PDA

View Full Version : Post your "Harness Bad Beats" here....It will make you feel better..

LottaKash
05-01-2010, 01:48 PM
I always thought that it would be nice to have a place to share our anger, frustration or regret about certain races when they don't go your particular way....You know, about bad luck, bad handicapping, or any other little thing that causes a loss....Especially the Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda's....This is the place...Go for it, it will make you feel better....We all have them...

Yesterday, 4/30, I liked a horse, in the 7th at Chester, #7-COURT JESTER, and he was in a race with a very vulnerable 4/5 fave....I was on the fence about him, as the driver that got him in such good shape, went to another horse (my 2d choice)...So I boxed the two (for a little), and made a double prime Win/Place bet on my pick, as he was going off at 14/1...I just knew if the pick could get good position early, he would have a good shot....

"CJ" left and was parked to just past the 1/4 and gained command just before the 3/8's, took a stiff challenge from the 5/8's to 3/4's and then just opened up on the field from there on....It was "GYELT" (goodbye late)...So, I am tickled with my winning play....Only trouble is, the W/P bet that I thought that I had made, was a P/S bet in reality....Talk about not paying attention to the little details....

The horse paid $30.00 15.40 6.00...x=$164.20....So, when I went to to see the update to my BR, I was a bit taken aback, as the numbers didn't jibe with my own....There was a $24.00 difference between the Win and Show prices....

A special friend of mine, said " Hey, a win is a win", and he's right.....Oh well...

Bad beat, due to my own sloppiness...:D

best,

Sea Biscuit
05-02-2010, 01:02 AM
Hey John Thats not a bad beat at all when your 14-1 shot comes through:jump::jump::jump:

LottaKash
05-02-2010, 11:47 AM
dHey John Thats not a bad beat at all when your 14-1 shot comes through:jump::jump::jump:

Hey Biscuit, good to see you out and about, missed you some....

Naw, it wasn't that bad a bad beat, but I sure would've liked the $30 payout rather than the $6 one.....Wouldn't you....?

At my age I don't go on and on about things like these, but, "this one" in particular was harder to swallow than most bets that I make....It was a "Double-Prime Play", and I don't make them that often....I need the Kash!, and I didn't get it, even tho I won....

So, not only did I call myself stupid for goofing on the wager, my wife did too !....Now, that is the "bad beat"...:D

best,

Sea Biscuit
05-02-2010, 01:11 PM
d

Hey Biscuit, good to see you out and about, missed you some....

Naw, it wasn't that bad a bad beat, but I sure would've liked the $30 payout rather than the $6 one.....Wouldn't you....?

At my age I don't go on and on about things like these, but, "this one" in particular was harder to swallow than most bets that I make....It was a "Double-Prime Play", and I don't make them that often....I need the Kash!, and I didn't get it, even tho I won....

So, not only did I call myself stupid for goofing on the wager, my wife did too !....Now, that is the "bad beat"...:D

best,

There are plenty of bad beats that I can recall but the most recent was on April 30 race 12 at Woodbine.

I bet #6 My Ideal in the race who was going of at 3-1. I was feeling pretty confident of my horse so I bet him to win only. Normally I bet a horse w/p.

In the stretch I started counting my chickens as he was home free and even the announcer had declared him the winner when a 70-1 long shot from post 10 came scooting from nowhere down the rail to nip him at the wire by a short nose.

Watch this race unfold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3a6YPx_AfE

Sea Biscuit

LottaKash
05-02-2010, 02:28 PM
There are plenty of bad beats that I can recall but the most recent was on April 30 race 12 at Woodbine.

I bet #6 My Ideal in the race who was going of at 3-1. I was feeling pretty confident of my horse so I bet him to win only. Normally I bet a horse w/p.

In the stretch I started counting my chickens as he was home free and even the announcer had declared him the winner when a 70-1 long shot from post 10 came scooting from nowhere down the rail to nip him at the wire by a short nose.

Watch this race unfold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3a6YPx_AfE

Sea Biscuit

Yeah Biscuit, I saw that race too....Windsun Countess, won the race, shocked the heck out of me....That run with less than an 1/8th to go, was like "Mine That Bird" in last's years derby....Phillip Hudon sure got a lot of that one, in one of the most explosive "rail skimming finish" that I have ever seen.....

I can understand your disappointment in that finish, because My Ideal, looked to be the eziest of winners, as he had them all way back there huffing & puffing to just keep their respective places in the lane....But My Ideal being primarily a game grinder, when in shape, got stung in the 26:2 54:3 while being parked at the 1/4 just getting the lead approaching the half, and I was surprised that he hung in there so good, given that he changed his racing style.....Usually that is a good tunep but often enough it will result in a loss...So My Ideal did good, and he ran great, and I have marked him down, he is "fast and fit"...

Biscuit, you didn't lose even tho you lost....Good bet...:ThmbUp: ...I mean that other horse made up 7-lengths in less than an 1/8th...Yikes !

My Ideal, next week...

best,

badcompany
05-03-2010, 12:52 AM
Two Fridays ago, I put a nice bet on a cold exacta on a 10K race at Yonkers. It was a race with two 2 to 1 shots as co-favorites, driven by Manzi and Panteleano. I had a feeling the Manzi horse was phony so I put Pants on top with a 15-1, driven by Gregory, second.

The race goes off. Manzi immediately goes off-stride from the five hole. Gregory, from the two post, out leaves the one and gets the lead. Pants, from the 3 post, quarter moves, and at the 1/4 pole, my exacta, which is paying around $60 is sitting 1-2.

There's little change until the stretch when Pants opens up and I'm, now,concerned that Gregory won't hold second, but, about 1/2 way down the stretch Pants' horse hits a wall and Gregory comes up the rail and beats him with the 15-1 shot, and I have the exacta the other way around.

Now, usually, after a race, I can make a case for the actual results, but not this time. The trainer of Gregory's horse was a nobody who was 0-14 at Yonkers. Pants' horse had a top trainer. Also, Gregory's horse was the type that loved to come in second. His record in 2009 was like 23-2-7-2. Pants' horse loved to win. There was just no logical explanation.

To add insult to injury, the next week, Pants' horse wins easily, in the same class with virtually the same trip.

That's what makes this game so tough. You can do alot right and still lose.

LottaKash
05-03-2010, 12:50 PM
That's what makes this game so tough. You can do alot right and still lose.

You got that right....Perhaps tho, Badco, a "little reverse" on your "cold exacta" could make for a nice "Place" bet of sorts....?...

I love to make cold exacta bets on a low priced fave, but I often make a token wager on the reverse, as it has had it's share of paydays for me....Hey, even a nice payout on $2 exacta-reverse, could make you smile, tho you lose the cold play...

best,

badcompany
05-03-2010, 01:14 PM
You got that right....Perhaps tho, Badco, a "little reverse" on your "cold exacta" could make for a nice "Place" bet of sorts....?...

I love to make cold exacta bets on a low priced fave, but I often make a token wager on the reverse, as it has had it's share of paydays for me....Hey, even a nice payout on $2 exacta-reverse, could make you smile, tho you lose the cold play...

best,

Well, had I known that's how I was gonna lose the race, I would've done that, but I didn't.

In the 1st race last Fri at M1, I had a cold exacta with Buter on top of D. Miller, and Miller got beat for second by the horse sitting third.

My style of playing races as cold as possible can make you pull your hair out at times, but when I hit, I hit big.

LottaKash
05-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Well, had I known that's how I was gonna lose the race, I would've done that, but I didn't.

In the 1st race last Fri at M1, I had a cold exacta with Buter on top of D. Miller, and Miller got beat for second by the horse sitting third.

My style of playing races as cold as possible can make you pull your hair out at times, but when I hit, I hit big.

Hey badman, I can understand that "way of going" it is solid....But me, my Bankroll is always "scared money" and I always like the luxury of winning a little even when I lose, that's all...

Kashing a ticket is quite important to me these days, as it keeps me smiling, and on those bad days, if I break even, it is just as good as a win for me...That is the only reason that I suggested what I did....The "feel-good" factor makes me "feel good"....I have had a number of heavily staked "cold-plays" with only a meager $2 reverse, and it still left me with a nifty little profit, even tho I lost the Big-One...:jump:

best,

RaceTrackDaddy
05-03-2010, 10:01 PM
It is always the ones that got away that create the stories we hold on to throughout or lives.

My biggest mistake was not in harness racing but at the simulcasting at the Meadows back in the days when one had to buy a DRF and we had only two tracks to bet, Philly Park in the afternoon and Penn National at night. (forgive for this flat racing story but it taught me a lesson that I would like to share).

Back then I was just learing the sport of kings, the time was early 90's. Think Mr Nasty raced againt Black Tie Affair (who later became HOY) in a short 5 horse field. Only two with speed and looked like a lineup. Punched the ticket and it came back at $22 for a cold ex...Now I am in need of learning more of this flat racing as if it was at the Mea with the same types racing, that ex would of come back like 4 bucks or less..

It was during this time I came across someone who was promoting the value of watching and learning track bias. THere was a ton of rain early in the day which drained down the track to the infield leaving the rail path hardest to run. The only horse that made any run on the inside was a mare called Olga's Fantasy. This is at Philly Park. That name was stuck in my mind.

About three weeks later, there was a large carryover for the twintri at Penn National. I tbought about taking a huge shot at the pot. I took out 500 bucks from my savings and added 100 more from my bookie (yes, he bet on me this time) and I came up with 5-6-8 being the live horses in the first part of the wager. Turning to the 2nd part, noticed that Olga's Fantansy was listed to go from the 10 hole. Now my heart starts beating faster and faster.

I came up with 10 over 1 and 4...10 horse field so I needed "10 with 1,4 with all" to make my play which would be 32 exhange tickets. $64 per combination in the first half to have a shot at the pool.

I was thinking about betting 8 over the 5,6 with all but in a ten horse field would cost more than I had in 32 times each combo...so I played 8-5-a few
and 8-6-few for 32 times each...did not hook up the 5 & 6 together. My thinking was that both could not come in together for whatever stupid reasoning I used back then.

8-6-5 hits the 1st half...pays like $200 plus a ticket exchange for the next half. I was broke, not a penny in my pocket. My buddy Randy was next to me in his wheel chair after having his ankle operated on earlier in the week, offered to loan me what I needed to play the tri or ex or even win in the 2nd half. I said nope.

Well there was a syndicate of guys live with like 6 tickets a couple tables up from us. One of them came back as asked what I liked and I told him I was going to play 10-1,4- all if I had hit my first half wager. He laughed at me.

The race runs as I thought and it ended up 10-1-4.
Olga's Fantasy paid over $100 to win,,,exacta paid over $1,000 and the regular tri paid over 14k...

What about the twin tri you asked? Well, no one hit it and the carryover went to $180k large....

Still sticks in my crawl to this very day. My lifetime best handicapping but my lifetime worst betting that I could image.
rtd

LottaKash
05-04-2010, 12:19 AM
The one that got away, hunh BobbZ...?....OOhh!

best,

badcompany
05-04-2010, 01:32 AM
Hey badman, I can understand that "way of going" it is solid....But me, my Bankroll is always "scared money" and I always like the luxury of winning a little even when I lose, that's all...

best,

To each his own. Far be it for me to tell anyone how to bet, but, as you surely know, horseplayers are bullheads. We all have our theories.

I used to spread money around, but, I've found that I do better trying to catch the $100 triple ten times, than the $1000 triple once. Not to mention, there's no tax on the former.

LottaKash
05-04-2010, 01:58 AM
To each his own. Far be it for me to tell anyone how to bet, but, as you surely know, horseplayers are bullheads. We all have our theories.

That is the beauty of this game that we love so much....So many ways to skin a cat....

best,

RaceTrackDaddy
05-04-2010, 08:16 AM
The one that got away, hunh BobbZ...?....OOhh!

best,

Yes, since I do not fish, that was my fishing story I take with me everywhere I go. Problem is my arms can not display 180K that got away.

rtd

mirror Image
05-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Mine would have to be a few years ago, I loved
Goodell on a 10-1 shot he won e-z only to get DQ.
Also right up there has to be making a bet on Manzi
only to have him drop the whip down the lane and lose a photo :bang:

LottaKash
05-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Also right up there has to be making a bet on Manzi
only to have him drop the whip down the lane and lose a photo :bang:

Hey MI, up in Ontario Harness, you wouldn't have had that problem, now would you ?....I mean about the "whip" n' all....They don't like you to hit the horses up there, they fine you, and suspend you, if you try that crap....:D

best,