PDA

View Full Version : Ice Box passes on Preakness..

only11
05-05-2010, 06:15 PM
Too bad hes was going to be a huge underlay...

Steve 'StatMan'
05-05-2010, 06:16 PM
Well, maybe he'll be an overlay in the Belmont.

only11
05-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Well, maybe he'll be an overlay in the Belmont.
a better version of Dollar Bill....

Hanover1
05-05-2010, 08:13 PM
No surprise here.....c ya in the Belmont.

Cholly
05-05-2010, 08:42 PM
Zito's a New York guy...I seem to remember once seeing him quoted as syyaing he'd rather win The Belmont than the KY Derby.

JPinMaryland
05-05-2010, 08:54 PM
a better version of Dollar Bill....

or Circular quay

WinterTriangle
05-06-2010, 03:51 AM
Glad to hear Zito convinced La Penta not to run in Preakness. Ice Box not the right horse for that race.

Thomas Roulston
05-06-2010, 05:16 AM
Don't these hard-core closers who run out of ground in the Derby always skip the Preakness?

And with his 3.36 DI and no stamina-wing representation, you can have Ice Box in the Belmont.

Spalding No!
05-06-2010, 07:17 AM
And with his 3.36 DI and no stamina-wing representation, you can have Ice Box in the Belmont.

9 of the last 15 Belmont winners did not have "stamina-wing representation".

Stevie Belmont
05-06-2010, 09:24 AM
I would not compare Ice Box to Circular Quay

Circular Quay was not a distance horse at all.

castaway01
05-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Don't these hard-core closers who run out of ground in the Derby always skip the Preakness?

I can't believe anyone is still referencing dosage index in 2010...has a bigger load of crap ever been thrown at handicappers than that idea?

MaTH716
05-06-2010, 01:50 PM
In my opinion, unless you win the Derby there is really no reason to wheel right back 2 weeks later. Especially if you feel like your horse can go a mile an a half. So I think it's the right move, show up sharp and ready in NY 5 weeks from now.

precocity
05-06-2010, 04:29 PM
if super saver wins the Preakness and ice box beats him in the Belmont we have real quiet and victory gallop all over again? :ThmbUp:

OTM Al
05-06-2010, 04:30 PM
I still would like to know why people in this day and age still believe horses closing well at one distance will do better at a longer distance. The 5 weeks rest give him much more the better chance in the race than his closing ability.

LemonSoupKid
05-06-2010, 04:48 PM
I can't believe anyone is still referencing dosage index in 2010...has a bigger load of crap ever been thrown at handicappers than that idea?

Has anyone read what I've written about Dosage re: what it is and what it isn't?

It's not crap.

JPinMaryland
05-06-2010, 05:37 PM
I would not compare Ice Box to Circular Quay

Circular Quay was not a distance horse at all.

Didnt he win a 9f Pacific Classic or something?

Spalding No!
05-06-2010, 07:18 PM
if super saver wins the Preakness and ice box beats him in the Belmont we have real quiet and victory gallop all over again? :ThmbUp:

Victory Gallop showed up in the Preakness, finishing second again after making an early move on Real Quiet.

Tee
05-06-2010, 07:29 PM
2008 New Orleans Hcp @ 9f.

Didnt he win a 9f Pacific Classic or something?

Zippy Chippy
05-06-2010, 07:51 PM
Victory Gallop showed up in the Preakness, finishing second again after making an early move on Real Quiet.

Ya they were the exacta all 3 races

RockHardTen1985
05-06-2010, 07:54 PM
In my opinion, unless you win the Derby there is really no reason to wheel right back 2 weeks later. Especially if you feel like your horse can go a mile an a half. So I think it's the right move, show up sharp and ready in NY 5 weeks from now.

I agree.... There are other Grade 1's worth the same down the road. If you dont win the Derby, you prep for the Belmont or a bigtime summer campaign. Nothing wrong with Haskell-Travers double.

ghostyapper
05-06-2010, 10:14 PM

If you're horse is in good form why not show up 2 weeks later? The belmont is worth the same but takes a lot more out of the horse that 2 furlongs. That's why we've seen so many tc hopefuls recently because they are able to hold that winning form for 2 more weeks. If the horse runs up the track in the derby then I agree skip the preakness but if he runs a good race then he should be in the starting gate. Look at afleet alex

JPinMaryland
05-07-2010, 12:47 AM
But do you really think Ice Box's closing style is that suitable for the preakness? He's also green and still not switching leads properly. I dont think he's as likely to win this as you think, although as for hitting the board he might have a decent shot despite my negatives.

I guess they figure If they back off this horse's schedule, he could really blossom into something, but he's got a few things to work on.

Java Gold@TFT
05-07-2010, 06:21 AM
He rested 6 weeks before the Derby - Why question a 5 week rest before the Belmont? It's Birdstone Part Deux. Only Super Saver is no Smarty Jones.

JPinMaryland
05-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Hell, looking at the final 1/2 mile fractions from sat; Make Music and Ice Box are nearly identical. I am not sure there is an yobjective way to say which of these is better at staying 12f....

MaTH716
05-07-2010, 09:58 AM
If you're horse is in good form why not show up 2 weeks later? The belmont is worth the same but takes a lot more out of the horse that 2 furlongs. That's why we've seen so many tc hopefuls recently because they are able to hold that winning form for 2 more weeks. If the horse runs up the track in the derby then I agree skip the preakness but if he runs a good race then he should be in the starting gate. Look at afleet alex

I'm not saying my approach/thinking is correct, but my thoughts are that many of these horses are lightly raced and still developing. I just don't see the need to bring them right back 2 weeks after what is usually a very greuling race. Obviously there are situations where I could see it. For instance we all understand what happened to Looking at Lucky. I know he ended up sixth, but if Gomez realized somewhere at the top of the stretch that he didn't have the horse or whatever reason and was able to leave something in the tank, then it would be logical to start him 2 weeks from now.
I just think that there are many (better timed) worth while spots down the road, instead of rushing what could eventually be a special horse (maybe not in this crop) in to a tough spot 2 weeks from now.