PDA

View Full Version : A strange thing happened today

Jasonm921
05-01-2010, 08:25 PM
The first time I could recall this....A jockey winning the Derby became the bigger story than the horse he was on. Supersaver became an after thought in the coverage after the race. Good for Calvin. Put in 20 years of hard work to finally reap the rewards. Went from a journeyman to a Hall of Fame Jockey in a matter of 4 years. And yes three Derby's and a Preakness get you inthe HOF.

ghostyapper
05-01-2010, 08:45 PM
Umm this happened last year as well. MTB was an afterthought, it was supposedly calvin that moved him up 20 lengths.

He's a great cd and rail rider but I'm glad he acknowledged that he's gotten the right horses at the right time. Those rail trips don't work with every horse.

MNslappy
05-01-2010, 08:45 PM
He's THE face of racing right now to the casual 3-4 times a year race watching public.

Jasonm921
05-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Yeah but at least they talked about the 50-1 odds. Here it was like oh yeah Calvin will comeback in the Preakness....uh we mean Supersaver will come back as well. Like I said, good for Calvin he has always treated the fans great.

Jasonm921
05-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Your right...in the eyes of the casual triple crown observer....He is the TIGER WOODS of racing. Imagine that 5 years ago.

Pell Mell
05-01-2010, 09:03 PM
I know with the women fans I know Calvin has done more for racing in the last 2 yrs. than all the gimmicks combined. They just love how emotional he is and the rapport he seems to have with the horses.

Calvin's a class act! :ThmbUp:

MNslappy
05-01-2010, 09:16 PM
I know with the women fans I know Calvin has done more for racing in the last 2 yrs. than all the gimmicks combined. They just love how emotional he is and the rapport he seems to have with the horses.

Calvin's a class act! :ThmbUp:

interesting you say that because I've had the same experience with a group of women who only watch racing once or twice a year and yet who all know who he is. And they all remembered his crazy blissful celebrations and crying and talking about his parents.

Greyfox
05-01-2010, 10:57 PM
He's THE face of racing right now to the casual 3-4 times a year race watching public.

:ThmbUp: Good call.
He rode the rail, rode the rail, and obviously had the horse to do what was
necessary to win this challenge.
I had his horse on the second tier.
Unfortunately my pick of # 2 Ice Box came up a little cool.
Calvin knew the track was wet.
He knew the rail was the place to be for that race. He proved that theory before.
I admire the guy.
Calvin came on to the track and while My Old Kentucky Home was playing, and the crowd singing, it was clear that he was ready to break into tears.
When he won, he certainly knows how to get the fans going.
There should be more of that.
In the meanwhile, tell me that was not the late Jim Varney (of Ernest Goes to Camp) riding....

http://ashevilleteaparty.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/jim_varney1.jpg.

Calvin....Jim....You decide.

Robert Goren
05-01-2010, 11:47 PM
Even stranger is how he went from an idiot to a genius overnight. ;)

Tom
05-01-2010, 11:53 PM
Your right...in the eyes of the casual triple crown observer....He is the TIGER WOODS of racing. Imagine that 5 years ago.

I wonder if they think he got hit in the face with a golf club too?

Greyfox
05-02-2010, 12:07 AM
I wonder if they think he got hit in the face with a golf club too?

Hit in the face with a golf club....
Anyone playing 121 holes runs that risk.
Check out this Tiger story.

http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Showbiz/Story/A1Story20100502-213628.html

That is pretty hairy by cracky, eh. :lol:

Greyfox
05-02-2010, 12:16 AM
Even stranger is how he went from an idiot to a genius overnight. ;)

Ask 46zil... there is no correlation between intelligence and simply sitting as a passenger on a horse. None. The gates open, the horse runs. What is, is. ;)

(Independent of the above, I hardly think that anyone would consider Borel
a genius, in any sense of the word. Brilliance for painting the rail, for sure.)

Bluto Blutarsky
05-02-2010, 12:23 AM

TOTALLY AGREE- for the moment - Calvin is the face of racing.
Not a bad thing....

OntheRail
05-02-2010, 03:15 AM
Even stranger is how he went from an idiot to a genius overnight.

Ask 46zil... there is no correlation between intelligence and simply sitting as a passenger on a horse. None. The gates open, the horse runs. What is, is. ;)

(Independent of the above, I hardly think that anyone would consider Borel
a genius, in any sense of the word. Brilliance for painting the rail, for sure.)

Book learning does not equate intelligence... highly educated men have been the ruin of the economy more then once and still repeat the same mistakes over again. And such intelligent people as your selves should know this. Me I'd take Calvin over any 10 Goldmen-Sack's CEO's.

Also with out Calvin's genius... Smarty... Bird and Super don't cross the wire first. The man is a Master in his domain. ;)

rastajenk
05-02-2010, 06:54 AM
Smarty? Streety......

OntheRail
05-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Smarty? Streety......
That could of read as a claritive... :D

But was and error on my part :blush: .

But you get the gist of it. ;)

Thanks

chickenhead
05-02-2010, 01:44 PM
got an email from my mom "Did you have any money on Calvin???"

She has watched maybe 10 horse races in her life. Obviously she knows him because he has won 3 of 4, but if it was another jockey I doubt she'd be asking about "Ramon" or "Raffie".

People remember and like Calvin, kind of hard not too. Characters like Calvin, D Wayne, and Baffert are great for the sport.

DeanT
05-02-2010, 01:52 PM
A strange thing happened to me today too. I read a post where someone wrote, "Calvin and SS". I thought about it for a moment and thought they were talking about Street Sense, since almost everyone on this board posted thoughts about Street Sense as "SS"

I thought I time warped to 2008. If Super Saver was trained by Rod Serling, it would be extra strange.

my_nameaintearl
05-02-2010, 03:05 PM
Does he have a problem processing information a few times in his post race interview his wife had to dumb down the questions for him.