PDA

View Full Version : Fordham-Iona college baseball game.

riskman
04-21-2010, 10:38 PM
http://video.yahoo.com/watch/7364830/19256240

Fordham player leaps over catcher

rastajenk
04-22-2010, 08:31 AM
I don't suppose they'll be teaching that move in baseball camps very soon.

Try to imagine, say, Prince Fielder doing that. :D

ezrabrooks
04-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Question: If the catcher had just touched the runner (no tag with the ball)...would he have been out?

cj's dad
04-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Question: If the catcher had just touched the runner (no tag with the ball)...would he have been out?

NO !! It was not a force play which could have required merely touching home plate !

It was NOT a force play however, therefore the runner MUST be tagged with the ball, either in bare hand or in the glove

ezrabrooks
04-22-2010, 10:49 AM
NO !! It was not a force play which could have required merely touching home plate !

It was NOT a force play however, therefore the runner MUST be tagged with the ball, either in bare hand or in the glove

When a base runner attempts to run over the catcher...he gives up the right to be tagged..and is out if the catcher holds on to the ball. In this case, he was avoiding the tag, so I was wondering if the same rule would apply.

cj's dad
04-22-2010, 11:04 AM
When a base runner attempts to run over the catcher... he gives up the right to be tagged..and is out if the catcher holds on, he was avoiding the tag, so I was wondering if the same rule would apply.

Did you watch the video ?? Running over the catcher was NEVER an issue and trying to avoid the tag is irrelevant as to being tagged with the ball.

ezrabrooks
04-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Did you watch the video ?? Running over the catcher was NEVER an issue and trying to avoid the tag is irrelevant as to being tagged with the ball.

Yes..I watched the video. As I had never seen a play like that, where the runner went over the top, instead of sliding around...and wondered what the call would have been if the runner had touched the catcher at the top of his jump. That all. The fact that it wasn't a force play was not an issue..possibly colliding with the catcher was.