PDA

View Full Version : Golfer Rory McIlroy

horses4courses
05-02-2010, 04:54 PM
On the verge of his first PGA tour victory, Northern Ireland's Rory McIlroy
has a 4 shot lead at Quail Hollow with 3 holes remaining.

One thing's for sure....he won't be celebrating with champagne.

He turns 21 in two days time.... :)

skate
05-02-2010, 05:32 PM
Rumor has, that he's doing his celebrating between holes, instead of "at the hole".

Oh, what hole is that skate?:eek: um...:rolleyes:

Greyfox
05-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Nice to see a young face win a tournament where Tiger could not make the cut.
His performance this afternoon was nothing short of spectacular. :jump: :jump:

RXB
05-02-2010, 06:50 PM
McIlroy has been hyped for a few years now by Europeans as the Next Big Thing. Quite a few people think he's going to become one of the absolute greats. We'll see.

cj's dad
05-03-2010, 03:38 AM
JAPANESE GOLF SENSATION RYO ISHIKAWA

He recently shot a 58 !!

DJofSD
05-03-2010, 09:23 AM
Rory did it earlier in his career than Tiger did by about 6 months.

Will the talking heads start touting him as the next wunderkin while at the same time herald the demise of Tiger?

DJofSD
12-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Rory played with Tiger during the 2nd day of play at the Chevron World Challenge (Tiger's charity event). It was not his best day by a long shot. It certainly seemed he was affected by Tiger's play. He needs to reach the same level of mental toughness as has fellow countryman Graham "don't call me cracker" McDowel. G-Mac won it in the 2nd playoff hole.

cj
12-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Tiger sure looks to be coming back.

What is with all the tourneys anyway? I remember when there was nothing after the Tour Championship other than a few "silly season" events.

Greyfox
12-06-2010, 02:42 PM
Tiger sure looks to be coming back.

What is with all the tourneys anyway? I remember when there was nothing after the Tour Championship other than a few "silly season" events.

Tigers event was not a PGA offering. It is part of the silly season.
McDowell came from four strokes behind to beat "the man." Awesome golf.

DJofSD
12-06-2010, 03:09 PM
It was good even if it was part of the post season silliness.

The amatuer in me was somewhat happy to see even the very best in the world can end up with bad shots and lies just like the rest of us.

Besides the hole in one and the double eagle, I think the most interesting was the relief G Mac took on the 16th or 17th on Sunday. It resulted in my DVR not catching the play off holes since it took so long but I found it a lot more interesting and instructive than just going back to the tee box.

Greyfox
12-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Besides the hole in one and the double eagle, I think the most interesting was the relief G Mac took on the 16th or 17th on Sunday..

I thought McD had blown it on 17. Unbelievable bogie from behind a tree and bushes, on a hill in the rough next to another tee box. Unbelievable.
Then I thought McD had blown it on 18. Unbelievable 20 foot (or more) long birdie putt while Tiger just faced a 3 footer or so.
Then, in the playoff, when McD drained his putt on 18 again...Unbelievable birdie.
The drama. Tiger didn't miss that playoff hole putt by more than a whisker.
But he missed it.

DJofSD
12-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Yes, to all of that, and, yes, I thought G Mac had opened the door for Tiger. But, it ain't over 'till it's over and G Mac turned out to be either luckier or better than Tiger.

I thought Tiger played very well even though he lost in the play off. Did he play better than G Mac or others? Yes, I thought so.

But as one of the talking heads pointed out, players will not be so afraid of him in 2011. I sure hope that's true and I am really hoping to see him here at Torrey Pines in a month and one week from now.

horses4courses
12-06-2010, 03:58 PM
At least Tiger looks back on track. :ThmbUp:

By the time April comes, I wouldn't bet against him at Augusta.

DJofSD
12-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Ian will take a run at him....

Greyfox
12-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Did he play better than G Mac or others? Yes, I thought so.

Tiger started the day with a 4 stroke lead. He lost that tournament every bit as much as McDowell won it. So I do not think he played better than McD. Nope.