PDA

View Full Version : Handicapping the Derby with Devil May Care

keithw84
04-27-2010, 12:06 AM
What do you guys do when handicapping a race where a female is facing males for the first time - like Devil May Care in the Derby? Do you look at the exact same things you look for in the males, or is it different since she has been facing different company until now?

46zilzal
04-27-2010, 12:09 AM
What do you guys do when handicapping a race where a female is facing males for the first time - like Devil May Care in the Derby? Do you look at the exact same things you look for in the males, or is it different since she has been facing different company until now?
cap it no differently as one would Eight Belles a few years back.

Look at the pace of race the horse contended against and how the horse reacted to that.

If both are competitive that is all you need to know. Then compare that rating to the others and make your wagering decisions.

Horses run against paces and then against one another.

Hanover1
04-27-2010, 12:13 AM
For my money- I need to see if she appears physically imposing, or at least be able to hold her own appearance wise. If it appears she is slight compared to the majority of the field, I need to see flashy numbers she can/should flat outrun them vs mixing it up in company all the way around. I want to feel good about any intimidation factor vs opposite. Outside of that its just another race. Look to see if she shows any signs of rankness around the colts during saddle/parade as well. Not a deal to wager on in advance for me. I gotta see how the flesh acts.

dansan
04-27-2010, 12:45 AM
I would only bet a female in the race if borel in the jock! :ThmbUp:

cuzimahustler
04-27-2010, 02:12 AM
Easy throw out.

nijinski
04-27-2010, 02:15 AM
Alot of talent , but easly distracted .