PDA

View Full Version : Should they Postpone the Derby Card till next week?

andymays
04-30-2010, 11:05 AM
If the weather is too extreme should they run next week?

Going next week would cause a lot of problems but............

Any opinions?

QuarterCrack
04-30-2010, 11:18 AM
Would that require bumping all of the other triple crown races?

Probably too difficult to pull off logistically. TV contracts, the whole bit.

Sundown
04-30-2010, 11:19 AM
As long as it is safe run tomorrow.

andymays
04-30-2010, 11:33 AM
For the record I don't mind the slop at all.

What ruins the day for me are the turf races when it pours and the turf gets soft. The horses that end up in the bad lanes (usually inside) have no chance.

GaryG
04-30-2010, 11:51 AM
I was at Monmouth on a day the races were cancelled after 5 races. It was a monsoon with driving rain and also fog. Visibility was near zero and the track was a quagmire. They had no choice but to cancel. Short of a monsoon though, they will run tomorrow.

PaceAdvantage
04-30-2010, 11:55 AM
First off, the official NOAA.ORG weather forecast is calling for a mere 1 to 2 inches Saturday. If you combine Saturday through Sunday night, you get a max forecast of SEVEN (yikes!) inches...but with only 1-2 inches on Saturday, I think the Derby is safe.

That's plenty of rain, but nothing unheard of.

Of course, this will give the pro-synthetic track movement plenty of ammunition...but we can just point them to Personal Ensign's BC Distaff EPIC to show just how exciting racing on off tracks at Churchill Downs can be...we've got plenty of history on our side...

andicap
04-30-2010, 12:11 PM
How about locusts? Would they postpone if they get locusts?

Just asking.

MNslappy
04-30-2010, 12:26 PM
I lol'd :D

Watcher
04-30-2010, 12:38 PM
First off, the official NOAA.ORG weather forecast is calling for a mere 1 to 2 inches Saturday. If you combine Saturday through Sunday night, you get a max forecast of SEVEN (yikes!) inches...but with only 1-2 inches on Saturday, I think the Derby is safe.

That's plenty of rain, but nothing unheard of.

Of course, this will give the pro-synthetic track movement plenty of ammunition...but we can just point them to Personal Ensign's BC Distaff EPIC to show just how exciting racing on off tracks at Churchill Downs can be...we've got plenty of history on our side...
Ammunition? If the sprinklers hit the Santa Anita track this winter they cancelled due to drainage problems.

ddog
04-30-2010, 12:47 PM
The rain ain't the thang, if you have a light and/or boomer show in that area with the crowd and all, you could have a REAL EXCITING time.

Be careful out there boys.

horses4courses
04-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Maybe just have 'em all head down the road to Keeneland and run the KY Derby on the synthetic? ;)

Java Gold@TFT
04-30-2010, 01:38 PM
Anyone around for Birdstone's Travers. They bumped post time by 5 minutes but still couldn't beat the T'storm that hit during the race. Very scary but as long as the jocks don't boycott due to track conditions - the show must go on.

andymays
04-30-2010, 03:19 PM
Churchill May Cancel May 1 Workouts | BloodHorse.com

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/56780/churchill-may-cancel-may-1-workouts

Excerpt:

With a forecast of rain overnight and heavy thunderstorms in Louisville, Ky., there is a possibility that training at Churchill Downs will be cancelled May 1, according to track superintendent Butch Lehr.

"If the weather is really bad, there is a possibility we will not let them out there," Lehr said April 30, as sunny skies baked the large crowd on hand for the Kentucky Oaks (gr. I).

Excerpt:

Lehr said the timing of any April 30-May 1 rain is critical. He said that water would be applied to the track throughout the Oaks card since the wind is blowing at 15-20 miles per hour. Following the April 30 races, the track will be harrowed and sealed, allowing any overnight rain to drain off.

Sundown
04-30-2010, 03:46 PM
First off, the official NOAA.ORG weather forecast...

Keep in mind those folks job is to keep us safe, so they're always going with the long-shots.

andymays
04-30-2010, 05:22 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/56788/derby-forecast-improves-officials-convene

Excerpt:

Although the weather forecast has improved from the severe storms that were previously predicted, there is still a chance of heavy rainfall, as well as winds of up to 20 miles per hour during the afternoon.

Excerpt:

Hamilton said he and other officials have discussed various scenarios that would require moving a considerable amount of people in the case of a tornado warning.

“We’ve discussed what those steps and levels would be…and where we would take them in the event it was necessary," Hamilton said. "With the advanced technology of the weather system…there may be (a tornado warning) one for Jefferson county, but the neighborhood of Churchill may not be at risk. We have the technology to tell us when it’s coming.”

Darren Rogers, senior director of communications said the Kentucky Derby would be postponed in the event of lightening or a washout. The call to delay any race would come from John Veitch of the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission, not Churchill Downs officials. In the event of a delay, the race could be raced under Churchill’s lights.

DeanT
04-30-2010, 07:36 PM
In the event of a delay, the race could be raced under Churchill’s lights.
Not that I would like to see that happen of course..... but wow, what a story that would be.

WinterTriangle
04-30-2010, 07:51 PM
MTB ran fine last year in slop.

Looking out the window, thunderstorms just passed, and horses are cavorting around in the pastures across the road. Some of them never go into the barn when it pours rain.

andymays
05-01-2010, 05:53 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Sat
May 16 am68° FPrecip:
95%
7 am70° FPrecip:
100%
8 am70° FPrecip:
100%
9 am70° FPrecip:
100%
10 am71° FPrecip:
100%
11 am72° FPrecip:
100%
12 pm74° FPrecip:
70%
1 pm74° FPrecip:

joanied
05-01-2010, 12:43 PM
I think unless they have lightning, the race will go...can you imagine if they have to cancel...well over 100,000 people leaving and having to come back tomorrow...what a nightmare. But my vote was for running on Sunday...for obvious reasons...the next two legs!!

andymays
05-01-2010, 02:49 PM
No Umbrellas allowed according to Courtney Friel of Fox News.

If it was Del Mar you know they would have a wet tee shirt contest. :)

Java Gold@TFT
05-01-2010, 03:16 PM
No Umbrellas allowed according to Courtney Friel of Fox News.

If it was Del Mar you know they would have a wet tee shirt contest. :)
Andy, At Churchill they wander the infield with "SUYT" T- shirts with the Naval flags representing SUYT. You can figure it out.

andymays
05-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Andy, At Churchill they wander the infield with "SUYT" T- shirts with the Naval flags representing SUYT. You can figure it out.

Somehow it all seems a little more appropriate at Del Mar in August. :D

Tom
05-02-2010, 12:25 AM
Ammunition? If the sprinklers hit the Santa Anita track this winter they cancelled due to drainage problems.

Once, a guy spilled a beer in the grandstand and they canceled

OTM Al
05-02-2010, 08:33 AM
On review of yesterday's wagering success, they most certainly should have postponed to a point where I will be no where near a computer. At least I was smart enough not to bet as much as I do in most years....