PDA

View Full Version : Calvin says "Triple Crown" but.....

Hajck Hillstrom
05-01-2010, 07:16 PM
.... ICE BOX got the very worst of it, and just missed.

Watch for this Zito charge to step forward.

Hanover1
05-01-2010, 10:39 PM
My money sez skip Preakness, and romp in Belmont for Ice Box......

PaceAdvantage
05-01-2010, 10:48 PM
.... ICE BOX got the very worst of it, and just missed.Yup, he got the worst of it, and finished 2.5 lengths out...he also closed into a pretty righteous pace scenario, so that helped him out a bit, wouldn't you say?

Did he get into more than 2.5 lengths of trouble? Most certainly. But again, he was helped by being able to close into the lightning they were putting out up front (the early speed finished 15th, 17th and 18th respectively).

Ice Box has turned into a stone cold closer in his last three races...curious, don't you think? And you know what happens to stone cold closers...they usually run into stone walls of trouble...

ArlJim78
05-01-2010, 11:09 PM
I think Ice Box will have a tough time winning a race like the Belmont with that running style. He might get up for a part in the Preakness depending on who else goes, but of the triple crown races, the Derby is the best chance for a horse with form like that. Unfortunately he got no help today with a trip so bad it was almost comical.

Hanover1
05-01-2010, 11:16 PM
I would say that as well in order to make Winstar and Pletcher smile.....please.......

Greyfox
05-01-2010, 11:17 PM
Prediction:

Ice Box will not enter the Preakness.

Ice Box has a great chance at the Belmont.

horses4courses
05-01-2010, 11:24 PM
Zito has thwarted the TC hopes of Big Brown and Smarty Jones, training both
Da Tara and Birdstone to win the Belmont.

Ice Box is definitely a nice horse, with that late running style.
He is capable of winning either, or both, of the next TC races.

PaceAdvantage
05-01-2010, 11:29 PM
This Triple Crown talk is just Calvin being Calvin.

This year, more than any other in recent memory, seems quite unlikely that a Triple Crown will be won with so many evenly matched contenders out there.

Then again, I remember saying the same thing after Real Quiet and Charismatic each won their respective Derbies, and they each came close...so who knows?

Greyfox
05-01-2010, 11:35 PM
This year, more than any other in recent memory, seems quite unlikely that a Triple Crown will be won with so many evenly matched contenders out there.

:ThmbUp: Good post and observation. I think that you can go to the bank on that.
A Triple Crown winner will not emerge this year or my name is not Arthur Godfrey.
Seriously, a Triple Crown winner is highly unlikely.
The contestants are so closely matched.

kenwoodall2
05-02-2010, 12:08 AM

Then again, I remember saying the same thing after Real Quiet and Charismatic each won their respective Derbies, and they each came close...so who knows?
It is hard to figure who has the TC shot unless we xrax the heart band see the Ky Derby winner has one as big literally as Secretariat's!

MNslappy
05-02-2010, 02:57 AM
A Triple Crown is highly unlikely any year.
but I don't think any more unlikely this year than any other...
I dont think people are giving Super Saver enough credit.
He could absolutely win the Preakness.
And then it's on. Anything can happen in NY.

ManeMediaMogul
05-02-2010, 08:25 AM
With only three races this year, and two of them fairly easy, it is quite possible that Super Saver has the best chance to pull off a Triple Crown than any colt in a long while.

He is getting good at the right time and he has the pedigree to go a mile and a half.

It is time to get your Preak on!

NY BRED
05-02-2010, 08:29 AM
If, by chance it again rains, and a smaller sample of the Derby
Contestants arrive for the Preakness, SS wins for fun....

That said, the Belmont will be wide open based on some of the
trips and disasters witnessed yesterday resulting from surface condition
and posts.

castaway01
05-02-2010, 02:22 PM

Right, plus what can he say, "Yeah, I'm sure we'll lose the Preakness, I don't know why we're even running."