PDA

View Full Version : Court bumped off Line of David

WinterTriangle
04-21-2010, 05:36 AM
Sadler going back with Bejarano, who didn't have a mount for the derby, and was on LoD for his first 2 wire to wire wins.

Too bad, I think Jon earned the ride, and he's a really nice guy, was hoping to see him get a break.

Maybe he'll get another mount and ..........win :)

jognlope
04-21-2010, 09:19 AM
Oh rats I was secretly hoping Jon would win the Derby, oh that makes me mad.

Hanover1
04-21-2010, 05:29 PM
This guy gets yet another twist of fate....Hate to see this happen.

Marshall Bennett
04-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Sadler's going with Bejarano because he's proven himself to be one of the top jockeys in the country . As much as I like Jon , you have to put it all in perspective . Bejarano's been on the horse before and knows him , Sadler would look like a fool to pass on him .

Skanoochies
04-21-2010, 08:21 PM
It`s a tough business, but money and owners rule.

Rackon
04-21-2010, 10:32 PM
Tough tough break for Jon - but I can understand why Saddler made the call. It's not unusual in teh Derby game, and at least Bejarano has had the mount before.

I like Jon, met him a few times when he was riding at HP and was really tickled to see him win with LoD. Hope he gets a good 'un in the KD some day.

PaceAdvantage
04-22-2010, 04:51 AM
When a trainer pulls this kind of stunt, especially on a veteran like Court, it should almost guarantee some funky mojo come Derby day....

joanied
04-22-2010, 09:26 AM
When a trainer pulls this kind of stunt, especially on a veteran like Court, it should almost guarantee some funky mojo come Derby day....

Yeah, it may come back to bite Sadler...Jon rode a great race on that colt...I can understand wanting someone with experience for the Derby, and someone that knows the horse...but IMO, Jon Court is as talented as Bejarano, and sure must have gotten acquainted with LoD quickly...he rode him like he's been on him before.
How many Dery's has Bejarano ridden in?

I get this...but it really sucks...Court can't catch a break.

Greyfox
04-22-2010, 10:29 AM
...but IMO, Jon Court is as talented as Bejarano, .

If he is as talented as Bejarano, you wouldn't know it from today's stats.

1. Bejarano leads all riders in winning earnings this year $4,247,968.

2. Bejarano 6 th in jockey standings for wins this year.

3. Jon Court doesn't make the top ten in either of those categories.

Bejarano has earned a ride in this year's Derby. If I were an owner it would be a "no brainer" decision who I'd chose between those two jocks.

joanied
04-22-2010, 12:37 PM

Bejarano has earned a ride in this year's Derby. If I were an owner it would be a "no brainer" decision who I'd chose between those two jocks.

OK...facts are facts, and needless to say I know Bejarano's record...I just think Court could ride LoD just as well...but, I sure could be wrong about that...I'll have to eat my words, and agree that Bejarano would be the best pick between the two...I just kinda feel really bad for Court...well, maybe he can pick up a mount and at least ride in the race. Also, Sadler is a class guy, so I imagine he did feel awful about taking Court off the horse.

Run Nicholas Run
04-22-2010, 07:33 PM
this move works for me, as he is
NOW an added toss :ThmbUp:

sandpit
04-22-2010, 08:57 PM

I wonder if he would have booted Calvin Borel off the horse in favor of Bejarano and his stats? Borel is no great shakes purses or percentage wise. Loyalty got Calvin his first Derby win, and blink luck the second. I agree with those that said this is bad karma for the horse. Bejarano has won just as many Derbys as Court, and Jon was riding at CD long before RB ever got on a horse.

Greyfox
04-22-2010, 09:45 PM
Jon was riding at CD long before RB ever got on a horse.

If Bejarano gets to that age and hasn't won, I'd pull the plug on him too.
You make my case with the comment above. The defense rests.

Greyfox
04-22-2010, 09:49 PM
Loyalty got Calvin his first Derby win, and blink luck the second. .

Where was Calvin's loyalty in the Preakness?
Calvin got the MTB Derby horse because others probably had first call and said no.
If you've got one chance to grab the "Golden Ring" and perhaps the only time you have in a lifetime, you don't give "loyalty" a second thought. Calvin showed you that.

JustRalph
04-23-2010, 12:13 AM
Testicles the size of Softballs got Calvin his 2nd Derby win..........

Don't forget how tight that hole was he went through on MTB

iDaRM1hcWXw

sandpit
04-23-2010, 07:40 AM
Where was Calvin's loyalty in the Preakness?
Calvin got the MTB Derby horse because others probably had first call and said no.
If you've got one chance to grab the "Golden Ring" and perhaps the only time you have in a lifetime, you don't give "loyalty" a second thought. Calvin showed you that.

I meant loyalty by Nafzger, not Borel. Sorry if I confused you. Calvin and his agent are like any rider/agent; they are going to go for whoever they think can get the win.

sandpit
04-23-2010, 07:46 AM
If Bejarano gets to that age and hasn't won, I'd pull the plug on him too.
You make my case with the comment above. The defense rests.

I don't disagree with your long-term premise, but your case was based on this year's stats, which don't correlate. Court may not be near the rider that Bejarano is in career terms, but I'd be completely comfortable having a man with his experience in the saddle come Derby Day.

Marshall Bennett
04-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Court may not be near the rider that Bejarano is in career terms, but I'd be completely comfortable having a man with his experience in the saddle come Derby Day.
Unless he got excited and did something stupid . How many derby's has he been in ? He's a good jockey with experience , but no derby veteren .
I don't blame Sadler for making the move . :)

Greyfox
04-23-2010, 12:31 PM
I don't disagree with your long-term premise, but your case was based on this year's stats, which don't correlate. Court may not be near the rider that Bejarano is in career terms, but I'd be completely comfortable having a man with his experience in the saddle come Derby Day.

For starters, what odds would you give Line of David in this race? I haven't seen too many handicappers here raving about his virtues yet. So there's a good chance that no matter who rides, he may not be there.
Having said that I'm glad that you'd be completely comfortable with Court in the saddle with your chance at the "Big Payday." What's a few hundred thousand dollars anyways when "loyalty" is on the line?
Secondly, Court rode in Southern Cal several years ago. He was a good rider but nowhere near the top of the Jockey Colony by a long ways. I simply used this year's stats as they were convenient to pull up.
Pull them up for any year and he's not top banana.
That he is a Hoosier legend is okay by me, but this is "The Biggest Race in America every year."

sandpit
04-23-2010, 04:57 PM
For starters, what odds would you give Line of David in this race? I haven't seen too many handicappers here raving about his virtues yet. So there's a good chance that no matter who rides, he may not be there.
Having said that I'm glad that you'd be completely comfortable with Court in the saddle with your chance at the "Big Payday." What's a few hundred thousand dollars anyways when "loyalty" is on the line?
Secondly, Court rode in Southern Cal several years ago. He was a good rider but nowhere near the top of the Jockey Colony by a long ways. I simply used this year's stats as they were convenient to pull up.
Pull them up for any year and he's not top banana.
That he is a Hoosier legend is okay by me, but this is "The Biggest Race in America every year."

I wouldn't bet Line of David if Bill Hartack was riding him.

I imagine every trainer is trying to get every edge they can. I remember when the sheikhs paid Jerry Bailey $50,000 when he didn't have a mount. I think it was Castle Gandolfo, who had no shot either, and ran like it.

Ironically, Court moved to So. Cal. after being persuaded by Doug O'Neill. Bejarano went because of Bobby Frankel. Interesting contrast between riding for quantity vs. quality.