View Full Version : Use of the whip

karlskorner
08-22-2001, 03:27 PM
Good article in Bloodhorse on the use of a whip

http://opinions.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=5507

Karl

Observer
08-22-2001, 04:20 PM
This topic always gets my fire going. There are so many riders out there, who based on their use of the whip, you'd think they just started riding.

Anyone whose ever been on a horse knows how horses respond to the whip. From my own experiences, most horses don't even need to be hit. I've ridden horses that speed up as soon as they see the whip move, especially if it heads behind the riders leg. I even rode a horse who would speed up if he felt your hands coming together as if you were going to take your whip hand off the reigns.

Obviously there comes a point when hitting horses is absolutely and completely pointless. They can only run so fast, and when they reach deep stretch and the jocks have been pounding away on the horses' hides the past two furlongs, how much more could these horses have left to give??

Not only that, but some riders give the impression that the harder a horse is belted, the faster that horse will run. Some of the biggest names in the game unleash very powerful blows.

The whip should be used as a gentle reminder to the horse. In basic equitation, the whip is an aide for when the horse is not responding to a rider's leg, or other means of encouragement.

However, I think there is a catch-22 to the use of the whip in the racing game. How many bettors will complain a jock isn't trying if the horse isn't being pelted? Too many. Even casual fans will slap their legs or hands with a rolled-up program as if their whipping action will be tranferred to their horses.

Change of Public Perception regarding whips needs to be two-fold. One, make the needed changes so the perception of those who find it abusive is diminished, and two, change the perception of those who think whipping is the only way to encourage a horse to run faster.

Tom
08-22-2001, 08:00 PM
Great Post. I agree 100%. The whip should be outlawed. Period. If a horse cannot give his all under riding and urging, then let him lose. There is nothing gained by punishing these poor animals.
These some peole whipping themselves are also yelling,
"Come on, 7, 7,7,7,7,7. get up 7! 7-3,7-3,7-3,,,,,"
For crying out loud, can't they remember the horse's name for 5 minutes?

The use of a whip on riders and stewards, however, is another issue ~G~.

Tom

Lefty
08-23-2001, 12:17 PM
Tom, Observer, I agree completely. Outlaw the whip.
You guys said so well nothing to add, just my vote.

Observer
08-23-2001, 12:27 PM
Tom,

EXACTLY!!! Ugh! That's another thing that drives me nuts .. when the horses are reduced to numbers and not names.