PDA

View Full Version : ONE OF THE WORST

bigmack
05-05-2010, 01:20 AM
I've seen some news reports. That oil spill is of biblical proportions.

From what I can tell:

BP is one of the most vile companies in the history of time.
Legislation needs to be passed to thwart this HORRIFIC EVENT
Environmental damage will be UNTOLD.
People will be without work on a huge scale.
Any further talk of offshore drilling is COMPLETELY out of the question........

With time, I'd add-on the other 17.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41353000/jpg/_41353225_7fire-online.jpg

LottaKash
05-05-2010, 01:45 AM
I've seen some news reports. That oil spill is of biblical proportions.

From what I can tell:

BP is one of the most vile companies in the history of time.

Legislation needs to be passed to thwart this HORRIFIC EVENT
Environmental damage will be UNTOLD.
People will be without work on a huge scale.
Any further talk of offshore drilling is COMPLETELY out of the question........

With time, I'd add-on the other 17.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41353000/jpg/_41353225_7fire-online.jpg

Another "Chernobyl" in the making....Perhaps
much worse, for the long haul, I fear....

best,

Tom
05-05-2010, 07:31 AM
BP must be held to the fire, so to speak, for every cent of cost incurred everywhere - it must break them.

Black Ruby
05-05-2010, 07:57 AM
What do you think, would the government tell us if this was caused by an act of terrorism? There are some groups that can profit from this, either monetarily or in furthering their causes.
The oil companies are already jacking up prices, and if further offshore drilling is delayed or banned, they're gonna make more money on the wells they're already working.
Terrorists could have done it to further wreck our economy, the most effective way to destroy our country, but we probably would have heard them taking responsibility by now, unless the government is suppressing those claims.
Environmentalists could have done it to stop future drilling, even at the cost of this massive damage. Alternative energy groups could have done it to further their own businesses.
Not sayin any of these are happened, it may actually have been an accident.

newtothegame
05-05-2010, 08:01 AM
What do you think, would the government tell us if this was caused by an act of terrorism? There are some groups that can profit from this, either monetarily or in furthering their causes.
The oil companies are already jacking up prices, and if further offshore drilling is delayed or banned, they're gonna make more money on the wells they're already working.
Terrorists could have done it to further wreck our economy, the most effective way to destroy our country, but we probably would have heard them taking responsibility by now, unless the government is suppressing those claims.
Environmentalists could have done it to stop future drilling, even at the cost of this massive damage. Alternative energy groups could have done it to further their own businesses.
Not sayin any of these are happened, it may actually have been an accident.

In most of the scenarios you mentioned, BP would of come out quickly and made those claims. Could it have been one of the above scenarios and not yet realized?? I guess anything is possible...although unlikely. Most likely...just an accident!

Black Ruby
05-05-2010, 08:06 AM
I agree that it's most likely just an accident. But I don't think the government would tell us if it weren't. After the uproar about Katrina, both parties would be seen as even more incompetent (as they are) to protect and respond.

Dave Schwartz
05-05-2010, 08:26 AM
What do you think, would the government tell us if this was caused by an act of terrorism?

If it were an act of terrorism, the terrorists would tell us.

Tom
05-05-2010, 08:52 AM
Isn't BP a terrorist for this?

I find it unacceptable that they did not have sufficient contingency plans in place for this. Time to make an example.......no mater what happens to BP.

prospector
05-05-2010, 09:58 AM
i got a kick outta the rino in california.."no off shore drilling"
off shore drilling could save that state..so could opening back up the public lands to mining..the hell with california..

LottaKash
05-05-2010, 10:56 AM
Environmentalists could have done it to stop future drilling, even at the cost of this massive damage. .

Ruby, just a little teasing, mind you, but, I find it funny that you would consider and think that, "environmentalists" would purposely wreck the "environment" in an effort to prevent wrecking the "environment"....

All kidding aside tho, many years ago, I worked for a major-oil company, and was heavily involved in detecting and treating past petroleum spills and leaks on our site, in the area of the "Kill Van Kull" which is located between NJ and Staten Island, NY....

Nature, if left to it's own devices has a way of healing itself, but something as catastrophic as this spill is, is something else...It will take generations upon generations to heal what harm has already been done....Let alone, the plus of, what more of this volatile slime is still being pumped to the surface....Bacteria can eat almost anything, if given enough time for proper digestion and elimination, but "this one" ,a very long time, I'm afraid...

I am saddened and have great fear as to how far reaching an effect this will have for so many years to come... The Gulf will not be the same for a very long time....

I am disgusted with BP for not having any contingency plans in place to trouble shoot a problem as immense as this one is (as if this possibility could never occur)....Shame to BP, and our EPA as well, for not doing "their job" either....Just like the FDA who are paid to protect us and don't, these bureaurocratic leaches and do nothings, have failed us miserably....This is the same EPA, who routinely fine trucking companys as much $25,000.00 for a "ten gallon diesel-leak" that may have occurred from a simple traffic acccident....

best,

skate
05-06-2010, 08:05 PM
BP must be held to the fire, so to speak, for every cent of cost incurred everywhere - it must break them.

Sarah Palin set up (AK.) a Petro-System-Integrity office, when Gov.

Put in place to monitor oil companys and one (BP) was caught for poor maintenance .

Also, the office held Exxon accountable.

They couldn't pay her enough to run "the show".:)

AND and and we have plenty of fuel i8n this country, all forms ,oil, coal, gas etc., not to have to go offshore.

JustRalph
05-06-2010, 09:57 PM
some info and pics

LottaKash
05-06-2010, 10:18 PM
some info and pics

Ralph, thx for posting those amzing photo's and the rig story....:ThmbUp:

I just wish it wasn't about something as ominous and catastophic as in this scenario...:(

best,

ddog
05-06-2010, 10:58 PM
I think some are hyper ventilating over this deal , SO FAR.

The type of drilling they are doing is actually beyond the cutting edge.
There is as much art in this stuff at these depths and pressures as science.

Let's see if they can get some of the leaks plugged and if we are lucky we can contain the oil and keep most of it out of the main currents.

Pray that things stay calm down there and no major storms blow in.

Bp is not a devil in this, there are many players even though their man makes the final calls on the rig/boat.

Cut them some slack for now.

As to "going off shore" , LOOK, they are not blowing millions of dollars a day just to take in a nice sea breeze and salt air. They are going where it makes financial sense to drill at this time.

cj's dad
05-06-2010, 11:43 PM
Frankly, I'm amazed that George Bush hasn't been blamed for this.

ddog
05-06-2010, 11:48 PM
Bush wasn't smart enough to have any part of a deal like this.
This has "Darth Cheney" and his marauders written all over it.

He probably shorted them on the cement for a buck or two! :lol:

bigmack
05-07-2010, 12:17 AM
Not a big fan of E)nvironMesses, too bad about this one.

But don't shit happen sometimes?

I say learn from this and start drilling or stop all coal mines because of environ/death toll reasons.

If a tanker went down crossing over here would we stop all tankers?

LottaKash
05-07-2010, 12:39 AM
[QUOTE=ddog] Cut them some slack for now. QUOTE]

Sure we really should do that, considering this is the worst Oil-related catastropy, since forever....The menace of this oil has only just begun, and it it is not going to turn out alright as some might be thinking....

This should have been planned for, a long time ago....Too Cheap is my guess, they reap the harvest, and now we will have to pay for it...In many more ways than money....You will see, soon enough....

Slack, sure..

skate
05-07-2010, 03:28 PM
The drillers are pushed OFF shore for one reason only.

The Greenies...

Has NOTHING to do with anyone "WANTING" to drill OFF shore.:cool:

It makes no sense, now or ever, to drill OFF shore.

ddog
05-07-2010, 05:02 PM
[QUOTE=ddog] Cut them some slack for now. QUOTE]

Sure we really should do that, considering this is the worst Oil-related catastropy, since forever....The menace of this oil has only just begun, and it it is not going to turn out alright as some might be thinking....

This should have been planned for, a long time ago....Too Cheap is my guess, they reap the harvest, and now we will have to pay for it...In many more ways than money....You will see, soon enough....

Slack, sure..

It is not the worst oil related disaster since whenever, although it could turn out to be that for US here.

ddog
05-07-2010, 05:03 PM
The drillers are pushed OFF shore for one reason only.

The Greenies...

Has NOTHING to do with anyone "WANTING" to drill OFF shore.:cool:

It makes no sense, now or ever, to drill OFF shore.

As usual, you do not have clue one. Post away. But you really don't have clue one.

Do you not think most of the big easy oil was gotten already. You just don't know much of anything.

have a nice one.

skate
05-07-2010, 08:15 PM
ut oh, i guess i pissed her off.

Sorry sweetbread, i forgot your so intellectualized

NJ Stinks
05-08-2010, 11:39 PM
I am disgusted with BP for not having any contingency plans in place to trouble shoot a problem as immense as this one is (as if this possibility could never occur)....Shame to BP, and our EPA as well, for not doing "their job" either....Just like the FDA who are paid to protect us and don't, these bureaurocratic leaches and do nothings, have failed us miserably....This is the same EPA, who routinely fine trucking companys as much $25,000.00 for a "ten gallon diesel-leak" that may have occurred from a simple traffic acccident....

best,

We may find out sooner or later if you forgot to be disgusted at somebody else too.

I heard in a few different places that Cheney and the oil companies decided the shut off device that cost $500,000 wasn't worth the expense in closed door meetings a few years ago. Here's an article from the the Guardian website in England about it. The article quotes the Wall Street Journal but the right wing WSJ didn't finger Cheney. Somebody else did.

Dick Cheney and the oil spill
BY Michael Tomasky
May 3, 2010

As we know from our own comment threads right here on this very blog, right-wingers are expert at taking a few facts from situations that appear to be superficially similar but really aren't upon reflection or closer examination and using them to attack liberals.

And so, in the last few days, the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico has become Obama's Katrina. Um...look, I'm as pro-pelican as the next guy, and obviously I don't mean to gainsay the scope of this environmental catastrophe, which will end up being staggering.

But Katrina killed about 1,500 humans. And no, it's not George Bush's personal fault that they died, either. But I still rate Katrina a far bigger tragedy for that reason.

And now it turns out, according to an environmental lawyer whose interview on Ed Schultz last week is getting a lot of circulation, that this leak may well be traceable in part to...Dick Cheney.

More at the link below:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/michaeltomasky/2010/may/03/usa-dickcheney

Here's a link to what was said on the Ed Schultz show. The environmental lawyer comes on about 3 minutes in:

http://www.georgewashington2.blogspot.com/2010/04/dick-cheney-caused-gulf-oil-disaster.html

newtothegame
05-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Yeah NJ...and Obama and his administration gave BP (this very rig) a pass on safety less then a year ago.....
Obama is also the recipient of BP's largest donations...
So whats your point????
http://www.ketknbc.com/news/pov/obama-gives-bp-a-pass

Tom
05-08-2010, 11:48 PM
Bush had his "truthers" now Cheney has his "leakers?"
NJ, are you a "leaker?" :lol:

bigmack
05-08-2010, 11:56 PM
Here's a link to what was said on the Ed Schultz show. The environmental lawyer comes on about 3 minutes in:
I keep an open mind - I really do...

I witnessed the ES Show in question and saw the environmental lawya'.

I thought, 'How odd, an environmental lawya'.

:kiss:
Put some brown lipstick on that thing

NJ Stinks
05-09-2010, 12:04 AM

Put some brown lipstick on that thing

Yea. I guess I don't blame you for saying that. But even with the lawyer and Ed involved, it may turn out to be true. (shrug)

Robert Goren
05-09-2010, 12:40 AM

Put some brown lipstick on that thing At least they are showing their faces. They can't get a BP offical say anything about the spill.

johnhannibalsmith
05-09-2010, 12:50 AM
At least they are showing their faces. They can't get a BP offical say anything about the spill.

I thought I saw the CEO on just about every news station I watched for days. Who was that funny talking, scraggly dude that they said was the CEO and also a geologist or something?

NJ Stinks
05-09-2010, 01:03 AM
Yeah NJ...and Obama and his administration gave BP (this very rig) a pass on safety less then a year ago.....
Obama is also the recipient of BP's largest donations...
So whats your point????
http://www.ketknbc.com/news/pov/obama-gives-bp-a-pass

Just saw your post.

Very recent work done by Haliburton (sp?) may have triggered the explosion according to reports.

And I thought you guys already said it was the unions and lawyers that bought Obama's election. :rolleyes:

Robert Goren
05-09-2010, 01:09 AM
I thought I saw the CEO on just about every news station I watched for days. Who was that funny talking, scraggly dude that they said was the CEO and also a geologist or something? I saw him too. I saw his mouth move. I didn't hear an answer on what caused this. I didn't hear an answer on why all their safe guards failed. In fact I didn't even hear "I am sorry". Just a bunch of double talk. JMO

bigmack
05-09-2010, 01:12 AM
They can't get a BP offical say anything about the spill.
Very recent work done by Haliburton (sp?) may have triggered the explosion according to reports.
The usual suckers bringing in the latest from the MSNBC nitwork.

BP is the devil & this is Cheney's spill!!

The usual routine over there with the same hucksters & suckers. :lol:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/manrun.gif

boxcar
05-09-2010, 01:19 AM
I saw him too. I saw his mouth move. I didn't hear an answer on what caused this. I didn't hear an answer on why all their safe guards failed. In fact I didn't even hear "I am sorry". Just a bunch of double talk. JMO

Proof positive he's been rubbing and bending elbows with too many politicians for too long. He'd fit right in with the BO administration. :D

Boxcar

johnhannibalsmith
05-09-2010, 01:26 AM
I saw him too. I saw his mouth move. I didn't hear an answer on what caused this. I didn't hear an answer on why all their safe guards failed. In fact I didn't even hear "I am sorry". Just a bunch of double talk. JMO

I guess I just misinterpreted what you meant by "They can't get a BP offical say anything about the spill."

BenDiesel26
05-09-2010, 01:36 AM
And I thought you guys already said it was the unions and lawyers that bought Obama's election. :rolleyes:

Andy Stern himself said it. $60 million and 100,000 campaign workers, including 3,000 who worked on the campaign full time and made over 15 million phone calls. Obama works for the SEIU, he said so himself. So this is no surprise. Try to refute anything I just said. You can't. It's all stone-cold fact. No different then a big corporation NJ Stinks.

NJ Stinks
05-09-2010, 01:56 AM
The usual suckers bringing in the latest from the MSNBC nitwork.

BP is the devil & this is Cheney's spill!!

The usual routine over there with the same hucksters & suckers. :lol:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/manrun.gif

I think I saw the Haliburton repair work story on CNN. One thing is for sure. It's wasn't on FOX News. :rolleyes:

BenDiesel26
05-09-2010, 02:05 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/04/30/conditions-worsen-halting-oil-spills-advance-gulf-coastline/

Many of the more than two dozen lawsuits filed in the wake of the explosion claim it was caused when workers for oil services contractor Halliburton Inc. improperly capped the well -- a process known as cementing. Halliburton denied it.

April 30, 2010

NJ Stinks
05-09-2010, 02:17 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/08/AR2010050803429.html?hpid=topnews&sid=ST2010050800010

What went wrong?
A target of the investigation, according to Rep. Ed Markey (D-Mass.), who chairs the House energy subcommittee and met with oil company officials last week, is the final cementing job on the well. Four employees of Halliburton -- founded by Erle Halliburton in 1924 as the Halliburton Oil Well Cementing Company -- were on Deepwater Horizon. They had overseen the main task of cementing the well just 20 hours before the blowout.

This is done by plunging a slurry of cement down the hollow pipe to the bottom of the well, where the cement passes through a one-way valve, then rises back up through the narrow gap, or annulus, between the steel casing and the rock walls of the hole. This stabilizes the casing in the drill hole and keeps gas and oil from rising through the drill hole to the surface.

Or at least that's the idea. If something goes awry, such as cracks forming in the cement or the cement failing to set properly, gas bubbles can seep upward, and the pressure can begin to build toward calamitous proportions.

BenDiesel26
05-09-2010, 02:30 AM
NJ Stinks: Yes, Fox News covered Halliburton's possible involvement in the oil spill. I was wrong. I was distracted by the MSNBC headline about the Arizona law making it a crime to be an illegal immigrant.

NJ Stinks
05-09-2010, 02:25 PM
NJ Stinks: Yes, Fox News covered Halliburton's possible involvement in the oil spill. I was wrong.

Glad to hear it. :ThmbUp: