PDA

View Full Version : Calvin predicts triple crown...

only11
05-01-2010, 06:56 PM
He predicted he will win the triple crown with after the race...Calvin not soooo fast

Hajck Hillstrom
05-01-2010, 07:20 PM
ICE BOX closed a ton with a horrible trip. Good luck to Calvin on his Tri-Crown effort. He'll need it.

kenwoodall2
05-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Borel and this statement is fantastic for racing and getting more TC fans!! :jump:

LemonSoupKid
05-01-2010, 07:22 PM
predicting it after winning the Derby is "tradition"

:lol:

kenwoodall2
05-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Congrats to PA and all members who picked SS!

joanied
05-01-2010, 07:40 PM
predicting it after winning the Derby is "tradition"

:lol:

I don't think so...I actually can't recall any jockey predicting a TC...I could be wrong. I can recall a jock talking about his horse having a great chnace at getting it, but never an prediction.

It was probably more the emotion of the moment...we all know how carried away Calvin can get...but as kenwoodall2 said, it will perk up more interest in the series...and he has a hell of a shot, with this kind of horse, in winning the Preakness.
Check his pedigree...it's different, interesting and has plenty of stamina top & bottom.
Hey...stranger things have happened:)

bisket
05-01-2010, 08:28 PM
i think the rest of the horses are going to have a hard time beating him in the preakness. his style is perfect for pimlico. rate just off the pace pop out to 3-4 path coming out of the turn and take command in the stretch. i've watched many horses use that style at pimlico and land in the winners circle. he was just off that very fast pace in the derby. it shows quality to have that much in the stretch after running like that early. afleet alex couldn't do it.

joanied
05-01-2010, 09:00 PM
I said that too, bisket...this is the type of horse that does good in the Preakness...and if you check his pedigree, there's plenty of stamina for the Belmont.
I don't like getting the cart before the horse...but if he wins the Preakness...he has as good shot as the other TC hopefuls had...maybe a little more.

GaryG
05-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Well, at this point he certainly has a shot, but Calvin is an emotional son of Acadiana and he is as full of **** as a christmas goose. Love him to death though...:jump:

JustRalph
05-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Well, at this point he certainly has a shot, but Calvin is an emotional son of Acadiana and he is as full of **** as a christmas goose. Love him to death though...:jump:

what? He's a Cajun ? :lol:

JPinMaryland
05-01-2010, 09:40 PM
some of these others that run near the front might do better on a track that is not as tiring. Think like NObles Promise

Bruddah
05-01-2010, 09:46 PM
I love that Calvin and Super Saver won. Super S. was my original pick after the Arkansas Derby and my second choice today. This being said, Super S. is going to need a much improved race to win the Belmont.

kenwoodall2
05-02-2010, 12:16 AM
I love that Calvin and Super Saver won. Super S. was my original pick after the Arkansas Derby and my second choice today. This being said, Super S. is going to need a much improved race to win the Belmont.
Everyone would need a much improved run to win the Belmont! Maybe this year especially because an Unbridled filly just beat the 2009 HOY?!!

chickenhead
05-02-2010, 12:25 AM
kenwoodall 2.0? Twice as good as 1.0? What new features do you have?

It's not like any of the other recent predictions with really dominating horses have worked out, who knows, maybe this is what we'll get. You never know.

I do think Looking At Lucky will reassert himself as the best of the crop in his next race or two.

cj's dad
05-02-2010, 12:28 AM
my prediction is that Ice Box will NOT run in the Preakness !! too short !!

Greyfox
05-02-2010, 12:30 AM
my prediction is that Ice Box will NOT run in the Preakness !! too short !!

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: Agreed. An entry there would make no sense.

Dahoss9698
05-02-2010, 12:34 AM
WHy does it make no sense? He might not win but he was clearly best today. How do you not go to Pimlico? He did win a grade 1 going 9 furlongs and is lightly raced.

Market Mover
05-02-2010, 12:56 AM
WHy does it make no sense? He might not win but he was clearly best today. How do you not go to Pimlico? He did win a grade 1 going 9 furlongs and is lightly raced.

Lightly raced is key. You've got to be well-rested to even make it thru this TC series of races...

cj's dad
05-02-2010, 12:56 AM

Pimlico does not play well to deep closers; if he runs he runs. I really don't care -as always, many KD entrants will drop out and there will be new faces in the race. Lets see what shakes out in the next few days.

I'm thinking Ice Box runs next at Belmont Park on June 6th.

Greyfox
05-02-2010, 01:05 AM
Pimlico does not play well to deep closers; if he runs he runs. I really don't care -as always, many KD entrants will drop out and there will be new faces in the race. Lets see what shakes out in the next few days.

The dream of winning The Triple Crown is over. Only one horse can win that,
and that is not likely (IMO).
From then on, the best move is to place your steed where he is most likely to win one of the three jewels.
Running two weeks from now ...Forget that idea. He just ran a huge race.
Rest Ice Box and take a stab at the Belmont.
Even then he should not be favored. His style may be a tad too late for the Belmont. But that is where he should be placed next.

Tex9Down
05-02-2010, 01:07 AM
What a great race. For the first time I'll be at Pimlico for the Preakness. I'll have to root for Super Saver, just for the chance of seeing a triple crown winner. I think that Ice Box may make a big run for it if he's entered. Why wouldn't he? However, my first reaction is Looking at Lucky! What a troubled trip he had and still came on for 6th. Who else do you think will enter? I heard Drosselmier will be there?

PhantomOnTour
05-02-2010, 01:08 AM
some of these others that run near the front might do better on a track that is not as tiring. Think like NObles Promise
Noble's Promise needs a new jock. Willie moved too early in the BC Juv and he did again today. He wasn't beaten by much and a better timed ride can land a bigger share.

Dahoss9698
05-02-2010, 01:13 AM

Gulfstream really doesn't play well to deep closers either but he ran pretty well there. In the last few years closers have done pretty well in the Preakness.

Mine That Bird was 2nd, Street Sense was second, Afleet Alex won after being pretty far back.

Shelby
05-02-2010, 09:11 AM
I don't think so...I actually can't recall any jockey predicting a TC...I could be wrong. I can recall a jock talking about his horse having a great chnace at getting it, but never an prediction.

It was probably more the emotion of the moment...we all know how carried away Calvin can get...but as kenwoodall2 said, it will perk up more interest in the series...and he has a hell of a shot, with this kind of horse, in winning the Preakness.
Check his pedigree...it's different, interesting and has plenty of stamina top & bottom.
Hey...stranger things have happened:)
Amen joanie! I am a die hard Calvin fan, so I'm admittedly biased, but, dang he knows how to ride. Super Saver looked awesome and I think he has the strength and the heart to do it! I was the lone person watching for the yellow #4 to come from behind....when I spotted him I jumped out of my chair screaming "there's Calvin!!!!!!!!!!". I has tears in my eyes watching him cross that finish line. Preakness here we come!!!!!

joanied
05-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Amen joanie! I am a die hard Calvin fan, so I'm admittedly biased, but, dang he knows how to ride. Super Saver looked awesome and I think he has the strength and the heart to do it! I was the lone person watching for the yellow #4 to come from behind....when I spotted him I jumped out of my chair screaming "there's Calvin!!!!!!!!!!". I has tears in my eyes watching him cross that finish line. Preakness here we come!!!!!

Me too, Shelby...love the guy!!
he may have spoke about the TC with his usual emotional thinking...which is one reason I love him so much...but he might very well be on to something with the TC...the horse seems to be just now coming into himself...and he has the style to do well in the Preakness, and the pedigree to allow him to get the Belmont distance...I beleive Pletcher pretty much HAS to go for it:ThmbUp:

miesque
05-02-2010, 01:40 PM
Well since I don't think that there is a high probability that Super Saver will win the Preakness, I am not putting too much stock into Calvin's Triple Crown prediction. Now if the Preakness was at Churchill then Super Saver might have a chance of finally winning two races in a row since his only two non-maiden wins were at Churchill and Calvin's strategic advantage at Churchill pretty much evaporate when he heads to other tracks like Pimlico and Belmont. However, I am really not convinced that if you redrew post positions and reran the Derby the results would be the same as they were yesterday (in fact one could argue that even with the same post positions it would likely be a different result). Consistency has not exactly been the defining characteristic of this current crop of three year olds except for maybe the fact that they have consistently been "commonly mediocre" as was evident from capping the Derby and that is not going to change overnight just because the Kentucky Derby has been run. I would be not in the least bit surprised to see a horse that has never won a graded stakes win the Preakness based on the past performance lines of this crop. This is also why I fully expect there to be a full field for the Preakness. Hopefully between now and then I can muster some more enthusiasm because right now I am rather underwhelmed about heading up to the Preakness/Black Eyed Susan.

joanied
05-02-2010, 03:07 PM
miesque... I think the Preakness will have a full field also...now, Calvin predicting a TC win was said in the heat of the moment, no doubt...but I don't think anyone should dismiss his prediction...he rode Super Saver as a 2 yr old, and again before the Derby, he's been on him in the morning...he knows this colt, knows what he felt like, knows what he feels like now...

you are right about consistancy with this bunch...there really hasn't been any...IMO, of all of them the only 'consistant' colts were Esky and, beleive it or not, Lucky...I say Lucky because he had bad rides, bad luck so I tossed out his loosing because IMO, he should have won every race he's lost...starting with the BC Juvy...
so before the Derby was even run, I was thinking we'd have a different horse win each leg of the TC this year...again. I am still thinking that...usually when you have a horse where the TC is real possibility, there is something about that horse...he'll have 'the look'...which is kinda hard to put into words...and Super Saver doesn't have 'the look'...he doesn't stand out in any way, at least not to my eyes...
but, he does have the right running style and he does have a pedigree with plenty of classic stamina...who knows...maybe Calvin had a vision;) ...but, the last couple of years has seen many unusual things going on...so why not have a horse like this jump up and win the TC...

my_nameaintearl
05-02-2010, 03:12 PM
As a competitor he has to. he cant say well maybe we can get a 3rd place at pimlico

joanied
05-03-2010, 04:40 PM
http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2010/05/03/calvin-borel-on-super-savers-chances-to-win-the-elusive-triple-crown-i-think-hes-got-a-hell-of-a-shot-to-do-it/

The above link is a story from a radio interview Calvin had. If you don't want to read it all, below is the key sentence...this will clarify what Calvin actually said about the Triple Crown:

Calvin Borel On Super Saver’s Chances To Win The Elusive Triple Crown: “I think he’s got a hell of a shot to do it.” (http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2010/05/03/calvin-borel-on-super-savers-chances-to-win-the-elusive-triple-crown-i-think-hes-got-a-hell-of-a-shot-to-do-it/)

May 3, 2010 – 10:15 am by Bunk

On his on camera statement after the Derby that he thought Super Saver would win the Triple Crown:

“I said I like him to win the Triple Crown, yes sir. I think he’s the type of horse that’s peaking right now, and he’s been lightly raced, you know what I mean? So this was big for us. I think he’s got a hell of a shot to do it. I think this was the most important race to get out of the way with a 20 horse field and everything. And you know, Todd (Pletcher) did such a good job of getting him to relax like I wanted, and I think he’ll just get better from now on.”

Calvin said, he LIKES him to win the TC...not that he would win the TC.
I thought this was important to point out:)

bisket
05-03-2010, 06:02 PM

i know alot of people are downplaying super saver in the preakness, but with his running style i'm gonna have a tough time taking him out of the 1 or 2 spot in any of my exotics. i'll have to see who runs, but my philosphy before looking at the pps will be: can they beat super saver? i always favor a horse that has some speed, but rates behind the pace. then pops out from the 1 path to the 2-4 path while leaving the turn and then accelerates through the stretch at pimlico. thats basically super saver's race.

46zilzal
05-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Even with LOGICAL ONES (Riva Ridge, Afleet Alex, Pleasant Colony, Swale, Native Dancer, Bid etc) there is always some random thing that pops up

PaceAdvantage
05-04-2010, 12:09 AM
Calvin Borel On Super Saver’s Chances To Win The Elusive Triple Crown: “I think he’s got a hell of a shot to do it.”Not to mention, he's the only one who can at this point... :lol:

joanied
05-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Not to mention, he's the only one who can at this point... :lol:

:D yes, that much is obvious...but two things...Calvin didn't have to say that...I beleive it was the first words he spoke when Barton started her interview...there is any number of things he could have said...
but...the reason I posted that radio interview was to clarify the fact that Calvin did not say he would win the TC...which is a lot different than what he really said, which was that he had a hell of a shot.
I guess what I'm doing is maybe defending him...because too many folks are saying the Calvin predicted a TC victory...which is just not true.

LemonSoupKid
05-05-2010, 10:10 AM
i know alot of people are downplaying super saver in the preakness, but with his running style i'm gonna have a tough time taking him out of the 1 or 2 spot in any of my exotics. i'll have to see who runs, but my philosphy before looking at the pps will be: can they beat super saver? i always favor a horse that has some speed, but rates behind the pace. then pops out from the 1 path to the 2-4 path while leaving the turn and then accelerates through the stretch at pimlico. thats basically super saver's race.

The classic formula:

An overwhelming % of the time, the derby winner goes into the Preakness as an overlay (remember, this does not mean he's not the favorite). Why? With all of the horses and efforts on Derby Day (as well as the bad trips) the scenario we just saw is classic, exemplified by the statement, "Ice Box was the best horse, he got the worst trip and was closing like a monster".

If it is an accomplished horse (or relatively, like Super Saver, and not a MTB or Giacomo) the horse is in great shape and has shown solid performances; he is in form. The one who just barely misses while getting up at the end of the Derby tends to be aggrandized. This sets up a scenario on the front end/presser favoring Preakness race that favors the Derby winner due to trip, form, and class.

All that said, it goes in line with what bisket is saying. If he were running, what do you think Ice Box would be? I'm telling you with the probable odds, he would be a "trap."

Menifee was a late closing 2nd to Charismatic in 1999, no one thought Smarty could do it in 2004, or War Emblem in 2003, I've seen it time and time again.

What's funny is that I am likely going to play against Super Saver but I have my eyes on a couple that I'm not sure will run. I will not leave him out of position 2 or 3, because, book it right now, he'll be there.

I'm very skeptical of Borel outside of Churchill, on top of it.