PDA

View Full Version : McAfee goofs up

Robert Goren
04-23-2010, 12:43 AM
McAfee sent out an update that did what it is suppose to stop, computers crashing. It is kind of funny unless you happened to be someone receiving the update.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/194776/mcafee_error_little_relief_in_sight.html

JustRalph
04-23-2010, 01:09 AM
got emails and calls on it this morning from some old Customers

I have hated this company for a long time

automatic updates-suck

never let them happen........that includes windows updates

Hoofhearted
04-23-2010, 02:34 AM
Ralph, how do I prevent automatic update notifications from popping up on my screen at start-up. Is there any way to disable this?
I have at least three of these notifications each time I boot-up -- JavaUpcheck, Windows Update etc etc. It's a pain.
I'm running a Vista machine, btw.
I'ld be grateful for any advice. Thanks in advance.

JustRalph
04-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Every program usually allows you to stop auto updates somewhere in their settings......... here are two you asked about

see this link for Vista info:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4621498_windows-vista-automatic-updates-off.html

Windows
Turn on and use Automatic Updates
Turn on Automatic Updates. To do this, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then press ENTER.
Click the Automatic Updates tab, and then click to select one of the following options. We recommend that you select the Automatic (recommended) Automatically download recommended updates for my computer and install them option.
Automatic (recommended) Automatically download recommended updates for my computer and install them

If you select this option, Windows recognizes when you are online and uses your Internet connection to find updates on the Windows Update Web site or on the Microsoft Update Web site that apply to your computer. Updates are downloaded automatically in the background, and you are not notified or interrupted during this process. An icon appears in the notification area of your taskbar when the updates are being downloaded. You can point to the icon to view the download status. When the download is complete, you receive another message in the notification area so that you can review the updates that are scheduled for installation.
Click to select the day and time for scheduled updates to download and install. You can schedule Automatic Updates for any time of day. However, your computer must be on at the scheduled time for updates to be installed.
You can choose to install the updates as soon as they are finished downloading. To do this, click the download message (or update icon), and then click Install. If you choose not to install the updates when they finish downloading, Windows starts the installation on your set schedule.
Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them

If you select this option, Windows recognizes when you are online and uses your Internet connection to automatically download updates from the Windows Update Web site or from the Microsoft Update Web site. An icon appears in the notification area of your taskbar when the updates are being downloaded. You can point to the icon to view the download status. When the download is complete, you receive another message in the notification area so that you can review the updates that are scheduled for installation.
When you want to install the downloaded update, click the message (or update icon), and then click Install to install the update.
If you do not want to install a downloaded update, click Details, and then click to clear the check box next to that update to decline it.
Notify me but don't automatically download or install them

If you select this option, Windows recognizes when you are online and uses your Internet connection to search for downloads from the Windows Update Web site or from the Microsoft Update Web site. An Automatic Updates icon and message appear in the notification area of your taskbar when new updates are available to download or to install.
Click the icon or message to view the updates. If you do not want to download a selected update, click to clear the check box next to that update to decline it. Click Start Download to download the selected updates. The Automatic Updates icon remains in the notification area of your taskbar while the updates are being downloaded. You can point to the icon to view the download status.
When the download is complete, you receive another message in the notification area stating that the updates are ready to install. Click the Automatic Updates icon or the message, and then click Install to install the updates.
Click OK.

Java

click Start - Settings - Control Panel - Java - Update - Check for Updates Automatically. uncheck this botton. it will work.

Marshall Bennett
04-23-2010, 03:21 PM
I've always done all my updates manually . Had issues years ago and learned my lesson .

Hoofhearted
04-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Cheers, Ralph. Excellent!
Thank you for that.