PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Act was injured in derby...

JPinMaryland
05-04-2010, 05:22 PM
story here:

http://handicapping.bloodhorse.com/index.asp?source=http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/editorial/article.cgi%3Fid=18397%26print=true%26header=bh

DeanT
05-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Makes sense. A horse of that talent does not usually race like that without a good excuse. It's a shame tho.

Bettowin
05-04-2010, 06:05 PM
An injury that is being investigated? Do they have an idea what or where? Fishy sounding press release to me. Guess we will wait and see.

kenwoodall2
05-04-2010, 08:18 PM
They are probably scheduling a nuclear or MRI test for a joint injury.

JustRalph
05-04-2010, 10:00 PM
I expected him to stop at about 8.7F

I will have to watch the video again to see where he stopped running

rastajenk
05-04-2010, 10:16 PM
I think it was somewhere down the stretch...the first time.

Robert Fischer
05-04-2010, 11:07 PM
been a rough couple of races for the overrated son of Awesome Again. Hopefully he is OK, and gets back to full health soon.

Robert Goren
05-04-2010, 11:43 PM
He certainly was not the 19th best horse in that race.JMO

kenwoodall2
05-04-2010, 11:46 PM
" the 3-year-old Awesome Again colt soon would undergo a ****nuclear scintigraphy scan at Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital in Lexington. Ludt said Awesome Act had “no obvious injury,” but could possibly just be body sore or have bone bruises."
"Advances in veterinary medicine, however, are making it possible to detect issues before they become apparent to even the most practiced hand and eye.

"In the early 1990s, results from Stover's team showed that a new technique called nuclear scintigraphy could be used to detect bone remodeling in thoroughbreds before catastrophic injury. In nuclear imaging, radioisotopes are detected with a gamma camera. Areas that "light up" on a nuclear image indicate increased physiological activity. A screening facility, sponsored by the Dolly Green Foundation, was instituted at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia. Arthur has directed it since 1993.

In that time, more than 6,000 horses have been screened for bone changes that warn of impending fractures. Horses are referred for screening by their attending veterinarians.

"Horses that would have broken down and been put down 10 years ago are now coming back to race, and they race very well," said Arthur. He recounted two cases of young horses that were diagnosed with stress-related remodeling in the tibia, the long bones of the upper leg. With proper rest, both horses recovered and went on to win Horse of the Year titles.)
I do not lnow what % of claimers would get the same expensive scan.

CincyHorseplayer
05-05-2010, 05:47 AM
That's where my money went!!I wondered why he ran so poorly.His pedigree loved the slop,distance wasn't completely a concern,had a nice 6f work,I thought he was perfect.This is my 2010 version of Any Given Saturday.Talented horse sitting on a big one.Just not the first Saturday in May!

joanied
05-06-2010, 07:40 PM
It's a shame...hope the sacn shows no serious damage...I was very surprised he ran so poorly...the only good thing is that he didn't break down...hope he gets back soon...I figure he'd be winning his fair share this year.