PDA

View Full Version : OS X Compatible Wager Tracking Software?

alysheba88
07-22-2003, 03:00 PM
Just wondering if anyone knew of any. Everything seems to run on Windows only. I know I can get special software to run Windows based programs on my Imac but was just wondering if anyone knew of wager tracking software that runs on OS X?

Thanks!

BillW
07-22-2003, 03:31 PM
alysheba88,

I've never seen any horseracing software written for UNIX (although I'm not necessarily the final authority :)). How detailed and specific do you want to get? There are spreadsheets that can be "programmed" to database your wagers and perform statistical calculations on them, but not to the extent of what G. Pines app will do. Possibly other database type programs similar to Access are available.

I know this isn't much help, but if a spreadsheet/database meets your needs, re-focusing your search in that direction may prove fruitful.

Bill

alysheba88
07-22-2003, 03:57 PM
Thanks Bill.

My own tracking, much of it manual is very crude time consuming. Gets the job done for the most part, but needs to be upgraded no doubt. Know I am spending way too much time doing it. I do have Excel but no real Excel knowledge.

BillW
07-22-2003, 04:18 PM
One thing you may try is ask around to see if someone that has spent some time setting up a bet tracking template in Excel, will share. Some people are really clever with Excel templates and usually are not hesitant to show off their work by sharing.

Bill

numbercruncher
07-22-2003, 09:34 PM
All of the new software coming out of Cynthia Publishing works great on MacOS X. This is because it's written in Java so it gets all the benefits of the work Apple did to make Java part of the operating system.

Currently they have a speed-and-pace program named fastcapper, a factors based program named handy capper and they're talking about a wager tracking program coming out soon.

Just checked. their website is now at cynthiapublishing.com (used to be cynpub.com).

azmike
07-22-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by alysheba88 (MW)
Just wondering if anyone knew of any. Everything seems to run on Windows only. I know I can get special software to run Windows based programs on my Imac but was just wondering if anyone knew of wager tracking software that runs on OS X?

Thanks!

I posted a similar question a while back and also did my own research. Except for the all in one folks at Cynthia Publishing I do not know of any software program that runs on OS X.

I also purchased the "best" Windows emulation software program and it was so slooow I gave up on that too.

I concluded I needed to keep my Windows laptop and could not make the total switch to MAC.

BillW
07-23-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by numbercruncher
All of the new software coming out of Cynthia Publishing works great on MacOS X. This is because it's written in Java so it gets all the benefits of the work Apple did to make Java part of the operating system.

Currently they have a speed-and-pace program named fastcapper, a factors based program named handy capper and they're talking about a wager tracking program coming out soon.

Just checked. their website is now at cynthiapublishing.com (used to be cynpub.com).

Thanks numbercruncher,

I had forgotten they were still in business. Not on the radar much anymore. Last I heard Microsoft was trying to bail like crazy out of Java (not-invented-here syndrome). Guess that'll leave Cynthia in a bind.

Bill

Handle
07-23-2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by BillW
Last I heard Microsoft was trying to bail like crazy out of Java (not-invented-here syndrome).

Naw, they just Borg-ed it with something called .Net.... Resistance is futile.

numbercruncher
07-23-2003, 12:55 AM
Not at all. Both Sun and IBM are writing Java runtimes for Windows, for free. The Cynthia Publishing product ships with it's own copy of the Java runtime so it works fine on all Win32 systems. It just means a few more megabytes get eaten up on the hard disk because M$ didn't want to play nice.

But of course that has nothing to do with the original MacOS X question.

BillW
07-23-2003, 01:05 AM
With their own runtime, it guarantees it will work thru MS updates ... good strategy. Hard disk space is cheap.

Bill

numbercruncher
07-23-2003, 01:59 AM
OK, I'll admit it. I'm one of the beta testers for Cynthia Publishings new "Betting Analyst". It's looking solid and should be out soon. I am of course a MacOS fanatic, but by going 100% pure Java they've to some extent "future proofed" the product.

Microsoft isn't too worried about Java in the applications arena - they think of it as yet another compler.

Where Micro$oft is getting their butt kicked is in the server arena where people are ditching Microsoft servers and technologies for Unix/Linux servers running Apache as the web server and a Java back end (Tomcat/Cold Fusion/JSP) for web applications. Their .net alternative is being generally ignored and it has them really upset.

(Don't beleve me? How many times has YOUR browser choked on a page ending with .asp? How many times have you seen a site go from pages ending with .asp to pages ending with .jsp? Count and be enlightened!)

Ja, I'm a computer geek. Sorry for popping off topic.

BillW
07-23-2003, 02:37 AM
nc,

Running Linux here and know exactly of what you speak :).

BTW, I'm running Mozilla ... doesn't crash much, but when it does, it's code from the NW.

Bill

alysheba88
07-23-2003, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Not getting rid of my Imac either. Run Mozilla too and it is a good browser.

BETKING
07-23-2003, 05:37 PM
Is anyone useing this software? I saw it advertized in the back of Jim Lehane's "Calibration Handicapping" book. If so, is it easy to use or is it more trouble than iits worth? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

azmike
07-23-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by BETKING
Is anyone useing this software? I saw it advertized in the back of Jim Lehane's "Calibration Handicapping" book. If so, is it easy to use or is it more trouble than iits worth? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Yes, I have it and use it. And yes it is time-consuming. But yes it is worth it.

I wish it have a way to just download bets into it without all the manual inputting. It appears to be DOS based and not windows therefore it is not as slick as most typical newer programs appear today.

Niko
07-23-2003, 08:33 PM
I just bought my first mac, the OSX. I'm having trouble with video feeds, particularily Brisbet. Any suggestions? For some things it's been great but others I'm still left in the dark.

azmike
07-23-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Niko
I just bought my first mac, the OSX. I'm having trouble with video feeds, particularily Brisbet. Any suggestions? For some things it's been great but others I'm still left in the dark.

I also had problems with youbet on my mac. It seems most (if not all-I am not sure) don't recognize the mac version of internet explorer. I received error messages similar to "must have at least IE version 5"or something like that.

Youbet said if enough people requested it they "might" supply a future mac version. Maybe that would work with brisbet. I would at least call their tech support line.

Niko
07-24-2003, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the reply. My understanding is Brisbet is waiting for Microsoft to re-do Windows Media for Mac and then it will be compatible...but if enough (of the 3% market share) speak up maybe sooner...I'm not holding my breath.
Luckily some tracks like Del Mar, Santa Anita and Gulfstream have their own video that I can watch. It's a real treat for me now when I get it.

BillW
07-24-2003, 09:25 PM
The video thing is a bit different than the browser issue. Bris designed their site to be browser independent (like HTML and the internet is supposed to be), but their affiliate America Tab had a brain fart (a technical term :cool: ) and chose a propriatary format for their video. I don't think MS is pursuing a media player for the Mac because Apple has a competing format, but I could be wrong on this as I don't keep up much with MS.

One solution is to find a 3rd party media player that handles windows video streams. Another is to use windows. I use mplayer on Linux that seems to work well, although I don't use it much with a dial-up internet connection.

Bill