PDA

View Full Version : New Formulator(DRF).

gillenr
04-25-2010, 01:50 PM
Just playing around with today's freebee, & found that the PDF doesn't show merged workout surface symbols.
Am I doing something wrong?
Are there other problems you've found?
Thanks

HUSKER55
04-25-2010, 09:39 PM
I THINK YOU HAVE TO ADJUST THE SETTINGS FOR THAT.

Marc At DRF
05-25-2010, 01:42 PM
Nice catch, Gillenr.
Synth symbols on workouts not showing in the PDF version of a Formulator race. Fix should be in place today/tomorrow.

gillenr
05-25-2010, 02:23 PM
Glad to see you're still around.

098poi
05-25-2010, 09:21 PM
Marc at DRF if you are there I have one request.

The ability to view one of the last 3 races charts is great but sometimes I may handicap a race after it's done and your database gets updated so if I look at the chart the horse in questions name will be in italics meaning it won its next start which is today! That kind of ruins it for me. Can you make it so that doesn't update for 24 hrs by which time the interactive feature no longer works anyway. I hope this is not too confusing.

Marc At DRF
05-26-2010, 01:29 PM
098poi--Let me see if we have any other requests like that.

But that said, if we're going to make changes anywhere, it will be in the web version--we no longer develop the software version. I'm figuring you're one of the customers left on the software version, because you mention chart access for the last 3 races. In the web version, it's the last 5 races.

Tom
05-26-2010, 03:00 PM
MY 2cents?

I think the print from the web version is very slow getting the PDF.
I use the old version for the export capability...is that planned for the web version anytime soon?

Marc At DRF
05-28-2010, 01:59 PM
On the slow-ish conversion for the PDF creation, yeah, we'd like to improve the speed there. Part of it is it's creating a pretty complicated 40+ page PDF from scratch. But faster would be better.

It's a significant project to move the export function to the web, and one we have budgeted, but not prioritized for the next couple months. I don't think it happens til at least fall.

Steve 'StatMan'
05-28-2010, 02:25 PM
I really enjoy the new version of Formulator, as I did the software one. I VERY MUCH APPRECIATE the Import Notes function from the 'Software' version. I've been using that function to generate comma-delimited files in the notes format off my home-grown system, and import them and my own info directly into the pps that way. (Propriatary speed figs & notes from Scott McMannis automatically adjusted for each horse's beaten lengths vs. typing for each horse in the notes, etc.) I've also extract text data from his trainer book, and import that into the horse's notes at the bottom. Great to have so much data automatically filled in. I've converted Scott and a few of his subscribers to buying DRF Formulator subscriptions so they can import my note files and use Scott's info much faster. Obviosly I hope that Import Notes feature stays, and learned Dave Litfin does something similiar for his own customers. I probably shouldn't have given away my biggest secret, but I made this on my own for myself during the Software Formulator Only days. Big help not having to transfer notes into the pps, and instead have it all filled into my pps. Plus I no longer have a need to write my own PP generating programs with my/his figs & notes as I did for just myself in the past - no more updating & upgrading that stuff. And now I/we can share information legally, but sending a file of info that gets added to an already purchased set of PPs!

Truly Good Stuff DRF! Mark, glad to see you on here again.

xtb
05-28-2010, 02:57 PM
It's a significant project to move the export function to the web, and one we have budgeted, but not prioritized for the next couple months. I don't think it happens til at least fall.

The export capability of the web version has been a "few months away" for several years now. I don't understand why DRF can't just make the files available for download.

Steve 'StatMan'
05-28-2010, 03:00 PM
You can still download them on the software version, so if you're using a platform that version supports, you can download files if you want to export to comma-delimited.

Remember, their Online version controls the usage (opening and closing, customizing etc.) while online, and verifies the customer by his long-in ID. So unless they change the format, just downloading all files wouldn't get you any further from what I can see. Although downloading all for use as Exporting, that I could definitely see as a need, once one can Export.

PhantomOnTour
05-28-2010, 03:00 PM
I see DRF has now added owner stats to their Formulator pp's. I have held out long enough and this may be the feature that clinches the purchase for me. I grew up on DRF style pp's (who at my age didn't?) and have given BRIS a shot this year, but honestly I miss the old style, even though I can get BRIS pp's for free.
The trainer filters are too good to pass up,imo, and I will try a monthly plan for June.

BombsAway Bob
05-28-2010, 03:01 PM
On the slow-ish conversion for the PDF creation, yeah, we'd like to improve the speed there. Part of it is it's creating a pretty complicated 40+ page PDF from scratch. But faster would be better.
Hi Mark!
I was wondering if you could use a lighter tone setting on the DRF online PP's.
Even by putting my Black ink settings at the lightest tones on my printer, & using the graytone function, it still prints very dark.
Los Alamitos QH PP's, purchased from their website,for example, have a lighter tone setting to start in their PDF files, & it uses a lot less ink over weeks of printing PP's..
if not, cool. -Bob

turfnsport
05-28-2010, 04:23 PM
Quote form Jack Libeau, president of Hollywood Park speaking of filling races:
"Everybody doesn't want to be in a race unless they think they can win it or that they're going to be the favorite. I think looking back on it, I think the worst thing that ever happened, and I'm all for transparency, but putting the statistics in the (Racing) Form as far as what the (trainers') winning percentages are is something I don't think has helped."

IMHO: DRF Formulator is the best thing since sliced bread, but I guess you can't please everyone. :lol:

Steve 'StatMan'
05-28-2010, 05:39 PM
Quote form Jack Libeau, president of Hollywood Park speaking of filling races:
"Everybody doesn't want to be in a race unless they think they can win it or that they're going to be the favorite. I think looking back on it, I think the worst thing that ever happened, and I'm all for transparency, but putting the statistics in the (Racing) Form as far as what the (trainers') winning percentages are is something I don't think has helped."

Maybe we could at least ban the Owners, Trainers & Jockeys from accessing the DRF, BRISnet and all other PPS services! Maybe then they'd all become believers in their horses and enter like the old days. Meanwhile the rest of us can know the realities of the game and wager smartly. :cool:

I know, I know, the ideal betting situation would be to have the only PPS & data and everyone else left in the dark. ;)

xtb
05-28-2010, 06:17 PM
You can still download them on the software version, so if you're using a platform that version supports, you can download files if you want to export to comma-delimited.

Remember, their Online version controls the usage (opening and closing, customizing etc.) while online, and verifies the customer by his long-in ID. So unless they change the format, just downloading all files wouldn't get you any further from what I can see. Although downloading all for use as Exporting, that I could definitely see as a need, once one can Export.

I know the old unsupported s/w still works to download and export to .csv files (unless you're on Linux). My point was that I don't understand why all the monkeyfarting around to download and then export, why not just have .csv files that can be downloaded from the DRF site if one does not care about Formulator? It's been a while since I've used it but the last I knew, it wasn't possible to export Pinnacle because the track opened after support for the Formulator s/w ended.