PDA

View Full Version : Where the hell is the Undercover Boss?

JustRalph
05-03-2010, 07:32 PM
http://www.horseraceinsider.com/blog.php/west-coast-wash/comments/05042010-how-to-humiliate-2-derby-jocks-in-1-easy-lesson/#comments

Sadly this kind of crap probably happens all the time.......

I know from experience it happens in Nascar sometimes. But they try to treat their old drivers with respect.....they just fail sometimes.

This probably is a corporate culture kind of thing.........sad though.

kenwoodall2
05-03-2010, 07:41 PM
According to the article it sounds liked the organizer goofed.

BluegrassProf
05-03-2010, 09:44 PM
According to the article it sounds liked the organizer goofed.That well may be. But use the Musial analogy: if an organizer called looking for tix, would you - as an administrator - flatly refuse?

If so, they're probably hiring in Louisville. Godspeed. :ThmbUp:

kenwoodall2
05-03-2010, 10:12 PM
"after *****several days of runarounds, organizers weren't told by Churchill until 2 p.m. on Oaks day that the retired riders and their companions (Velasquez's wife and Franklin's squeeze) could have tickets. In the same breath, in a please-read-my-lips tone, Churchill told organizers that there wouldn't be any tickets for the riders on Derby day."
The organizers contacted CD "several days" prior to the Oaks and Derb y day wanting tickets? Kind of at the last moment? I do not know whenthe tickets sell out. Maybe someone can answer that; But in any case, the organizers wanting to buy tickets that sonnprior to the events may be thereason the jockeys and wives could not be accomodated. I assume there is no issue with the Gakt House itself.

kenwoodall2
05-03-2010, 10:23 PM
I emailed Dempsy travel ans asked them to email me the answer as to why the jockeys could not attend the races. Itinery says those who pay for the full tour go.

kenwoodall2
05-04-2010, 09:58 PM
RE: 2010 jockeys‏
Sent: Tue 5/04/10 5:51 PM
To: 'ken woodall' (kenwoodallpromos@msn.com)
Cc: janedempsey@earthlink.net

Hello,

Please excuse my delay – I was flying back from Louisville to Los Angeles and had a Doctor appointment (please also excuse my typing but I broke my shoulder 2 weeks ago).

I assume you saw Bill Christine’s column. The story is there - let me preface with the fact that my family has handled a trip to the Derby for 64 years and I grew up with racing personalities – many of the older Kentucky Derby jockeys, I knew personally. Please see my web site at www.kentuckyderbytours.com

I started a joint venture with the Galt House, the Kentucky Derby Museum and myself after hearing about the “Gallop to Glory” exhibit at the Galt House. I had always wanted to see the jockeys honored and put together a way for them to come and be honored numerous times Derby week. The Mint Jubilee and now the Julep Ball have also honored the jockeys that have come back for “Gallop to Glory”. In 2006, I set up a trip for Ira “Babe” Hanford winner of the 1936 Kentucky Derby (YES 1936) and John Sellers, 1961 Kentucky Derby. They came to Louisville, were honored at the “Gallop to Glory” with a handprint ceremony and reception. They did oral histories with the Kentucky Derby Museum and attended the Museums Oaks and Derby parties. “Babe” brought his wife and older brother, Carl Hanford, trainer of 5 time horse of the year Kelso. John’s son, sister and nephew came with him but Oaks Day he ended up in the hospital for a minor problem and was not released until the Day after Derby. Churchill said they did not have tickets for me to buy for them for Oaks or Derby that year and ironically, the Hanford’s were very comfortable with staying and watching at the Derby Museum as they worried about being knocked over in the crowds – Carl was 91 and “Babe” was 88.

After that year, I spoke to the Churchill Downs offices and was told they would make sure there were Oaks and Derby seats available for me to purchase from now on for the jockeys as I planned to go chronologically and get the living jockeys in the exhibit and have oral histories done with the Kentucky Derby Museum. While, we only found out the location and type seats on the Wednesday/Thursday of Derby week, there was no problem in 2007 with Bill Boland and Ray York or in 2008 with Braulio Baeza and Dave Erb or in 2009 with Gustavo Avila. Milo Valenzuela’s handprints were done in Arcadia (he was too ill to travel) and I shipped them. Sadly, Bill Hartack and Henry Moreno passed away while I was in the process of bringing them.

The only clarification I would say is that there might be confusion on a timeline for the seating request. I started the seating request in early April with emails and phone calls (just as I had in 2006-7-8 and 9). This year I called at least 10 times before April 23 and 2 times per day after April 23rd. I also emailed as I was not receiving and acknowledgement. It was confirmed on 4/23 by a staffer that Churchill Downs had my requests since early April. I personally sat in the Executive Office in a wheelchair (broken shoulder) for almost one hour on Wednesday, April 28th and I had a friend sit there on Thursday, April 29th for her lunch hour – the story was that they were still working on it and please be patient. I was to leave and they had my phone number and would call. On Oaks Day after waiting 30 minutes and at 2 PM, my assistant was told that we could now buy Oaks Day tickets but there were now no Derby Day tickets. She called me and waited another 20 minutes and when they did not come out again, left the office. To be honest, Churchill Downs did returned my phone calls one day - on Monday April 26 at 1:02 PM Los Angeles time but I was flying to Louisville – I called after checking messages but like the other times, I received no return call.

Needless to say, if I had known, I would have purchased tickets on the open market for the jockeys’. In fact I did call 3 ticket brokers on Oaks Day and was told they did not have any Derby seats left. Also as a side note, I have never used the jockeys participating in some of my Kentucky Derby junket events as a sales tool. No participants knew about the jockeys until they arrived in Louisville (some may have thought I was continuing to bring the jockeys but no one was sure).

I cherish the stories we heard and the memories of all these Kentucky Derby winning jockeys being honored and seeing their friends Derby week.

Best Wishes,

Jane Dempsey

(310) 392-3366

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Monday, May 03, 2010 7:22 PM
To: janedempsey@earthlink.net
Subject: 2010 jockeys

I post on the horseplayer's website Paceadvantage, and we would like your explaination of why this year's 2 handprint ceremony jockeys were not able to go to the Oaks and Ky Derby races. Thank you.

BluegrassProf
05-04-2010, 11:41 PM
Not that the contents are particularly out-of-the-ordinary, but just curious: is Ms. Dempsey aware that you're posting that email on a public forum? If not, you should perhaps consider paraphrasing. I'm also not sure that such an email would be one I'd send; you don't want to sound like you're harrassing (not that you are, though simply demanding an explanation may not be the best course of action...it may be misconstrued as giving a hard time, even if your intentions are completely benevolent). Just my two cents, not to sounds harpish. ;)

Re: the response and events: This is the Kentucky effing Derby. It's not like we're talking about giving away damned diamonds and serving unicorn hamburgers...this is a very simple request for some folks that made an indellible mark on the racing history - if the home of the most famous race in American history won't honor these characters, who in the heck will? Is it any surprise that our collective racing memory spans about 10 years? Churchill folks should have tickets for these sorts of occassions set aside to begin with, and if they don't (which would be almost unimaginable, and I absolutely can't buy that they simply ran out), should be bending over backwards to accomodate these folks.

They may not have the star power of a Hilton or Trump, but if we're trying to give a sense of history to Derby-goers, damn...it doesn't get much better than this, particularly when we're talking about including individuals and businesses in the Louisville community. And certainly, you have the issue of respect to the athletes that should certainly be shown by institutions like Churchill that were built, quite literally, on the backs of their exceptional efforts and accomplishments.

It sounds like this woman made several more attempts than she should've had to, and Churchill - unsurprisingly - dropped the ball repeatedly. Certainly, she should've been asking in, say, February; again, problematic though that may surely be, it's really neither here nor there...if anything, Churchill should be MORE equipped to deal with these situations in April (with respect to personnel, scheduling, ticket and seating capacities and capabilities, etc.).

Just another indication of racing burning itself out like a rocket. What little drawing power it has - Derby, for example - is lost on the bulk of the sport. The more we force the public to see racing through the "this is the only party in town, ever" glasses, the less progress we make.

cj's dad
05-04-2010, 11:45 PM
I would assume that once an E-mail is sent to someone that the "someone" becomes the owner of that document.

BluegrassProf
05-04-2010, 11:49 PM
I would assume that once an E-mail is sent to someone that the "someone" becomes the owner of that document.And you would be somewhat mistaken (though that's completely normal...depends very much on how you ask the question, and in some cases, which court ;)).

If it's not specified, there's no inherent presumption that the contents of the email is to be publicly visible, unlike, say, writing an editorial; it's very much a question of privacy, rather than confidentiality. But besides that, it's very much an issue of courtesy.

Again, it's no bother to me, but I'm on the sidelines. Just trying to help. :ThmbUp:

Back to the famous Churchill flop....

Robert Goren
05-04-2010, 11:58 PM
You would think that anyone connected(jockeys, trainers, owners, grooms, etc) with a past Derby winner would automatically be invited and given tickets to every derby. Nothing surprise me any more when it comes to rudeness and stupidity by race track management. I wonder if Pimlico and Belmont are also so callous. JMO

kenwoodall2
05-05-2010, 12:04 AM
"From: ken woodall [mailto:kenwoodallpromos@msn.com]
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2010 7:22 PM
To: janedempsey@earthlink.net
Subject: 2010 jockeys

****I post on the horseplayer's website Paceadvantage****, and ****we would like your explaination**** of why this year's 2 handprint ceremony jockeys ****were not able to go**** to the Oaks and Ky Derby races. Thank you."
This was my original post to her, explauining that I post and WE ON PA would like her explaination. This is why she sent such a long and detailed email back, and made sure to mention that in a previous year one jockey was in the hospital and could not attend. She was well aware I intended to post her reply. In thanking her for her response I also mentioned that some member travel for certain horse racing events, and she should join as a member of PA!

BluegrassProf
05-05-2010, 12:12 AM
Hey man, whatever works for you. Just my public service for the day.

Don't want to get too off-topic...serious, embarassing issue @ Churchill that should be discussed. Allons y. :ThmbUp: