PDA

View Full Version : RAMON DOMINGUEZ

exiles
04-21-2010, 05:13 PM
A typical day for the best rider in the country.

RACE-1 6/5 2ND

RACE-3 3/2 WON

RACE-4 4-1 2ND

RACE-5 4/5 3D

RACE- 6 9/5 2ND

RACE-8 2/5 2ND

RACE-9 4/5 OUT

Rode in 8 races 7 of them favorites, 3 of them odds on, and he managed to win a total of 1 race,he thought that he had won the 6th too but he got beat, because the horse that beat him was ridden by MARAGH who is much better than him.

Hanover1
04-21-2010, 05:18 PM

RACE-1 6/5 2ND

RACE-3 3/2 WON

RACE-4 4-1 2ND

RACE-5 4/5 3D

RACE- 6 9/5 2ND

RACE-8 2/5 2ND

RACE-9 4/5 OUT

Rode in 8 races 7 of them favorites, 3 of them odds on, and he managed to win a total of 1 race,he thought that he had won the 6th too but he got beat, because the horse that beat him was ridden by MARAGH who is much better than him.
How can this be seen as a bad day?-lots of in the money action, and this is with having everyone else in these fields keying on his mounts as the one to beat......while many guys rattle off a string on any given day, this appears to be much more in line with typical, and my money sez stats bear this out.....

exiles
04-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Good day for Dominguez 's bank account, bad day for the chalk players.

tzipi
04-21-2010, 05:25 PM
I can put up tons of charts like that for Cordero,Shoemaker,Pincay,etc,etc. Just wasn't his day. Doesn't make him less of a jockey. Are we really calling out one day to say a rider is not good?

the little guy
04-21-2010, 05:26 PM
Good day for Dominguez 's bank account, bad day for the chalk players.

Sorry you had a bad day.....though I can't say I'm surprised.

tzipi
04-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Where are all the charts from this winter were Ramon dominated the card?

46zilzal
04-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Anyone backing that plug in the nightcap should really review form cycles.

exiles
04-21-2010, 05:35 PM

Last time i bet on Dominguez, he was still riding at DEL. AND HE WASN'T ON THE CHALK, i make my living betting against the chalk, especially DOMINGUEZ.

exiles
04-21-2010, 05:54 PM
Where are all the charts from this winter were Ramon dominated the card?

In the winter he was on the chalk every race most of them odds on, and riding against very bad riders,now the good jockeys like,Maragh C.VZ, are back so he's not going to have it easy anymore, look at today's 6th he thought he was home free, but here comes RAJIV and snatches the victory away from the best rider in the country,guess where i had my money.

tzipi
04-21-2010, 06:03 PM
In the winter he was on the chalk every race most of them odds on, and riding against very bad riders,now the good jockeys like,Maragh C.VZ, are back so he's not going to have it easy anymore, look at today's 6th he thought he was home free, but here comes RAJIV and snatches the victory away from the best rider in the country,guess where i had my money.

Oh yeah totally agree, surely a better colony of jocks right now but he did have some decent prices on horses that he went out front with and put the field to sleep or saved ground with and took a rail ride. Bottom line is no jock is going to keep winning at 30% in a good colony of jocks and Ramon is a fine rider and I dont think a few loses or a bad day here and there makes him any less of a rider. That's all.

Cardus
04-21-2010, 06:07 PM
After a day like that, I suppose he should be riding at Penn National.

exiles
04-21-2010, 06:15 PM
Oh yeah totally agree, surely a better colony of jocks right now but he did have some decent prices on horses that he went out front with and put the field to sleep or saved ground with and took a rail ride. Bottom line is no jock is going to keep winning at 30% in a good colony of jocks and Ramon is a fine rider and I dont think a few loses or a bad day here and there makes him any less of a rider. That's all.

TZIPI, I agree w/ you he is not a bad rider, but all these posts about how he is the best rider in the country, and like he is the 2nd coming of WILLIE THE SHOE, makes me want to point out why i think he is not that good, riding the best horse almost every race,and riding against very weak riders,will make anybody look good.

BombsAway Bob
04-21-2010, 06:20 PM
After a day like that, I suppose he should be riding at Penn National.
First Post @ 6:30pm.. he could even have a bite between gigs...

Fager Fan
04-21-2010, 07:35 PM
TZIPI, I agree w/ you he is not a bad rider, but all these posts about how he is the best rider in the country, and like he is the 2nd coming of WILLIE THE SHOE, makes me want to point out why i think he is not that good, riding the best horse almost every race,and riding against very weak riders,will make anybody look good.

And how often does the favorite win?

cuzimahustler
04-21-2010, 08:35 PM

RACE-1 6/5 2ND

RACE-3 3/2 WON

RACE-4 4-1 2ND

RACE-5 4/5 3D

RACE- 6 9/5 2ND

RACE-8 2/5 2ND

RACE-9 4/5 OUT

Seems right to me favorites are in the money 75% of the time are they not?

therussmeister
04-21-2010, 08:41 PM

So why were they favorites? Were they the best horses? Or do they over-bet Dominguez?

In the two races I handicapped I didn't see enough reason to make his horses the favorite.

kenwoodallpromos
04-21-2010, 08:51 PM
"With a record of 376-268-233 from 1,560 starters in New York in 2009, Dominguez won with more than 24 percent of his mounts, which earned $15,338,310."

shouldacoulda
04-22-2010, 01:00 AM

RACE-1 6/5 2ND

RACE-3 3/2 WON

RACE-4 4-1 2ND

RACE-5 4/5 3D

RACE- 6 9/5 2ND

RACE-8 2/5 2ND

RACE-9 4/5 OUT

If he is the best rider in the country how can you say Maragh is better? How can you say he is the best in the country? Better than Baze? or Smith? or Nakatani? Homeister? His horses get bet down because the chalkers love him. I respect his abilities but I wouldn't say he is the best in the country. I also don't see how you could rate his talents by one day either.

Dahoss9698
04-22-2010, 01:10 AM
If he is the best rider in the country how can you say Maragh is better? How can you say he is the best in the country? Better than Baze? or Smith? or Nakatani? Homeister? His horses get bet down because the chalkers love him. I respect his abilities but I wouldn't say he is the best in the country. I also don't see how you could rate his talents by one day either.

Do you really think any of the riders you mentioned are better riders than Dominguez?

Homeister?

Light
04-22-2010, 02:04 AM
RD does not set the odds, the public does. It's just that everyone pays attention to the leading rider and usually bets his mounts down to favoritism by giving him the benefit of the doubt that his horse must be live if the leading rider is getting on. After all why would the leading rider bother with a loser? He can have almost any mount,right? It's a pervasive racetrack mentality that goes on accross the country.I didn't like most of Dominguez's mounts today and I dont blame him for his poor showing. I blame the public for their incorrect assessment of his mounts. Thank God for that,otherwise there would be no profit to make in this game.

shouldacoulda
04-22-2010, 02:11 AM
Do you really think any of the riders you mentioned are better riders than Dominguez?

Homeister?

I wanted to change that post but got locked in while editing it . I checked the stats and Baze is the only one that has better numbers than him. Also understand I am not trying to bust on Dominguez either. What I wanted posted said that 1 out of the money and 1 3rd place wasn't too shabby. Not by any means. Bottom line, you don't win consecutive awards like he has by sucking.
RD sprints 24%win 58% in the $ routes 25% win 64% in the $

Maybe you should read what I said in response to another criticism of him post #42
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69142&page=3&pp=15

Linny
04-22-2010, 08:40 AM
Arcaro had days like that too. The fact is the almost everything he rides is overbet. That common hanger he lost the 1st on has never crossed the line first, but faces winners because of a DQ.

Mr. Fantasy was insanely overbet as the "hype" horse. The winner was logical and Ramon had won 2 in a row on him, but went to Mr F because he'd made a commitment to him when he went to FLA to ride him in his return. If Ramon stays with Dr. W then Mr F would have been about 2-1 and Dr W about 5-1. The guy wins enough that he actually has an effect on the pools, and in NY that's saying something.

the little guy
04-22-2010, 09:03 AM
Arcaro had days like that too. The fact is the almost everything he rides is overbet. That common hanger he lost the 1st on has never crossed the line first, but faces winners because of a DQ.

Mr. Fantasy was insanely overbet as the "hype" horse. The winner was logical and Ramon had won 2 in a row on him, but went to Mr F because he'd made a commitment to him when he went to FLA to ride him in his return. If Ramon stays with Dr. W then Mr F would have been about 2-1 and Dr W about 5-1. The guy wins enough that he actually has an effect on the pools, and in NY that's saying something.

Mr. Fantasy would have gone from 2:5 to 2:1 with another rider? Come on.

Linny
04-22-2010, 09:09 AM
Maybe even. If Ramon hops off to stay with Assmussen, Dr. W would be far lower at the expense of Mr. F.

Everything he rides is overbet.

MONEY
04-22-2010, 10:08 AM
Maybe even. If Ramon hops off to stay with Assmussen, Dr. W would be far lower at the expense of Mr. F.

In my opinion, Mr Fantasy was a bad favorite. It was his second race off of an eleven month layoff. I think that they are prepping him to win at a longer distance.
Anyway lets forget about Dominguez & Mr Fantasy.
The Tampa horses are already shipping out and winning. It's time to start making some money on an angle that works every year in late April & all of May.

money

the little guy
04-22-2010, 10:37 AM

I don't disagree that he takes a lot of money, and often is overbet, but Mr. Fantasy lives on his own island, and has a reputation that in this case transcends Ramon. Plus, given he's a West Point horse he was already going to be overbet.

castaway01
04-22-2010, 10:42 AM
I don't disagree that he takes a lot of money, and often is overbet, but Mr. Fantasy lives on his own island, and has a reputation that in this case transcends Ramon. Plus, given he's a West Point horse he was already going to be overbet.

And being trained by Hushion winning at 40% didn't help the odds either.

Guys, c'mon...Dominguez is very talented. Every top rider is overbet, but the touch this guy displays is a gift. Of course being a top rider and being able to make money betting all the heavy chalk he rides is a different story, but that's gambling.

the little guy
04-22-2010, 10:48 AM
And being trained by Hushion winning at 40% didn't help the odds either.

Guys, c'mon...Dominguez is very talented. Every top rider is overbet, but the touch this guy displays is a gift. Of course being a top rider and being able to make money betting all the heavy chalk he rides is a different story, but that's gambling.

Right, blaming a rider because he rode a short priced horse that lost, in and of itself, is preposterous. A rider may deserve blame, but the odds of his or her mounts are irrelevent. You might argue that taking unnecessary chances with short priced and likely winners is poor judgement but saying just because a short priced horse lost a rider is to blame is nonsensical.

The blame usually rests on us, the bettors, when we lose. The sooner any of us take that responsibility the better we will do going forward.

Linny
04-22-2010, 01:25 PM
Overbet horses lose every day. Mr F really needed to move up off his last race to win this race. It's not like the field was bad. The favorite had the trifecta of Hushion/WPT/Ramon and oddly enough, the winner was from Asmussen who was strangely underbet this past winter on the inner.

Because a good rider has "only" a 1-win day doesn't negate all the times he makes the right moves.

kenwoodallpromos
04-22-2010, 03:54 PM
This thread points up an example of conjecture vs. reality and facts in racing!

Cardus
04-22-2010, 03:59 PM
This thread points up an example of conjecture vs. reality and facts in racing!

And how is this different from any other thread?

andymays
05-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Not the best ride from Dominguez on the #2 Warbling.

This horse can close and he sends like there's no tomorrow. Given the circumstances it was weak.

Stillriledup
05-01-2016, 01:03 AM
So, I'm not a medical professional, but if Ramon asks a doctor if he could ride again, why would a doctor ever not go the safe route and say 'don't ride again'? It's not like doctors get any money if they recommend Ramon ride again and he does ride again without incident. If there's nothing in it for the doctor, you may as well say don't ride again, no doctor is going to risk his career even if it's kinda feasible that Ramon can ride again without any more risk than anyone else who falls off a speeding horse and hits his or her head.

Ramon should come back, get his 15 wins to get to 5000 and go out on his own terms.

Tall One
05-01-2016, 09:01 AM
OP reminded me of the tote influence Pat Day carried at KEE/CD. Only meet you could get a square price on his mounts was Saratoga.

I do recall that boxing Day/Sellers at CD was a fairly solid play though.

EMD4ME
05-01-2016, 09:55 AM
So, I'm not a medical professional, but if Ramon asks a doctor if he could ride again, why would a doctor ever not go the safe route and say 'don't ride again'? It's not like doctors get any money if they recommend Ramon ride again and he does ride again without incident. If there's nothing in it for the doctor, you may as well say don't ride again, no doctor is going to risk his career even if it's kinda feasible that Ramon can ride again without any more risk than anyone else who falls off a speeding horse and hits his or her head.

Ramon should come back, get his 15 wins to get to 5000 and go out on his own terms.

l love Ramon but he had the same surgeries on the same floor, in the same hospital that my mother had. That really hits me hard. Ramon can't even get shaken up by someone without fearing that he tore some cartiliedge in his brain and causing death.

When I walked into Belmont yesterday ( I haven't been there for 18 months ), I STILL walked up to the big picture of Ramon on Gio Ponti winning a race and caressed his head (on the pic). I have done that every racing day since 2013 as a way of wishing best health up there to him and to let him know one of his die hard fans still wishes he was riding.

There is not a single racing day that I don't wish Ramon was still riding.

There isn't a single jockey, in the last 10 years, who even comes CLOSE to having the performance level of

(Insert Tom Durkin's voice here)

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaamoooooooooooooon........

Domingueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzz

Donttellmeshowme
05-01-2016, 10:11 AM
l love Ramon but he had the same surgeries on the same floor, in the same hospital that my mother had. That really hits me hard. Ramon can't even get shaken up by someone without fearing that he tore some cartiliedge in his brain and causing death.

When I walked into Belmont yesterday ( I haven't been there for 18 months ), I STILL walked up to the big picture of Ramon on Gio Ponti winning a race and caressed his head (on the pic). I have done that every racing day since 2013 as a way of wishing best health up there to him and to let him know one of his die hard fans still wishes he was riding.

There isn't a single jockey, in the last 10 years, who even comes CLOSE to having the performance level of

We know your obsessed with Ramon but there were plenty of riders that were better than him.

EMD4ME
05-01-2016, 10:21 AM
We know your obsessed with Ramon but there were plenty of riders that were better than him.

In the last 10 years, there isn't a single jockey that even comes close to the talent, ability and performance level of Ramon.

Not speaking jaded or biased, I call it like it is. Not 1 even comes REMOTELY close to Ramon.

And before anyone starts calling out stats, it's not about stats. It's about watching hundreds of thousands of races and seeing someone who head and shoulders was on a different planet over others.

Donttellmeshowme
05-01-2016, 10:55 AM
In the last 10 years, there isn't a single jockey that even comes close to the talent, ability and performance level of Ramon.

Not speaking jaded or biased, I call it like it is. Not 1 even comes REMOTELY close to Ramon.

And before anyone starts calling out stats, it's not about stats. It's about watching hundreds of thousands of races and seeing someone who head and shoulders was on a different planet over others.

Bawahhhhhhhhhhhhhh thats funny.

Shemp Howard
05-01-2016, 11:04 AM

"hundreds of thousands of races"......really?

Did you ever see him win a Triple Crown race?

EMD4ME
05-01-2016, 11:52 AM

My mother's Teddy Bear can win a TC race if strapped on appropriately. That does not define how great a jock is.

When I was in 6th grade, my fellow student called me stupid. My reply? "You're so stupid, you don't even know that you're stupid. If you were smart, you wouldn't be stupid. If you knew that you were stupid, you wouldn't be stupid as it takes brains to know what stupid is."

His reply: No. You're stupid.

Me: I was pulled out of 1st grade as I was too advanced for it. I am skipping 8th grade as I am too advanced for it. We have 2 classes for each grade. Ever wonder why? Because 1 is for the smart kids and 1 is for the slow kids.

His reply: No. We just have too many kids.

Point to that story: If one can't tell that Ramon was the greatest rider in the last 10 years, there is no explaining to anyone as they could never recognize true greatness if it hit them in the face.

No offense to any of you or anyone else :) .....Carry on.

P.S. Yes, I've been watching replays for about 12 years religously. That's 4383 days (add an extra day for leap years). 4383 times about 50 a day is approximately, 219150.

219,150 is hundreds of thousands.

I might be short changing myself as I am not counting live races watched.

Then it might be 500,000

Kash$
05-01-2016, 11:59 AM
My mother's Teddy Bear can win a TC race if strapped on appropriately. That does not define how great a jock is.

When I was in 6th grade, my fellow student called me stupid. My reply? "You're so stupid, you don't even know that you're stupid. If you were smart, you wouldn't be stupid. If you knew that you were stupid, you wouldn't be stupid as it takes brains to know what stupid is."

Me: I was pulled out of 1st grade as I was too advanced for it. I am skipping 8th grade as I am too advanced for it. We have 2 classes for each grade. Ever wonder why? Because 1 is for the smart kids and 1 is for the slow kids.

Point to that story: If one can't tell that Ramon was the greatest rider in the last 10 years, there is no explaining to anyone as they could never recognize true greatness if it hit them in the face.

P.S. Yes, I've been watching replays for about 12 years religously. That's 4383 days (add an extra day for leap years). 4383 times about 50 a day is approximately, 219150.

Then it might be 500,000

EMD-but Alan Garcia won a triple crown race.. :lol:

castaway01
05-01-2016, 12:28 PM
I thought Ramon was great, but seeing how much EMD4NOCLUE likes him almost single-handedly makes me doubt my opinion. Did you really write, "Me: I was pulled out of 1st grade as I was too advanced for it. I am skipping 8th grade as I am too advanced for it. We have 2 classes for each grade. Ever wonder why? Because 1 is for the smart kids and 1 is for the slow kids." You're seriously trying to impress us with how smart you were in first grade? What a sad, insecure little person.

cj
05-01-2016, 12:31 PM
Bawahhhhhhhhhhhhhh thats funny.

Could you, just for one day, quit being a troll?

If you want to disagree do so constructively with an actual counterpoint.

Donttellmeshowme
05-01-2016, 12:36 PM
Could you, just for one day, quit being a troll?

If you want to disagree do so constructively with an actual counterpoint.

I think Shemp made my point as to why i dont think hes a great rider. Winning riding titles at Aqueduct does not make you a great rider. Gary Stevens on one leg is a better rider than Ramon.

cj
05-01-2016, 12:39 PM
I think Shemp made my point as to why i dont think hes a great rider. Winning riding titles at Aqueduct does not make you a great rider. Gary Stevens on one leg is a better rider than Ramon.

Since you didn't know what he was going to post my point remains. Stop trolling, have something to actually say.

EMD4ME
05-01-2016, 12:49 PM
I thought Ramon was great, but seeing how much EMD4NOCLUE likes him almost single-handedly makes me doubt my opinion. Did you really write, "Me: I was pulled out of 1st grade as I was too advanced for it. I am skipping 8th grade as I am too advanced for it. We have 2 classes for each grade. Ever wonder why? Because 1 is for the smart kids and 1 is for the slow kids." You're seriously trying to impress us with how smart you were in first grade? What a sad, insecure little person.

I don't need to impress anyone. To be blunt, I have no time right now to waste on you PA trolls. When you handle $10,000 on a card, wasting time on here between 1 pm and 10 pm is a distraction. I made my point, nothing else to say besides it was an analogy. To make a point.

Be back much later on, if you'd like to continue.

EMD4ME
05-01-2016, 12:53 PM

Battery Stevens? :lol:

Ramon was so intelligent, so prepared, so f'n great, the man DIDN'T even need the WHIP most of the time :lol: :lol: :lol:

He beat his foes with his brain, something most others don't possess.

EMD4ME
05-01-2016, 12:54 PM
EMD-but Alan Garcia won a triple crown race.. :lol:

I hit the "report bad post" button for this post :lol: :lol: :lol: as LOGIC is not allowed by the trolls on here (not PA, CJ and other mods but the true trolls).

Please don't use logic in these discussions sir :D :D

Stillriledup
05-01-2016, 02:42 PM

Pot meet kettle. Funny how mr Hatorade is posting this garbage. Cmon, you're better than that.

Robert Fischer
05-01-2016, 06:34 PM
I hope this isn't too messy and can be appreciated by someone.

I've made a fair amount of posts on this site, so I searched "Dominguez" under my name and it brought up a lot of my thoughts on RD frozen in real-time. :ThmbUp:

Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
Castellano - who has developed a feather-touch (a la Dominguez) saving horse at the top of stretch and getting the most out Pletcher favorites with strong tactical speed.

Quote:
Interesting ride by Talamo on the fav.

He took the first turn like a cowboy (as opposed to a Ramon Dominguez type ride where he would have come over to the rail and then sit chilly and benefit from controlling the rail prior to the turn).

Quote:
Also, and it may be too subtle, but Flashback breaking a little sluggishly may have caused a little bit of urging and a bit of an unnecessary rush into the first turn. You can kind of ease up through the first turn with a tactical horse on the rail. -You make up ground by being inside without using horse. How many times have we seen Dominguez or someone play the first turn? ...

Quote:
No excuse for losing that, and it still took strong handling from Dominguez on Overanalyze to beat him

Quote:
whether it was Dominguez, or the layoff... He ran maybe the best race of his life

Quote:
but with Horse and rider sitting tight (picture Dominguez when he knows he has secured rail position going to the 1st turn)...

Quote:
the 7 ski holiday can get a piece in spite of her lack of a sustained move, she does have one small move, and quality for Dominguez to guide up.

Quote:
i liked how Lezcano rode that race with the :1: DRINKSONTHEHOUSE.
He set behind the pace group, a lot like Dominguez would do. Ramon (at least for certain @ Saratoga, probably Belmont too) would have waited in the 2 path and possibly finished better, but Lezcano took the Belmont turn wider and still had enough horse.

Quote:
Dominguez doesn't just get mesmerized and fall-in-line like some jocks would have, he sad F-this! and took it.

Quote:
Dominguez out to a smooth start. didn't use him.

Quote:
Haven't done serious capping yet, but what about Dominguez going to ride RULE in the Woodward?

Is that a negative for TRICKMEISTER? a positive for RULE? or just a change?

Quote:
:3: Dominguez can help judge the pace in this sprint.

Quote:
nice ride by Dominguez on the :4: .

Quote:
:7: Dominguez gets 2nd chance pressing from outside today...

Quote:
Reminded a lot of STONECOLDSTEAMER yesterday. For some reason Dominguez didn't get the memo from Junior Alvarado that horses on the lead should be whipped into the rail , wrangled back and then whipped off their lead several jumps from the rail. :bang:

Dominguez rode him like a professional instead, and guided the horse to a WIN.
Like Night and Day.

Quote:
A guy like Castellano, who may be physical in both hadling of a horse and in-fighting with other horses/jockeys, will miss the whip more

than a say, a guy like Dominguez who typically is more finesse and speed oriented.

Quote:
You think Leparoux is going to come and eat Dominguez' bread in NY ?? :lol::lol:

Quote:
These are obviously not a comprehensive list of jockey tendencies. There is a learning curve to analyzing these abilities. Just as we would debate Eli and Brady's specific abilities and characteristics, we do the same for Castellano and Dominguez. When a level of insight is attained the current and past performances of jockeys (seeing them race) can be critically analyzed. The next step is applying this "jockey physicality" to a FUTURE event.

Quote:
I will be shocked if Dominguez does not get much better stock to ride.

Quote:
pretty good to run down a classic Dominguez wire job.

Dominguez did his signature graded turf route winning wire-to-wire ride, and Get Stormy was plenty capable - not only in having the requisite virtues to pull off that trip, but even being favored by the public. Looked a little surprised (RD made no error, i'm emphasizing the surprisingly strong run by the winner) to see the grey blow by.

Quote:
physicality picks

:4: is well meant gelding from the jump of his career... and is in shape and Dominguez (i know this isn't physicality but must include).

Quote:
:10:
10- is coming into own for clement , but will be cheering home 5 as well. Dominguez can be tough on the lead, and this horse could get brave at good odds.

Quote:
dirt or turf Dominguez is king on the lead with a sound animal... he lets his horse run, yet keeps his steed relaxed... uses the track configurations to his advantage...and often conserves horse into the far turn while still maintaining his position of leader.

Quote:
He had a dream trip and a solid race but he wasn't of the stamina of the big 3 and Astrology.

Broke well, Dominguez eased him over prior to the turn, eased him out prior to the 2nd turn just off the pace(perfect spot to win at Pimlico) he actually ran well around the turn but once he changed leads he flattened out in the drive.

Quote:
looked like Dominguez stole the break on Strike A Deal, and Cornelio Velasquez(bet down fav Winchester) rode the shit out of my horse(5-2 Al Khali) who still got up.

Quote:
Watch the turn- Dominguez on Super Saver eases into the final turn saving a ton of horse for a sure win, but Rose knows his rival from their days at Delaware and other tracks and Rose moves while Dominguez is "saving" horse and Rose has his horse brush Super Saver. Super Saver can't recover and never gets a chance to change leads until the shadow of the wire, if at all.

Quote:
Dominguez DOMINATED. Usually in the right place, good judgement, even with occasional inner bias where you may have several jockeys gunning for a spot he controls those races.
He doesn't hinder as many horses as just about every jockey.

Quote:
in the 8th?

El Tamberito is proven rateable for Dominguez , probably stalking the rail trip hoping for a pace collapse.

Quote:
Dominguez can slow things down on the turf. His race with Savannah Peach on 9/15/08 was one of my favorites. He exploited the fact that the gate is out of the chute, and then he called the other rider's bluff. Took a mediocre 6f horse out in 26.84 and 3/4ths in 1:18.90 for an easy romp over an 8.5furlong trip.

Quote:
There are very few jockeys who have any talent whatsoever at going wire to wire in a turf route. Maybe it is extremely difficult? Regardless it is rare to see the talent. Ramon Dominguez is the best in North America, possibly the world. He relaxes the horse, he controls the pace and he has enough finesse to give his horse every chance to be strong in the stretch.

Quote:
you see so many past performances where with Dominguez the horse won on a clear wire-to-wire lead for the first time in it's life, and today it has luzzi or garcia so it is such an easy bet against because Ramon Dominguez won the last race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompano1 2008
whos the best jockey in new york

Quote:
Quote:
Dominguez can slow things down on the turf. His race with Savannah Peach on 9/15/08 was one of my favorites. He exploited the fact that the gate is out of the chute, and then he called the other rider's bluff. Took a mediocre 6f horse out in 26.84 and 3/4ths in 1:18.90 for an easy romp over an 8.5furlong trip.

Robert Fischer
05-01-2016, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Watch the turn- Dominguez on Super Saver eases into the final turn saving a ton of horse for a sure win, but Rose knows his rival from their days at Delaware and other tracks and Rose moves while Dominguez is "saving" horse and Rose has his horse brush Super Saver. Super Saver can't recover and never gets a chance to change leads until the shadow of the wire, if at all.

I guess this was technically a great ride by Jeremy Rose(School Yard Dreams ,2010 Tampa Bay Derby)

Dahoss9698
05-02-2016, 09:48 AM

I'd be interested in seeing you provide 3 riders in the last 10 years who were better than Dominguez.

I'll give you a mulligan on Stevens. One of the best ever, but in the last 10 years? Not even close.

SandyW
05-02-2016, 10:00 AM
I'd be interested in seeing you provide 3 riders in the last 10 years who were better than Dominguez.

I'll give you a mulligan on Stevens. One of the best ever, but in the last 10 years? Not even close.

Maybe not 3, but surely one named Joel Rosario.:)

AlBundy33
05-02-2016, 11:38 AM
Dominguez to me was like Ron Pierce at The Meadowlands, I bet on them, they lose. Bet against them, they beat you. :D

But in the end, Ramon was probably the best when it came to your normal everyday race card. As for big money races, you have to put John Velazquez and Mike Smith ahead of him.

MonmouthParkJoe
05-02-2016, 11:59 AM
Ramon "Long and strong" was always my guy. When he left, a part of me died :D

I still got Bravo left

onefast99
05-02-2016, 04:17 PM

Then it might be 500,000He rode Gossip Column for me at Saratoga a few years back, we were 9/5 and he had a ton of horse in the stretch but didn't keep the rail shut and we got beat by a head. He came walking over to me and my trainer and said, guys that was my fault I didn't keep your horse where he should have been. That to me was enough to realize the guy is as good as it gets.

PaceAdvantage
05-02-2016, 05:04 PM
I don't need to impress anyone. To be blunt, I have no time right now to waste on you PA trolls.I don't think I've ever seen castaway as a troll. Have I missed something?

Disagreeing with you does not make one a troll.

Donttellmeshowme
05-02-2016, 05:14 PM

P Val
Stevens
V Espinosa
G. Gomez
Borel
Castellano

That's 6 jocks that would undress Ramon. Next........

the little guy
05-02-2016, 05:35 PM
P Val
Stevens
V Espinosa
G. Gomez
Borel
Castellano

This is very sad.

Stillriledup
05-02-2016, 06:17 PM
P Val
Stevens
V Espinosa
G. Gomez
Borel
Castellano

:bang:

Wow.

Donttellmeshowme
05-02-2016, 06:40 PM
P Val
Stevens
V Espinosa
G. Gomez
Borel
Castellano

If your going to troll at least make at least one point. If not move on...

Tall One
05-02-2016, 06:52 PM
Patrick Valenzuela..?

-You quoted yourself, dtmsm

Donttellmeshowme
05-02-2016, 07:29 PM
Patrick Valenzuela..?

-You quoted yourself, dtmsm

One of the best when he wasn't strung out

EMD4ME
05-02-2016, 08:38 PM
I don't think I've ever seen castaway as a troll. Have I missed something?

Disagreeing with you does not make one a troll.

Next time I disagree with someone , I'll just call them a sad little insecure person. :rolleyes:

Dahoss9698
05-02-2016, 11:53 PM
P Val
Stevens
V Espinosa
G. Gomez
Borel
Castellano

He rode side by side with Castellano for years and that never happened so....

Borel? Come on. Even you can't really believe that. Because he certainly didn't undress him when they rode together at Saratoga.

Gomez was a great rider sporadically. At no point was he ever better than Dominguez when it came to riding on the front end, judging pace, putting his mount in the best spot to win and preparation.

Stevens and P Val were great riders in their day. You'd have to be sharing P Val's stash to think he's been even in the same realm of riding as Dominguez in the last 15-20 years though.

Victor's a very good rider but not sure he's ever even been the best rider in his own circuit, so who's he undressing?

SandyW
05-03-2016, 12:04 AM
Ramon "Long and strong" was always my guy. When he left, a part of me died :D

I still got Bravo left

Jersey Joe Bravo, as good as there is, especially on the lawn, very rarely makes a mistake.

cj
05-03-2016, 12:05 AM
Jersey Joe Bravo, as good as there is, especially on the lawn, very rarely makes a mistake.

You've got to be kidding. Maybe in Jersey he is.

the little guy
05-03-2016, 12:30 AM
You've got to be kidding. Maybe in Jersey he is.

There is some serious hilarity in this thread.

Bravo has a patent on the wide premature move.

Zaf
05-03-2016, 12:38 AM
There is some serious hilarity in this thread.

Bravo has a patent on the wide premature move.

:lol:

AlBundy33
05-03-2016, 01:33 AM
P Val
Stevens
V Espinosa
G. Gomez
Borel
Castellano

:lol: :lol: :lol: :eek: :eek: :eek:

no breathalyzer
05-03-2016, 08:01 AM
G. Gomez is the only one that could come close... might even be better at times when head was rite.. Bravo doesn't do that silly shit when he really wants to win on a super live one.. its almost like he does that on purpose to give the horse a nice workout for next time.. but only on players dime.. i have cashed some really nice ones watching this. i can see why people get so mad at his rides.. paco lopez is another jockey you never know what you are going to get.. he gives some really wtf rides often.. i cashed some nice ones at GP this winter .. using paco off angle

Cice
05-03-2016, 08:06 AM
Ramon was a bad bad man! He was a scientist!

Tall One
05-03-2016, 08:20 AM
One of the best when he wasn't strung out

Gomez as well, but if we're going in that direction, Antley (rip) gets the nod.

Castellano is alright in my book, and Rosario could be mentioned briefly in the conversation, but neither is/was in the same company as Dominguez.

Donttellmeshowme
05-03-2016, 08:46 AM
Gomez as well, but if we're going in that direction, Antley (rip) gets the nod.

Castellano is alright in my book, and Rosario could be mentioned briefly in the conversation, but neither is/was in the same company as Dominguez.

He wanted jocks in the last 10 years

EMD4ME
05-03-2016, 09:17 AM
5 years ago 1M Belmont widener turf. Invested 400 into pick 6. All tickets ended in 48 except for one. Somehow I screwed up and didn't properly click the 8 on one of the tickets. Get live to the last race with the 4 , without the 8. The 4 had more tactical speed and the better post. Javier on the 4. Ramon on the 8. I knew I was dead.

Gate opens, Javier looks like he has no plan, just winging it. Ramon tucks and places his horse behind a live horse. Javier gets caught 3 wide (had an easy chance to tuck) without tucking.

Javier goes into his premature 3 wide move, Ramon sits chilly following a live horse.

Do you really need to know the ending???

Javier distributed his horses energy reserves inappropriately, while Ramon and his feather hands have his mount jogging at the 1/4 pole. Ramon angles out effortlessly and without the use of his whip blows by Javier at the 1/16.

$24,000 pick 6.

Went out to the apron and asked Javier if he needed help putting his pants back on.

Yelled out to Ramon: best in the world Ramon. (Despite losing 24,000 on a mistake).

Countless and I mean countless stories like this in ten years where jocks mental inefficiencies were exposed by Ramon.

Tall One
05-03-2016, 10:47 AM
He wanted jocks in the last 10 years

And you list Valenzuela?

Borrow a famous line from Rick Pitino...Arazi and Sunday Silence arent walking through that door.

Donttellmeshowme
05-03-2016, 02:16 PM
And you list Valenzuela?

Borrow a famous line from Rick Pitino...Arazi and Sunday Silence arent walking through that door.

He's ridden in the last 10 years. Do your homework....

Tall One
05-03-2016, 03:05 PM

I dont need to study anything, pal...and other than being reinstated for the millionth time, what has he done in the past ten years that warranted you to compare him to Dominguez?

EMD4ME
05-03-2016, 06:12 PM

You're embarrassing yourself....Please try and save some face.

P Val in the last 10 years dominated what circuit? P Val in the last 10 years had what sustained run of sheer brilliance?

Most of his strengths, if any, were pumping the crap out of a speedball on a speed biased track. Not visibly apparent that he was memorizing competitors silks, knowing who's who, who to follow, amazing rate jobs, decisions, etc.

It's obvious you're just a hater who can't recognize a once in a lifetime talent.

whodoyoulike
05-04-2016, 05:58 PM
I don't remember watching very many of Ramon's races and can't recall any of them. Probably because he rode on the east coast. But, some very good jockeys the last 10 years would be:

Mike Smith (32,483-5,324-4,548-4,147 - $274.6 mil p/s $8,453) **
Joel Rosario (11,661-2,160-1,939-1,713 - $134.1 mil -- $11,502)
Irad Ortiz (7,181-1,221-1,084-1,070 - $75.9 mil -- $10,573)
Raphael Bejarano (17,556-3,634-3,176-2,543 - $177.6 mil -- $10,114)
Victor Espinoza (21,359-3,270-3,127-2,896 - $186.5 mil -- $8,734)
Martin Garcia (9,022-1,401-1,247-1,148 - $76.5 mil -- $8,476)

Ramon Dominguez (21,267-4,985-3,855-3,160 - $191.6 mil -- $9,010)

Jerry Bailey (30,857-5,894-4,554-3,925 - $296.2 mil -- $9,599)
Gary Stevens (28,563-5,053-4,505-4,135 - $246.2 mil -- $8,620)

** per Equibase as of 05/4/16

EMD4ME
05-04-2016, 07:18 PM
I don't remember watching very many of Ramon's races and can't recall any of them. Probably because he rode on the east coast. But, some very good jockeys the last 10 years would be:

Mike Smith (32,483-5,324-4,548-4,147 - $274.6 mil p/s $8,453) **
Joel Rosario (11,661-2,160-1,939-1,713 - $134.1 mil -- $11,502)
Irad Ortiz (7,181-1,221-1,084-1,070 - $75.9 mil -- $10,573)
Raphael Bejarano (17,556-3,634-3,176-2,543 - $177.6 mil -- $10,114)
Victor Espinoza (21,359-3,270-3,127-2,896 - $186.5 mil -- $8,734)
Martin Garcia (9,022-1,401-1,247-1,148 - $76.5 mil -- $8,476)

Ramon Dominguez (21,267-4,985-3,855-3,160 - $191.6 mil -- $9,010)

Jerry Bailey (30,857-5,894-4,554-3,925 - $296.2 mil -- $9,599)
Gary Stevens (28,563-5,053-4,505-4,135 - $246.2 mil -- $8,620)

** per Equibase as of 05/4/16

I am not a stats guy but off of what you just said, highest winning % by far, highest in the money % by a landslide.

And believe you me, he rode MANY complete dead horses, MANY no shot FTS AND not many outfits would give him real G1 horses.

He is the only jockey, in my 35 years of watching horses, who ever, consistently increased a horse's performance/almost always helped a horse reach maximum performance levels.

How did he do that? Be studying replays of all contenders, not just his own.

By knowing the track bias much earlier that others.

He has the best hands that I personally have ever seen. He was so damn good, I BET, the horse felt less weight as he knew how to be in unison with the horse.

One of the best speed jocks I have EVER seen. It's not about pumping at the gate. It's about knowing how and when to ration out energy reserves.

Call a spade a spade, man's IQ was probably triple his peers.

EMD4ME
05-04-2016, 07:22 PM

You do realize Ramon didn't head down south to pick up a TC mount as his #1 loyalty was to his family right?

Not saying other jocks that do did anything wrong but Ramon wouldn't follow that train.

Also, for all of Ramon's greatness, he wasn't normally handed G1 horses. I said it then and I'll repeat it.

If Ramon rode for Pletcher in his hayday, Ramon would've batted 42%-45% and would've won 8 races in a day.

whodoyoulike
05-04-2016, 08:30 PM
I am not a stats guy but off of what you just said, highest winning % by far, highest in the money % by a landslide.

And believe you me, he rode MANY complete dead horses, MANY no shot FTS AND not many outfits would give him real G1 horses.

He is the only jockey, in my 35 years of watching horses, who ever, consistently increased a horse's performance/almost always helped a horse reach maximum performance levels. ...

As I stated, I really didn't notice RD's riding performances. There have been a number of excellent jockeys which I've seen racing on the track esp. Rosario, Bejarano, Bailey and Stevens. Because of your rants against Irad Ortiz, I've started paying attention to his races and he can really ride.

I've followed the SoCal circuit for years and at times there were probably a dozen or so who raced against each other at the same meets and would have won the riding title at any other track.

Bejarano got hurt a couple years ago and hasn't come back to his previous performances but Rosario, Ortiz and Bejarano can equal or surpass Dominguez's stats. But, I used the stats only as a reference because my criteria for evaluating a jockey's performance is the way they ride and position their horses during races.

And, why wouldn't outfits give him G1 horses?

EMD4ME
05-04-2016, 08:46 PM
As I stated, I really didn't notice RD's riding performances. There have been a number of excellent jockeys which I've seen racing on the track esp. Rosario, Bejarano, Bailey and Stevens. Because of your rants against Irad Ortiz, I've started paying attention to his races and he can really ride.

I've followed the SoCal circuit for years and at times there were probably a dozen or so who raced against each other at the same meets and would have won the riding title at any other track.

Bejarano got hurt a couple years ago and hasn't come back to his previous performances but Rosario, Ortiz and Bejarano can equal or surpass Dominguez's stats. But, I used the stats only as a reference because my criteria for evaluating a jockey's performance is the way they ride and position their horses during races.

And, why wouldn't outfits give him G1 horses?

Irad has darted to dead rails many times. Irad rode wide on Gold Rails and stayed wide proactively many times. Has made some bonehead decisions countless times (when he's trying to win). He's had some flashes of excellence. He is nowhere near Ramon. Irad is notorious for not sending horses who absolutely need to be ridden aggresively early (had rail posts, need the leaders etc.)

Why didn't Ramon get grade 1 horses as much as other completely over rated pin heads?

1) He didn't ride in Florida every winter
2) He didn't ride at Keeneland every April and Oct.
3) Pletcher had Johnny V and when Pletcher reached beyond Johnny he went to Javier (as both go to GP, a playground for TP).
4) I guess some outfits were naive to his talents

Maybe some more reasons, that I can't think of right now....Just giving you a quick response.

whodoyoulike
05-04-2016, 10:22 PM
Why didn't Ramon get grade 1 horses as much as other completely over rated pin heads?

1) He didn't ride in Florida every winter
2) He didn't ride at Keeneland every April and Oct.
3) Pletcher had Johnny V and when Pletcher reached beyond Johnny he went to Javier (as both go to GP, a playground for TP).
4) I guess some outfits were naive to his talents

Maybe some more reasons, that I can't think of right now....Just giving you a quick response.

I can see we're going to have some disagreements regarding Ramon's riding skills but remember I never formed an opinion on him. But, there were a lot of top trainers and outfits not just Pletcher on the east coast during his racing career.

I also remember Bailey wouldn't ride during a certain time of the year each year and he always got on a lot of Graded Stakes horses.

Besides, I think Russell Baze is still the winningest rider in the nation but he doesn't get very many Graded Stakes horses. And, I think he's a very good rider.

classhandicapper
05-05-2016, 09:00 AM

I don't pay near as much attention to jockeys as most players. I really only notice and care about the extremes. I don't think I've ever seen a better all around jockey than Ramon in the 40 years I've been a fan of the sport. He had no flaws I could ever find. He was great on every surface, at all distances, with every type of horse, adjusted to biases, adjusted to unexpected paces, saved ground, and finished well. Horses moved up for him. Some guys are just a gift to their sport. Ramon was that among jockeys. The closest thing I've ever see to him was the period that Steven Cauthen was the leading apprentice. He could do no wrong. Ramon made of career of it.

SandyW
05-05-2016, 10:17 AM
Most all your top jockeys will get the job done.
Getting mounts that can win is very big.

I remember when a reporter once asked Eddie Arcaro if the jockey means anything in a race, his answer was "I never won a race without a horse."

mannyberrios
05-05-2016, 12:11 PM
I don't pay near as much attention to jockeys as most players. I really only notice and care about the extremes. I don't think I've ever seen a better all around jockey than Ramon in the 40 years I've been a fan of the sport. He had no flaws I could ever find. He was great on every surface, at all distances, with every type of horse, adjusted to biases, adjusted to unexpected paces, saved ground, and finished well. Horses moved up for him. Some guys are just a gift to their sport. Ramon was that among jockeys. The closest thing I've ever see to him was the period that Steven Cauthen was the leading apprentice. He could do no wrong. Ramon made of career of it.
So true

EMD4ME
05-05-2016, 06:48 PM
Most all your top jockeys will get the job done.
Getting mounts that can win is very big.

I remember when a reporter once asked Eddie Arcaro if the jockey means anything in a race, his answer was "I never won a race without a horse."

True but in 35 years, I have never seen a jockey move a horse up tremendously like Ramon did. Only jock that I have ever seen do that consistently, not randomly once in a while.

AND....he moved them up 2 fold, 3 fold or 4 fold VS. other jocks perfect rides.

Besides all his attributes, I truly think he knew/leveraged his unique jockey height and was more in unison with a horse (reduced weight friction) AND he had the best hands that I have ever seen.

He would just release the reign and the horse would take off. No whip needed.

EMD4ME
05-05-2016, 06:50 PM

And to top it off, I never said to myself : "What a curious ride" with Ramon. Every ride was logical, made sense and was well intentioned.

WP1981
05-12-2016, 02:27 AM
Good news for fans of Ramon. Rajiv Maragh tweeting that Ramon has started a twitter account @RAMONandSHARON

EMD4ME
05-12-2016, 07:46 PM
Good news for fans of Ramon. Rajiv Maragh tweeting that Ramon has started a twitter account @RAMONandSHARON

I don't use Twitter but this motivates me to sign up.

I heard but can't substantiate it yet, that Ramon was at Belmont 3 weeks ago. Was in tears saying I wish I could ride again. :(

WP1981
05-12-2016, 11:18 PM
I don't use Twitter but this motivates me to sign up.

I heard but can't substantiate it yet, that Ramon was at Belmont 3 weeks ago. Was in tears saying I wish I could ride again. :(

http://i.imgur.com/Pbf0JCU.jpg

no breathalyzer
05-26-2016, 01:59 PM
For you Ramon fans http://horseracingradio.net/episode/jock-talk-ram%C3%B3n-dom%C3%ADnguez

1GCFAN
05-26-2016, 11:09 PM
Listened to the interview. Seems to be a great guy. Hard to believe he rode all those races in Maryland, but that was home.

EMD4ME
05-31-2016, 07:34 PM
Couple of weeks back was walking by the clubhouse side of the Paddock an hour to post and saw Ramon. He was just getting up to tend to some other task/endeavor.

I politely said somewhat loudly "Raaaamoooon". He looked back and I said: You don't know me but I am a huge fan. My mother was in my right hand (she can't walk independently anymore). I whispered that you and mom were in the same hospital, in the same area for the same injury. Reminded him that we met 4 years ago and reminded him how nice he was when he met us when we were all healthy and life was normal.

The man spent 40 minutes chatting us up, very nicely, cordially and professionally.

What a humble, Infitely IQ'd jockey and gentleman......

He is truly 1 of a kind.

Made my mother's day, to see someone recover from a similar injury. (Although my mom never will, we let her think she will).

Last words to him, you made my mother's day, week, month and year.

You can see the appreciation in his face.

Grits
05-31-2016, 09:45 PM
Couple of weeks back was walking by the clubhouse side of the Paddock an hour to post and saw Ramon. He was just getting up to tend to some other task/endeavor.

I politely said somewhat loudly "Raaaamoooon". He looked back and I said: You don't know me but I am a huge fan. My mother was in my right hand (she can't walk independently anymore). I whispered that you and mom were in the same hospital, in the same area for the same injury. Reminded him that we met 4 years ago and reminded him how nice he was when he met us when we were all healthy and life was normal.

The man spent 40 minutes chatting us up, very nicely, cordially and professionally.

What a humble, Infitely IQ'd jockey and gentleman......

He is truly 1 of a kind.

Made my mother's day, to see someone recover from a similar injury. (Although my mom never will, we let her think she will).

Last words to him, you made my mother's day, week, month and year.

You can see the appreciation in his face.

What a wonderful story you've shared, EMD. How great that you two were able to chat and visit, and with your mom joining in, as well.

I think Ramon is the top of the heap, and by that, I mean at the top of this industry in regard to "good folks". I'm enjoying his periscope videos. He talks about so many aspects of racing...a few days ago, he had the track super on. (Maybe he reads us here.) ;) Another segment before this last one? It was about...listening. It was so GOOD. He's an incredible human being, wise and sincere--it all shows, easily.

If you've not watched his videos, you may want to. You'd enjoy them.

EMD4ME
05-31-2016, 10:29 PM
What a wonderful story you've shared, EMD. How great that you two were able to chat and visit, and with your mom joining in, as well.

I think Ramon is the top of the heap, and by that, I mean at the top of this industry in regard to "good folks". I'm enjoying his periscope videos. He talks about so many aspects of racing...a few days ago, he had the track super on. (Maybe he reads us here.) ;) Another segment before this last one? It was about...listening. It was so GOOD. He's an incredible human being, wise and sincere--it all shows, easily.

If you've not watched his videos, you may want to. You'd enjoy them.

Thank you sincerely Grits. The smile he put on her face, was priceless....

Hee Hee, I asked him if he read PA but he didn't know what it was or at least he was being modest about it. I, like a 5 year old in awe of a famous ballplayer in front me, told him about how many of us love him on here.

Where can I see these videos? How often do they come out? I'd love to watch them. Thank you very much for pointing them out!

Grits
05-31-2016, 10:46 PM
Thank you sincerely Grits. The smile he put on her face, was priceless....

Hee Hee, I asked him if he read PA but he didn't know what it was or at least he was being modest about it. I, like a 5 year old in awe of a famous ballplayer in front me, told him about how many of us love him on here.

Where can I see these videos? How often do they come out? I'd love to watch them. Thank you very much for pointing them out!

Ramon has a Twitter page and a Facebook page. The periscope videos are, I think, likely, released at both. Too, you may check his website. He comes out with a new one every few days. :)

https://twitter.com/ramonandsharon