PDA

View Full Version : OKC Thunder

cj
05-01-2010, 12:55 PM
I predict they will win a title in the next three years. They are young, tough, and learned a ton this year, particularly in the playoffs.

Tee
05-01-2010, 01:11 PM
They should have won last night. Westbrook throwing up bricks, Collison & Ibaka wondering around in their own little world.

Hopefully they have learned a ton & can move forward.

cj
05-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Yes, but Westbrook got them in the game late. He was nervous at the end I'm sure, but he is a superstar soon. From 23 wins to 50, and I'm thinking next year at least 55 and home court in the first round.

They are also a very good road team, rare for such a young group.

Valuist
05-01-2010, 02:46 PM
I hear there is an increasing possibility that OKC could sign Chris Bosh. Miami and Chicago have been favorites but supposedly their improvement has caught Bosh's eye.

Robert Goren
05-01-2010, 02:48 PM
All this begs the question. Just how bad are the Lakers right now?

Indulto
05-01-2010, 03:28 PM
I predict they will win a title in the next three years. They are young, tough, and learned a ton this year, particularly in the playoffs.All they need is a center with size and agility. I never saw them before this playoff series, but I'm impressed. The Lakers appear quite vulnerable, but Jackson seems to make adjustments better than other coaches (or is better at psyching out his players).

cj
05-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Many say the Lakers are vulnerable, but I'm not sure who in the west actually has a shot. I guess if anyone it would be San Antonio.

As for Bosh, they should have caught his eye. They beat the Raptors by about 100 in Toronto in March. I'm not sure the Thunder really wants to commit to him. They are going to have to pay Durant and Westbrook as superstars soon and Ibaka will make a great power foward soon. He would be a great short term fit, but I'm not sure OKC wants to abandon the long term plan that has brought them this far already. They do need a big, strong rebounding center.

ghostyapper
05-01-2010, 08:51 PM
They need a post up player/offensive rebound guy. Boozer would look real nice in a thunder uniform. If they were to sign him, I'd make them the favorites to win it all next year.

Valuist
05-01-2010, 10:24 PM
San Antonio clearly looks like a team who coasted during the season (makes sense) and has turned it up. Really no upset them beating Dallas since they are, and always have been, far superior defensively to the Mavs. No matter how talented you are, if you can't play D, you won't win in the NBA postseason (or NFL for that matter).

dav4463
05-02-2010, 02:59 AM
I love the way the Thunder play and I thought it was really cool of their fans to stick around and give them the long standing ovation.

I just wish somebody would've blocked out Pao Gasol !

As for the Spurs, they weren't really coasting. They had a bunch of new guys and a lot of injuries. But, they got healthy at the right time and it didn't hurt that they got to play Dallas (a perennial playoff choker)....hopefully the success continues against the Suns. Where is Robert Horry? We may sign him just to send Nash into the table with another hip check! GO SPURS GO !!!!

Speed Figure
05-02-2010, 03:36 AM
I predict they will win a title in the next three years. They are young, tough, and learned a ton this year, particularly in the playoffs.
I say they BOUNCE OFF THE BIG EFFORT!! no one thought they would improve like that, now teams will be ready and they will not be taken lightly. I don't see them winning a tittle in 3 years.

cj
05-02-2010, 09:50 AM
I say they BOUNCE OFF THE BIG EFFORT!! no one thought they would improve like that, now teams will be ready and they will not be taken lightly. I don't see them winning a tittle in 3 years.

No chance they "bounce". They weren't taken lightly after January 1st this year and it didn't matter. No team works harder than the Thunder. They draft and sign classy, hard working players...it is part of the plan. Headcases and trouble makers would never be accepted in a town like OKC.

chrisl
05-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Still miss them in Seattle...

Speed Figure
05-02-2010, 03:27 PM
They don't have a top 5 pick this year, what free agents are going to want to go there? can they keep there best players? things change when you win and I can't see them getting big time player's to go there. Is the owner going to spent above the cap? no way they win a title within 3 years.

Valuist
05-02-2010, 03:44 PM
They don't have a top 5 pick this year, what free agents are going to want to go there? can they keep there best players? things change when you win and I can't see them getting big time player's to go there. Is the owner going to spent above the cap? no way they win a title within 3 years.

Supposedly Bosh is considering them.

ghostyapper
05-04-2010, 11:46 AM

They've got a lot of dead weight in Etan Thomas, Earl Watson, and Harpring all coming off the books this summer, thats over 18 million off one of the lowest payrolls in the league already. All their stars are locked up with team options until the end of the 2012 season.

They sign one big time post up player (boozer/bosh) they will be at worst the 2nd betting choice to come out of the west.

cj
05-04-2010, 06:35 PM
They've got a lot of dead weight in Etan Thomas, Earl Watson, and Harpring all coming off the books this summer, thats over 18 million off one of the lowest payrolls in the league already. All their stars are locked up with team options until the end of the 2012 season.

They sign one big time post up player (boozer/bosh) they will be at worst the 2nd betting choice to come out of the west.

Earl Watson is already gone. Kevin Ollie is the guy. I honestly don't think the Thunder want to sign a big name guy right now. They have the guys they need outside maybe one big rebounder. You can only pay so many players. They know they need to save room for Durant (July 1 re-sign for sure), Westbrook, Green, Harden, and Ibaka. I suspect the owner will go above the cap if it is needed to get over the top, but that is a bit down the road.

The thinking that players won't want to come here is silly. Players will go where they can win and where they can get money, Turkoglu excpeted. Durant certainly isn't having any trouble getting endorsements or selling jerseys. If you can play, people notice.

It is also silly to think not having a top 5 draft pick matters. They have had a ton of top draft picks, that is how they have gotten good so fast. You can only have so many young guys. They have three picks between 21 and 32 this year. I hope they trade them all...they don't need them. I still think DJ White and Byron Mullens will turn out to be good players as well.

cj
05-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Supposedly Bosh is considering them.

I don't think the Thunder, however, are considering him.

Robert Goren
05-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Most truely great NBA player are top 5 picks, It is rare for someone like Paul Pierce did to slide to 10th or 11th. Of course a lot of top 5 picks are complete busts too. A late first rounder can develop into a very good player, but it usually takes time for them to even see many minutes. JMO

ghostyapper
05-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Watson's gone but they were still paying his salary. That comes off now. Though they are young, I don't see them getting that much better because usually improvements with youth comes on the defensive end and they are already a very good defensive team. Thats why if I were them I'd pounce on a boozer if he wants to come.

cj
05-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Most truely great NBA player are top 5 picks, It is rare for someone like Paul Pierce did to slide to 10th or 11th. Of course a lot of top 5 picks are complete busts too. A late first rounder can develop into a very good player, but it usually takes time for them to even see many minutes. JMO

I certainly understand that, but the Thunder have several top 5 picks already...Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Green...how many can one team have?

As for Watson, the Thunder were not responsible for any part of his contract last year. He was signed as a free agent. A guy like Boozer, who has been a malcontent for a few years in Utah, is not the kind of guy the Thunder would sign. Bosh would come way, way before him.

ghostyapper
05-04-2010, 10:37 PM
They signed Watson to a 5 year contract in 2005 with this being the last year of the contract where he was making 6.6 this year

cj
05-04-2010, 11:36 PM
They signed Watson to a 5 year contract in 2005 with this being the last year of the contract where he was making 6.6 this year

I know there was a buyout and the Thunder certainly aren't paying all the 6.6. At the very least, it is less the 2.8 Indiana is paying him.