PDA

View Full Version : TVG exclusives while handle plummets

Foolish Pleasure
04-21-2010, 04:15 PM
IT is ridiculous beyond comprehension that HOL, DMR and TUP are still not offered on RTN.

IT was a joke to begin with since Roberts is obviously not taking bets-

but still while the KY tracks, EVD et al have become available on RTN,

DMR, HOL and TUP still aren't-it is ludicrous.

How can they not make their signal available to people paying $99/mo just for racing signals? JFC it is incomprehensibly stupid.

Lasix67
04-21-2010, 09:40 PM
I thought Dish network was suppose to start showing all the RTN channel last fall, but it continues to be delayed.

lamboguy
04-21-2010, 10:08 PM
you have to give TVG credit where it is due. they try hard and have kept the game alive. HRTV has not done a thing to promote the game. if anything they along with magna have wrecked it.

they covered the full Keeneland meet with a full staff every day. they hired a complete well liked profesional with Donna Barton. her insight is worth listening to. they had to lose money on the keeneland meet, it was the worst meet i have ever seen there. they must have had 5 reporters there every day with lots of staff not seen. if TVG wasn't there the handle would have been down 26% instead of the 13% that keeneland lost this year for whatever reasons.

TVG has done other things that were close to impossible to do, like have $100k pick four pools in Los Alamidos with $2000 claimers running in that place. they promote the rest of crappy meets in so. california as well.

someone that is not that well versed in the game can pick up a few things about horses just by listening to them.

sure there are plenty of things i don't like about them, like their announcer's reading off picks they came from someone in the backroom running computer programs. or their promotion of pick 4's and 6's because they wind up with more of a percentage if you bet them with their adw operation. in the long run i think they would be better off if they got rid of that format and just tried to pick winners.

on balance they are good for the game

Lasix67
04-21-2010, 10:16 PM
you have to give TVG credit where it is due. they try hard and have kept the game alive. HRTV has not done a thing to promote the game. if anything they along with magna have wrecked it.

they covered the full Keeneland meet with a full staff every day. they hired a complete well liked profesional with Donna Barton. her insight is worth listening to. they had to lose money on the keeneland meet, it was the worst meet i have ever seen there. they must have had 5 reporters there every day with lots of staff not seen. if TVG wasn't there the handle would have been down 26% instead of the 13% that keeneland lost this year for whatever reasons.

TVG has done other things that were close to impossible to do, like have $100k pick four pools in Los Alamidos with $2000 claimers running in that place. they promote the rest of crappy meets in so. california as well.

someone that is not that well versed in the game can pick up a few things about horses just by listening to them.

sure there are plenty of things i don't like about them, like their announcer's reading off picks they came from someone in the backroom running computer programs. or their promotion of pick 4's and 6's because they wind up with more of a percentage if you bet them with their adw operation. in the long run i think they would be better off if they got rid of that format and just tried to pick winners.

I agree 100% with your comments.

The Hawk
04-21-2010, 10:26 PM
it was the worst meet i have ever seen there. if TVG wasn't there the handle would have been down 26% instead of the 13% that keeneland lost this year [b}for whatever reasons.[/B]

I think you answered your own "question" as to why they're down so much at Keeneland. The meet hasn't been strong at all, and horseplayers have noticed. I used to play that meet blindly, and so do many others....not the case anymore. I'd rather play dirt tracks with full fields.

Lasix67
04-21-2010, 11:00 PM
I think you answered your own "question" as to why they're down so much at Keeneland. The meet hasn't been strong at all, and horseplayers have noticed. I used to play that meet blindly, and so do many others....not the case anymore. I'd rather play dirt tracks with full fields.

Evangeline Downs is the place for you.

InsideThePylons-MW
04-21-2010, 11:04 PM
you have to give TVG credit where it is due.

What does this have to do with TVG not allowing the Hollywood signal to be broadcast to the people paying for RTN each month?

They have an exclusive with Keeneland and they are on RTN due to Keeneland demands because numerous owners/trainers/industry people subscribe to RTN.

It's pretty chickenshiit when RTN contacts TVG and asks if they can show Hollywood which TVG replies to ask Hollywood Park and get back to us with their answer. When Hollywood says it's OK, then TVG, when told Hollywood says OK, TVG says NO you can't show it.

Valuist
04-21-2010, 11:26 PM
Its obvious TVG's philosophy is share, when it benefits them, and screw everyone else when they have an exclusive. Magna and CDI should've told them to go to hell when TVG wanted to do their pathetic "Gate Crashers" rip off of races from Santa Anita.

samyn on the green
04-22-2010, 12:05 AM
Give TVG credit. The fields at Keeneland averaged 4.9 starters per race and TVG staffed 5.0 reporters per race.

toussaud
04-22-2010, 01:20 AM
ils sont partis!

shouldacoulda
04-22-2010, 01:27 AM
I think the reason for a poor handle at Keenland is they have too many horses in the races. I cant be bothered handicapping a field of 14 especially when 4 or 5 will get scratched. When I see that I pass the race. If I see a card like that I pass on the card. I rarely look at the cards at Keenland anymore just for this reason. I think other people may be doing the same.

NJ Stinks
04-22-2010, 01:49 AM

Maybe TVG should get exclusive coverage of the WNBA or Major League Soccer. After all, look what they have done for Keeneland! :jump:

Lamboguy, when I'm watching Keeneland on TVG I am constantly in wonder. As in wondering why the folks at TVG keep telling me the next race at Keeneland is God's gift to handicappers everywhere? :rolleyes:

How many different ways can you sell the idea that all 7 horses in the field have a legitimate shot before you sound exactly like a huckster? :confused:

I don't enjoy being treated like a moron. So give me HRTV any day. Although I will admit I enjoy the more relaxed atmosphere at The Quarters late at night when it's the only game available. I even leap into Los Al's Pick 4's if I'm in the mood to play something. (It's not close to impossible to get me to bet on horseraces. ;) )

P.S. Did Will Rodgers Downs sign an exclusive deal with TVG? If so, can Todd Schrupp - the original Barnum - be far behind? :bang:

lamboguy
04-22-2010, 08:54 AM
aside from the personalities that some like or dislike, TVG works to promote the game, they got an exclusive on Monmouth and the handles went up the first year they were there, same with meadowlands harness. with the boutique meet along the ocean this summer they are probably going to have onsight coverage there, especiaolly since ints going to be a 3 day a week meet.

not everything is perfect, but TVG does make an effort

Canarsie
04-22-2010, 09:59 AM

You do realize that Keeneland pays them to come out? It's the reason Aqueduct is shown on tape delay when their meet is running. Same deal when they were at Tampa bay for the Derby.

I will agree they are good for the game to an extent. I can only watch certain personalities the others leave much to be desired. Perloff, Mirahmadi, Sarge, Christina. and a few others are good listens. But do I have to hear "are there any easier tracks" when they pick a few winners? Or a host saying the 10 leaves from the second tier at the Meadowlands. Do I need to hear and see a whip in the background of the set when the trotters are running?

I will give them kudos that they take feedback and I guess listen a little. I'm under a different name there and I stated how can your host constantly say I'm confident about my P4? My response was "who isn't confident when they're making a bet there's no reason to hear that stuff especially when he loses there's not another peep". Shortly after my post he has stopped saying it I will give him huge credit for that.

I guess it's like regular TV or sports. You like certain teams or personalities the others you just change the channel.

One thing I really don't understand is that they don't go high def. Most tracks don't use that capacity yet but Keeneland sure does. The Derby will look great on NBC I did a side by side comparison last year and it was a no brainer.

TommyCh
04-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Churchill and Keeneland are in hi-def and I watched an NYRA recap show and they had Aqueduct races in hi-def. TVG needs to get hi-def. I wouldn't know about HRTV. I don't get that channel.

lamboguy
04-22-2010, 01:16 PM
with all the shortcomings that TVG has, compare them to HRTV where all they can do is scare you away from the game. when listening to Gary stevens and Laffit Pincay jr. all they tell you i show great the rider rode the race to get the horse to finish 3rd. i listen to jeff siegal when he is on and he seems to know less about his own horses than others, he is the head handicapper there. jeff is a great guy though and its probably not his fault for what the content is on that network. they have a very poor production staff unlike TVG.

Igeteven
04-22-2010, 02:16 PM
[QUOTE=lamboguy]you have to give TVG credit where it is due. they try hard

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

The Hawk
04-22-2010, 07:48 PM

It sure it, one of my favorites. Tampa is another.

Lasix67
04-22-2010, 08:56 PM
Personally I like both TVG and HRTV. They both have their perks that I enjoy. Sure TVG is more polished, but they both are good for the sport I love. I would like it more if they would go HD sometime in the future though.

InsideThePylons-MW
04-23-2010, 04:43 PM
Hollywood is listed on the RTN schedule tonight.

Amazing what a few "dumbest xxxxxxx humans on the planet" and "I refuse to watch the TVG clowns" emails strategically sent to the right people can do.

Foolish Pleasure
04-23-2010, 04:44 PM
excellent work