PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Oaks - Is it worth it?

keithw84
04-28-2010, 01:42 PM
Here is my situation: I am flying into Indianapolis Friday morning to run a half-marathon Sunday morning in Cincinnati. I am considering swinging down to Louisville first to catch Oaks Day. I definitely want to see the LaTroienne, and would really enjoy the Alysheba and Oaks as well.

With the half-marathon coming up, I will not be indulging in any mint juleps, and am not going for the infield experience (I’ve been to the Derby the last two years so don’t worry… I have experienced it!)

My question is: Is it worth it to go to Churchill Downs or should I just watch via simulcast at one of the other tracks in the area?

I know how hard it is to see a horse run on Derby day. Is the Oaks any different? Are there any good spots to watch a race from without paying extravagant amts of money?

sandpit
04-28-2010, 08:45 PM
I'm tempted to tell you to skip it, but with Rachel running and a full gate in the Oaks, plus the rest of the card being very good, I'd say you should make the trip. It's not that far of a drive, as you probably know. If you pay general admission of $40 or $50, I believe, you can often find someone walking around inside the place that has extra space in their box and they will let you sit with them. Has happened to me on numerous occasions. People are in such a party mood that generosity flows like the mint juleps...

keithw84
04-29-2010, 06:45 PM
Yeah, it will be hard to pass up. If I don't go to CD, I would probably watch at River Downs. Never been there before.

joanied
04-29-2010, 09:16 PM
Oh my...how could you not go...the weather should be OK for Oaks Day...and you'll asee some of the best distaffers in the country...go, go, go:jump: :jump: :jump:

The Hawk
04-29-2010, 09:18 PM
It's going to be a great day, weather-wise, and it's a nice card. However, the crowds are only slightly lighter than on Derby Day, and you're not going to have a seat. That said, I don't know how you can pass it up.