PDA

View Full Version : 4th at the Meadows

Augie16
05-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Sir Caviar in the Meadows fourth at 5-1. The only question is whether The Master lets him trot. A performance like last week wins this by open lengths.

Augie16
05-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Sir Caviar in the Meadows fourth at 5-1. The only question is whether The Master lets him trot. A performance like last week wins this by open lengths.

Not today. Mr. Zendt sits last and passes a couple in the lane. Not real aggressive today. He could of had a little bit of that $125 winner though. After all it is the Meadows.

RaceTrackDaddy
05-03-2010, 09:28 PM
AS you know, Zendt is a tough one to catch; whether the master or the kid, "they ain't always going" as they say.

I have to also use a phrase by none other than Leon Cable who at the Club and was asked about his horse Miadio,,,"you gotta bet WHEN I BET ME!"...

That is the problem with harness racing. They get too many starts per year and can choose their time to send them down the pike. Flat racing is always trying to win and rarely use a race as a training mile.

nice to see you posting dude!
rtd

RaceTrackDaddy
05-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Augie
You would think Zendt would of had more trot coming home than a 29:2 last 1/4.

The most important stat on the page is 6.20 (the odds)...make that 10/1 then go to the window.

Take no prisoners with your picks tomorrw at the ghettos!!!!
rtd

Augie16
05-03-2010, 10:01 PM
The thing that irks me is last week the horse was trotting his guts out, first over toe to toe in a very good mile and today just no attempt to win the race at all.

RaceTrackDaddy
05-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Another thing about that race that irks me is the fact that Kris Rickassert did not want any parts of the front where he has been racing all year and Charlie who never leaves decides to wire them.

I have my own conspiracy theories on the Meadows and their lack of secure enviorments for racing.

What if they brought both horse out of the backside to the race paddock but Charlie brought Churchstreet and Rickassert brought down Key's horse....all the right horses entered but NOT WITH THE CORRECT HEAD NUMBERS.

It would explain the reverse method of racing on both horses who then in turn would of been actually racing on their own preferred style.

You do recall that more than one or twice the Meadows raced the wrong horse under the wrong name..some 2 yr old filly still carries that 2:00 lifetime mark in the breeding lines when in fact that race was won by a 4 year stallion that won the Invite the two previous weeks...

THe more that places changes, the more I find it stays the same..
rtd

Augie16
05-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Good point RTD cause they raced as if they were opposites today. Maybe Churchstreetstation did win and paid $125 as opposed to the 4/5 price that he went off at. Love your thoughts there, and that would truly be a bad beat if you had bet the false Churchstreet at 4/5 and the real one won and paid $125. I know that you other posters say that would be impossible but Daddy and I have seen even stranger things occur in our near 40 years and hundreds of thousands of races there.

Augie

RaceTrackDaddy
05-03-2010, 10:47 PM
For anyone who does not know it, the Meadows has a reputation of some security issues. When they had the show race paddock attached to the grandstand, the public could be both outside and above the paddock watching the horses enter...they Paddock Judge has the responsibility to check all horses entering to make sure they are who they are.

Many times the judge would just ask who do you have there and the groom would just say the tatoo number and name. The judge would just check out the clipboard and move on without looking at the horse for the tatoo...

One trainer had two horses entered (Clyde Wells I think his name was)...anyway one was a nw of 2 and the other an older brother nx 4....as fate had it, each brother raced in each others race. No one from the race office down to the paddock caught the mistake. It was the owner/trainer himself that went to the judges the next day as he found both of his horses in the wrong stall back in the barn. His groom mistook the nw of 2 for nx of 4 and then brought down the other. That mistake was posted in the program the following week.

A year before or maybe longer, there was a benefit day raced at the track for some charity (think it was Western School/Hospital) and they had Quaker stake races held but no wagering. Backthen there was a person who I can only say is still working at the Meadows but in a high management position, pointed out to be to check this filly on the post parade and asked me if I can see something that should not be there? Well, the horse (with a long dong) standing about 16 hands high was listed as Towner's Crystal. Well, that filly with a willy went wire to wire in what I could say looked similar to Popfinger's ride in the movie EASY MONEY trying to slow down the horse. Towner's Crystal went to the breeding shed with a mark of 2:00 flat as a 2yrpf at the Mea. If any horses that display that in lineage, beward. The horse that actually won the race was Ultimate Hanover, winner of more than one Invitation Pace races. True story though I think that Mea management employee will have to deny it, but he knows it is true.

Now for those not familar with the above, you have the whole story.
rtd

RaceTrackDaddy
05-03-2010, 11:18 PM
For the sake of agrumentative reasons, I think I should post up the past performance lines of both horses in Race 4 Mea (may 3rd).

Check their lines against the lines that appear above this thread to compare and contrast the reasoning. I did notice that this was the first time for the favorite to ever make a break while the longshot has a mistep or two on his...you be the judge..

LottaKash
05-03-2010, 11:41 PM
Good point RTD cause they raced as if they were opposites today. Maybe Churchstreetstation did win and paid $125 as opposed to the 4/5 price that he went off at. Love your thoughts there, and that would truly be a bad beat if you had bet the false Churchstreet at 4/5 and the real one won and paid $125. I know that you other posters say that would be impossible but Daddy and I have seen even stranger things occur in our near 40 years and hundreds of thousands of races there.

Augie

Augie I feel for you, as I was rooting for your hoss to make it first across the line....But, here is my take on this race..

Firstly, personally I don't feel that "Churchstretstation" was a phony fave...This 4yo only had 1-start as a 2yo, and only 5-starts as as 3yo, so obviously this guy has had some physical problems and he is getting started late to the dance....This horse has "arrived", in fact in two of his last 3-starts were both "extended win" wins, meaning that;, an extended win horse is one who not only had the lead in midstretch, but by the time he reached the wire he was opening up lengths on the crew that he beat in those races....This is a "very powerful" type of win, and it may look just like a normal big-win, but an extended win, is just so much more impressive, and we must always fear those types, until they find their upper limit in ability...

As for the winner, if you notice, he to has had physical and breaking problems, but in his defense, he was making a, debateable lateral move in his race classifications, in that, he was going from a nw6,500-L/5 to the w2/Nw4 class...And, in that race he "did" run a gutty second to "Oatmeister" who is heads and shoulders above these in this race today...In fact American Journey (the winner) had on only 2-wins in his 23 starts as a 3yo, still, he earned $41K in the process...This also is a "New Horse" (NH), and I believe that for the most part his breaking and gait problems have been solved....That is why he was well meant in this race, and he did race quite strongly on the engine, to prove as much....I think he took the whole field by surprise, including the stable connections...haha...I took a serious look at him but without any good gate speed showing on his listed past performances, and his propensity to break strid often, I dismissed him as well....Too bad, what a price >>>$125.00 yikes !

AS for your pick, his first start back since Nov. 09 was a doozy...A very strong and well meant running line....No fault there at all...He was a serious player in this race....But, with trotters in particular, too much too soon in a comeback race often has a telling effect on a young horse, and in this "scenario" having to deal with the justified fave, and the quick-zooming out off the car by the winner, it was no wonder to me then, that Sir Caviar had all he could do to just keep his position, given the start of that race....I mean Sir Caviar has an affinity to run faster early, but he is by no means a speed demon out of the gate, he just knows how to get good position....I don't think W. Zendt is the greatest driver in the world either nor Kris Rickert (on the breaking fave) for that matter....So, when they turned the last corner, your horse was way out of position to reach contention, and he had all he could do just to close well, which he did....Augie, imo, when a front running type of horse doesn't get on or near the lead early in a race, he is out of his comfort zone and then he is really up against it coming from way off the pace, and that is exactly what happened in this event....Perhaps next out Sir Caviar will find a better field and a pace scenario that better fits his style of going....Hey, it was just another race....

As for the 4/5 breaking just past the 5/8's, well he is another lightly raced 4yo, that was so full of himself in this race, that he just tripped himself right out of the race...He was making a big and mean move just before he went on his break....He is a horse on the way up....I will watch closely, he will go much higher I think...

Sorry for your loss...

best,

LottaKash
05-04-2010, 12:00 AM
For Augie and RTD, I don't want you to believe that I am trying to teach you anything about picking winners...This was just my take on "this" race, and that is exactly how I sized up the race today, and why I didn't wager on it.....

I know I tend to elaborate a bit too much at times, but, I do it, not only because I love to, but mostly it is for the "ones" who are not as far along as we may be, in our handicapping....I know that there are people out there who are reading these posts, and I believe some of them are always wanting and willing to learn new things about picking winners...They are the sport's future, and I want them to win too, just not as much as me...haha...

When I was younger, I do believe that I would be watching this forum like a hawk, it we had it back then, that is....

best,

Augie16
05-04-2010, 07:01 AM
Thanks for your thoughts and insights. We will keep an eye on the horses and drivers involved and their next couple of performances.

RaceTrackDaddy
05-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Hey LottaKash
I appreciate your insight as well as anyone willing to post up. The problem with Augie and me is that we have seen thousands of these races at the Meadows over the years (so many I dare not count). One thing we learned very very early in the process was nicknames are earned and not given.

Bill Zendt's nickname is the "Master". Been that way for decades. His dad Wibur had not a large stable but was always powerful. One addage that I learned back then was "Never claim one of the Zendt horses as you can not improve them". The Master might be on old legs now a days but he still can get one home when he desires. He loves to gamble too.

Augie and I used to play basketball with these guys on dark days of the Meadows. One thing for certain was that if the team The Master bet on Monday night football lost (and he always told us while playing basketball), his barn would be on fire the next racing day. You could take that to the bank.

Master's wife is Walter Dunn's daughter. She can drive with most of these guys at the track and can out train most of them. She is the valued key to their small operation. If any of their entries looks to have a shot, I would have little problem open up the wallet and walking to the window.

Bill Fahy is the same way in my estimation of his entries that hit the track. Like the Master, they need not the money, they love this game we call racing and like the Zendt's, they love the trotters! From breaking them in to selling them after the stake season is over as a three year old, they keep them improving. Both of these guys have been leading drivers in the BP era (Before Palone).

Thank you again for your thoughts Kash!
rtd

LottaKash
05-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Hey LottaKash
I appreciate your insight as well as anyone willing to post up. The problem with Augie and me is that we have seen thousands of these races at the Meadows over the years (so many I dare not count). One thing we learned very very early in the process was nicknames are earned and not given.

Bill Zendt's nickname is the "Master". Been that way for decades. His dad Wibur had not a large stable but was always powerful. One addage that I learned back then was "Never claim one of the Zendt horses as you can not improve them". The Master might be on old legs now a days but he still can get one home when he desires. He loves to gamble too.

Hey RTD, I see where you are coming from on the Zendt's...In fact on my first visit to Freehold Raceway, back in the mid 60's (yikes !), when they still had the old "wooden grandstand" and they ran the horses 6-across...On my first bet ever there, I won and kashed, on guess who ?, that's right, Wilbur Zendt....He and Jack Quinn were my two favorite drivers at that track back then....

Bill Zendts horse's seem to keep their "good form cycle" longer than most, unfortunately, from a bettor's perspective tho, that 6% win number keeps me at bay, and based on the facts, I don't have as much faith in the "master" as you do, these days....Still, I have kashed a time or two on his drives...And Brian Zendt doesn't do much better, he is only a 9-percenter...

I see that the whole family is still involved in the game....The owners of Sir Caviar, are Bill, Wilbur, and Leslie (the trainer).....Do you know how "Leslie" is related to Bill, Wilbur and Brian...?....To be honest, theses days, I don't know if "Leslie" is a gal or a guy...:jump:

best,

RaceTrackDaddy
05-04-2010, 06:12 PM
You brought up some good memories there when you mentioned Jack Quinn's name...I waited on his table down in the Adios Room during one of our stake weeks back in the early 70's...He wanted the receipe to Harry M Stevens Clam Chowder. I talked to the cook in the kitchen and he told me he would on one condition. If I got a tip, he wanted half of it.. Mr Quinn got the receipe and I got $20....and the cook took $10. Back then I was working for about $20 a night in both tips and wagers added together so it was a good night. He threw in a business card good for one free night at a hotel he owned (or at least he said he did) in Canada. I was looking for it about 10 years ago when his name came then but I probably threw it away some night.

Long lead in to the lineage..lol
Wilbur is the father of Bill.
Bill is the father of Brian.
Bill is the husband of Leslie Dunn.
Brian is the brother in law to Dave Palone.
Dave Palone married Bill Zendt's daughter.
Leslie has a sister Lisa who is married to Leo Harvey.
Leslie was one of 4 daughters of which 3 survive. Think the one I missed is Lori. One was killed by Walter Dunn's construction vehicles. She was married to Dan Ross.

That is just part of the breeding at the Meadows. We can add much much more but my fingers would be so tired.

rtd

LottaKash
05-04-2010, 06:19 PM
That is just part of the breeding at the Meadows. We can add much much more but my fingers would be so tired.

rtd Yikes RTD,! thru the years,there must have been quite a crowd when they were getting the picture's taken....

Good stuff...

best,

RaceTrackDaddy
05-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Yikes RTD,! thru the years,there must have been quite a crowd when they were getting the picture's taken....

Good stuff...

best,

You would think but that would only draw attention,,,,they like it on the down low....but I bet the holidays and weddings are something for the history books!

judd
05-05-2010, 06:03 AM
what ever happened to lew keith & wife cheryl
dale russell ?

Augie16
05-05-2010, 06:51 AM
Lew Keith went into the building of custom homes in Washington County. I think that he somehow hooked up with Ed Ryan as a supplier of construction materials. Last that I heard Dale Russell was alive and well back down in Fla.

Augie16
05-05-2010, 09:23 PM
How about Mr. Zendt's drive and $60 mutual in tonight's first. That's another reason why they call him the master. He cashed and you didn't.

RaceTrackDaddy
05-05-2010, 09:33 PM
You knew he was live as soon as the gate opened and he shot across for the hole cutting someone out,,forget who....he still has it but uses it when he thinks no one else would use him....

Loose Lines Keith and Cherry Slater/Keith made a team..his first wife Susan did all the work in the barn while Loose Lines got all the credit...Cherry was a trainer herself prior to Keith getting divorced...between LL and Cherry, give me Cherry in the bike. She can drive her husband on any day of the week. She was one of the two best female athletes ever to race over the Meadows...Ed McNeight;'s former wife, forget her name now,,,might be Lori...she was the goalie on the USA Women's Hockey team years back.

The Master now will go back to sleep and will awake sometime near Adios Day if not Adios Day. Now I provided a segway to bring up Zendt's Adios Day record of overnight horses..lol

RaceTrackDaddy
05-05-2010, 09:34 PM
what ever happened to lew keith & wife cheryl
dale russell ?

Last I saw of Dale and Mary Ann Russell was at Pompano Park a few years back.

RaceTrackDaddy
05-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Hey Augie

Was looking over tomorrow's pp's at the ghettos and your boy drew the outside Nine hole in the last race.

The master has every reason to scratch out given the post and race but if there happens to be a carryover in the super, the Master just might be the one to take the pool down.

Have to see if he stays around to drive this one tomorrow afternoon....
rtd

Augie16
05-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Sir Caviar is taking some money today from the 9 hole. Is Mr.Zendt in a racing mood? We will soon find out.

RaceTrackDaddy
05-10-2010, 05:04 PM
I played him..
Ex 69/2369
and 2369/69
damm 6 broke...hoping for a two hole trip for the 9 behind the 6..
next time..

Augie16
05-10-2010, 06:06 PM
He is going to score. I think that today was just an instructional on leaving the gate from an outside post.

RaceTrackDaddy
05-10-2010, 06:21 PM
He is setting 'em for something....they would of gotten rid of him after the 3 yr stake season was over but they kept him,,,,,might a late closer series at Moh in a couple weeks...would not surprise me to see him cash up there...

THink they did it last year or two years ago and paid like 20/1,,,,forget which trotter they sent up but was racing in the upper levels here...

going to drop him in my stable mail as I do not want to miss 'em

got a couple bet backs at Tioga for the weekend...will post them once they drop in the box