PDA

View Full Version : Board contests

Suff
07-21-2003, 11:13 AM
This has nothing to do with horse racing so I'll tuck it here.

About this software contest.

Remember we had what ? 17 boards or 13 boards? Think it was 17. For the Interboard.

Two things. First off, the contest was enjoyable but I'll be the first to admit it went sideways and was a "Bust". And I apologize to the guys that tried to tell me THEN it would never work.

But I was a stubborn bastard and I got my way...and I blew it.

But can I infuse a Little wisdom into that Software contest thread and into the Board in general?

I did 100% of the recruiting for that contest. 13 or 14 of the boards that participated I went out and sought thier participation.

I talked 14 boards and 85 people into playing a contest on someone elses board`under our rules. ( and can I get an AMEN for that!!! ) I know a little sumthin sumthin about different opinions, and objections and general all around " I want this Rule" inserted into the contest.

Remember 85 played. 500 opinionated.

*yes I know the commercial concerns significantly alter the dynamic. But lets face it. 3/4's of the Boards that played sell selections and/or software.

Dave schwartz and I probably have very little in common as far as the way we handicapp and wager. We're probably polar opposites. But whats bring us together at saratoga isn't that anyway. It's the love and Passion for the sport. That's what brings him and I together on this Board. and that's what Brought 17 other boards here to compete this Spring.

And THAT is what this board is about.

Not about who has the best...who is smarter, who has the best software, who can pick longshots. Thats all Horse babble around what really matters.

PLaying the Game at a level of profitabilty or at a loss that justifies your personal gratification.

I hope the people following the software contest thread have a little more respect for what PA, CJ and I have accomplished on this
Board. We've had the RidersUp PIK4, The interboard and the AAC contest inside of 9 months. All were enjoyable. Extremely enjoyable for me because I Dig that sort of shit.

I had members tell me to STFU, Screw, et al .. when I was trying to get that contest going. I may have f***ed it up.. But I did get it going and next year we'll improve it. But I took a few Upper Cuts and just Forged ahead. And PA took the reins and ran an excellent contest. Virtually every board left by saying

"PA....Unbeliavable JOB....!!!

Lets face it. PA especially , but all of us (I hope) took a little pride in the fact that the contest was "First Class". I don't think there are two other Boards on the internet that coulda done what we did. and we did it with STYLE!!! and intregity and class.

KUDO's to us.

Our common thread came through in that contest. Our Love and passion for the game.

Thats what the software Contest idea could use. And maybe thats what we all need to remind ourselves.

Trijack
07-21-2003, 04:35 PM
Suff

LOVE AND PASSION FOR THE GAME.

You said it all. That is what this game is all about