PDA

View Full Version : But Joe . . . . your horse didn't belong

Grits
05-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Joe, he was beaten over 54 lengths!!! :lol: And you're saying the distance wasn't good enough???:lol:

Say what, Joe??

Stick with baseball, Joe, PUHLEEZ.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/01/AR2010050100807_2.html

"I was excited. I get excited every year watching the race, and to have a horse in there made it that much more exciting," said Torre, who watched the race in his office before the Dodgers hosted Pittsburgh. "We weren't sure the distance was good enough, but the fact that we were in there was really what our goal was.

"The one thing I found is that you keep trying to keep track of him. Initially, it was OK, but then they changed the camera angle and my horse wasn't in the top six or seven. So it was tough to keep track."

Homeboykris went off at odds of 25-1 and finished 54 1/2 lengths behind the winner Super Saver.

horses4courses
05-02-2010, 10:09 PM
With all the difficulties racing finds itself in, the last thing that racing fans should do is discourage potential owners.

Joe Torre may know baseball much better than horse racing, but cut him some slack.

Was nice to see a horse named after Don Zimmer winning earlier on the card.
One of the nicest guy that ever placed a bet on the races..... :ThmbUp:

toussaud
05-02-2010, 10:16 PM
"hey you stupid no nothing owner, wow you are stupid... why aren't you spending more money at the sales, what's wrong with the game of horse racing? Did I tell you that you were stupid?"

that's pretty much what people say to most owners

PaceAdvantage
05-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Actually, the stupid ones are the folks who were responsible for this horse going off at only 25-1.

Joe owns the horse. He can do whatever he wants with him. No problem there.

lamboguy
05-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Actually, the stupid ones are the folks who were responsible for this horse going off at only 25-1.

Joe owns the horse. He can do whatever he wants with him. No problem there.people can put up there money and enter the horses and run in the race. this race was full of horses that didn't belong in it. there were plenty that looked physically bad before the race. i know baffert got the breaks of a hustler and had horses knock him to kingbucktoo and his horse was gonzo. i am not taking anything away from the horse that won the race, he was truly great and got a great ride. i for one would have rather seen a 10 horse field and a more competetive race than what we had.

horses4courses
05-02-2010, 10:44 PM
people can put up there money and enter the horses and run in the race. this race was full of horses that didn't belong in it. there were plenty that looked physically bad before the race. i know baffert got the breaks of a hustler and had horses knock him to kingbucktoo and his horse was gonzo. i am not taking anything away from the horse that won the race, he was truly great and got a great ride. i for one would have rather seen a 10 horse field and a more competetive race than what we had.

That's what happens when you get a Mine That Bird, or a Giacomo, every so often. People get Derby dreams....can you blame them?
19 horses had to lose yesterday.

Grits
05-02-2010, 11:18 PM
I stated last week, I couldn't bust someone's dreams, and I still can't, though, this had me laughing--Joe, needs to think about his wording--"We weren't sure the distance was good enough?"

Wonder what distance he might think better? A two mile steeplechase to give him time to get into his best stride?

Now, having noted this, watch him come back in the Belmont. Joe's old Steinbrenner address.

WinterTriangle
05-03-2010, 02:26 AM
Entering a "lightweight" in a race because you have a dream and are enjoying the HECK out of being a racehorese owner doesn't bother me at all.

Trainers and owners who are consistently putting badly cared for cripples in races, every day, out on the tracks in america, bothers me.

I save my sarcasm and disgust for them.

I'm sure Joe Torre's horse will be well cared for, and not put out on the track to run injured. He looked the picture of health yesterday.

joanied
05-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Joe Torres isn't a horseman...plus, in interviews, folks mis use words all the time...I'm sure what he meant was that the distance would be too much for Homeboy...he just didn't find the right words, which, like I said, happens all the time.
:faint:

Stevie Belmont
05-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Horse is working well--It's the Kentucky Derby

Did he have much of a shot? Not really...

But how can anyone fault an owner or owners for taking a shot?

Did the horse have the graded earnings?

As long as they all came back in order--god bless them

Tom
05-03-2010, 11:28 AM
I see no good reason to allow more than 14 horses run in the Derby.
Probably 12 would be better.

Horses like Joe's belong at Bat Day thrilling the kiddies with free rides.
I saw those odds and though "Wow! The fools are out today!"

Greyfox
05-03-2010, 11:35 AM
I see no good reason to allow more than 14 horses run in the Derby.
Probably 12 would be better.

Horses like Joe's belong at Bat Day thrilling the kiddies with free rides.
I saw those odds and though "Wow! The fools are out today!"

The more horses the better.
Look at the payouts.

Light
05-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Torre is a pretty avid racing fan. One day when he was managing the Yankees and was scheduled to play the A's the next day,he was at GGF in the Turf club with a few other Yankees,betting the races.Everyone at the track was buzzing about it and I was there,but didn't go to see him. I don't get gaga over famous people. They're just people like everyone else.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/27/sports/27torre.html

Tom
05-03-2010, 03:10 PM
They're just people like everyone else.

......with really big hats!

rastajenk
05-04-2010, 10:37 PM
i for one would have rather seen a 10 horse field and a more competetive race than what we had. More competitive? How could that possibly be so? The highest priced favorite ever, more 15-1's than you can process, the fewest number of absolute tosses ever....and the clincher, with a furlong to go and ten of 'em strung out across the track, who could look at that mess and say, "Oh yeah, 4-2-10, I got that one goooood..." Nobody! Final beaten lengths don't tell the tale. They could run that race 50 times and get 50 different results.

I think, anyway. A ten-horse Derby field would look just like thousands of other races a year, and not have any closer finishes than what we usually get with the big fields.

Robert Fischer
05-04-2010, 10:44 PM
part of the appeal is 15-20 rivals. Part of the challenge is overcoming the trouble, part of the so called "class" is overcoming the pace or trip stressors (aside from physical contact- i'm thinking more along the lines of pace setup).

I don't WANT to see the 8 consensus horses running, with some speed horse uncontested, wiring the field for a big trainer. Give me the "Derby" any year with all it's imperfections:ThmbUp: