PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct Trip Help

OFFandRUNNING10
04-22-2010, 01:36 PM
I am headed up to Aqueduct for the first time this weekend. I visited NYRA's website to get the general idea about the place. I just wanted to see if anyone had any helpful pointers about the place at all.

Thanks in advance!

miesque
04-22-2010, 01:38 PM
I would strongly recommend you get a table up in the Equestris Dining Room. The buffet is admittedly way overpriced and not that great but at least you will have a decent view and the ambience is much better.

OFFandRUNNING10
04-22-2010, 01:41 PM
I would strongly recommend you get a table up in the Equestris Dining Room. The buffet is admittedly way overpriced and not that great but at least you will have a decent view and the ambience is much better.

Sounds like the same Buffet I had at Belmont last year!

Is it pretty easy get outside from the dining room or do you have to go all up and around and down the place? I really want to take some pictures and all if possible but do not want to have to keep running all over the place.

miesque
04-22-2010, 01:52 PM
Sounds like the same Buffet I had at Belmont last year!

Is it pretty easy get outside from the dining room or do you have to go all up and around and down the place? I really want to take some pictures and all if possible but do not want to have to keep running all over the place.

I have found it relatively easy to zip from the dining room down to the paddock and you can do it a bit faster than Belmont just because its smaller and more contained. The whole downstairs and apron area at Aqueduct is not exactly my cup of tea so others would be able to give you a better advice as far as picture taking and "outside"

Richie
04-22-2010, 03:39 PM
You can also go to the clubhouse second floor, or third and sit in front of a bank of tvs if you want, or slip right outside to owner boxes right at the 16th pole, bar right there, or bring your own beer and liquor just like we do. Great seats and views, paddock right below to view

OFFandRUNNING10
04-22-2010, 04:07 PM
You can also go to the clubhouse second floor, or third and sit in front of a bank of tvs if you want, or slip right outside to owner boxes right at the 16th pole, bar right there, or bring your own beer and liquor just like we do. Great seats and views, paddock right below to view

Its BYOB?

Zman179
04-22-2010, 09:45 PM
Its BYOB?

NYRA has a liquor license, they might sell wine...call and check.

OTM Al
04-23-2010, 08:57 AM
There are bar areas in a few locations there, so you can buy there if you wish.

infrontby1
04-23-2010, 09:57 AM
My advice to you:

Hold out another week, and visit Belmont Park instead when they open for their spring meet.

The facility is a mess hole. You're better off going to the Meadowlands across the Hudson, if time permits.

Other than the construction in the grandstand area which has stood idle for over five years now awaiting the VLT slots, there hasn't been one shred of improvement made to the facility.

And the surrounding areas and business' will remind you of the ones like at Pimlico in Baltimore if you have been there before.

And BTW, the service there is nothing to write home about, even in the Equestris restaurant, which is suppose to be an upscale environment.

Can't make it to the Meadowlands? Then head over to Empire City or one of the OTB teletheaters in either Manhattan or out east in Long Island.

Save your time and money. Don't bother heading to the Big A. You will forget about that place faster than your last losing wager.

the little guy
04-23-2010, 10:52 AM
My advice to you:

Hold out another week, and visit Belmont Park instead when they open for their spring meet.

The facility is a mess hole. You're better off going to the Meadowlands across the Hudson, if time permits.

Other than the construction in the grandstand area which has stood idle for over five years now awaiting the VLT slots, there hasn't been one shred of improvement made to the facility.

That's a lot to say from somebody who made the following post recently.....

Thank you Rook and Monistee for the responses.

Zman, where by the Big A are you? Used to be by Kew Gardens where Lefferts Blvd. begun, and took that straight down to the end to the Big A.

When in the world are they going to get those slot machines? Last time I was at the track some 5-6 years ago, they had the whole second floor grandstand closed and actually begun some form of construction for the VLTs.

Stevie Belmont
04-23-2010, 11:26 AM
Yea check out the Big A. Maybe this might help — 1st Time Trip To The Big A (http://thoroughbredzone.com/2009/10/27/tips-for-a-suburbanite’s-first-time-trip-to-the-big-a-on-a-wet-opening-day/)
(could not resist) no rain expected Sat—Maybe Sun

I am headed up to Aqueduct for the first time this weekend. I visited NYRA's website to get the general idea about the place. I just wanted to see if anyone had any helpful pointers about the place at all.

Thanks in advance!

ghostyapper
04-23-2010, 12:45 PM
That's a lot to say from somebody who made the following post recently.....

I've been there in the last 5-6 years (last week actually)so I'll confirm the statement that it's become a dump with no improvements recently.

Now that it's time to actually address this fact my guess is you'll disappear again.

46zilzal
04-23-2010, 12:50 PM
I have never evaluated a track by the grandstands....Aqueduct is functional, large and interesting.....It is what is going on OUT THERE that is important, NOT what/where you sit.

Saw the beautiful Pebbles there my last trip and her companion Come on the Blues......Loved it when Precisionist blew all the easterners away by a big margin......

the little guy
04-23-2010, 01:29 PM
I've been there in the last 5-6 years (last week actually)so I'll confirm the statement that it's become a dump with no improvements recently.

Now that it's time to actually address this fact my guess is you'll disappear again.

Opinions are not fact.

I'm there every day and love it.

Cardus
04-23-2010, 01:34 PM

Thanks in advance!

This might not be a bad place to start:

What is your home track?

miesque
04-23-2010, 01:39 PM
I have never evaluated a track by the grandstands....Aqueduct is functional, large and interesting.....It is what is going on OUT THERE that is important, NOT what/where you sit.

Saw the beautiful Pebbles there my last trip and her companion Come on the Blues......Loved it when Precisionist blew all the easterners away by a big margin......

1985 may well have been the last year any material money was actually put into Aqueduct from either a capital improvement or maintenance perspective. Aqueduct did not get to its present state overnight.

:lol:

I was up there for the Gotham this year and unless there have been a major infusion of capital improvements I would be interested to see how someone would successfully refute your statement. The one positive I will report is that I did have a decent waitress when I was there last and since customer service is important to me and will write a scathing review when I have a poor experience, I feel compelled to make that point. I have learned to lower my standards and not be surprised if I have a shitty experience at Belmont/Aqueduct, both literally and figuratively. If I do have a crappy experience then its my damn fault for being a dumbass and showing up because as the old adage goes "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me."

OFFandRUNNING10
04-23-2010, 01:58 PM
I am an hour from both Penn National and Philadelphia Park. However I have been to other tracks as well. (Including 3 times at belmont and once at Saratoga). I know Aqueduct is a bit run down and will not compare to those. However, I am going for the entertainment/ fun. I also want to travel to new tracks that I havent been before (one being Aqueduct).

I am really interested in taking some good Photographs and all as well just being somewhere new for the experience. Aqueduct is about an 1hr 45 min from me.

miesque
04-23-2010, 02:05 PM
I am an hour from both Penn National and Philadelphia Park. However I have been to other tracks as well. (Including 3 times at belmont and once at Saratoga). I know Aqueduct is a bit run down and will not compare to those. However, I am going for the entertainment/ fun. I also want to travel to new tracks that I havent been before (one being Aqueduct).

I am really interested in taking some good Photographs and all as well just being somewhere new for the experience. Aqueduct is about an 1hr 45 min from me.

Aqueduct does have "character" and everyone that considers themselve a diehard fan/degenerate should go there at least once. I would not send anyone who was a casual fan or newbie there though.

When you are down on the apron or paddock take a few mintues to look up take some pictures of the roof/overhang.

Cardus
04-23-2010, 02:12 PM
I was at Aqueduct last weekend, and I saw a few groups of 20-somethings -- both with a male-female mix -- having a great time.

From overhearing their conversations, they were clearly either "newbies" or "casual fans."

Cardus
04-23-2010, 02:25 PM
If you know that you are going for both days, then perhaps you want to sit on the apron -- clubhouse side -- on Saturday and sit in the Equestris restaurant on Sunday.

The weather is much nicer on Saturday, and if you sit on the clubhouse-side apron you'll be in the sun for most of the day. With rain forecasted for Sunday, the Equestris makes sense.

As I'm sure you've seen, the walking ring is below apron level. You'd have to shoot from high to low, so to speak, if you want to photograph the horses in the paddock. Otherwise, you'll have no problem getting the shots that you want from the apron of the horses on the track.

You can bring in your own beer -- no bottles is still policy, I believe, cans only -- if you like to have a drink or two while at the track.

The Equestris buffet is $30, and on the weekends I believe that the buffet is your only option. It's not bad, actually. There is an omelet/breakfast station, and a nice meat carving station as well. (Usually one is prime rib.) There are sides, too. The desserts are fine. You will have no problem getting a table on Sunday (or Saturday, I suspect).

Grits
04-23-2010, 03:00 PM

Thanks in advance!

One pointer to consider for future trips to Aqueduct or any other racetrack.

Never ask anyone a thing on a messageboard again.

You stated you have a desire to photograph the horses, Aqueduct's apron is a really fine place for doing so. Paddock and track easily accessable.

You've not stated a word about having any burning interest in grand architecture.

Aqueduct's ain't so grand, at this point. But, one can figure that's OK. Quite likely . . . you'll be able to get in and out, and through the turnstyles for two consecutive days without the roof, the walls, or the floors collapsing on themselves, or on you. NYC still has building and fire inspectors. And you can bet your last dime, its passed both, or the doors and windows of the entire place would be shuttered.

You've not stated your dining requirements.

No one else's taste in dining experiences may be the same as your own. You may care less what a racetrack has to offer in the way of food. Most of us don't mind enjoying finer options, later on, in the evening, after the races are over.

You've not stated the company you prefer to keep.

The "quality" of the patrons on the property is also of no importance. Whether you're there alone, or taking friends with you--you ain't stated you're there, or that you plan to be there--to win friends and influence people, darlin', you're there because its where you want to be, doing what you want to do. And, if one's not mistaken, a good part of it---is for horses and watching them do what they do best.

Other's experiences, past or present, are NOT your experiences, nor do they need to be your concern or your requirement.

GO and make your OWN experiences. Let's call it LIVING, and in one's own fashion and one's own style.

I hope you have a great time at Big A.

Who gives a damn rat's *** if it ain't Keeneland?

You'll find . . . right away, when you get there. . . the damn track surface ain't either.

And we can ALL thank God for that one!!!

Again, have a great time.;) Belmont and Saratoga are even better times!!!

Cardus
04-23-2010, 04:03 PM
You're the smartest person on this board, GRITS.

the little guy
04-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Great post Grits.

Relwob Owner
04-23-2010, 09:36 PM
One pointer to consider for future trips to Aqueduct or any other racetrack.

Never ask anyone a thing on a messageboard again.

You stated you have a desire to photograph the horses, Aqueduct's apron is a really fine place for doing so. Paddock and track easily accessable.

You've not stated a word about having any burning interest in grand architecture.

Aqueduct's ain't so grand, at this point. But, one can figure that's OK. Quite likely . . . you'll be able to get in and out, and through the turnstyles for two consecutive days without the roof, the walls, or the floors collapsing on themselves, or on you. NYC still has building and fire inspectors. And you can bet your last dime, its passed both, or the doors and windows of the entire place would be shuttered.

You've not stated your dining requirements.

No one else's taste in dining experiences may be the same as your own. You may care less what a racetrack has to offer in the way of food. Most of us don't mind enjoying finer options, later on, in the evening, after the races are over.

You've not stated the company you prefer to keep.

The "quality" of the patrons on the property is also of no importance. Whether you're there alone, or taking friends with you--you ain't stated you're there, or that you plan to be there--to win friends and influence people, darlin', you're there because its where you want to be, doing what you want to do. And, if one's not mistaken, a good part of it---is for horses and watching them do what they do best.

Other's experiences, past or present, are NOT your experiences, nor do they need to be your concern or your requirement.

GO and make your OWN experiences. Let's call it LIVING, and in one's own fashion and one's own style.

I hope you have a great time at Big A.

Who gives a damn rat's *** if it ain't Keeneland?

You'll find . . . right away, when you get there. . . the damn track surface ain't either.

And we can ALL thank God for that one!!!

Again, have a great time.;) Belmont and Saratoga are even better times!!!

Some think your post is great but I dont really get your point.....yes, the person who started the thread didnt ask specific details about certain things but it seems like most responses just seemed like they were trying to help and there is nothing wrong with that at all IMO......

If I was going to a track for the first time, I would definitely ask people on here, especially Miesque, who provided many details....even if one out of ten applied to what I thought was important, it would have been worth it.....

The thread starter said "I just wanted to see if anyone had any helpful pointers about the place at all".....that is exactly what he/she got and it is strange you seem to have an issue with what people responded with.....

ghostyapper
04-23-2010, 09:45 PM
Some think your post is great but I dont really get your point.....yes, the person who started the thread didnt ask specific details about certain things but it seems like most responses just seemed like they were trying to help and there is nothing wrong with that at all IMO.

His point is that unless you have nothing but lovely things to say about the Big Dump then you shouldn't say anything.

Yea I agree, he makes no sense. Experience it for yourself and don't listen to any negativity but feel free to take shots at keeneland :confused:

Relwob Owner
04-23-2010, 09:55 PM
His point is that unless you have nothing but lovely things to say about the Big Dump then you shouldn't say anything.

Yea I agree, he makes no sense. Experience it for yourself and don't listen to any negativity but feel free to take shots at keeneland :confused:

.............. Also, dont listen to others and their takes but listen to my lecture on what is important and how you should experience it..... :eek:

Dahoss9698
04-23-2010, 10:09 PM
.............. Also, dont listen to others and their takes but listen to my lecture on what is important and how you should experience it..... :eek:

I didn't take Grits' post at all like that. I took it as everyone here is different. We all like certain things. What might be appealing or not so appealing to one person, might not be to another.

I took it as a good time could still be had at Aqueduct, even though it isn't Keeneland or Saratoga. They are different places in pretty much every aspect, but each has their qualities and faults.

Relwob Owner
04-23-2010, 10:15 PM
I didn't take Grits' post at all like that. I took it as everyone here is different. We all like certain things. What might be appealing or not so appealing to one person, might not be to another.

I took it as a good time could still be had at Aqueduct, even though it isn't Keeneland or Saratoga. They are different places in pretty much every aspect, but each has their qualities and faults.

Read it again...it basically took direct cuts at the posts which were trying to give advice on different things.....the sarcasm and pointedness of it was made clear when the advice was given to Never ask anyone a thing on a messageboard again.......

Monty Capuletti
04-23-2010, 10:27 PM
Man O' War Room (2nd floor) is a fine place to grab a beer/cocktail/soda, sandwich, chowder, etc. Plenty of TV's to watch the boards or replays there as well. I usually bounce around between there and the apron if I don't sit in the restaurant.

Enjoy your visit.

Dahoss9698
04-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Read it again...it basically took direct cuts at the posts which were trying to give advice on different things.....the sarcasm and pointedness of it was made clear when the advice was given to Never ask anyone a thing on a messageboard again.......

I've read it five times. We can discuss every sentence of it and we'll probably each take it in a different way.

I just thought it was a refreshing post in the thread. We all go to the track for different reasons and have different experiences. What I think Grits was getting at is when you go to Aqueduct, you are going for a fun day at the track. Nothing more, nothing less.

I hope the thread starter enjoys his/her experience at Aqueduct. I know I have, everytime I have been there.

Grits
04-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Relwob, I'm sorry you feel I make no sense, and that I have issues. I don't, you're mistaken; still, I'm ok with your thoughts on each of those.

YAP, he's (as in, I'm) a SHE. You've been here how long now? PA's got a photo somewhere if you're unsure, or not convinced.

Offandrunning10 stated:

I have been to other tracks as well. (Including 3 times at belmont and once at Saratoga). I know Aqueduct is a bit run down and will not compare to those. However, I am going for the entertainment/ fun. I also want to travel to new tracks that I havent been before (one being Aqueduct).

I am really interested in taking some good Photographs and all as well just being somewhere new for the experience.

Offandrunning10 is going to visit Aqueduct for the first time this weekend. Yes, she or he (whichever) asked for some pointers. And I want her/him to have a great time.

There's this thing called independence, and independent thinking. I'm all for both, along with seeing people enjoy themselves, particularly when they go to a racetrack.

I can't think of a crummier way to respond to someone's "in place weekend plans" than to blow them sky high by, in essence, telling them . . . . forget it, its a dump. Try to get a seat so that you don't have to find yourself among the lowlife. Pray you can stomach the mediocre food. And that you make it out before the damn falling down around you infrastructure buries you.

Keep in mind now, this person's plans are made already, knowing its not as fine as Belmont or Saratoga.

Not for a moment, not a chance in hell would I impose my own miserable time there, at Aqueduct, on her/him. Again, not a chance. And this would be particularly true, if as in Miesque's case, she's not fond of New York racing and one could count on less than three fingers the complimentary things she has said about anything having to do with New York racing, Belmont Park, Saratoga Racecourse, or Aqueduct Racetrack. Neither, clearly, are high on her priority list.

I've never been one to hesitate in making decisions or choices, including even, the trivial--which travel, surely, falls under.

If I don't care for a city, a destination point, a racetrack, a state, or a country . . . . whatever. If I've not enjoyed myself.

I DON'T GO BACK!!

The decision's an easy one.

I mean, for heaven's sake, what would be the point, other than earning the right to be able to share my crappy experience.

Make that my repeated crappy experiences (plural with an s, as in how many more times do I want to keep putting myself through the chore?)

Again, Offandrunning10, I hope you have a great weekend at Big A. Get some fine photos, too.

And yes, compared to New York's, Keeneland's racing sucks. And I've spent plenty of time living in the middle of one, and traveling to the other. Y'all can get over this one. I really don't give a damn.

miesque
04-23-2010, 11:56 PM
When someone in good faith asks for advice about something like a destination I have visited, I will give them my honest, often non-PC opinion (if I answer), which by definition may or may not differ from the opinion of another with experience at the same locale. I would expect the same from others if I asked about visiting a track or other destination and frankly I would consider it a disservice if they did not. I am not one who wants a glossy, air brushed version of what to expect (I have never taken kindly to having a bunch of sunshine blown up my ass). I very much appreciate knowing in advance any potential issues that may or may not clash with my preferences, I find it makes for a more enjoyable trip in most cases. I also know not everyone has the same perceptions, standards or tastes, but if you are a knowledgeable traveler you can usually acertain from unfiltered comments how best to proceed with your impending visit.

WinterTriangle
04-24-2010, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the rundown on AQ. I thought the added perspective, based on what each of you values in a track experience, was also worthwhile.

Breakfast at The Plaza and breakfast at The Waffle House can be equally enjoyable.

P.S. Had the best bar food ever in a biker bar/blues tavern in Hot Springs during the AR Derby, recommended to me by hotel clerk...reminded me of Louisiana juke joints.......didn't know it existed and was as good as all get out.

Can't wait to get feedback from the poster to whom *we* suggested the Arc de Triomphe, as a good setting for proposing to his beloved. I' pretty *sure* that was good advice, don't you, gals? ;)

Spalding No!
04-24-2010, 01:22 AM
When someone in good faith asks for advice about something like a destination I have visited, I will give them my honest, often non-PC opinion (if I answer), which by definition may or may not differ from the opinion of another with experience at the same locale. I would expect the same from others if I asked about visiting a track or other destination and frankly I would consider it a disservice if they did not. I am not one who wants a glossy, air brushed version of what to expect (I have never taken kindly to having a bunch of sunshine blown up my ass). I very much appreciate knowing in advance any potential issues that may or may not clash with my preferences, I find it makes for a more enjoyable trip in most cases. I also know not everyone has the same perceptions, standards or tastes, but if you are a knowledgeable traveler you can usually acertain from unfiltered comments how best to proceed with your impending visit.

I for one, enjoy your intercontinental racing patron vignettes. You never fail to leave out remarks on the surrounding locales. Your commentaries are like one part Travis Bickle and one part Robin Leach.

I favor your descriptions of the various 'Hoods of the East Coast. As you are soon to make your annual trip to Hollywood Park, it's particularly exciting to anticipate your impression of recent changes to The Wood (that's Inglewood to the uninitiated). Perhaps a bicoastal crack house architectural analysis is in the offing?

Relwob Owner
04-24-2010, 06:12 AM
I've read it five times. We can discuss every sentence of it and we'll probably each take it in a different way.

I just thought it was a refreshing post in the thread. We all go to the track for different reasons and have different experiences. What I think Grits was getting at is when you go to Aqueduct, you are going for a fun day at the track. Nothing more, nothing less.

I hope the thread starter enjoys his/her experience at Aqueduct. I know I have, everytime I have been there.

One thing is for sure...in emails and posts, many people can take things different ways and that you can agree to disagree.....one thing I do agree on is that I, like you, hope the poster has a blast there.

Relwob Owner
04-24-2010, 06:25 AM
Relwob, I'm sorry you feel I make no sense, and that I have issues. I don't, you're mistaken; still, I'm ok with your thoughts on each of those.

YAP, he's (as in, I'm) a SHE. You've been here how long now? PA's got a photo somewhere if you're unsure, or not convinced.

Offandrunning10 is going to visit Aqueduct for the first time this weekend. Yes, she or he (whichever) asked for some pointers. And I want her/him to have a great time.

There's this thing called independence, and independent thinking. I'm all for both, along with seeing people enjoy themselves, particularly when they go to a racetrack.

I can't think of a crummier way to respond to someone's "in place weekend plans" than to blow them sky high by, in essence, telling them . . . . forget it, its a dump. Try to get a seat so that you don't have to find yourself among the lowlife. Pray you can stomach the mediocre food. And that you make it out before the damn falling down around you infrastructure buries you.

Keep in mind now, this person's plans are made already, knowing its not as fine as Belmont or Saratoga.

Not for a moment, not a chance in hell would I impose my own miserable time there, at Aqueduct, on her/him. Again, not a chance. And this would be particularly true, if as in Miesque's case, she's not fond of New York racing and one could count on less than three fingers the complimentary things she has said about anything having to do with New York racing, Belmont Park, Saratoga Racecourse, or Aqueduct Racetrack. Neither, clearly, are high on her priority list.

I've never been one to hesitate in making decisions or choices, including even, the trivial--which travel, surely, falls under.

If I don't care for a city, a destination point, a racetrack, a state, or a country . . . . whatever. If I've not enjoyed myself.

I DON'T GO BACK!!

The decision's an easy one.

I mean, for heaven's sake, what would be the point, other than earning the right to be able to share my crappy experience.

Make that my repeated crappy experiences (plural with an s, as in how many more times do I want to keep putting myself through the chore?)

Again, Offandrunning10, I hope you have a great weekend at Big A. Get some fine photos, too.

And yes, compared to New York's, Keeneland's racing sucks. And I've spent plenty of time living in the middle of one, and traveling to the other. Y'all can get over this one. I really don't give a damn.

I commented that I didnt get your point and that I didnt understand why you had an issue with the other posters and their responses.....you take that and interpret it that you "make no sense" and "have issues"....not even close to what I said or meant......pretty defensive on your part, no?

Pretty simple-someone asks for thoughts on a track and people give honest responses and you have an issue(singular here-not that you personally have issues) with them being honest....would you prefer that they lie when someone asks for what they think?????

Grits
04-24-2010, 11:14 AM
I commented that I didnt get your point and that I didnt understand why you had an issue with the other posters and their responses.....you take that and interpret it that you "make no sense" and "have issues"....not even close to what I said or meant......pretty defensive on your part, no?

Pretty simple-someone asks for thoughts on a track and people give honest responses and you have an issue(singular here-not that you personally have issues) with them being honest....would you prefer that they lie when someone asks for what they think?????

Relwob, are you familiar with the term, passive aggressive? You could write the manual on it. So, let me cut through your BS here.

#1. I don't ask others for pointers when I intend to visit anywhere, nor do I ask for their opinions of any place I go. I never have. And this would be particularly true if I was aware that someone would, most likely from noting their past comments, have nothing to offer that could be seen in any way as positive. I'll do an online search where I may get solid info, but that's about it. A couple of weeks ago, I returned from Hot Springs, Arkansas, having never set foot in the state in my life, I didn't ask anyone "jack" before my plane left the ground.

#2. I don't have a great herd instinct. I don't have to follow others. I do sometimes, but I don't always have to. "Well, if so and so stated such and such, I guess I better not go. I might be miserable." This is not something that will give me pause. So, I won't rely heavily on opinions, well meant, or not so well meant. Aside from travel, this independence also holds with other small stuff like book reviews, restaurant reviews, etc. Keep in mind, all this shit I'm talking about is real small stuff.

#3. I wouldn't ask Miesque for pointers in walking across the street and that is, simply, because we are different. Still we have no trouble communicating.

#4. Your worrisome nit picking is tiring. I didn't lecture anyone, and this is the second time you've pulled this one out of thin air regarding one of my posts. You failed to see my desire for one to go somewhere with the idea of an open mind, unjaded by someone else's experience. Instead, looking forward to their own visit with their plan to have fun. I can't do anything about your missing my point, when others clearly understood what I was saying, and found the post a good one.

#5. The reason you stepped into this, sir, was for the purpose of defending Miesque's post pummelling Aqueduct. So, in light of you feigning confusion, admit why you were hot to trot into the thread to begin with.

(My parents didn't raise a daughter, who after living over 5 decades is both, blind and stupid.) Passive aggressives have always bored the hell outta me.:faint:

Fager Fan
04-24-2010, 11:39 AM
Grits, I liked and understood your post. Someone asks for pointers, and they get a bunch of people saying nothing constructive, instead just beating up on the place. The thread starter is going -- he didn't ask for opinions of the track so that he could decide if he wants to go or not.

Relwob Owner
04-24-2010, 02:11 PM
Relwob, are you familiar with the term, passive aggressive? You could write the manual on it. So, let me cut through your BS here.

#1. I don't ask others for pointers when I intend to visit anywhere, nor do I ask for their opinions of any place I go. I never have. And this would be particularly true if I was aware that someone would, most likely from noting their past comments, have nothing to offer that could be seen in any way as positive. I'll do an online search where I may get solid info, but that's about it. A couple of weeks ago, I returned from Hot Springs, Arkansas, having never set foot in the state in my life, I didn't ask anyone "jack" before my plane left the ground.

#2. I don't have a great herd instinct. I don't have to follow others. I do sometimes, but I don't always have to. "Well, if so and so stated such and such, I guess I better not go. I might be miserable." This is not something that will give me pause. So, I won't rely heavily on opinions, well meant, or not so well meant. Aside from travel, this independence also holds with other small stuff like book reviews, restaurant reviews, etc. Keep in mind, all this shit I'm talking about is real small stuff.

#3. I wouldn't ask Miesque for pointers in walking across the street and that is, simply, because we are different. Still we have no trouble communicating.

#4. Your worrisome nit picking is tiring. I didn't lecture anyone, and this is the second time you've pulled this one out of thin air regarding one of my posts. You failed to see my desire for one to go somewhere with the idea of an open mind, unjaded by someone else's experience. Instead, looking forward to their own visit with their plan to have fun. I can't do anything about your missing my point, when others clearly understood what I was saying, and found the post a good one.

#5. The reason you stepped into this, sir, was for the purpose of defending Miesque's post pummelling Aqueduct. So, in light of you feigning confusion, admit why you were hot to trot into the thread to begin with.

(My parents didn't raise a daughter, who after living over 5 decades is both, blind and stupid.) Passive aggressives have always bored the hell outta me.:faint:

Wow...your first three points started with "I" and your point is that others shouldnt interject their opinions into a thread about advice on other tracks....in those five wonderfully worded points, you used "I" over 20 times....you were nice enough to evaluate me as being passive agressive so I will return the favor and point out that those who use "I" a lot and direct everything to their own thoughts and ways of doing things can be said to be narcissistic......not sure if that applies to you overall but figured it would be nice if you got a taste of how it feels to be fully evaluated based on your words here....

Me as passive agressive? Could be but look up hypocrite in the dictionary and ask if you fit in there because you certainly do from your words in this thread....you have picked apart those who have offered advice and then interjected what you would do in every imaginable situctaion...

My "worrisome nitpicking"...wow, this from the person who picked about the responses of others trying to help?????

You whined earlier that I said you have issues, which was never said....just repsonded to your post and said I didnt get it.... you may have an issue with people disagreeing with you and you cant respond in a way other than calling their thoughts BS.

Lastly, my purpose wasnt to defend Miesque at all.....it was just simply to disagree with your thoughts that the poster didnt need or should ignore all of the info that was being provided as a result of their question....

That is about all I have in response and we can probably agree to disagree.....all I did was disagree with your post, which you clearly cant handle and you brought it to much greater levels....I am not one to back down, but like you probably feel at this point, I dont really care all that much......Have a great day.....

Grits
04-24-2010, 06:26 PM
Wow...your first three points started with "I" and your point is that others shouldnt interject their opinions into a thread about advice on other tracks....in those five wonderfully worded points, you used "I" over 20 times....you were nice enough to evaluate me as being passive agressive so I will return the favor and point out that those who use "I" a lot and direct everything to their own thoughts and ways of doing things can be said to be narcissistic......not sure if that applies to you overall but figured it would be nice if you got a taste of how it feels to be fully evaluated based on your words here....

The entire post was my indicating my own mindset, hence, the reason for the term I . . . . . and it really doesn't matter how many times I used it. If you review my 1700 or so posts here, you get a good idea of how often I use the term

I don't debate, so therefore rarely am I found in these situations. This is your thing, not mine. Big guys rarely do back down, do they? I don't stand over the hole, looking down arguing with the dirt. Still, you and Yap, are the only two here in so many pages that had a problem with my post. It was ok for others to post their . . . . what you define so well as "advice", when it was nothing, as another poster noted, constructive being offered, nothing but another veiled knock on New York racing. And yes, Yap said "he makes no sense." Not you. I apologize for being incorrect.

..............Also, don't listen to others and their takes but listen to my lecture and what is important and how you should experience it......:eek:

Begging your pardon, I have a right to state my advice in the thread, as much as others had a right to give their advice. Funny, you had no problem with theirs. And again, SORRY you didn't get where I was coming from. I won't repeat it for a third time.

Me as passive agressive?

Indeed. You work at subtle, while feigning confusing, both being benchmarks for P.A. You're a pro at this debate thing, and how to carry it on. I'm not too cool at it. We're different, if I do come down to having these exchanges there ain't no second guessing me, and reading between the lines. Screw that, I've always felt . . . too much to keep up with.:lol:

look up hypocrite in the dictionary and ask if you fit in there because you certainly do from your words in this thread....you have picked apart those who have offered advice and then interjected what you would do in every imaginable situctaion...

Now, you're lying. I've done no such thing, I simply stated my own advice, and balked at that of Miesque's in this particular instance. Those had nothing to do with anything. Yap's comment was in and done, in a flash. Not too expansive there.

My "worrisome nitpicking"...wow, this from the person who picked about the responses of others trying to help?????

And again, you term what was being written in this thread as helpful. Ok, then one can only hope they're not ever in need of your help. Whew!

You whined earlier that I said you have issues, which was never said....just repsonded to your post and said I didnt get it.... you may have an issue with people disagreeing with you and you cant respond in a way other than calling their thoughts BS.

You stated I have an issue with people disagreeing with me. You're wrong, I don't, as I said. WHAT I DO HAVE AN ISSUE WITH is someone knocking New York racing in the dirt, while they continue to drag their butt back there, time and time again. Now if that can't be seen as the pinnacle of hypocrisy, I really have no honest idea what else could qualify. And that's the bottom line on that one Relwob.

Lastly, my purpose wasnt to defend Miesque at all.....it was just simply to disagree with your thoughts that the poster didnt need or should ignore all of the info that was being provided as a result of their question....

Look, Knight In Shining Armor, save it, I'm sorry, this one's still not working. And it won't.

"just repsonded to your post and said I didnt get it...."

I'm curious about one extremely important point after all that's been said in this exchange between you and I. How in the world does one disagree with a point, THEY ADMITTEDLY state, from the very beginning--they didn't get?

How is that? Is it simply just to add something, to stir a pot? The .02 thing. The arguing with the hole thing, after the signpost has been dug up and not backing down?

That is about all I have in response and we can probably agree to disagree.....all I did was disagree with your post, which you clearly cant handle and you brought it to much greater levels....I am not one to back down, but like you probably feel at this point, I dont really care all that much......Have a great day.....

Save this last paragraph. Have a great day my damn butt! There's nothing genuine or sincere here. This is more passive aggressive, tell it to someone that's less educated to its pattern. It was ok for others to speak; I spoke and you rode in on your white horse, got huffy, and termed me lecturing. Again. No one else has had problems with what I offered in the thread, and that helps me to realize I wasn't off the mark Relwob.;)

Place me on ignore; it'll work well for "hole talkers." I'm not used to this stuff.:lol: I'm worn out.

Relwob Owner
04-24-2010, 09:08 PM
The entire post was my indicating my own mindset, hence, the reason for the term I . . . . . and it really doesn't matter how many times I used it. If you review my 1700 or so posts here, you get a good idea of how often I use the term

I don't debate, so therefore rarely am I found in these situations. This is your thing, not mine. Big guys rarely do back down, do they? I don't stand over the hole, looking down arguing with the dirt. Still, you and Yap, are the only two here in so many pages that had a problem with my post. It was ok for others to post their . . . . what you define so well as "advice", when it was nothing, as another poster noted, constructive being offered, nothing but another veiled knock on New York racing. And yes, Yap said "he makes no sense." Not you. I apologize for being incorrect.

Begging your pardon, I have a right to state my advice in the thread, as much as others had a right to give their advice. Funny, you had no problem with theirs. And again, SORRY you didn't get where I was coming from. I won't repeat it for a third time.

Indeed. You work at subtle, while feigning confusing, both being benchmarks for P.A. You're a pro at this debate thing, and how to carry it on. I'm not too cool at it. We're different, if I do come down to having these exchanges there ain't no second guessing me, and reading between the lines. Screw that, I've always felt . . . too much to keep up with.:lol:

Now, you're lying. I've done no such thing, I simply stated my own advice, and balked at that of Miesque's in this particular instance. Those had nothing to do with anything. Yap's comment was in and done, in a flash. Not too expansive there.

And again, you term what was being written in this thread as helpful. Ok, then one can only hope they're not ever in need of your help. Whew!

You stated I have an issue with people disagreeing with me. You're wrong, I don't, as I said. WHAT I DO HAVE AN ISSUE WITH is someone knocking New York racing in the dirt, while they continue to drag their butt back there, time and time again. Now if that can't be seen as the pinnacle of hypocrisy, I really have no honest idea what else could qualify. And that's the bottom line on that one Relwob.

Look, Knight In Shining Armor, save it, I'm sorry, this one's still not working. And it won't.

I'm curious about one extremely important point after all that's been said in this exchange between you and I. How in the world does one disagree with a point, THEY ADMITTEDLY state, from the very beginning--they didn't get?

How is that? Is it simply just to add something, to stir a pot? The .02 thing. The arguing with the hole thing, after the signpost has been dug up and not backing down?

Save this last paragraph. Have a great day my damn butt! There's nothing genuine or sincere here. This is more passive aggressive, tell it to someone that's less educated to its pattern. It was ok for others to speak; I spoke and you rode in on your white horse, got huffy, and termed me lecturing. Again. No one else has had problems with what I offered in the thread, and that helps me to realize I wasn't off the mark Relwob.;)

Place me on ignore; it'll work well for "hole talkers." I'm not used to this stuff.:lol: I'm worn out.

Couldnt disagree more with everything but thats OK.....the hypocrisy is just amazing, though,but I have found that people rarely admit anything and you are no different.........I would love to hear an answer to this-you say that I came in on my white horse and "got huffy".....werent you the one who initially came in on your horse(dont know what color) and got huffy with what others had written? If you cant see how amazingly hypocritical that is, I cant help you......it is just so simple-you posted, some people complimented you on it and I disagreed with them and said I didnt get where you were coming from......you then took it to other levels and started psychoanalyzing me and calling my opinion BS....

I do find it funny how you have no problem with people who agreed with you and mentioned them several times as a way of prove your point is valid....so, as long as someone agrees with you, they can respond but if they dont agree, that isnt OK and they are then "getting huffy" and such....I think that gets back to the issue you have with people disagreeing with you, doesnt it?

Have a great night.....

infrontby1
04-26-2010, 09:10 AM
In any event,

I'm wondering if OFF and RUNNING made it back alive from his quest to Aqueduct and what his take was on his weekend there.

OFFandRUNNING10
04-26-2010, 12:48 PM
I unfortunately never made it up there. Bad weather saturday night and sunday kept me away. I didn't feel like making the drive to be out in the rain and deal with the muddy mess. Oh well... I will head up for the fall meet.

Belmont is opening so I will be attending a few days there throughout the meet.

Thanks everyone for your opinions...good and bad!

Richie
04-26-2010, 12:51 PM
We always bring our own, no hard coolers, cooler bag with ice, never an issue

Cardus
04-26-2010, 01:12 PM
I unfortunately never made it up there. Bad weather saturday night and sunday kept me away. I didn't feel like making the drive to be out in the rain and deal with the muddy mess. Oh well... I will head up for the fall meet.

Belmont is opening so I will be attending a few days there throughout the meet.

Thanks everyone for your opinions...good and bad!

It's too bad that you didn't make it there, if for no other reason than the way this thread degenerated.

It's kind of funny, actually.

See you at Belmont.