PDA

View Full Version : The Wellpoint Death Panels

Secretariat
04-22-2010, 06:15 PM
I wonder if ole Sarah will be commenting on this. It's not a government bureaucrat death panel. It's not even a triage nurse at an insurance corp. It's Wellpoint's computer algorithm death panel. I doubt Sarah wil lbe commenting on this, but I hope she actually reads the article.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE63L2LS20100422

Exclusive: WellPoint routinely targets breast cancer patients

(Reuters) - One after another, shortly after a diagnosis of breast cancer, each of the women learned that her health insurance had been canceled. First there was Yenny Hsu, who lived and worked in Los Angeles. Later, Robin Beaton, a registered nurse from Texas. And then, most recently, there was Patricia Relling, a successful art gallery owner and interior designer from Louisville, Kentucky.

None of the women knew about the others. But besides their similar narratives, they had something else in common: Their health insurance carriers were subsidiaries of WellPoint, which has 33.7 million policyholders -- more than any other health insurance company in the United States.

The women all paid their premiums on time. Before they fell ill, none had any problems with their insurance. Initially, they believed their policies had been canceled by mistake.

They had no idea that WellPoint was using a computer algorithm that automatically targeted them and every other policyholder recently diagnosed with breast cancer. The software triggered an immediate fraud investigation, as the company searched for some pretext to drop their policies, according to government regulators and investigators.

Once the women were singled out, they say, the insurer then canceled their policies based on either erroneous or flimsy information. WellPoint declined to comment on the women's specific cases without a signed waiver from them, citing privacy laws.

46zilzal
04-22-2010, 06:37 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actuarial_science

All insurers use them, but imagine if, for example, CAR insurance did the same thing?

Dave Schwartz
04-22-2010, 07:19 PM
Many years ago (in a galaxy far, far away), I sold life & health insurance. There has typically been a 2-year period for "material misrepresentation" on an insurance application. After that, the insurance company is on the hook. (These laws/rules are determined by the individual state.)

When purchasing individual health insurance one fills out an application. The app goes to the company's underwriting department and, based upon the information on the app, they decide whether or not to accept the risk of insuring the client.

But there is an issue with the degree of underwriting done at the time the policy is written.

Some companies accept whatever is written down on the app without too much background work into medical history. In other words, considering age, weight and general health history they accept the risk for now.

Then, at the time of the first significant claim (within the first two years) they go over the application with a fine-toothed comb, looking for excuses to cancel you and refund your premiums. If there are no claims within the first 20 months or so, then they do the full check anyway.

Please note that big, reputable companies didn't do this. (That does not mean that BIG is necessarily synonymous with REPUTABLE.)

I would love for a currently-licensed and experienced insurance agent to speak to the current status of this topic. To my knowledge, this is still the practice today.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Tom
04-22-2010, 09:06 PM
I think Sec's in love.....with Sara.
Sec, she's married.
Down, boy, down.

bigmack
04-22-2010, 09:14 PM
Sec, she's married.
Down, boy, down.
Odd minds think alike. I thought the same thing.

He just can't seem to get her out of his mind.

jballscalls
04-22-2010, 10:34 PM
Sec, she's married.
Down, boy, down.

Marriage has never stopped many politicians from infidelity. Not saying Sarah would stray from Todd, i'm just saying, marriage hasn't deterred many politicians.

bigmack
04-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Marriage has never stopped many politicians from infidelity. Not saying Sarah would stray from Todd, i'm just saying, marriage hasn't deterred many politicians.
"Has never stopped many" :lol:

If anyone ever needs a guy to say something without ever committing to what they're actually trying to say, I'd recommend you in heartbeat.

jballscalls
04-22-2010, 10:57 PM
"Has never stopped many" :lol:

If anyone ever needs a guy to say something without ever committing to what they're actually trying to say, I'd recommend you in heartbeat.

i didnt want to do what many around here do do, make broad sweeping generalizations (ie by saying all politicians or most) cause that isn't the case. Many is the case

Dave Schwartz
04-22-2010, 11:36 PM
I cannot believe that this topic was brought up here and all you guys can talk about is Sec's infatuation with Palin. (Although it does seem a bit extreme.)

What about the topic itself?

HUSKER55
04-23-2010, 06:08 AM
hey guys, it is "love , honor and obey",.....(just like the rest of them)

:lol:

Tom
04-23-2010, 07:37 AM
I cannot believe that this topic was brought up here and all you guys can talk about is Sec's infatuation with Palin. (Although it does seem a bit extreme.)

What about the topic itself?

It's just an excuse for him post about his sweetypie.

Robert Goren
04-23-2010, 10:29 AM

What about the topic itself? Some people just get their jollies by making fun of anyone who brings up Palin. It does not surprise me that some of the people post here don't want to talk about sleezy insurance companies. That would get their way when they are bad mouthing the health care plan. JMO

ArlJim78
04-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Wellpoints version is a little different than what Reuters reported (http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=130104&p=irol-newsArticle_general&t=Regular&id=1416717&).

Tom
04-23-2010, 11:16 AM
What's to talk about - if you don't like them, go to another one. That is how business works. What is Sec's point a few bad companies are justification to take over and destroy an entire industry?

Sec is a plant here - he is just a DNC mouthpiece. This is the new plan of the Obamanation - infiltration.

He is transparent.

hazzardm
04-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Wellpoints version is a little different than what Reuters reported (http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=130104&p=irol-newsArticle_general&t=Regular&id=1416717&).

Lot of corporate speak verbage that doesn't really deny anything. It seems the only relevant point is:

If Ms. Reilling would be willing to sign a HIPAA waiver, we would be happy to disclose the facts in her case.

ddog
04-23-2010, 02:14 PM
What's to talk about - if you don't like them, go to another one. That is how business works. What is Sec's point a few bad companies are justification to take over and destroy an entire industry?

Sec is a plant here - he is just a DNC mouthpiece. This is the new plan of the Obamanation - infiltration.

He is transparent.

and you are just a plant, go to another one- with cancer - after being dropped - with a medical record- find one and get back to us will you.

So, we are to believe that Wellpoint is in the business of offering coverage to breast cancer or any other cancer patient? Is that the line? Well, why don't you test that for yourself. Apply and state a cancer see what you get as an offer.

What's your point , a few bad companies are fine , just let them go. Where would you draw the line on a few- hundred - thousand???

Would you think that a shell company should take the profits earned on the backs of customers and then after that is netted out the subsidiary claim the "poor mouth" to the local ins commish to try to force raises in premiums in the state when that states premiums were profitable before they were transferred out.

You have the best care Wallstreet and hedge funds will allow , that's the end of this sordid little tale.

You MAY trust them, I having worked with and known more than a few DO NOT!

After all as Pa said " stop thinking everything needs fixing".

Tom
04-23-2010, 02:48 PM
RIF, ddog. Try it sometime.
I never said anything was good or bad, just that you have a choice - find another policy. Is that above you pay grade to understand? This thread was started as just another shot at Palin, nothing more. Boneheaded talking point from the dim side.

I ask again, you have a few - and I used the word - BAD companies so you destroy an entire health care system that is working just fine for most people?
In your wildest dreams does tthat mmake ssense to yyou.

ddog
04-23-2010, 02:49 PM
You FIND ANOTHER POLICY and GET BACK TO ME.

Some have experience at this some......

I got nothing against Palin, she deserves what she gets as do we all.

46zilzal
04-23-2010, 02:54 PM
These "health" insurers are criminal in their actions......

Tom
04-23-2010, 02:59 PM
Lot of corporate speak verbage that doesn't really deny anything. It seems the only relevant point is:

If Ms. Reilling would be willing to sign a HIPAA waiver, we would be happy to disclose the facts in her case.

I thought they did a good job of addressing all of the article alleged issues. they certainly did deny much of it.

This is simply wrong.
Contrary to how its use was portrayed in the story,
WellPoint did not lobby against that issue.
Ms. Beaton is NOT a WellPoint member,

Sounds to me like Reuters needs to reply to this stuff.....

Tom
04-23-2010, 03:00 PM
These "health" insurers are criminal in their actions......

Car to let us in on exactly what laws they are breaking?
Or was that a blast of hot air impersonating information?

hazzardm
04-25-2010, 10:42 AM
I thought they did a good job of addressing all of the article alleged issues. they certainly did deny much of it.

This is simply wrong.
Contrary to how its use was portrayed in the story,
WellPoint did not lobby against that issue.
Ms. Beaton is NOT a WellPoint member,

Sounds to me like Reuters needs to reply to this stuff.....

Sounds to me like they hope like hell Ms Reilling doesn't sign the disclosure waiver....

Tom
04-25-2010, 07:55 PM
Opinions vary.

Secretariat
04-28-2010, 06:41 PM

So let me get this right Tom? Because I post about three women denied claims for breast cancer and who had paid their premiums regularly and had no previous claims with one of the largest insurance companies in the country, they should simply just go to another company? That's how business works you say? Well, Tom, if that is how business works, it argues dramatically for a significant change to that business model.

These people now have a pre-existing condition. Who would cover them? It wouldn't be good for business. How much real selection do they have from their employer in choosing another company? He may not offer any company who would actually cover these people with cancer?

Truthfully, I would like you to name one private insurance company that would now take on these three women. Should be easy for you since they have such a "choice" and all they have to do is simply choose another company. I'll await your response.

Let me ask you Tom one more question. If you paid your premiums regularly and had made no major claims and assumed you were covered for cancer, and developed prostate cancer, and your insurance company denied your claim, seriously what would you do?

Tom
04-28-2010, 11:29 PM
Let me ask you Tom one more question. If you paid your premiums regularly and had made no major claims and assumed you were covered for cancer, and developed prostate cancer, and your insurance company denied your claim, seriously what would you do?

Register as a democrat and whine and cry for someone else to take care of me.

What I would NOT do is destroy the whole HC system that is just fine for most people.

This is a situation that needs to be addressed, intelligently. Try it sometime.

There is zero reason to go tot the extremes the occupying government has gone to to destroy HC and the economy. What is going to happen is before long, MANY people will find they have no coverage for anything, once the HC system crashes. I will be looking for you when that happens so you can 'splain that to me.

Also, what would I do? We have courts that we use to address grievences. I would probably find alawyer and look at my legal options if I thought I was being wronged. Or, Icould just go out into the streets and throw bottles at cops, like libs do.

Whinning is not becoming Sec, and you do it way too often. You need to grow set and learen how to stand up for yourself. You just give up every time on everthing. Sad.

Secretariat
04-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Register as a democrat and whine and cry for someone else to take care of me.

What I would NOT do is destroy the whole HC system that is just fine for most people.

This is a situation that needs to be addressed, intelligently. Try it sometime.

There is zero reason to go tot the extremes the occupying government has gone to to destroy HC and the economy. What is going to happen is before long, MANY people will find they have no coverage for anything, once the HC system crashes. I will be looking for you when that happens so you can 'splain that to me.

Also, what would I do? We have courts that we use to address grievences. I would probably find alawyer and look at my legal options if I thought I was being wronged. Or, Icould just go out into the streets and throw bottles at cops, like libs do.

Whinning is not becoming Sec, and you do it way too often. You need to grow set and learen how to stand up for yourself. You just give up every time on everthing. Sad.

So, skipping through your diversive rhetoric, in other words, you'd hire a lawyer to address it. And wait years for the judicial system to try and work it out while the cancer grows in your body. Fair answer. The only other solution you proffer is to throw a bottle at someone. I guess that's the "intelligent" approach you are referring to. :lol:

Tom
04-29-2010, 12:40 PM
So, skipping through your diversive rhetoric, in other words, you'd hire a lawyer to address it. And wait years for the judicial system to try and work it out while the cancer grows in your body. Fair answer. The only other solution you proffer is to throw a bottle at someone. I guess that's the "intelligent" approach you are referring to. :lol:

No, that is the lib methods - as we have just seen played out in Arizona.
Yes, the courts are there for that remedy.

ddog
04-29-2010, 01:06 PM
Opinions vary.

seems your argument should now be WITH WELLPOINT.

Seems I heard they are now moving to adopt the rescission part of the HC reform early. Something about heat and kitchen i expect. Seems they need cover from the HC to bail themselves out of a bad set of facts.