PDA

View Full Version : Calvin Makes the Wall St Journal Ipad App

JustRalph
05-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Opened the Wall St. Journal on my IPAD a little while ago and one of the headline items on the front page is a story and slide show on the KY Derby.

Surprised me a little. Attached is what it looked like on the IPAD. There were five or six shots and a nice story covering the Derby. Never realized the WSJ covered the Derby.

MNslappy
05-01-2010, 09:21 PM
the most interesting thing about this, IMO, is that you own an iPad.
I never pictured you as an iPad kinda guy, guy. :)

JustRalph
05-02-2010, 12:34 AM
the most interesting thing about this, IMO, is that you own an iPad.
I never pictured you as an iPad kinda guy, guy. :)

First Apple Computer I have ever owned. 30 yrs as a pc guy. All the way back to the first ones. I ran a Computer Support Center for 7 yrs and we supported Mac Computers, but I always had several in the office to work on/train etc. Never bought one. I left that field in 2004 or so and haven't even looked much at a Mac since. Saw this thing, went to an Apple store in the mall to play with it, and let's just say "resistance is futile" I love the damn thing. Walking around the house with it is amazing. You don't know what it is really like until you hold one in your hands and use it. The speed is the key. Works fast and some of the apps are really nice. When they get the multi-tasking included in the late summer/fall timeframe, the thing will be damn near perfect.

Don't get me wrong. I got my eye on some of those new android pads that are coming too....nothing wrong with having two.

Btw, Rumor is HP has Killed the Slate Computer because Windows runs too slow on it. Failed QC testing.

They purchased Palm for 1.2 billion 3 days ago. The only real value Palm had was the "WebOs" system they developed. It is fast and similar to Android and Linux. I have it on my Palm Pre phone. Word is, HP starting over with the Slate and putting it out in 2011 with "WebOs" on it.

If you haven't tried an IPAD, and you get a chance to play with one. Give it a whirl. Very interesting device, a real game changer. If you are a news junkie like I am (probably 200 articles a day) this thing is incredible for that. The RSS readers that you can download for free from the app store are very very nice.

Btw, that graphic above is a screenshot taken on the IPAD and then emailing it to my desktop......... the damn thing is pretty nice.

JustRalph
05-02-2010, 02:21 AM
http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/article/2010-04/although-its-been-said-many-times-many-ways-ipad-future

from the link/Review

Plenty of words have been written about the iPad's touchscreen interface, and I can pretty much guarantee that none of them will mean anything to you until you use it. It just can't be expressed. On paper it's just a giant iPod touch. Yes, I've heard that a few times, even said it myself. But then it's in your hand and you're gliding your finger over your favorite websites, panning around the globe with your pinkie tip in Google Maps, feeling like a CIA analyst manning some future spy satellite terminal. It's one brainstem-level pleasure after another; it reacts to some base human instinct to touch and manipulate something shiny put in front of us, and well, we can't really argue with the brain stem, can we?

MNslappy
05-02-2010, 02:32 AM
But can it run flash? ;) I kid.

p.s. we're gonna get banned!

Ya know what would make a funny YouTube video?
Calvin trying to use an iPad.

JustRalph
05-02-2010, 04:14 AM
Weird thing that's happening is that when I go to flash site I get a message for about one second that says I need flash, It goes Away and the video then plays anyway? Mostly on big name sites like espn and msnbc etc
They are obviously making adjustments for it

OTM Al
05-02-2010, 08:23 AM
First Apple Computer I have ever owned. 30 yrs as a pc guy.

I'm the same as Ralph. Don't want an iPhone or an Apple computer but this thing is great and will be a constant companion at the track. Twinspires mobile video does just fine until the Flash war is resolved and it's much easier to bet from my NYRA account using the regular on line site (the moblie app was not working well with my new Blackberry). Opens pdfs and word docs, so instead of printing the stuff out, just put it on the iPad. Zooming in is just a flick of the fingers so even andicap's printouts could be made huge! Only drawback is that the 3G sucks power really fast, so you don't really get the 10 hrs of promised battery time when using that feature.

Red Knave
05-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Zooming in is just a flick of the fingers so even andicap's printouts could be made huge! :D

Thanks.

Pace Cap'n
05-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Weird thing that's happening is that when I go to flash site I get a message for about one second that says I need flash, It goes Away and the video then plays anyway? Mostly on big name sites like espn and msnbc etc
They are obviously making adjustments for it

You might google "HTML5". I'm not very conversant in computer speak, but I think this will eliminate the need for Flash.

PaceAdvantage
05-02-2010, 07:24 PM
I promised myself I would not get an iPad...you guys better stop this... :lol:

MAGICHORSEMAN
05-03-2010, 12:27 AM
why not bring it to the track and show your friends?

First Apple Computer I have ever owned. 30 yrs as a pc guy. All the way back to the first ones. I ran a Computer Support Center for 7 yrs and we supported Mac Computers, but I always had several in the office to work on/train etc. Never bought one. I left that field in 2004 or so and haven't even looked much at a Mac since. Saw this thing, went to an Apple store in the mall to play with it, and let's just say "resistance is futile" I love the damn thing. Walking around the house with it is amazing. You don't know what it is really like until you hold one in your hands and use it. The speed is the key. Works fast and some of the apps are really nice. When they get the multi-tasking included in the late summer/fall timeframe, the thing will be damn near perfect.

Don't get me wrong. I got my eye on some of those new android pads that are coming too....nothing wrong with having two.

Btw, Rumor is HP has Killed the Slate Computer because Windows runs too slow on it. Failed QC testing.

They purchased Palm for 1.2 billion 3 days ago. The only real value Palm had was the "WebOs" system they developed. It is fast and similar to Android and Linux. I have it on my Palm Pre phone. Word is, HP starting over with the Slate and putting it out in 2011 with "WebOs" on it.

If you haven't tried an IPAD, and you get a chance to play with one. Give it a whirl. Very interesting device, a real game changer. If you are a news junkie like I am (probably 200 articles a day) this thing is incredible for that. The RSS readers that you can download for free from the app store are very very nice.

Btw, that graphic above is a screenshot taken on the IPAD and then emailing it to my desktop......... the damn thing is pretty nice.

OTM Al
05-03-2010, 10:29 AM
I promised myself I would not get an iPad...you guys better stop this... :lol:

If you already have the equipment that does the same sort of stuff, and you are happy with it size-wise and functionality-wise, then I wouldn't get one of these, or at least not of this generation. That setup you had last year seemed to do pretty much everything I'm using my iPad for as far as horse racing goes, though I will also be using it for work as well.

BTW the wifi was a much much lower power drain

JustRalph
05-03-2010, 03:46 PM
why not bring it to the track and show your friends?

Because I rarely visit the track. I am sure you will see one soon. There are going to be everywhere, used for everything. Especially now that the 3G models are shipping. Apple sold 3 million the first month.

I am planning some track visits for later this year/summer. I am having a few health issues right now that are keeping me grounded. But I have plans to visit some new places in the Mid Atlantic Region, never been anywhere in that area, going to check them out. I have time right now.......just have to kick off a few health demons.

OTM Al
05-03-2010, 03:52 PM
Because I rarely visit the track. I am sure you will see one soon. There are going to be everywhere, used for everything. Especially now that the 3G models are shipping. Apple sold 3 million the first month.

I am planning some track visits for later this year/summer. I am having a few health issues right now that are keeping me grounded. But I have plans to visit some new places in the Mid Atlantic Region, never been anywhere in that area, going to check them out. I have time right now.......just have to kick off a few health demons.

Hey Ralph, Colonial might be a fun one for you if you've never been. I enjoyed it when I went there for the Turf Cup day a couple years ago. Big fields on turf and plenty of historical stuff around too if you are into that. Hot, but if I remember you are a midwesterner, so shouldn't be much worse that what you're used to. And you can use your iPad to help plan the trip :)

JustRalph
05-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Thanks Al........ had not thought of that one ..........it goes on the list. :ThmbUp:

JustRalph
05-03-2010, 07:18 PM
Wall Street Journal ,,,,,,,more on Calvin.....this is a good piece

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704608104575220300403417726.html?m od=WSJ_latestheadlines

from the headline

An Athlete Who Deserves His Due
Calvin Borel, Aboard Super Saver, Stakes His Claim to Being America's Coolest Sports Star

Pace Cap'n
06-03-2010, 05:30 PM
You might google "HTML5". I'm not very conversant in computer speak, but I think this will eliminate the need for Flash.

"Google just released a new developer version (http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/2010/06/dev-channel-update.html) of Chrome. This is the first official version of Chrome with support for the new WebM (http://www.webmproject.org/) open video standard."

"...online video continues to move away from Flash and towards HTML5..."

www.readwriteweb.com/archives/chrome
(http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/chrome_gets_support_for_webm_video_format.php)

JustRalph
06-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Google is including flash in android and the prez of adobe was on stage with Google CEO two weeks ago and announced that Google and Adobe were going to keep flash in all of their products.

Btw,,,,,,,,,,don't install the new add on's for Google Maps (they are beta) they will screw up your chrome browser ...........fyi