PDA

View Full Version : help with foxfire

HUSKER55
04-21-2010, 12:28 PM
i have decided to quit IE and went to firefox but I keep getting the message that they can't make a secure connection.

If I keep saying I trust the site they try to connect but it neve happens.

Ideas?

wilderness
04-21-2010, 01:35 PM
These most recent versions of FF are the most unstable that I've seen.

I was still using 2.0.? until Youtube required a newer version after March something. I'm not pleased.

I get a similar error as you multiple times each day and have found the refreshing the request (F5) or simply clicking the GO with your mouse, brings up the page.

DJofSD
04-21-2010, 01:56 PM
Are you at an office where the company might require use of a proxy server?

HUSKER55
04-21-2010, 02:40 PM
NO AT HOME

judd
04-21-2010, 06:32 PM
try google chrome

chickenhead
04-22-2010, 12:52 AM
is this when you try to access a site that has a secure sign in page only, like your online banking? I see that when I access my work email using FF, if the site uses https rather than http in some cases Firefox seems to get kind of bitchy, whatever the case is it doesn't handle it gracefully.

I agree with judd.

bigmack
04-22-2010, 01:51 AM
This is so freaky but I agree with Pollohead & Judd. :9:

http://popup.lala.com/popup/648799825788014928
Chrome
Ones And Zeros

KyRacer
04-22-2010, 01:59 AM
Some things you might try:

Go to Tools,Options,Advanced,Network,Settings(Configure how Firefox connects to the Internet). On my computer, the "NO proxy" is checked.

Also on my computer under Tools,Options, Advanced, Encryption, the Use SSL 3.0 and Use TLS 1.0 boxes are checked.

Don't know if that will help, but might be worth a try.

Under Tools,Options,Privacy: On my computer the "Automatically start Firefox in a private browsing session" box is unchecked.

If none of that works, try uninstalling Firefox and reinstalling it. After installing it, close Firefox and reopen it. You might want to restart you computer.

Put Firefox and "can't make a secure connection" in google search box for other suggestions.

Try installing the Google Chrome Browser and see if you have the same problem.

HUSKER55
04-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Thanks guys.
I regoogled chrome and came up with a different spot and it works fine.

The secure connecton link was with my bank as they don't recognize that browser at present. Guy said he would work on it because he uses it at his home so he has to check with the powers to be, I guess.

Youbet also does not recognize that browser but the girls said they were working on it.

I asked them why their wbpage said they took mozilla and firefox but not this and she said the IT people were busy and she would get back to me.

anybody want to bet when that will be?

Tom
04-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Since the last couple of upgrades(?), FF has been next to worthless.
Slow, hangs up frequently, won't do things it used to do....the only thing I use it for anymore is the "download them all" function. Other than that, IE is far better these days.

Tom
05-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Last few days FF has become totally useless. I am not using it at all anymore.
I wnat to remove the program and start over to see if that help, but will I lose all my bookmarks? Can I save them and replace them, or better yet, move them to IE, which has become a flawlessly, fast browser lately - FAR outperforming Fire Fox.

headhawg
05-01-2010, 11:34 AM
...move them to IE, which has become a flawlessly, fast browser lately - FAR outperforming Fire Fox.Tom. You gotta quit talking crazy now. :D

I use FF all of the time, and while it's not quite as fast as Chrome there are a lot of things that I still prefer about it. I make my living (in part) with M$ and I won't even use IE. :)

What kind of Add-ons do you have? Maybe it's one (or more) of those that is giving you problems.

wilderness
05-01-2010, 11:46 AM
FF does backupups of Bookmarks.

C:\Documents and Settings\YourComputerName\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xhlpnq59.default

bookmarks.html
bookmarks.bak

Just copy the files to where ever you like.

Tom
05-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Wilerness, thanks!

Hawg......noot sure - all I use is Download Them All.
If there are any others, I didn't knowingly add them. Maybe I should just get rid of them all?

I did install Super Anti Spyware recently....and it has proven to be a really intrusive POS program. I am dumping that one right now. The adware was far less problem than the cure! :rolleyes:

Tom
05-01-2010, 12:16 PM
Whoa Nellie.
Just got rid of some network frame add on and speed is easily 10x what it was. Assuming that add on was something from MS? :rolleyes:

Actually, almost every FF problem has disappeared now. I had a lot of trouble with that stupid thing in updates a few weeks ago....right around the time the problems started.

Hawg, :ThmbUp:

headhawg
05-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Yeah, that was one of the add-ons that I was thinking about. I disabled it and got better speeds as well. That's just M$ slowing down the competition. :D

Tom
05-01-2010, 12:28 PM
:D I agree.
Actually, the whole damn puter is humming along now.
I just opened Word in about 2-3 seconds.
This morning, it took three minutes!!

T H A N K S