PDA

View Full Version : I am back to the 1st versions

douglasw32
04-25-2010, 02:39 PM
I have been using the original version I made in VB and the very first one Handi cooked up, $1.00 data file gives me a past performance of just the LAST 3, with rating on only last 3.

Then the first version from handi goes back 5 deep (I think)

I use that same $1.00 datafile on the ONE CLICK PONY website, and I use the Saratoga Pink Sheet settings.

I also use the Full Card Reports, colorized Diamond Report and the Performance Report.

Those 5 things give me a good understanding of the race.

Quick and easy to get.

Now here comes the WHY?

For one, I am off windows and on linux (I lost everything and I am done ! with windows)

I had what I thought was a backup only to find out it was never done completely.

I have the source code for some version (who knows what one, but it is in VB and needs windows, I have handi's newest)

Oh I may dabble on a windows machine, but for my day in , day out laptop I am on UBUNTU, I can run the above mentioned files in WINE just fine, and the other 2 are web based.

I am going to repackage the two old dogs and consider it a working linux release.

I am sure the new on would work in WINE also on linux, but this is working for me so I am just going to go along the K.I.S.S. route for now, until I learn to program in a new language then maybe I will combine all I have learned from handi and head's work and ALL of the comments on ALL of the posts here.

I just once again want to Thank Everyone for all the comments and work, and I like everyone else have found my own way to use what we ave all put out there.

michiken
04-25-2010, 07:13 PM
Doug,

Sorry to hear that you lost all of your windows stuff. If you did not format over your old windows partition, did you try mounting it from Ubuntu to retrieve the data? (This is one benefit of using a dual boot system - using Linux to recover the windows data).

For my new job assignment in South Bend, I brought an old obsolete laptop rather than hauling my complete desktop. Since it was collecting dust and had Windows ME on it, I formatted it with Ubuntu.

Having only 512 mb ram, Ubuntu was running kind of slow. I used Synaptic to intstall Xubuntu (http://xubuntu.org/)-desktop which uses much less resources. Give it a try when you have a chance.

I am sure that you can find a way to code VB in Linux, just google the solution.

douglasw32
04-25-2010, 08:36 PM
I can install virtual box and virtualize a windows system to code in VB, but since that is the only language I ever learned and "barely" I was thinking maybe Java or something cross platform would be a better way to spend my free time.

I said ubuntu, but it is actually LUBUNTU with a bunch of packages added.

and I love it.

Zoot
04-27-2010, 02:09 PM
If you want to live outside the Windows world and leverage previous experience with VB you might want to take a look at Real Studio (until the latest version known as RealBasic). Just Google RealBasic, Real Studio, or Real Software. Plenty of info available. Not free but relatively inexpensive to get started with and can be you can develop apps in Linux, Windows, or Mac. Well supported both by the company and a long standing and extensive community.

douglasw32
04-27-2010, 02:32 PM
Thanks !!!!

togatrigger
04-27-2010, 04:58 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss.

I recently had a crashed drive and they want 1700$ for repair. I don't think I"m going to do it. But I did build a new computer in the process and threw on linux, which I have been using at work --where I write cross platform software.

Anyway, I second that realbasic suggestion. We use RealBasic for our GUI and it works great. It's not my favorite, that would be ML and C --both of which we use for our logic), but it integrates well with OSX, linux and windows. Of course, it is closed source and proprietary; which I don't like at all, but since we only use it for our GUI and we have a command line interface using ncurses, it's not a big deal.

douglasw32
04-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Can JAVA do what we do with Basic ?

Handiman
04-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Would you Geeks speak English....:lol: I'm having trouble following this conversation.

So Doug, what should I do with Handifast? Just let it go

Handi:)

douglasw32
04-27-2010, 10:19 PM
GOD NO!

togatrigger
04-28-2010, 10:38 AM
Can JAVA do what we do with Basic ?

Any turing complete language can do what basic does.

douglasw32
04-28-2010, 02:14 PM
What would be best for cross platform?

dukeofperl
04-28-2010, 02:45 PM
For one, I am off windows and on linux (I lost everything and I am done ! with windows)

I had what I thought was a backup only to find out it was never done completely.

If your hard drive still works (spins up when power is applied) and you haven't formatted it yet .... this gadget (or similar) will allow you to retrieve the data.

http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/view_detail/393

douglasw32
04-28-2010, 03:02 PM
That is cool ... thanks, unfortunately it is a physical failure of the arm =(
drivesavers is my only hope but not for the thousands they want

togatrigger
04-28-2010, 05:58 PM
For x-platform most modern languages should be fine. Java included. Java is a good choice, I'd say. easy to build GUIs, lots of libraries to make tasks easy, it's mostly open source, and isn't going anywhere as a language for some time.