Wood winner to Sham seems to go beyond dramatic lic., IMO...is this true...

ZilZal...where did you hear this news? Maybe this is just a rumor...has someone that saw a pre release of the movie giving things away?

46zilzal
05-06-2010, 05:28 PM
ZilZal...where did you hear this news? Maybe this is just a rumor...has someone that saw a pre release of the movie giving things away?

From a person who went to the screening methinks.

http://thoroughbredchampions.com/forum/index.php?topic=42943.0

hazzardm
05-06-2010, 05:40 PM

East coast bias :lol:

joanied
05-06-2010, 05:40 PM

Thanks for the link, Zil...guess they really do have Sham winning the Wood...will they tell why Big Red lost...that owie in his mouth? Hope so.

I got to thinking...in the trailer I saw, they have Penny and Lucien in the stall when the colt was born...jeeze...I didn't like that at all...I suppose we'll hear opinions galore...good, bad and indifferent...I still can't wait to see it.

I doubt they will show all the bad things, all the arguments and fights between Penny & Lucien...and that Riva was Penny's favorite and resented Secretariat for taking the spotlight off Riva...

I just hope all the race scenes are realisitc and fantastic...

JPinMaryland
05-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Do they have the part where Sec. gets up does three somersaults; rakes out all the barn stalls and then breezes 5f all before 7 AM?

tzipi
05-06-2010, 06:05 PM

"The one thing that REALLY got to me though is that Sham somehow wins the 1973 Wood Memorial (poor Angle Light!), setting up some extremely painful boxing style press conferences between Team Secretariat and Team Sham prior to the Derby and Belmont. Real over the top stuff here." Ugh

I guess the real story of Secretariat,Sham and Angle Light, etc wasn't good enough for Disney.

Horseplayersbet.com
05-06-2010, 08:09 PM
In the day of instant research on the internet, it boggles the mind that they would make such a glaring factual error for dramatic purposes. If the real story wasn't good enough, don't make a movie out of it.

Lets face it, probably over 50% of the people who watch it are going to be real racing fans who know the real story.

therussmeister
05-06-2010, 08:53 PM

Use it to your advantage. See the movie with another race fan, and just before the Wood make a bet on whose going to win. ;)

Ejmenz
05-06-2010, 09:47 PM
Changing facts is not acceptable.

Anyone remember which preps Forego used that year?

sandpit
05-06-2010, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the link, Zil...guess they really do have Sham winning the Wood...will they tell why Big Red lost...that owie in his mouth? Hope so.

I got to thinking...in the trailer I saw, they have Penny and Lucien in the stall when the colt was born...jeeze...I didn't like that at all...I suppose we'll hear opinions galore...good, bad and indifferent...I still can't wait to see it.

I doubt they will show all the bad things, all the arguments and fights between Penny & Lucien...and that Riva was Penny's favorite and resented Secretariat for taking the spotlight off Riva...

I just hope all the race scenes are realisitc and fantastic...

I had a long talk with Turcotte one day and he liked Riva Ridge better than Secretariat too...not because he was better, just a more likeable horse, he said.

JPinMaryland
05-07-2010, 12:41 AM
I thought Secretariat was more playful off the track. I realize he was pretty ornery in the heat of battle.