PDA

View Full Version : Is the Kentucky Derby worth the trip?

only11
04-26-2010, 07:02 PM
I have attended the World Series,Stanley Cup,Ncaa Elite,Super Bowl...

Is the Kentucky Derby worth all the hype?Is it worth the hassel?

Im thinking about going next year...

Cratos
04-26-2010, 08:11 PM

My first Ky Derby was the classic Alydar-Affirmed duel in 1978 and I have not missed another since. To answer your qestion, yes it is worth all of the hype.

GaryG
04-26-2010, 08:14 PM
I think everyone should go at least once, sort of like a pilgrimage. it is a supreme hassle and good seats are hard to get. It is also expensive. But there is nothing like it. I can still hear the crowd when SS beat EG in 89.

46zilzal
04-26-2010, 08:19 PM
Unless you have an "in" (tour, friend, corporate box etc) it is not worth it....MUCH better to go there in the Fall or later in the season....that is if you like getting stepped on, wet, grossed out by getting packed in like sardines and then not even seeing the race, let alone wagering, then by all means go there and pay double for everything in sight.

sandpit
04-26-2010, 08:27 PM

If you paid to get in the Super Bowl, then cost certainly won't be an issue for a Derby Box, unless you try to get the prime seats. Anytime you go to a major sporting event, you are packed in and the crowds are massive, and the Derby is no different. Weather is a huge factor there, because if it's bad, you are screwed because of how long the day is.

You will see more beautiful women there than at any one single event anywhere, if you are into that sort of thing.

cj's dad
04-26-2010, 08:41 PM

Only if you have seats- if not you are confined to the area under the grandstand/clubhouse and it's like being at any other track and watching on TV.

Cratos
04-26-2010, 09:08 PM
Only if you have seats- if not you are confined to the area under the grandstand/clubhouse and it's like being at any other track and watching on TV.

I agree, but being there is worth the price of good seats which can be gotten from many ticket outlets

Tom
04-26-2010, 09:34 PM
I enjoy the race too much to ever go see it in person.

Rookies
04-26-2010, 10:48 PM
Go to the Spa...

Waaaay more enjoyable and you can see all the races up close without 100k in the way...

The Hawk
04-26-2010, 11:05 PM
Go to the Spa...

Waaaay more enjoyable and you can see all the races up close without 100k in the way...

I've been to both many times. No comparison. Saratoga is cool, the Derby is an experience.

Definitely go AT LEAST once.

BIG49010
04-26-2010, 11:20 PM
If you go, consider that 95% of the seats are at the same level as the one you are sitting in, you look at the guys head in front of you. So you better be real tall, or your screwed, or spend the money for a box, etc. The drinking, etc. is fun, but you can do that in the comfort of your own living room, and invite over people you enjoy to be with. If you plan to play the card, betting on the races just before the derby are almost impossible to bet, because morons are betting the derby early. When they play My Old Ky Home, you could shoot a gun off and not hit anybody at a betting window.

I did it 17 years in a row, and my wife got sick, and a friend put my tickets on Ebay. The next year Churchill revoked my tickets that had been in my family for 47 years. Needless to say Churchill is not one of my favorite tracks.

jonnielu
04-26-2010, 11:20 PM

Do it at least once to put it on the list, but, if you are looking to get as close to it without being there, squashed up against a fence, go to Keeneland's Derby party.

Lexington brings the coolers and the chairs, and has a blast.

jdl