PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a closer?

JPinMaryland
05-01-2010, 01:01 AM
One of Beyer's choices seems to be Ice Box; a horse I hadnt considered. It took him 4x to break his maiden which is never a good sign; OTOH he finished quite strong in the FL derby as he won by long nose; prolly moving at a 25 sec final quarter which might be enuf. Another one prolly rapidly improving he won the Fl dby at 21-1....

Best thing about him. Seems to navigate through traffic quite well. If he can find a dry outside path tomorrow that might be all it takes.

Biggest red flag: 4x to break maiden; that would be an auto toss for me in a normal field but this field is not normal.

Oh the other thing: if this track comes up mud, I dont see how closers are going to get up there..

PhantomOnTour
05-01-2010, 01:22 AM
The best closer (he who runs the stretch the fastest) is Sidney's Candy, period. Problem is, he likes the front and gets there in slow times. If he can rate he will be running fastest in the last 1/4m.

JPinMaryland
05-01-2010, 01:57 AM
I dont trust closing time on synthetic tracks. Also short Calif fields are suspect but they tell me these horses are doing well when they transition onto dirt this year. But basically making late move on synth is not the same as on dirt.

JPinMaryland
05-01-2010, 06:54 PM
should have left him on my exotics, not too happy about dropping him at the last minute...

Tom
05-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Biggest red flag: 4x to break maiden; that would be an auto toss for me in a normal field but this field is not normal.

I used to think that way, too, and breaking in a claimers was an auto throw out. I learned the hard way after years that you have to draw line under the race where they finally put it together and throw out the past. Horses develop differently.

JustRalph
05-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Looked like Sidney's Candy went wrong

JPinMaryland
05-01-2010, 07:04 PM
yes they do (develop different). I had Line of David in exotics even though he took 4x to break as well, if they are developing fast then I guess this reasoning doesnt work.

JPinMaryland
05-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Looked like Sidney's Candy went wrong

was he hurt? I know he was up there for awhile then faded..