PDA

View Full Version : Computer Help

Tom
08-22-2001, 10:18 PM
I have more than normal problems accessing the PDF charts on the DRF website. PP's and news are never a problem, but Charts take 40-50 tries and always over 30 mintues to get in there for 1 day's charts. Why is this? They can't help, they say it on my end. My question, what is it on my end? Why does my computer
have troulbe with only some website? DRF charts and CynPub postings, are always a crap shoot - always.
What can I fix? Or this just the legacy of the internet-not very reliable? I was never able to access anything on BrisBet for the thjree days I had an account, yet I never have had problems with BRIS. I posted at CynPun today and it took 45 minutes for the post to finally be completed. And it was no where near as long and rambling on and on as my posts here, like this one.
~G~
Thanks,
Tom

Larry Hamilton
08-22-2001, 11:00 PM
I suspect your problem is not on your end and certainly not on BRIS end....

I think, based on what you have said, that you have an el cheapo ISP, or a slooooow modem. Are you paying less than 20 bucks a month for you ISP? IT is possible that CODE RED messed up some lines to you and you are paying for it.

When I had AOL and MSN, someone advised me that my ISP may have been my problem....The only way to prove it is get 2 isp's and compare the fast times against the slow times...If this proves what I have said..spring for the extra and get a DSL or cable modem

Larry

4thandlong
08-23-2001, 01:03 AM
My guess is it's your browser. Do you use Nutscrape, er, Netscape?

If you are and it's version 4.7x, try the newest ver. 6.1 (it's much better than 6.0)

Tom
08-23-2001, 07:59 AM
Actually, I have high-speed cable modem and the latest version of IE.
Tom

Dave Schwartz
08-23-2001, 10:05 AM
Tom,

If you have a high speed cable connection, then you have no problem. <G>

It appears that you have a SUPPOSEDLY high speed cable modem connection.

Try this... Search for and download a product called NeoTrace. Then check out the visual links between your computer and BRIS. You will be able to see whhich link is creating the problem.

Now, whether or not you can get anyone to listen at your provider is another story.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Lefty
08-23-2001, 12:11 PM
Tom, I have my prblms too with certain websites. I have
no probs. with Bris, TSN, Trkmast, etc. but constantly
get fatal exceptions when I DL from HDW. At Cynpub,
posting usually takes 5-10 min. to go through. I've
been told to take everything off computer and put back
in prgm by prgm. I say screw it. It's the Gremlins.

MikeH
08-23-2001, 02:07 PM
Tom -

1) BrisBet uses encryption, while much of the Brisnet site does not. I'm not sure if this is part of your problem, just an observation.

2) I would go to the Start Menu, and clean out everything in the "Startup" folder. I would remove everything else in the "Start Menu Program" that is also on your desktop.

3) If you have Norton, run their "system check," and use the "let me choose how to fix..." instead of automatic. If you don't understand something that Norton wants to fix, don't fix it. But try to DELETE as much as possible; don't let Norton link an existing file to another one because it can't find the original file. After a while you'll get more comfortable with deleting items in the Norton System check. [This paragraph might not make much sense until you are in the Norton program...]

3) Install Netscape 3.0, and disable Java and Javascript. Use Netscape 3.0 to surf unless you need something more powerful. This gets rid of lots of the "Pop-under" Ads and other things that some of the complicated sites use that you don't need... If you want me to e-mail you 3.0, send me a private message here with your e-mail address.

4) If you don't have Norton, run the Microsoft "Defrag" command to defragment your disk. This may take a while (1/2 hour or more), especially the first time you run it.

Tom
08-23-2001, 09:05 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions. I will try them all.
Nice thing about this board, we can all disagree or argue, then someone has a problem and help comes out of the woodwork.
Tom

Rick Ransom
08-23-2001, 11:22 PM
Tom,

I'll second that opinion. You guys are really great! I don't have any problem with people who have an opinion. I can either decide to agree or disagree with them but I always learn something. The one's we see so often in the "real world" without an opinion are the one's who bother me. Now if we could just convince them not to vote....