PDA

View Full Version : Congressional Inquiry?

rwwupl
05-01-2010, 01:47 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/56772/racing-industry-gets-congressional-inquiry?&utm_source=DailyNewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20100501

Excerpts from article:

The letters dated April 29 were sent to Ogden Mills "Dinny" Phipps, chairman of The Jockey Club; Alex Waldrop, president and chief executive officer of the National Thoroughbred Racing Association; and Ed Martin, president and CEO of Racing Commissioners International.

“Given the benefits of the IHA (Interstate Horseracing Act), we as members of Congress expect the horse racing industry to not only protect the safety and welfare of its animals and jockeys, but also ensure the integrity of the sport," all three letters state.
“This lack of central governance thus complicates efforts to root out cheating, deter illegal drug-use, and ensure safe racing conditions,” the letters state.

Tom
05-01-2010, 04:20 PM
If anyone smarter than a horse ever gets to congress, they can get concerned. Right now, Congress is the filthiest dirty organization there is, so keep racing clean, keep congress away from it. Aholes.

Bruddah
05-01-2010, 06:21 PM
If anyone smarter than a horse ever gets to congress, they can get concerned. Right now, Congress is the filthiest dirty organization there is, so keep racing clean, keep congress away from it. Aholes.

Tom gets a Bada Bing and a BIG AMEN BRUDDAH. You nailed it Tom! :ThmbUp:

JustRalph
05-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Did they ask how Barbaro is doing in that same letter ?

cj
05-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Racing has big, big problems but I doubt getting the feds involved is going to help one iota.

Robert Goren
05-01-2010, 07:27 PM
Racing has big, big problems but I doubt getting the feds involved is going to help one iota.I don't think there is any doubt. With so many anti-gambling congressmen and senators, nothing good could come from them getting involved. JMO

Bruddah
05-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Racing has big, big problems but I doubt getting the feds involved is going to help one iota.

It's an election year and the egotistical bastards want to "style and profile" in front of the cameras. They never let a good opportunity go to waste. Personally, I vote against all incumbents, no matter the party affiliation. If they are elected to an office more than twice, they tend to think their seat in Congress is another Entitlement Program. Only it's just for them.

Keep the Bastards turning over is the answer! (JMHO)

slewis
05-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Yeah, except Congress cares about horseracing about as much those who Congress sent letters to care about Gamblers.

ZERO

Difference being that those above mentioned (letter receivers) control racing for their own personal interests.....and you guys are funding the shit without the chance to vote them out......

Try and move Dinny off his perch at NYRA..:lol: :lol:

Oh, and I love how much the NTRA does for the Gambler...:lol: :lol:

kenwoodall2
05-01-2010, 08:22 PM
When Congress grabbed hold of the steroid in baseball and the horse slaughter issues, results were IMO dramatic.
One thing Congress can do is to focus an avalance of attention to the percieved major problems of racing, regardless of actual numbers. There are 50+ diabled jockeys being helped by the DJF. Breakdowns over all have remained about the same for at least decades= .15 to.20 percent of starts; BUT, Congress is at least smart enough to ask for starts per INJURY, which there is very little data on, except selected data like scratches, vet's lists, and for high profile, the number of Kentucky Derby qualifiers have gone out with injury. (I will give the number in my next post). Performance enhancing drug caught rate was .5%, BUT that last survey was close to 1994. The biggest cheating was the BC pick 6 scandal, BUT past-post betting was the integrity focus meaning a problem just recently, as was the off-shore betting stuff.
Most of my ideas like: Looking for signs of leg injuiries or soreness and studying the charts for track blame; Taking away stabling rights and adding 2 lbs. to carry weight for above drug violations; Banning Ca. tracks from using cancel delay; All can be inplemented very quickly, will have only positive outcome, and will show that the racing community is on top of things.
I'm still am of the opinion that the group who put the most money INTO racing, horseplayers and owners, should step forward as national organizations who can put pressure on racing.
Secretariat's owner was just interviewed in conjunction with the new Secretariat movie out this fall. She said "We shoulod honor the horses". What simpler but more visible way than to have a retirement ceremony for sound horses and present a $6.00 harness name p[late?
If some of these can be put into effect prior to Congressional hearings, I can go and testify about the very positive things, and refocus attention on Canadian and Nexican horse slaughter (transport controlled by USDA and D.O.T.).

toussaud
05-01-2010, 09:01 PM
they need to bring the feds in to see how the hell calvin gets the freaking rail trip EVERY god dang race. something is going on there.

Hanover1
05-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Half those bastards are owners...who are we kidding here? Excuse me while I remove the smoke from my ass.......

PaceAdvantage
05-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Why the silly conspiracy theories? You guys can't possible believe that stuff, can you?

This year, it was called "tractable horse."

Noble's Promise had a pretty dreamy trip himself...but Willie Martinez just ain't no Calvin Borel it seems...plus even though Noble was a dual qualifier, it appears his breeding got the best of him late....it didn't help that Willie put him a few lengths closer to the pace than Calvin did with SS.

Cardus
05-01-2010, 11:04 PM
When Congress grabbed hold of the steroid in baseball and the horse slaughter issues, results were IMO dramatic.
One thing Congress can do is to focus an avalance of attention to the percieved major problems of racing, regardless of actual numbers. There are 50+ diabled jockeys being helped by the DJF. Breakdowns over all have remained about the same for at least decades= .15 to.20 percent of starts; BUT, Congress is at least smart enough to ask for starts per INJURY, which there is very little data on, except selected data like scratches, vet's lists, and for high profile, the number of Kentucky Derby qualifiers have gone out with injury. (I will give the number in my next post). Performance enhancing drug caught rate was .5%, BUT that last survey was close to 1994. The biggest cheating was the BC pick 6 scandal, BUT past-post betting was the integrity focus meaning a problem just recently, as was the off-shore betting stuff.
Most of my ideas like: Looking for signs of leg injuiries or soreness and studying the charts for track blame; Taking away stabling rights and adding 2 lbs. to carry weight for above drug violations; Banning Ca. tracks from using cancel delay; All can be inplemented very quickly, will have only positive outcome, and will show that the racing community is on top of things.
I'm still am of the opinion that the group who put the most money INTO racing, horseplayers and owners, should step forward as national organizations who can put pressure on racing.
Secretariat's owner was just interviewed in conjunction with the new Secretariat movie out this fall. She said "We shoulod honor the horses". What simpler but more visible way than to have a retirement ceremony for sound horses and present a $6.00 harness name p[late?
If some of these can be put into effect prior to Congressional hearings, I can go and testify about the very positive things, and refocus attention on Canadian and Nexican horse slaughter (transport controlled by USDA and D.O.T.).

Congress should ban Internet Land racing chat rooms.

Hanover1
05-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Adding more weight to a horse for a choice the trainer made?? Dude...that statement mady your whole post a tiring waste of your time and mine.....

Cardus
05-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Adding more weight to a horse for a choice the trainer made?? Dude...that statement mady your whole post a tiring waste of your time and mine.....

I think that he meant that the trainer should carry 2 lbs. more after a medication violation.

Hanover1
05-01-2010, 11:18 PM
I think that he meant that the trainer should carry 2 lbs. more after a medication violation.
The last time I was medicated it felt like a ton of bricks......

Robert Goren
05-01-2010, 11:20 PM
AS near as I can tell there is only one person in congress who is pro gambling and most gamblers would not even vote for him.;)

JustRalph
05-02-2010, 12:21 AM
AS near as I can tell there is only one person in congress who is pro gambling and most gamblers would not even vote for him.;)

he ran a house of prostitution too

Gambling, Prostitutes, he almost has the trifecta down

kenwoodall2
05-02-2010, 12:49 AM
It would be a walkover to find racing critics to blast injuries and bad tracks.
The anti-trust exemption for baseball made Congress think they can exact political payment from baseball on steroid use; To give horseracing special treatment Congress figures they need moves toward improving 3 major things from raciung- betting integrity, healthy horse and rider, and closer scrutiny of cheating trainers. :jump:
Yes, my idea for cheating trainers is loss of stable space, 2 lbs added to every horse trained by the person, both ideas nationawide enforcement for the length of the suspension (6 months minimum for performance enhancing drugs where 0 tolerance is allowed or gross overage).
Can stable allotment is done by the local tracks and 2 lbs can be written into the condition book in every race, by state authority is necessary.
All changes are easily installed, are very transparent to the public, and do not affect normal clean racing. NTRA already recently stated they are not going to do much more for awhile.
Congress specifically believes not enough has gotten done in 2 years.

Robert Goren
05-02-2010, 10:14 AM
It would be a walkover to find racing critics to blast injuries and bad tracks.
The anti-trust exemption for baseball made Congress think they can exact political payment from baseball on steroid use; To give horseracing special treatment Congress figures they need moves toward improving 3 major things from raciung- betting integrity, healthy horse and rider, and closer scrutiny of cheating trainers. :jump:
Yes, my idea for cheating trainers is loss of stable space, 2 lbs added to every horse trained by the person, both ideas nationawide enforcement for the length of the suspension (6 months minimum for performance enhancing drugs where 0 tolerance is allowed or gross overage).
Can stable allotment is done by the local tracks and 2 lbs can be written into the condition book in every race, by state authority is necessary.
All changes are easily installed, are very transparent to the public, and do not affect normal clean racing. NTRA already recently stated they are not going to do much more for awhile.
Congress specifically believes not enough has gotten done in 2 years. I can guarantee that congress would do none of that. If they did anything, the most likely outcomes would not be good for the gambler. More regulation (or outlawing) of ADWs and the requiring racetracks install a "safe" synthetic surface. As I said before, gamblers have very few friends in congress and a lot of enemies in powerful positions there. That is only going to get worse in the next few years. JMO

castaway01
05-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Yeah Ken, adding weight for the horses to carry because of the trainers' actions will go over well with PETA. Good call there---just what we need, punish the animals.

Obviously whatever problems racing has, the country is 10 times as screwed up and 1000 times further in debt, so the last thing we all need is Congress getting involved in anything. Like with most political movements, let's hope nothing happens.

kenwoodall2
05-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Yeah Ken, adding weight for the horses to carry because of the trainers' actions will go over well with PETA. Good call there---just what we need, punish the animals.

Obviously whatever problems racing has, the country is 10 times as screwed up and 1000 times further in debt, so the last thing we all need is Congress getting involved in anything. Like with most political movements, let's hope nothing happens.
From an interin Jockey Guild MGR, Haire:
"Haire:
There have been more discussions about increasing weights in the last two years. One thing is for sure, it's important to the health and safety of jockeys, so we're certain to hear more about it in the near future."
@ lbs off is also a poosibility, maybe allowing more women to ride races!!

Robert Goren
05-02-2010, 03:00 PM
From an interin Jockey Guild MGR, Haire:
"Haire:
There have been more discussions about increasing weights in the last two years. One thing is for sure, it's important to the health and safety of jockeys, so we're certain to hear more about it in the near future."
@ lbs off is also a poosibility, maybe allowing more women to ride races!! There has been talk of increasing Weights for as long as I have been going to the races. I started in 1965.

kenwoodall2
05-02-2010, 03:07 PM

"http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/blog/nsb050109_horseracing.html" State jockey weight reduction is one concern.

Thomas Roulston
05-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Integrity of the sport?

Start by going back to the traditional rules regarding coupled entries - and the fact that Super Saver and American Lion (same owner as well as same trainer) ran uncoupled in yesterday's Derby was obscene!

At least in graded stakes, uncoupled entries should be completely eliminated; in other races, a rule could be established where uncoupled entries would be allowed only if coupling such horses resulted in there being too few betting interests for the deepest exotic wager being offered on that race (trifecta, superfecta, etc.).

Indulto
05-03-2010, 02:45 AM
I can guarantee that congress would do none of that. If they did anything, the most likely outcomes would not be good for the gambler. More regulation (or outlawing) of ADWs and the requiring racetracks install a "safe" synthetic surface. As I said before, gamblers have very few friends in congress and a lot of enemies in powerful positions there. That is only going to get worse in the next few years. JMOI have no doubt that Federal government involvement would negatively impact professional gamblers, but I suspect the vast majority of recreational bettors would benefit from the centralization of authority only they would be able and willing to impose.

kenwoodall2
05-03-2010, 04:45 AM
"3001. Congressional findings and policy
(a) The Congress finds that—
(1) the States should have the primary responsibility for determining what forms of gambling may legally take place within their borders;
(2) the Federal Government should prevent interference by one State with the gambling policies of another, and should act to ****protect identifiable national interests; and
(3) in the limited area of interstate off-track wagering on horseraces, there is a need for Federal action to ensure States will continue to cooperate with one another in the acceptance of legal interstate wagers.
(b) It is the policy of the Congress in this chapter to regulate interstate commerce with respect to wagering on horseracing, in order to ***further the horseracing and legal off-track betting industries in the United States"

I can easily see where Congress could justify pressuring racing by declaring that the stopping of: Blantant drug violatins in horses; "Corrupt" horserace wagering practices or the lack of enforcement thereof, And allowing preventable risk of injury to horse and rider, is in the "national interest". AND is Constitution as per the preamble "In order to form a more perfect union". :lol: :p